Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom in desperate need of help!
lynne08
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought this house which needs every room to be repainted. This master bedroom/bathroom open onto each other, and building a dividing wall really isn't an option right now. Since the rooms flow into each other, painting is a dilemma. The ceiling in the bathroom is 12 feet high, and is bordered all around by openings as you can see in the picture. I am planning to paint the bathroom ceiling a darker color, even a brown, to make it visually lower. The color now throughout both rooms is a mint green. I want to paint the bathroom a different color to create a sense of separation between the two rooms, and am leaning towards a soothing sage green, but also love soft that colors that remind me of water, just not baby blue. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jordankeen10
You should get new floor (tile) and knock down the two walls of the shower to make a nice big shower instead of a small enclosed space
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:22PM
jordankeen10
Also, you could install a nice tinted glass sliding door to add some privacy
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:24PM
lynne08
Actually, that boxy area just to the left of the sh ower is where my refrigerator is housed in the kitchen. I mostly need some ideas for paint, and how to make a palette that works for both rooms, and will flow nicely. THe opening into the bathroom is actually larger than the picture shows, and has a jog in it, which is why I'm not adding a wall. It's cost prohibitive at this time. Thanks!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:37PM
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Changing the floors would really help lighten the room, also a nice blue grey in the bedroom and a clean solid white bathroom.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:42PM
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Here`s an example of the blue grey for the bedroom,
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:43PM
charleee
This is a great ideabook for using sea glass blue/green. When you have a minute look thru it, maybe you'll find some color ideas in here:
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:45PM
jenhendricks
I agree about the tile (make it heated for good measure). And to physically separate the space you could put in a partition Living Room
or, if it's more temporary, a light flowy curtain. Open-Plan Great Room the curtain or partition could be in a color that is neutral so that you could paint the walls any light green or blue you'd like. a really light teal would probably flow best. Do you know the name of the color you currently have in your room? You could go with a dark grey on the ceiling and a lighter grey in the area above the shower and closet. (you could also use this grey as your partition/curtain since it is a neutral color)
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:46PM
mrsmckay
Since you are only looking to change the color palette I would use the hardwoods to your advantage because they give a space texture and warmth I would go with a light sand or even a taupe in the bedroom so it remains somewhat neutral and then beginning on the wall where your vanity is choose either a darker brown in the same color family or go with a warm sea glass blue green or even a darker sage like you'd mentioned then add some darker rugs to pull the space together and visually separate it from the master bedroom all said it really is a beautiful space and has enormous potential just needs some TLC and a little face lift
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 1:00PM
jordankeen10
Definitely replace the floor...it will add a dramatic affect on everything...what floor do you have throughout the house?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:50PM
mpoulsom
I like your idea of a sage green.....you may want to paint the sage a couple of shades darker in your bedroom in the same color as your bathroom-to-be! Or vice versa. Not knowing what kind of furniture you have for the bedroom etc. it's hard to make a true call on this for me. There is also a very pretty color of paint called Stone Fence by Behr that I love (a blue/gray that works well with brown). Painted a friend's bathroom in that and you could go a few shades lighter in bedroom, or just use a nice light taupe color with it.
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 3:47PM
lynne08
Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. I agree, changing the flooring would be ideal, but this carpet runs throughout the entire house, and is just not in the budget right now. This house is definitely a project from top to bottom and has many beautiful, unique features, and everytime I go into a room, my mind just starts to race with everything that needs to be done. The best I can do right now is paint, because the paint colors throughout the house just depress me. I appreciate everyone's help!! Will post before/after when done~
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:50AM