Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Backsplash Help
chelseyangell
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a new kitchen--yea! However, I am having trouble deciding on a backsplash and range hood to tie everything together.

The granite is Kashmir White and the cabinets are white--not off-white at all. I was thinking a tumbled travertine with grays and beiges, but the samples I brought home looked pretty busy next to the granite. I love subway tile, but the kitchen opens up to a living/dining space, and I was worried the kitchen would look too "sterile" or bathroom-like.

The range hood needs to be ductless, but I thought a wide stainless one would be nice. The range itself is nothing special--but low maintenance with little kids at home.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
0825sam
I don't think subway will have a bathroom look especially if you do it in (one color of) the travertine you like. I also like the longer subway tiles in glass or porcelain - a bit more contemporary.
January 31, 2013 at 1:16PM   
January 31, 2013 at 1:17PM     
PRO
Lillian's Paintbrush
what about these? They're subway tiles, but not the traditional glossy white...much warmer
January 31, 2013 at 1:19PM     
kobley
I would suggest that whatever you chose tile up to the cabinets and behind the stove. White subway tile would look ok. There are ones that have a crackle type finish on them and look less bathroomy.
I think a stainless hood would look good.
January 31, 2013 at 1:21PM   
PRO
All About Interiors LLC
I like the idea of either the Ann Sacks Mosaic gray tile shown in AngieDesigns or a light gray subway tile. Neither will look too busy. Good luck
January 31, 2013 at 1:22PM   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
A clean and simple textured tile in porcelain in random pattern will be more interesting. Add some detail wth glass or stainles steel tiles.
January 31, 2013 at 1:23PM   
kobley
Ann Sacks is great but very pricey. Go to a good tile store and bring home some samples. Some of the suggestions given already are very good options.
January 31, 2013 at 1:26PM   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
I know this may sound alarming, but you have such little backsplash area, I think you should leave it as is, crisp and clean. Sometimes less is more.
January 31, 2013 at 1:33PM   
hmcmcd
We are in the process of redoing our kitchen too, very similar to yours, except we used quartz counters and I am having the same problem deciding on a backsplash... I don't want anything too busy but also don't want that sterile feel. Curious to see what you choose :)
January 31, 2013 at 1:33PM   
PRO
Stoneshop
If you like subway tile, how about a soft light gray? You could do it in either porcelain or glass--both would look nice.

[houzz=KitchenLab]

Another option is marble. You could do that in a subway tile shape or a smaller mosaic.

[houzz=White Galley Kitchen]
January 31, 2013 at 1:38PM     
PRO
Two cents more....................................Because your cabinets are true white and the counter tops have a polished, warm personality, I think that your backsplash would be awsome if you can combine both "flavors". In other words, use something with a natural stone look and sprinkle with shine. The black pendants are cool and industrial and since your counter stone has flecks of dark (brown-black) it would be beautiful to mix it up. Even if you keep with a subway style layout look for porcelain or stone cut into subway pieces. Some could be polished and some matt for a little sparkle.
January 31, 2013 at 1:43PM   
PRO
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I like Jeffrey Brooks' suggestion. I think you need to add a touch of warmth to avoid that sterile feel, and something with a little more interest and texture. There are so many great lines of tile out now that incorporate mixed materials. I don't know what part of the country you are in, but this tile for example from Arizona Tile is a stacked tile coming on mesh that uses glass mixed with honed and polished stones. It's definitely less expensive than Ann Sacks. Also, the linear feel will help mimic the grain flow of the Kashmir granite.

You definitely cannot go without back splash. It does serve a functional purpose as well, so you will need something, especially behind your stove.
January 31, 2013 at 1:48PM     
chelseyangell
That sounds great! I thought that the granite would have more cool tones, but there are definitely beige veins running through it. The white cabs almost look stark against it. Is there a specific thing I should ask for? "Porcelain subway" that has shine with variation in color? All of these suggestions sound wonderful!
January 31, 2013 at 1:48PM   
chelseyangell
We're in Ohio...the tile above is great, but I wonder...will it go out of style down the road? Would subway be more timeless/
January 31, 2013 at 1:50PM   
jordankeen10
Subway tile we'd also look fabulous
January 31, 2013 at 1:53PM   
PRO
Ditto JDM's advice. One last note; try to find a tile that combines the natural look with white glass. By including white your cabinets won't look out of tempo. There are dozens of companies producing lineal mosaic, it will just take some hunting. You might start online by "Google-ing" mosaic tile.......
January 31, 2013 at 1:56PM   
chelseyangell
Thanks again to all!!
January 31, 2013 at 2:04PM   
PRO
JDM Countertops, Inc.
Subway tile may be a little less trendy, but I can tell you from being in the stone and tile industry almost 20 years that no tile is immune to trends. Subway tile has even come and gone and come back...
January 31, 2013 at 2:05PM   
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
My choice would be marble mosaic tile.
January 31, 2013 at 2:40PM   
JUAN DAVILA
try this one
February 1, 2013 at 6:46AM     
Natalie
Hi---you really need a color of some sort for the backsplash. Nothing busy or with too much pattern/variation in color and design. The current color palette is so light and dull looking, all your beautiful elements just look washed-away. Subtle color will do wonders for your space. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
[houzz=Woolman Woods Model - Spring 2012][houzz=Knight Frank LTD][houzz=][houzz=Piano White][houzz=kitchen and baths]
February 1, 2013 at 6:58AM   
keestey
The tiles shown are lovely, but I agree with comment above. You will have so little space once your hood is in place, I would be tempted to paint it. Use a bold accent color tying into the living space.
February 1, 2013 at 7:04AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi chelseyangell!
Just another idea for you, I think a very subtle mosaic using buttery yellow tiles would really highlight the warmth of your granite, and help to make your white cabinets seem less sterile. Below is an example of tiles/mosaic from our site. Good luck!
February 1, 2013 at 7:56AM     
PRO
American Tile and Stone/Backsplashtogo.com
visit www.backsplashtogo.com for huge selection.
February 2, 2013 at 11:20AM   
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
I'm not sure how you feel about decorated kiln fired ceramic tiles for the back splash but I make and sell over 400 patterns. Most of the murals I make would fit in your area and are very affordable. Thank you and good luck.
February 3, 2013 at 5:06AM   
bojaby
Would you consider a black back splash to add contrast and coordinate with the beautiful pendant lights? Perhaps a larger subway tile or a black glass subway tile would look nice. For a less expensive and less expensive alternative you could paint the back splash in a bright color that you will also use in towels, small appliances etc. I am painting my back splash red with Glidden's high gloss gel paint. Another idea is to have glass cut to fit your back splash, paint one side and mount paint side down. It has a nice and unique look. Good Luck!
February 3, 2013 at 5:23AM   
feeny
I would choose a subway tile, but not in white. Pick another light shade from your granite, or a nice soft gray, and it will look classic. Beautiful kitchen!
February 3, 2013 at 5:42AM   
rinqreation
I'd choose a small black glass tile to match the lamps and appliances [houzz=Cove Finishings Hand Painted Glass Mosaic Subway Tiles] [houzz=Contemporary Kitchen Tile] or a light sandy grey matte porcelain tile to match the countertop (like the ones posted by Aggiedesigns). [houzz=KitchenLab] [houzz=Elegant Traditional Kitchen Beaded Inset] Neither choice will disturb the colorscheme nor look sterile. Sand looks classical and black will give it a more industrial feel.
February 3, 2013 at 5:51AM   
merngirl
Glazed subway tile in beige, with a gray undertone. Classic selections. Add interest with functional items on counter, though not too much. Portuguese pottery platter on plate stand in corner near refrigerator. Please rethink the tv blackbox on counter.
February 3, 2013 at 9:21AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
What do you think if its something like that ?! and you can find more on http://www.susanjablon.com/shop/glass-tiles-mosaic/tile-collections/marble-natural-stone-tiles.html
February 5, 2013 at 6:27AM   
Billie G
I always see tiles used as a backsplash. Is it possible to just use a sort of washable semi matt paint?
February 5, 2013 at 6:33AM   
JUAN DAVILA
if you want to paint it try this first paint it a gray flat color then with a sponge just lightly touch it up with white paint let thr gray show up ok that may be good an less money ok
February 5, 2013 at 6:40AM   
getahouse
Backsplash is easy and not very expensive to change out over time, so pick something you like now. I tend to like the long, thin linear tiles, or the subway tiles-- nothing too small and busy--because it tones down the busyness of the granite and looks very "in" right now. EVERYTHING comes in and out of style over time. That's design.
February 5, 2013 at 6:54AM     
rinqreation
Exterior wall paint will do. A friend of mine (with 5 kids) repaints it every 4 to 5 years. She told me even tomato-sauce and grease from chicken comes off quite easy with simply soap and hot water.
February 5, 2013 at 7:04AM   
flgrandma
I'd paint the back splash a color that ties in with your floor and the rest of the room. You need some color and this is the easiest and least expensive way to go. And, you can change it if you don't like the color. I'd go with a microwave/vent over the stove.
February 5, 2013 at 7:30AM   
bojaby
Ringreation did you really mean paint the back splash with Exterior paint? I have never heard of this but maybe it is more durable. Could you clarify? Thanks!
February 5, 2013 at 8:15AM   
rinqreation
Yes, a good quality exterior paint is washable and quite sturdy, so why not? I live in the Netherlands but my guess is the water-based exterior wallpaint here is similar where you reside. All you need is 2 or 3 inches of stone/tile (the same type of granite if possible) upright along the countertop, because that's the 'dirty edge'.
February 5, 2013 at 1:18PM   
Billie G
The solution above is exactly what we have in our kitchen. About 10cm of the same stone as the countertop and above that just paint in the same colour as the kitchen wall elsewhere. But the painter mentioned that it was a special mixture of latex and some oil based paint. Super easy to wipe off and works great for us.
We actually used it in bathrooms and toilets as well. I hate tiles on the walls, but that is my personal preference. The only tiles we have are in the showers. And you probably already guessed it. We live in the Hague, Netherlands!
February 6, 2013 at 1:05AM