Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
LIGHTING OVER KITCHEN ISLAND - HELP!!!!
Lisa-Marie Wells
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for the perfect light fixture for over my kitchen island. I HATE the fan and it MUST go!! The only problem is the ceiling height is very low. What ever type of light fixture I do end up getting it needs to be 20" or less. I originally wanted a little chandelier, but then again I thought of pendant lights......... I'm so torn, but need to get this done!! Suggestions?? Please!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Remove fan, get your mini chandiler. You need a decorative element that is center in your most used space. Do not settle for pendants. Pendants, while very popular have become common and over used in this type of application.
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 3:24PM
Lisa-Marie Wells
My thoughts exactly...however, I do plan on putting a chandiler in the dining room which is right off the kitchen. You don't think with such an open space that the two chandilers may be too much?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I like the Bolton or Hindu Lanterns from Pottery Barn. I think the pink hue of your cabinets are clashing with your backsplash and counter. I'd paint the lowers in a dark color pulled from the counter and the uppers painted the color of the island.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 4:16PM
alefantee
Try using a "3 of a kind" have three lights hanging down from the ceiling, I think that would compliment your kitchen beautifully.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:19PM
Lisa-Marie Wells
Can you recommend a color for the bottom cabinets? I have plans to paint all the cabinets. I was just going to paint them all the color of the island....
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:03PM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I'd like to see a closer up pic of your counter? Is the dark colour chocolate or charcoal?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:05PM
Lisa-Marie Wells
it is more of a chocolate brown.... it has specks of gray and black too.... my kitchen is very small. I don't want it to feel any smaller with dark cabinets.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
Benjamin Moore Middlebury Brown HC 68 for the few lowers. The pantry and uppers all the cream. It'll be beautiful!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Painting your cabinets all the same color will make it appear larger. Painting it two different colors is in vogue but will make it appear smaller.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:11PM
PRO
Merri Interiors, Inc.
I love the idea of adding a cluster of different height pendents and in no pattern can be very unique & eclectic.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:22PM
Lkristine
I would look for a smaller size pendant chandelier that comes with chain so it can be centered over your island, and you can make it the height you want, with a simple hook. I think you could definitely do a smaller size pendant chandelier and still do a chandelier in your dining room, as long as they are distinct to the space and don't compete for attention. Anyway, here are a couple of ideas. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dainty-Black-and-Crystal-4-light-Chandelier/6421555/product.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Iron-and-Crystal-3-light-Chandelier/3285775/product.html
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:47PM
Lisa-Marie Wells
I think the second one would work out great!! thank you!!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:50PM
mahguyver
I really like the island. Where is it from? Thx
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:01PM
Lkristine
I just saw comments about your cabinets, and that you want to paint them. So, that being said, I would paint your cabinets the color of your island, and then paint the island dark espresso color or black. I would however, not, paint the cabinets 2 different colors for the base and wall cabinets.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:04PM
suzyscorner
I would definitely go darker with the cabinets, especially the lower ones! I'd also suggest looking at some different ideas before you decide for sure... paint the lower ones and take a few days, if you think the 2 colors (top one and bottom another) does not look right then you can either paint the top to match or maybe a lighter version of the bottom! I LOVE your counter and you should show it off by uncluttering it! Loving the chalkboard on the side of your pantry too! :0)
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:15PM
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 6:17PM
Lisa-Marie Wells
AFTER!!!
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 4:59PM
brody1313
I vote for chandeliers, no two will not be too much....they have such a great selection....will be easy to coordinate two......pendants are so over done, and have never been my favorite.....love your island!
1 Like   April 5, 2013 at 5:05PM
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
It looks great !! Here is another example
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 7:12AM
Lisa-Marie Wells
Thank you!! LOVE this cabinet combo!! Thank you!!
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 5:01PM
ncdiy
What about these beautiful pendant lights from Lantern & Scroll (find them on Facebook or www.lanternandscroll.com). These are from the Queen Street Collection. They are great to work with and really reasonably priced. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 7, 2013 at 7:54PM