Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with my kitchen's beauty.
kellydemuth
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love some advice on how to deal with this awkward space above the stove.I want ventilation and am having trouble visualizing it.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
alefantee
It's hard to imagine it for me too, probably because the area above the stove isn't wide enough..... Would you be up for a simple spice shelf with a light attached to it? A backsplash would also make this kitchen look a lot more modern.
January 31, 2013 at 4:33PM     
onthefence
I hate to say this but that is just a really bad layout. The only thing I can think of that might work would involve changing stoves and hopefully being able to install a downdraft behind it.

How did the designer show it being vented?
January 31, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, the designer of this kitchen needs a little 'talk' outside.

A smaller hood fan shaft would be ideal in this situation.

SEN Design Kitchen & Bath Professionals

Honua
January 31, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
KJ Tiles Artistic
Adding attractive hardware and knobs will surely add color as well as a finishing touch. A mosaic of colored glass or stone will break up the monotony in this kitchen.
January 31, 2013 at 4:49PM     
onthefence
If exchanging the stove is an option at this point, I'd certainly do that. I'd talk with whoever is doing the building and see if you have the ability to modify for a slide in range. The biggest issue I see is that the back of the stove overlaps the trim at the window.

If you CAN do a slide in, you may be able to do a downdraft. Or you may be able to do a vent hood that is narrower than the range. From what I understand, that isn't the optimum solution for a gas range. Having a gas range, I'd be willing to bet that ventilation is code in your area. It's recommended to have a certain # of CFMs for your vent for the # of BTUs your stove produces.

If nothing else, I think I'd stop where you are now and seriously evaluate your options before you get further into the project and it costs more to remedy.
January 31, 2013 at 4:53PM     
kellydemuth
The talk outside that would be for me , I am not a designer . My husband and I built this house ourselves. The plan for the countertops is bright turquoise "Glasscrete" . I was entertaining the idea of a tile that might tie in the stainless and the tourquoise elements. This is a result of recycled cabinetry and yes poor design .
January 31, 2013 at 4:58PM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
A smaller hood like Dytecture recommended would probably be your best bet! This is obviously not the best layout for a kitchen! A smaller hood is the best solution without making some bigger adjustments to the space.
January 31, 2013 at 5:01PM     
kellydemuth
Here is a sample of the future countertop color the edges will be more rounded
January 31, 2013 at 5:04PM     
onthefence
Just my opinion here, but you've got a few issues to address before you get to the countertop. And that is beautiful BTW!

Is exchanging the range for a slide in an option?

I'm really hoping an experienced kitchen designer chimes in here. I'm sure they'd have better suggestions and ideas.
January 31, 2013 at 5:14PM     
goldwork
I would go for something that really pops for the counter tops; like black granite. Too much brown wood floor, brown wood cabinets, brown wood ceiling, brown wood trim. I'm a woodworker and I love wood but too much of the same thing is boring. Perhaps a tall triangular shape for the hood. Something like a tall skinny stainless pyramid, or alternately a straight 10" stainless pipe, about 6" standoff from the wall, with a round glass flange bottom. Maybe a patterned glass tile back splash. Use your tourquoise concrete on the island perhaps.
January 31, 2013 at 5:16PM     
PRO
Robin Straub
Maybe a recessed niche with a nice design or some type of
Mosaic inside. I would definitely add a backsplash around the rest of the cabinets also to pull it all together.
January 31, 2013 at 5:17PM   
PRO
Robin Straub
Another cabinet over it would help also
January 31, 2013 at 5:18PM   
kellydemuth
Thanks onthefence your answer got me thinking about exchanging that range .
January 31, 2013 at 5:19PM     
onthefence
You're welcome kelly. As I see it, you're at a point where you're still able to make some changes fairly easily with what you've got. Once that countertop is ordered and cut, things can get a LOT more expensive and difficult.
January 31, 2013 at 5:22PM     
0825sam
I am not an expert but if it's not too late can you do an under counter oven where your current range is and a cooktop on your island?
January 31, 2013 at 5:26PM     
kobley
I would put a cook top in your island with a downdraft. If you don't have a piece that will fit the hole left by the stove perhaps an open shelf area for cookbooks or platters. Can you get under the house to put in a vent?
January 31, 2013 at 5:27PM     
kellydemuth
I agree about the monotony goldwork there is quite a lot of wood in this house,thankfully we are still in progress and I have so many options
January 31, 2013 at 5:27PM   
onthefence
I actually like sam0705's idea best for cooktop and range but I know that's going to be a more expensive process. If sam's idea is workable, that would be preferable to the slide in IMO.
January 31, 2013 at 5:32PM     
Kathleen Amatangelo
Where is the required stove vent? Once that is in place, then the back splash area can be addressed. It is not safe/code to leave a stove without a vent source.
January 31, 2013 at 5:37PM     
Dixie Henrie
I would go to whatever expense is necessary at this point and get a built in stove/oven over in the island. It's just in the worst spot imaginable where it is right now. How will it vent? It's always going to look wrong if you leave it there.
January 31, 2013 at 5:39PM     
woofwoof
ok....ready for reality? Yes, this is bad design. The stove should be centered on that wall, not off to the side. Lose the window. Relocate the stove (which is perfectly dandy by the way), get a proper vent hood over the top, then see if you could make a couple of smaller windows on either side. Either that or move the whole thing to your island, iif you can run the gas and punch up through the ceiling....But the first idea is optimal. P.S. Downdrafts are horrible and don't do a good job, do not bother.
January 31, 2013 at 5:39PM     
Kathleen
I think Dytecture has the right idea. I would use small glass tile running up and use a smal scale hood. Looks great in the photo he shared!
January 31, 2013 at 5:40PM     
Valerie
The light above the sink needs to go, it doesn't match the space. Something more masculine/modern in a chrome or satin nickel finish. I would probably do a hanging pendant with some type of metal finish to go with that wood grain and the shape of the window frames. What you have now is a flush mount boob light. Hate those.
January 31, 2013 at 5:44PM     
PRO
The Art Institute of Pittsburg
I agree with Dytecture... And I think the hood on the left would be ideal. I am not a professional but I am in my 3rd year of my bachelor's for Interior Design and I agree with all of the comments above. The layout is not ideal for this kitchen and I thing a range on the island would be more efficient and more appealing to the eye. The placement of the stove here would be be alright with a 'one wall' kitchen, but definitely not for an island. Take a look at this website for a visual: http://www.calfinder.com/blog/kitchen-remodel/the-science-behind-kitchen-layout/
January 31, 2013 at 5:45PM     
Kathleen
woofwoof's ideas are good but it might not be financially feasible at this point for the homeowner.
January 31, 2013 at 5:46PM     
onthefence
I agree houseproud. I think the suggestions some of us are making are based on getting the best possible result for the least expense.
January 31, 2013 at 5:48PM     
Dottie Sellick
try a slide in and a great splash see pics
January 31, 2013 at 5:50PM   
Dottie Sellick
this
January 31, 2013 at 5:52PM     
Susan Soto
sorry - have to say this is a terrrrible layout! not only esthetically but functionally what if someone is loading dishes while someone is at the range? and general flow - ugh.
put the range in the island - can even do an induction stove top and put the oven or ovens somewhere else. Please do something. We have a new home and are stuck with what the builder did - luckily its not this bad however they fail to think in your best interest.
January 31, 2013 at 5:54PM     
Laura Moser
Stainless steel appliances energy efficient. dark cherry wood cabinets. Perhaps darker floors. new paint color. Your choice. Garnet counter tops. Or if you wanna be good to the environment recycled counter tops. They can be somewhat cheaper. And the can be stylish too if you shop in the right place of course. hopes this helps. and yes a def hood fan shaft! :)
January 31, 2013 at 5:54PM   
Terri
If you can't move the range to the island, can you move it to the corner
January 31, 2013 at 5:55PM     
Susan Soto
That Honoa range with the red knobs is a fabulous piece of equipment - get that or an induction
January 31, 2013 at 5:56PM   
kellydemuth
I wish I could put a cooktop in the island , but alas the hubbie is not willing to do too much more at this point as far as moving the gas lines or plumbing.
January 31, 2013 at 6:02PM     
Sophiane Charlebois
I was just about to post this picture before seeing Terri's post. The corner oven would definitely be your best option. Once the oven is centered in the corner, there would probably still be room for one cabinet on either side of the range.
January 31, 2013 at 6:04PM     
suzyscorner
I'm with onthefence, definitely change out the stove for one without the back... I wouldn't want to put the cooktop in the island, that's going to be a nice counter top to have but at the same time, if you are planning to put curtains or something on the window for privacy you could have a fire hazard! Goldwork has the right idea on the counter idea, use the turquoise on the island and maybe a black counter for along the walls (something that gives more options in case you want to change out your colors later). I can't wait to see what you do with it! :0)
January 31, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Lynn Brokaw
I love the tourquise counters that you have chosen. And while many of the suggestions offered are good, some are terribly expensive to do. If you have the option, a drop in stove would be wonderful, however be careful with curtains at the window. Moving it to the island would be good, and there are some really nice hoods with stacks that could run down from the ceiling if possible. If you cant move it...and cant replace the stove, consider top down/bottom up blinds instead of curtains, and do a smaller hood in stainless with a stainless stack running up the wall for visual interest. The only other thing i would do would be to change the cabinet color. If you lightly sand them, a good gel stain will hold. With that in mind you can go darker, or go with the whitewashed or limed look...or just outright paint them. Doing it yourself is a learning experience, but it really makes you appreciate it when its done. Good luck!
January 31, 2013 at 6:06PM     
Jayme H.
pics
January 31, 2013 at 6:09PM     
carolineve
My kitchen has a similar layout, but my range is a slide-in downdraft in the island with the sink and counter behind it. That proximity of the sink to the range is very convenient. For example, if I'm making pasta, I can just pull the pot off the stove and turnaround and drain the pot into the sink behind me. The way the range is placed in this kitchen, you'll have to carry that pot full of boiling water a little ways to the sink. It might not seem like it's very far, but you will have to be careful of kids or pets underfoot every time you take something hot from the stove over to the sink!

I vote for moving your range to the island

If you go with a slide in range with a built-in downdraft, you have limited choices. When we bought our stove, the only options for this were made by Jenn-Air. If you go that route, do not buy the Jenn-Air downdraft that that comes standard with an indoor grill and only 2 burners. If you want 4 burners, you have to buy the burners and replace the grill. And the replacement burners don't cook at any temperature lower than medium-high (no matter what the temperature knob says!)
January 31, 2013 at 6:10PM     
kellydemuth
ok ok you guys are on a roll here , moving the range to the corner seems more feasible .
January 31, 2013 at 6:12PM     
Katherine Leonard-Hopkins
If you had the sink under the window, than you would have plenty of space to put the stove and a vent above it. If I were to buy a house, the sink would have to be under the window. Doing dishes it's a must..:)
January 31, 2013 at 6:15PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
OK, practical now. The answer to the questions above....do you have access to the floor under the island? A cooktop placed there will be a difficult task, especially if there is not a 36" cabinet available to put it in. Get a lay out of the current cabinet plan out for us. The cooktop will need both gas and electric. Then we need to talk about the hood. It needs power too, so a circuit from somewhere else in the kitchen needs to be channeled through the drywall and rafters, over to the location and run long. A big whip out of the ceiling. The hood needs to be directly over the cooktop, so we have to hope that the rafters are not in the way. Use a stud sensor and find them. If it is trusses, we punt and try to use a smaller hood in the existing location, per Dytecture's idea. Not to code and not too efficient, but it may get past the inspector. It will look unhinged...we are scrambling now. Look for a built in oven that can fit the existing range opening with some adjustment to the side cabinets....filler strips are probably the best bet. If necessary, we can drop the counter top in that location for an intentional baking center look. Get back to us with the answers regarding access and rafter layout. Then make this your mantra....Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. We can get out of this bind. Let us know how it is working out! BTW, Susan, never heard of the Honoa range with red knobs....googled it and got bupkus.
January 31, 2013 at 6:17PM     
PRO
JMH Designs
I have been designing kitchens for 10 years now and I have to say that there should have been a designer involved. The best design would have been to not have a window on the stove wall and have put the stove in the middle of that run. If you wanted windows on that wall then you could have done narrow windows on either side of the stove. With that said if you are committed to the stove where it is then I agree with some answers here and get a slide in range downdraft model like this Jenn-Aire. Then do some cool tile design up the wall. It also looks like you need more task lighting in the kitchen.
January 31, 2013 at 6:17PM     
sylviasbiz
Honestly.... rip it out and start over again... Only this time hire a real kitchen designer.
January 31, 2013 at 6:19PM   
onthefence
Fair enough kelly about hubby not wanting to do more moving of gas/plumbing.

I'd really look at the slide in range. There are a lot of different brands available. This would expose your great woodwork detail at the window. It *may* give you the option of downdraft venting (something you'd have to do a bit more research on) or allow you to do a vent hood. The hood would need to be narrower than the range but I think you could get sufficient CFMs in a narrower hood. The pics below are just a couple styles. I'm sure you could find a style that suits the style of your home.

One of my big concerns about venting is that in many localities it's LAW. If you were to have a fire and didn't have the required venting, it could invalidate any insurance claims. Obviously if it's law it's because it's a safety issue. Additionally, without venting of some sort, you're going to have cooking odors thru your whole house.

As I mentioned, I'd really suggest you pause and do some research while you're at a stage where you can make changes without too much cost.

Congrats on your resourcefulness!

LUFTIG HOO C50 S Exhaust hood
Cavaliere Euro AP238-PSD Wall Mount Range Hood
Sophiane Charlebois
I just graduated from Design school. Although I don't have a lot of experience yet, the corner oven is what I would recommend if you were my client. The layout isn't that bad really, just the placement of the oven is. It's workable!
PRO
Ironwood Builders
OOOOH, ARRRRGH! wood ceiling. Cutting out a board or six is gonna be necessary to get the electrical over to the island hood. Downdraft now is a viable, though less than effective option. Vikings downdraft is best. Not cheap but it functions best. So now we need a big hole in the bottom of the cabinet and need to know where the floor joists are in relation to the hoped for 36" base cabinet. Get back to me asap and we can go over how the diagram the framing on a cabinet plan.
January 31, 2013 at 6:21PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Susan...fooled me! The Honua is a photo credit for a Wolf range...need to pay more attention to the thread.
January 31, 2013 at 6:23PM   
kbw1207
Move the range to the corner and move the cabinets to the range location. Add deeper color to the cabinets and stainless steel, decorative knobs. Try black countertops (quartz) and save the turqoise for the island. Pick up the turqoise in a backsplash of small glass tiles mixed with other calm colors--perhaps, white or gray--or turqoise with a splash of color. Definitely move the stove!
January 31, 2013 at 6:26PM     
mnmom30
With all the negative comments here, I would like to add that I like the overall feel of this kitchen. The angles are interesting, the wood tones nice, extra island space to work, open feel, plus big windows. Okay, so the range position is odd, but I've seen worse designs - at least the dishwasher is next to the sink! So don't too discouraged - you have some great elements here, too.
January 31, 2013 at 6:26PM     
bclowg
Agree with the poster that suggested moving the cooktop to the island. It would be less awkward to cook out in the open than right in a corner. Love the turquoise counters, but I think you need a dose of white in the kitchen for some contrast to the wood. Here's what I would do if it were my kitchen: 1) paint the lower cabinets white 2) install a built-in oven where the stove is 3) move the cooktop to the island 4) remove the upper cabinets and either put shelves, or artwork! 5) white or glass subway tile backsplash (do not match the countertop!) 6) install pendant lights in strategic places since you have such a high ceiling
January 31, 2013 at 6:29PM   
Yan Hughes
chalk board on the wall and a pendant light over the stove
January 31, 2013 at 6:34PM   
Marijane Hurley_Finlay
the range should be moved. If you can't, the cheapest option would be to put a short cabinet over the range with an over the range micro/hood combo. But really, the range should be moved. That type of kitchen would do well with glass mosaic for a backsplash - something muted to blend and not contrast with the countertop. Please don't do white subway tile - that really has to be done well and not with so much wood.
January 31, 2013 at 7:02PM     
nvang
If you take the range and build it into the corner, then remove the upper cabinets. You can then use an exhaust hood, as mentioned by "onthefence". Change the lighting over the sink to a drop type of pendant. Once you have removed the upper cabinets in the corner, you could do open shelving on either side of the corner range, and hood. I would then paint out the moulding around the windows white to match the white vinyl on the window. As everyone has said there is a lot of golden tones. The blue countertop is lovely. Don't know if it's an option, but you could also paint the island in a different color for a little more contrast.
January 31, 2013 at 7:13PM   
PRO
Laura Vlaming | Arkiteriors
I agree with JMH for the most cost effective solution, however, the optimal solution, as stated earlier is to move something to the island. Either A: a single oven under the counter at the window wall, at the extg. location and a cooktop/downdraft at the island, OR B: install a slide-in range at the island (w/ downdraft)...either would work. The range option must be centered...not on an end. I would build a low height wall (42"h) behind the island, for a raised seating area, to conceal the cooktop/range top, from view and give you room for mechanicals. Explain to hubby that moving elec/gas, at this point is not a huge expense in the long run, 'cause in 5-10 years, you'll be begging for a new kitchen (can you give up something else, somewhere else in the remodel to pay for it?). Installing a ventilation system over the cooktop in its existing location will look awkward, and there are huge safety concerns with putting any window treatment on that window, so close to the range.
January 31, 2013 at 7:32PM     
Elizabeth Bishop
For the negative comment about downdrafts, I have a Dacor cooktop with a downdraft on my island and love them both. I love the view from the island into the room. As a designer, I recommend that you spend the money now to fix the problem before you put on the countertops. Visually, the kitchen is off, and working in it would be worse. Convince you husband otherwise. If you ever have to sell, that will be a real issue for the buyer. The corner stove is the best option to keep the cost down.
January 31, 2013 at 7:39PM     
Grace Reed
Kelly, I really agree with onthefence. Is there is a kitchen designer where you bought your cabinets and/or appliances? If so, I would ask for their help in taking all of the factors into account and coming up with a plan.
January 31, 2013 at 7:45PM   
syd34
With the layout you have, would you consider a cooktop and oven underneath in the island? The layout is so weird, the stove just doesn't really fit anywhere. Where the window is on the stove side, should be wall, then you would be fine.
January 31, 2013 at 7:46PM     
PRO
Renaissance Designs and Staging
You need unity and balance when incorporating your hood. Add shelves on either side of your sink window and to the left of the other window similar to those in the photo but not as contemporary. Then, add a hood over the range that is boxed in similar to the photos that match the cabinets. The built in hood cabinetry should come forward a bit from the face of the existing cabinetry. It would be nice if the added cabinet could have a shelf or operable cabinet doors instead of a solid face like the ones in the photos. Extend the top of the hood cabinet higher then the existing cabinets and across the top of the windows as a shelf. When it reaches to left side of the window, add multiple shelves below or add a cabinet that reflects the styling of the hood cabinet. This will give a unified look to the cabinets and hood. Add a tile or beadboard backsplash and beadboard around the island. Change the light fixture over the sink to a drop down one that extends closer down to the sink and window. Lights under the shelf that runs over the other window would be nice. Match the styling of the existing cabinetry, trim around the windows and molding at the top of the cabinets. Good luck!
January 31, 2013 at 7:48PM     
Angela Himmer
Here is the range I own and a matching venting hood, both are 30"
January 31, 2013 at 7:50PM     
syd34
If you can't do my first answer, then My advice is to get rid of the window and move your stove over and have two side windows. Slide one of the cabinets where the stove sits now and that should be okay.
January 31, 2013 at 7:56PM     
kwinc
No other option but island.... Don't be silly or shrink some windows....
January 31, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Lyle McCullough
Kelly, I am sorry. It is difficult to give advice not knowing all the particulars such as BUDGET. You say your hubby is not willing to make drastic changes but to make it right, you will have to. A new home and you are not going to be happy with this kitchen unless you make those drastic changes. Finishes and colors can always be changed later as money and time becomes more available but you really need to address that range placement. Also, there is minimal upper cabinets. Not that you need tons of them but you have more glazing area than is really needed for the space. If you have tremendous views, that would be a different story. How about Microwave location? Of course you don't want to move that range under the window but as it is, the back of it is covering a portion of your molding so it looks goofy. Store bought cabinets are modular so you can make some of these changes fairly simply. If you don't buy a new cooktop and put it into the island, then move it to the end of your cabinet as it appears that you have some room there. You can perhaps pick up a couple upper cabinets to straddle the large framed window and give you a bit more storage and you can terminate the range hood into them. Moving the range to that end really screws up the work triangle but at least you get it out of the corner. I feel bad for you guys...but you can make it right. All that is needed is $$$ and some work. Good luck.
January 31, 2013 at 8:48PM     
gozogirl52
I would have bought a cook top and put it in the center Island and put an oven under the other window
January 31, 2013 at 8:48PM   
margo720
Maybe a microwave-hood combo?
January 31, 2013 at 9:08PM     
jingstad
I would definitely replace the stove with a slide in style....then a glass tile backsplash to compliment your island countertop. A stainless "chimney style" vent with glass hood would work in that narrow space beside the window. On the other side of the window, you could place a wall mount stainless spice rack/s to balance the area. The stove definitely needs to change as the back of the stove coming in front of the window just emphasizes an awkward placement. The best all around solution would be an island range with the oven placed in the present spot. It will be a beautiful kitchen when completed. You owe it to yourself to make the small change now...you will be much happier in the long run.
January 31, 2013 at 9:26PM     
kellydemuth
being realistic.....now that we have a finished floor plan, pulling a propane line into an island is no small task. I agree that the placement is awkward...lil lack of planning from our "architect/husband". none the less, propane finding its way into that island would be a hefty challenge. I appreciate the comment
January 31, 2013 at 11:42PM   
onthefence
The floodgates certainly got opened on you eh? You've got to be feeling a bit overwhelmed right now!

It looks like your best options at this point seem to be:

Slide in Range (clears the window trim/allows for a good backsplash/possible downdraft. May be addl cost to adjust cabinetry) Then either downdraft vent or narrow vent hood.

Move existing range to the corner (will need to remove and modify both upper and lower cabinets. Will still need venting of some sort but gets you further away from the window).

Leave range where it is and install a vent hood. (hood will have to be narrow. Range will overlap window trim).

I honestly think that going without venting of some sort isn't an option either for safety or practicality.

Look at your options and decide what will work best for the way you cook, the way you live and the funds you think you can allocate to the change.

I understand that as wonderful as many ideas are, some things just cost a lot of money that simply isn't available. Making the workable best of what you have seems to be a wise choice IMO.

Wishing you the best!
February 1, 2013 at 12:18AM     
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Presuming you can't move appliances around..... here is an idea... search this web sit for possible hoods. http://www.faberonline.com/photogallery/orizzontephotos.html Faber has a number of stylish & unique shapes for hood fans. This link is just one possible model. Also you could install an Inca Smart fan over your stove built into a cabinet. they are quite narrow so would fit in a 30" space without a problem. But I think a freestanding metal one will be more "airy". I would consider the slide in range as many have mentioned, but you may not have the correct spacing as many require a 3/4" spacer either side of stove where the trim at counter level wraps around otherwise your top drawer will not open. 2nd. remove the trim from the window. Why? because that will give the illusion of space. Pick a fabulous mosaic tile to complement your proposed counter surface. a touch of the blue green, tan & whites to integrate your colour palette. use the tile as a back splash & wrap it around the window opening return and even do the sill & the underside of lintel. Tile across the top of window too. I would probably trim out both window this way. 3rd--Also, finish off the sides of your fridge with full side panels down to the floor. Add another open shelf to left of fridge to even out the spacing either side of that window. If you are tight to window by range, you need to echo that at sink window ( but maybe not quite so tight!!!) 4th----improve your lighting. A vaulted ceiling has to have dropped fixtures. the one over your sink is only suitable for a flat bedroom or hallway ceiling. A fixture that has a bar with 2-3 pendants suspended over it will be more fitting. Look for a fixture that is available in several sizes as a coordinated set that can you can also pick a model for over the island and the other window. should you not wish a dropped fixture in front of the window, go for a light bridge with recessed mini pot lights . This will give you a steady wash of light right in your working area. I've also seen many "platforms" suspended over islands with lights or a beautiful dropped pot rack with lights integrated into the rack. That would be attractive too. 5th--- gather all the elements together with research on sizes & possible solutions..DO NOT BUY ANTHING UNTIL... you .then consult with a professional kitchen designer in your area. the $200-500.00 you may spend for a few hours consult, will more than pay for the end result. They can guide you with the refinements of how to make this all work. ELLEN CRYSTAL ~URBANA KITCHENS.
February 1, 2013 at 12:43AM   
PRO
I should have added http://www.hubbardtonforge.com/ as possible, fabulous lighting ideas. Rustic, earthy, artful fixtures that would have real presence in your space. another idea is to put a sconce light on wall either side of your sink window... then would make sense why there is wide space there!
February 1, 2013 at 12:50AM   
marchmain
Timber timber timber.....it's the neatness of it that works as much as anything. I think aside from the oven issue, the cupboards in the corner need to go...
February 1, 2013 at 1:04AM     
Candy Giard
Does it have to stay there? It would great in the island with a cool stainless hood above it. .
February 1, 2013 at 5:23AM   
saswom
slide the cabinet next to the stove up 3 inches and another wall cabinet over a microwave which is another 3 inches higher than the one next to it so you have 3 levels and crown around each cabinet
February 1, 2013 at 5:59AM   
PRO
Simpkins & Associates, Inc.
Move the range to the island and either switch to a drop in or build up the back of the island to hide the back of this range. It looks like there is adequate room to build up the back and add an eating counter to make it all make that much more sense. You could also hide the back of the range in the island by adding a taller row of 1 foot deep cabinets that open to the opposite side and adding a countertop on those. That hides the back and gives you more storage, too.
February 1, 2013 at 6:27AM     
dhwaller
Poorly located, move it ti the island.
February 1, 2013 at 6:52AM     
aniluap2
Take out the upper cabinet to the right of the range, it throw s things off and either get another range with a downdraft or a narrow hood like dytecture or others have guested so it does not interfere with the window sill. If it is not impossible at this pont I would move it to your island with hood top above.
February 1, 2013 at 7:31AM   
PRO
Vicki's Kitchens
Check out my website...and feel free to email me for specific questions! I do kitchen consulting work. Thanks! Vicki www.vickiskitchendesigns.wordpress.com
February 1, 2013 at 7:37AM   
jingstad
Is there another spot you could place the refrigerator? You could move the stove to the spot where the refrigerator is located. This would give you plenty of options for an exhaust fan/microwave fan combo, etc. Then, where the stove is now...you could either make a planning desk with a drawer and stool under the counter, or put a nice wheeled cart to use for serving at the dining table. Y
February 1, 2013 at 7:48AM   
omafran
I would tile the whole kitchen,counter to ceiling. Subway tiles. S.S. hood. Would look amazing and very clean and sleek.
February 1, 2013 at 8:25AM   
PRO
Laura Vlaming | Arkiteriors
Kelly, you must be overwhelmed with all the comments you are receiving on this, however, it would be best to get expert advice on site. There are many variables that need to be looked at before implementing anything. Either with an experience kitchen designer or reputable contractor.

That said, here's another solution to throw into the ring. see below.... a quick sketch to illustrate the concept. The costs involved would be to replace the glass in the window, and exchange the range for a slide in. This solution does not follow NKBA guidelines, but if the window is non-operable, and the sill is a non-combustible material, it is acceptable, and makes a nice design statement. Of course, check local codes as well!

Good luck, and please let us know what you end up doing!
February 1, 2013 at 8:28AM     
smithlinc
Reconfiguration, it seems, is the only thing that will give more balance and create a bit better flow. Granted, it's all new and you undoubtedly have a budget to keep in mind. If getting a backless range and a hood that will work in the current space is something that you can live with for a long time, then there is your solution. It is YOUR kitchen and YOU have to be happy with the outcome. Based on opinion (and mine is one) you should find a different way to lay the space out before the countertops have you committed more than you are already. Perhaps lose some corner cabinets and move the stove a little to the right? Another idea is to move the dishwasher into the island and put the stove to the left of the sink somehow? I'm not a builder and do not know if these ideas can be done. I am, however, someone who has had to live with a poorly designed kitchen for a very long time and would love to have had the chance to have a say before it was too late. Good luck and congratulations on your new home!
February 1, 2013 at 8:34AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Do not do the blue countertops..a resale nightmare for starters, I always say if it is expensive and will be around a long time..keep it neutral..accent with whatever color you would like.
February 1, 2013 at 8:42AM     
kellydemuth
Thanks Margo720 for the image that really helps . I like how simply your response has made our problem reach some form of resolution. This home is a result of many hours of hard work by my beloved husband and our good friend. When we began we hired an architect who drew up the plans for us ,so this is what we built and now here we are. The light fixtures are temporary while I hunt for the right mix of artistic/ vintage /funky .The view from the window is fantastic ill upload more pix. Yes the stove is unbalanced there,I would like to replace it with a flat top type range when the funds are available. With that in mind I will tile the backsplash all the way down behind existing range. The microwave won't be necessary because we have been free for about 12 years now, i do like the continuation of the cabinets though. Window treatments are going to be roman shades set inside the casings, in hopes to avoid a fire hazard .
February 1, 2013 at 9:00AM     
aniluap2
Margo 720 had the simplest most cost effective solution. I agree with Barbara Griffith , color on the countertops will date the kitchen in a couple if years. We have been in corporate life and moved around quite a bit having bought and sold 11 homes in the process. When we went house hunting I could date the kitchen by the colors, backsplash, counters etc. the houses that always looked current are those that use hard surfaces that are not trendy. Save the color and personal preference for things that are more easily replaced like backsplash or wall color and you will never regret your choice.
February 1, 2013 at 9:33AM     
rhoffer
I think the design of where the windows were placed was the real problem!!! BUT it is what it is now... I think the idea of slide in stove with pretty decorative area on wall to cause "pop" of color would help. I think vent top is out of question bc that'd really be awkward now! Love the space though just think it wasn't laid out correctly from beginning:((. Best Wishes to you!!
February 1, 2013 at 9:41AM   
Susan Soto
All of the designers I have worked with suggested 'NOT' using placeholders - especially because you are on a budget. It is usually a waste of money.
I believe you could put an electric induction range in the island without much trouble and keep gas oven on the wall somewhere.
I echo a more neutral and durable counter top... We are stuck with granite the builder selected however the color is nothing I would choose thats for sure
February 1, 2013 at 9:42AM     
Susan Soto
Kelly - if you go with the range there it will be a nightmare to work in that space with the dishwasher and sink where they are. I think the corner would be a better option - though I hate having my head in the wall while cooking the corner would give you space on each side at arms reach. Even if you kept range on the side walls you could do drop in cooktop and ovens located elsewhere.

For sure consult with a designer -

Re: Hanoa or whatever I was referring to the photo title above I am not certain of the range manufacturer. It looks like a piece I am familiar with and I love the large range.
February 1, 2013 at 10:02AM   
cathyjoco
Congratulations on building your own house!

Could you remove the cabinet to the right of the stove and replace it with a smaller cabinet by 4-6 inches. Have another built to hold a fan or microwave....The existing cabinet could be moved to the left of the window...Put up a backsplash and curtains.
February 1, 2013 at 10:03AM     
cathyjoco
When you make the replacement cabinet it shouldn't be as deep as the existing cabinet.
February 1, 2013 at 10:04AM   
PRO
StoneImpressions
Beautiful Space! The cook top will look great in the corner. A backsplash would add some character to the space, as well. Take a look at some of our kitchen backsplash ideas. We hand print patterns, murals, and decoratives onto natural stone. Our tiles are sealed at our factory with an industrial sealer that works great in kitchens.

Please see some of our past kitchen backsplashes at this link: http://www.stoneimpressions.com/kitchen-backsplash-design-ideas/
February 1, 2013 at 10:17AM   
jgoodmon
Just a quick note to consider about Margo720s suggestion is to check if a microwave/hood is available in that width. It would need to be smaller than the range below it as she has shown in her mockup. Most are standard at 30"W. I really like Laura Vlaming's sketch as a possible solution. Looks like it just involves moving existing cabinets and replacing the window panes. Lots of work area around the range! Check the space between the range and island to ensure clearance for the range door and the ability to stand between the open door and the side of the island; might need to shift the island toward the fridge side of the kitchen a few inches. Since I'm commenting... go sparingly on the blue countertop... maybe just on the island!
February 1, 2013 at 10:23AM   
Susan Soto
I used to live in a house with a cooktop in island, sink behind and ovens off to the side - it was the best. Pots down below, easy access to fridge and sink and people loved to see what was cooking and I could interact and cook at the same time.

Induction just requires an electrical plug in and they are awesome to cook with and so easy to clean - many chefs prefer them and the technology has become quite advanced.
Really!!! If you look them up they all have detailed installation instructions and drawings attached http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02243920000P

would be great to change those corner cabinets too - those will be a nightmare as well... imagine trying to cook and people trying to access those cabinets even yourself while cooking! and someone having the dishwasher open or just other people in the kitchen! oy!

there's a photo of an induction cooktop for the corner - it actually looks quite useful too
February 1, 2013 at 10:26AM     
Susan Soto
And you have so many wonderful burner options with the induction cooktops ;) .... and! you don't need a hood. How fabulous is that ;)
February 1, 2013 at 10:29AM     
Candy Giard
Congrats on building your home. We built ours 10 years ago (took us 5 year to design) and trust me, there are things I would do differently in the kitchen next time. Our island has the 2 drawer dishwasher in it - now I would rather have the drawers separate and placed in different areas - like one under where the dishes are stored and one in the pantry.)
You learn a lot when you build a customer home. Hang in there.
Putting in another cabinet will give it some balance and Roman shades will look great. Good luck and enjoy your new home :) You and your husband will be happy when it's all done.
February 1, 2013 at 11:22AM   
aniluap2
Susan soto is right about professional chefs migrating o induction heat. It cooks like gas but cools down immediately once the pan is removed so no chance of burning yourself on a hot cooktop after the pots are removed. They're easy to clean but they are pretty pricey.
February 1, 2013 at 12:30PM     
madster572
Painting the cupboards a modern Pastel blue or bright whitey green, adding recycled bottle marbe surface to island , add backsplash and some modern vintage framed posters ect
February 1, 2013 at 1:00PM   
madster572
White ceiling would brighten the room , bigger lights hang lights
February 1, 2013 at 1:08PM   
Linda Knight
I would try a small stainless vent like this one. It's perfect with the stainless appliances and unobtrusive in the small space you have. Some of the responses you have gotten amaze me. It is the perfect example of how some designers simply do not listen and why many designs come in so over budget.
February 1, 2013 at 1:21PM     
PRO
Kevin's Kreative Renovations
If you leave the stove in the position it is in it will kill any future ideas of resale. The stove
NEEDS to be in the island. It is already to far away from the fridge as it is. Having so much wall space between the window and cabinets is a waste of area. It looks as if you are using off the shelf cabinets so you may not be able to get boxes to fill the area. Just dropping a narrow hood in above the stove is not a remedy for poor placement. You could put in a hood that is wrapped in wood at its current location and mimic the design on the other side of the window for balance, then have a stove without and upright. With those changes your back splash would continuous and the location of the stove would be disguised.
February 2, 2013 at 9:23AM   
PRO
Kevin's Kreative Renovations
One other thought for your kitchen is to paint the island a dark color. This will create a contrast to all of the wood finishes and make it more pleasing to the eye.
February 2, 2013 at 9:31AM   
woofwoof
There's lots of ideas here. Just remember this: settling with a design that not just subjectively "bad" but actually looks like a mistake will always feel like a mistake and you will never be happy. Especially when you have such a big, otherwise nice kitchen space which will probably be the heart of your home. Find the money to make a decent fix. Certainly moving the range either to the center of that same wall and boarding up the window, or possibly putting it in a corner are probably the most cost effective vs. moving to center island. Be aware that 45 degree angles are awkward, epsecially when you open and close. We have a sink at a 45 degree angle in a small kitchen and everything around (trash, dishwasher, drawers) it is inaccessible when someone is working at the sink or just nearby. You should have prep space on either side. So I still vote for removing the big window and putting it there. You could even add the small windows later to get light. But whatever you choose, don't do a downdraft. When they break, you 'll mostly likely have to tear everything up to replace. Appliance repair people don't want to touch them! Best of luck to you.
February 2, 2013 at 10:01AM   
stitzcrew
the only way to make it look like it belongs is to either move stove location or shrink the window to the left of it. I understanding wanting more light in a kitchen but having windows that take up important functioning space in the kitchen was probably the ultimate source of your dilemma.
February 2, 2013 at 1:23PM   
jkristamagee
Ironwood builders( for now on you are simply iron man to me lol) first off I just want to tell you thank you for being so professional and respectful with your help and ideas- better yet- your guidance! As for all of you commenting here as professionals, you guys need to slap the person responsible for making you actually believe you are in anyway almighty king of design - which is most likely yourself so slap twice and let the 2nd be from me :) ! My gah people - your opinions in design are just that- simple opinions. I do not care where you graduated how Long ago blah blah- obviously she knows the design needs work - which could be the reason she asked for some helpful ideas ya think? I didn't read the part where she asked for the professionals to sign in and use the comment portion as a way to put down on everything and act as unprofessional as possible. It seems that the best advice on houzz comes from the members not in this profession.
Now- the kitchen seems like its going to be absolutely stunning. Those blue counter tops are so eye catching. So you made a little mistake - no big deal . SOME of the ideas are helpful I think (but ya know , I'm not a "professional" so my opinions are not facts like the rest of the rude crown holders here :)! ) the island is an option but if your husband is like mine - he is probably really aggravated of the thought of starting over. I would think the corner option would be cheapest and easiest to accomplish and sweet talking hubby into accomplishing lol. Plus it looks very classy in my opinion - just try jot to stress to much doll- it will work out either way I promise! The Army has taught me a lot over these past years but the best advice being "improvise, adapt, and overcome" and that can be applied to EVERYTHING. Again- great job on your kitchen - I see it being beautiful.
February 3, 2013 at 12:12AM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Jkristamagee, Thanks for the compliment. I try to keep my answers and suggestions to the nuts and bolts issues and legal stuff associated with this forum. I do have opinions, sometimes can't help blurting them out. I spent a year in art school on color alone....but there are plenty of color people here and just a few of us that actually build things, so I try. That said, I've done the corner stove idea previously...has anyone done the math as to how far into the passageway the standard range will go on a 45 degree angle? Is there enough room without moving the island? The other question I need to ask...have we alienated our homeowner? Or her husband? Both? This post has become long and very opinionated. I haven't read all of it, just skimmed. If we can get a cabinet layout and the window locations, a measured drawing, we can be more helpful. But without the involvement of the person we are trying to help, we're just blowing smoke.
February 3, 2013 at 4:13AM     
jkristamagee
Very welcome- we all have opinions - and this site is a great place to express them BUT it should never require the cut downs to people when they are asking for help - especially not from professionals -!if ya can't help or can't say anything positive simply go to the next post- awesome you have that much school behind your work. I'm a RN In Mississippi with a minor i
Psychology. I've been in the Army since 17 - I love being a nurse but I live wearing my uniform more lol. I'm not sure if this owner has chose- I believe she expressed interest in the corner ideas. Bless get heart- she must be completely overwhelmed by all the polar opposites in the responses - iron man you could be just the one to help her solve it - I'm good at many things ---- but building isn't one ha ha
February 3, 2013 at 4:52AM   
Jayme H.
Being kind, thoughtful and courteous never goes out of style.
February 3, 2013 at 5:12AM     
sbear72800
Why don't you try adding some nice small double cabinets above your stove and some color to your kitchen?
February 3, 2013 at 5:16AM   
kellydemuth
Well, I realize this photo affects some designer folks at a gut level as just wrong. What i was looking for here was help that some people really provided, and I thank you all that were simple and to the point. Now I have a new problem, my dear sweet husband was really offended at the cut downs he read about all his hard work. I realized that opening up a discussion on a website like this was going to generate some constructive criticism, but i never thought it would be so deconstructive. I am an artist, I value critiques I also feel it is extremely important for your own credibility to offer a bit of positive info as well. Now my main man here doesn't want anything to do with this site, which is a big problem cause I am surfing Houzz all the time, showing him ideas I've gotten. I cant get him to do anything about our oven placement now.
Phew,all that said I am considering using the turquoise in only the island countertop. Im shopping for a small vent in stainless . We really don't have the funds to do much else at this point .I think our overall layout is just fine and I cant wait to cook in it. Aside from the oven overlapping the window sill this kitchen when it's finished will be pretty high end for our location, I am not worried about 'resale' value. thank you for your comments ill update when its finished
February 3, 2013 at 9:44AM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Kelly, My apologies to your husband, especially for my part in the discussion. I hope time and finishing the kitchen will ease his angst. Best of luck as you move forward.
February 3, 2013 at 10:56AM     
sjkingston
Margo's solution with the visual picture looks wonderful and it gives you a microwave. Otherwise you could install a stainless one that vents up or out, but I suspect it would be more work than Margo's solution which looks intentional. If you're building a house, you do what you and your spouse want. (A lot of times commenters go off on things that bother them rather than giving advice around the topic requested.) As an artist, those counters are gorgeous and will make you happy every time you walk into the house. Once you get your kitchen done, you can get off Houzz and on with your life!
February 3, 2013 at 11:12AM     
PRO
Kelly, Don't be discouraged. There are a number of good suggestions and reasonable approach to your dilemma. The folks that wholesale wish to "throw it all out" or are critical of the hard work & efforts you've made are not being sensitive to all the facts of what or how you made your initial decisions. While this forum has some helpful advise I do caution my clients that the "butcher, baker & candlestick maker" will all have an opinion. They may be very good at their professions, but not necessary pro builders or designers who solve problems like yours everyday. Review the comments that are constructive and weigh their merits. You'll have a very nice space & most enjoyed when you are able to share with your family & friends. Concentrate on range/hood as you've mentioned. Lighting & finishing details for balance along your sink wall... then the touch of colour & textures in tile, counters & accents that will make it yours! Best wishes
February 3, 2013 at 11:22AM     
Grace Reed
Kelly, more support from me as well. Some valid points about the location have been made but, that said, the only real issue - if we call it that - is aesthetics. The range and a hood or OTR microwave fit and will function 100%. And, I was pleasantly surprised by the picture showing the OTR and the c-top and how it could be tied into the overall look. I've wished so badly you could have walked into my showroom, whether before OR after the cabinets were bought and installed. I'm 100% sure that you would have left knowing what your options were and feeling good about whatever you decided fit your and your husband's needs, wants and budget. (By the way, putting the range in the corner would not have worked for several reasons, so, no need to sweat that option. It looks like you have 42" high wall cabinets. If you use an OTR, allow 21" min. between the stove top and microwave, per the manufacture's specs. This is especially important with a gas stove. There would be advantages to putting a hood there, with or without a cabinet, if you don't mind having a c-top microwave. OTRs have disadvantages and are being used less and less). I admire your honesty with us. I truly hope this is helpful, not overwhelming. Please don't let myself or anyone diminish your family's pride in and enjoyment of your beautiful new kitchen! All the best. Grace
February 3, 2013 at 9:49PM   
yaya702vegas
The ideal thing to do to make the kitchen great is to place a drop-in stove in your island with an over head hood if possible. Then use the space where the stove was for more cabinets or maybe wine storage you could even add wall ovens in that space. Then consider the fact that your kitchen has lots of wood, and although wood is great you need to make it the accent in your kitchen not the focus. you need a great tile on the walls or a great intense color that will make the wood look light, and so now the wood becomes an accent and not over whelm. Think of it in terms of make up if you only wear brown shadow it may look kind of plain.. but add dark eyeliner , now you have drama. then choose great up lights to show off the wood ceiling and under cabinet lights to show off counter tops....etc. hope your project goes well , enjoy your excellent kitchen. I have a drop in stove in the island, It may sound strange but it is fun and makes cleaning easy. When you cook you almost feel like your on a cooking show.
February 3, 2013 at 10:57PM     
Orca Wave
I am not a designer but you have been blessed with almost a clean slate to customize tweek your kitchen now to your tastes , no pun :) I am the primary owner , cook and cleaner hating more work in kitchen clean-up yukky range hoods or dusty oily collectors of especially kitchens ! BUT VENTING OUT IS A STRUCTURAL HOUSE and HUMIDITY odour MUST !
+ Rather be enjoying my time to prepare food together munchies or cook interacting, relaxing with friends or family in my home who have active scheduled lifestyle ! Especially allowing hubby to leisure down time watching the game or kids tech or homework time! Even a show for the cooks these days all your own lifestyle is a big factor while meal prep consumes most of us daily....You REALLY have to consider your LIFESTYLE use of your kitchen too whatever age: we still have to eat and cleanup !!!!
I agree an island stove cook top with built in draft exhaust, to code/ for that beautiful natural kitchen and either wall or slide oven range built in venting suggested by these designers .Extending the island out on a triangle lower or higher with stools: just compliments this open wood vaulted ? cathedral ceiling design of this kitchen .As in some pictures shown in posts.
Give hubby and you a break !.Hire an electricien or contractor to do these modest changes STARTING with a cook stove top (induction must be affordable somewhere?)and get using your kitchen with joy of cooking, BBQ meanwhile ! Relax while food cooks finding more inspiring pictures,waiting for sales of those ovens to replace while posting the resale of the existing stainless one .Walk into searched displayed views of customizing your current space without exstravengent spending more ! (I 'd be interested in knowing more of these types of stove tops too for my kitchen home purchase I made that could work better working with what exists. Ie Layout I have, adding a moveable or perm. island, perhaps new counters.Especially getting rid of these old stove/ranges to clean behind or sides.Opening in a wall, giving more work space.Eventually refacing or painting doors,adding cabinet wall pantry design I had in mind .With hidden built in kitchen pull-out toaster oven, plus microwave taking up counter space making cleaning work space clutter a nuisance.)
Without going major design costs , with easier less cluttered and surface detail cleanups ENJOYING YOUR HOME you built ! Oh my opinion: don't bother back splashing with tiny tile when stone products from Home Depot or elsewhere compliments that wood ! ENJOY your home, your castle now!
February 3, 2013 at 11:44PM   
Candy Giard
Your husband is a great guy and must love you a ton to build your dream home. Whatever ideas or suggestions you do or don't do, they are just suggestions. It's easy to make re-do suggestions when it isn't your money :) Your husband need not be discouraged. I think he's great to take on this task of building your home! I love the wood on the ceiling and it's wonderful that your kitchen is open and big. I love the window. I like the idea of doing the blue on the island and something else on the rest of the counters. That is going to look awesome. Don't be disheartened. As I mentioned before - things can always be done a different way. Some may work well and others not at all. Everyone works to their own beat in their own kitchen. Stick to your instincts and how you want your kitchen to work for you. It's going to be great no matter what.
February 4, 2013 at 5:31AM     
aniluap2
I think you are making wise choices based on the feedback and it amazes me at how the anonymity of the Internet gives some people the license to be outright rude. Your husband has every right to be offended , since I was offended by some of the feedback and it's not even my kitchen!
However, the comments are not controlled by the Houzz website( maybe they should be) and it doesn't change the fact that they post many interesting ideas for inspiration. So "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"
February 4, 2013 at 6:05AM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Oy. And that is Houzz. They aren't trained designers with certified knowledge and wisdom/training to tell you what you should hear. Houzz is blunt like a knife. And the designers do feel more free to speak here. Tell your husband that a designer would have been more gentle and constructive - would have heard a financial budget and worked with what you said was your boundaries or ability. So, may we all understand that a budget is to not be feared in speaking but shared with the designer...at worst case scenario they'll tell you what to cut out that is taking you over budget or do additional research that allows you to know what other options you have.

It's a process and getting knowledge...blunt, trained or not. I consider wise. Men don't like direction -as we are told all the time. They do like cheerleaders. I remember a sermon from a pastor who told this joke. Men are like God. They both warm up to being cheered. God answers to faith and praise and men were made in God's image. Women...were from man's rib. There was an original translation problem on that one. So women married to the man who likes praise. DO that! He'll chill over houzz. Just cheer him on.

***I felt shocked that you had a picture of the kitchen cabinets in place and people naturally assumed that you had funds to go change it. I would have thought everyone would have found the solution based on what was in the picture. I actually have not seen that in a thread of conversation before.
February 4, 2013 at 6:25AM   
Jayme H.
The thing is, the Houzz site is professional appearing, etc. so people think it's going to be a professional place to get advice. Unfortunately, that does not always occur. I feel bad for people who get broadsided unexpectedly with rude comments. It's just uncalled for, regardless if the people responding to a dilemma are a "professional" or not. If a "professional" in the fields of design, architecture, etc. are rude...it is even more unacceptable in my feeling.
February 4, 2013 at 6:33AM     
margo720
Kelly, here are some more mockups of your kitchen with the hood above the stove, light to dark countertops and roman window shades. Hope this helps you to visualize :)
February 4, 2013 at 6:42PM     
Jayme H.
Great job Margo 720!
February 4, 2013 at 6:45PM     
margo720
More variations...
February 4, 2013 at 6:46PM     
margo720
... and more:)
February 4, 2013 at 6:50PM     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Some people are so nice. What software is that Margo?
February 4, 2013 at 7:09PM     
Lynn Brokaw
Kelly, I feel for your husband. Some of the folks on here got pretty rude and opinionated, and Im sure he doesnt want to even think abt their suggestions. lol As I said, wayyyy back in this thread, Ive been where you are. And thanks to Margo's pictures, you can see a really great idea. Whatever you choose will be wonderful, because it is your dream. Hang in there, and please let us see a picture of your result. Good luck.
February 4, 2013 at 7:28PM     
margo720
Software I used is Photoshop
February 4, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Candy Giard
Awesome job Margo!!!!
February 5, 2013 at 4:53AM     
syd34
I still feel like you should remove the window and move the stove over to the left--change places with the cabinet next to the stove and put the stove where that cabinet is. Use a ductless range hood and add upper cabinets. You really have no storage for you dishes , etc. Scratch colored countertops for resale purposes. This might work with your builder. Check with them on this idea.
February 5, 2013 at 1:43PM     
Grace Reed
I think Houzz show add a "DISLIKE" option.
February 5, 2013 at 9:53PM     
Susan Soto
Those images look great!
February 5, 2013 at 11:26PM   
tlnt60
Exchange the stove for one that doesn't have the back panel, basically a flattop with controls in the front, then add a shelf that goes from halfway up the cabinet, one that leaves about 2 inches on either side of the window and cabinet. That should help.
February 6, 2013 at 12:13AM   
PRO
Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
You could consider the 14" Jupiter Wall range hood - http://www.futurofuturo.com/wall-range-hood-WL14JUPITER.php

It's made in Italy, has a 940 CFM blower, 4 speeds, ducted/ductless option, and a removable bottom segment that lets you attach a custom glass/metal panel.
February 7, 2013 at 9:02AM   
PRO
clayworks
Here's a sleek kitchen, character added with handmade backsplash tiles.
February 7, 2013 at 10:18AM   
cjohnston
Kelly, I love what Margo has done to bring your vision to life! It is such a warm and unique room. I love it! Now, to say something in response to the negative posts. The people with negative opinions can be wrong. They can be mistaken. They can have no idea what region you live in or whether you plan to stay in your house forever (so who cares about resale?) They can think that "being honest" means they must trash someone else's hard work and put down another person's vision. So don't give their opinion any more thought than they spent trying to understand your situation.
February 7, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Terri
Margo, awesome, wished you could do my living room
February 8, 2013 at 3:42PM   
lizaf
I am curious cj do people really ask questions on this forum just to be told their design ideas are fine? Sometimes they are just not. I don't think the contributors are deliberately mean and of course it is all subjective, but why ask if you are only going to listen to those who say you've done a great job. This is not a therapy group! Margo's ideas and several others were good. Isn't it illegal to have the hot plate so near the window?
February 8, 2013 at 4:01PM     
lisacabinetree
Rework the layout before you get that counter top on there!!! Can you shuffle things enough to get the stove angled in the corner? Then that wall cabinet right of the stove can move close to the window, rework the corner space with a decorative angled wood range hood . If you absolutely can't move the stove aim for that slide-in model so it won't be so obvious. As for venting, there are some pretty creative decorative vent units out there!
February 8, 2013 at 6:45PM   
PRO
Awesome pictorials Margo... how helpful of you! That is very constructive & practical solution series.

may I comment to everyone who has suggested a corner stove... it would mean at least a 4 foot x 4 foot chunk out of the corner, negating all the cabinets that are currently there & also affecting the adjacent ones already in place as a transition. It would also impact the dishwasher placement.

Planning and installing such a corner is very challenging for a pro, leave alone a D.I.Y project. Also, very difficult to find fan models that will make the transition around a corner. Actually much harder than it is to find a model that will suit the current installation.

Kelly didn't ask "how could I redo my kitchen" but only what practical solutions were available for her ventilation at her stove area as planned.

I'm so glad Margo took the time to show all the potential... love that shelf over the window as it helps pull the area together.

It will ultimately be quite enjoyable to gaze out such a wide window into the garden, while monitoring the stove.
February 8, 2013 at 10:12PM     
Susan Soto
Honesty is best. Hopefully people are able to filter what's viable for them.
House stuff is freaking intense!
February 8, 2013 at 11:21PM     
lisacabinetree
Just remember whatever choice you make -check your local by-laws! There are definite rules about placing ranges near functioning windows as well as placing flammable articles (wooden shelves) over them! Usually 30" of height clearance is required which can make that shelf really high...
February 9, 2013 at 8:41AM     
cjohnston
@lizaf, I think your comment was to me (if not, my apologies) and I agree with you. My point was about the suggestions that are in direct conflict with the limitations and constraints Kelly has stated for her project. It seems like a contributor would not want to waste their time making a suggestion that has zero chance of being utilized.
February 9, 2013 at 8:49AM     
bathroom405
Have you measured to see if a microwave above the stove is an option?
February 9, 2013 at 8:57AM   
jakelee8
Something smaller but to this look
February 9, 2013 at 8:58AM   
bathroom405
If you cannot put a microwave there, or already have one somewhere else in the room, picture pretty curtains around the window and a cool clock over the stove.
February 9, 2013 at 8:58AM   
PRO
Douglas Custom Homes
The main thing is, you just don't need two windows. I think the space can be turned into a wonderfully striking kitchen by simply closing off the window to the left of the range. Then center the range, add a decorative hood, either wood or stainless, and flank it with upper cabinets.
February 9, 2013 at 9:42AM     
ruthmand
If you have not read this entire thread you should not comment here. The same goes for any other threads. Thank you!
February 9, 2013 at 9:48AM     
ahhonka
have you thought about moving the range to the island? or possibly getting rid of the window where the range currently is. and moving it to the left so it is in the middle... that way you would also be able to have a hood above directly centered
February 9, 2013 at 1:43PM   
PRO
Mike Smith / Artistic Kitchens
Send me a dimensioned floorplan and I'll see if I can do anything with it..
I like a challenge..
February 12, 2013 at 5:44PM     
PRO
Designing Richmond
Hello Kelly!

Range in the corner would work great... look good too... You would be out a total of 4 cabinets and have to re-order four more.... it would be a nice focal point... You can even make an angle wall traversing the corner and have a chimney hood! really cool! done it many times! Framing out that corner is no big deal... just be sure you have the right angel ... For this option I would hire a kitchen designer to create this wall for you... It's tricky... you want the correct angle and the correct size cabinets to the left and right. it's easy to get wrong ... then nothing fits!

If that is too hard to do... the island idea is the easiest... Remember if you do the island you will need a down draft... as noted earlier they are not as efficient... but... you may not cook in a manner that it is necessary to have great ventilation. You can do a down draft with gas... Just installed a Jenn Air... If you want to really ventilate... Corner option is best! Vent straight out!

certainly wouldn't get rid of the window unless you didn't have an nice view... windows are great.

Good Luck!
February 12, 2013 at 6:25PM   
Grace Reed
Has anyone noticed that Kelly hasn't commented since telling us how upset her husband was by all this? As much as I care about kitchens, relationships and people come 1st. The best designed and coordinated kitchen is the one that makes the people in it happy to be there! Kitchens really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things are they? To the more recent posters, pls read the whole thread and/or Kelly's last comment before making your own, as Ruthmand pointed out. Thanks.
February 12, 2013 at 10:23PM     
hparks74
Jenn Air can be purchased at sears and often one of their out let store at a deeply discounted price. that brand has a down draft gas stove that is a drop in. I would start by switching stoves. Good luck.
February 12, 2013 at 10:37PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.