Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Rug or no rug?
jkman2252
January 31, 2013 in Polls
Not sure if I want a rug or not...any other ideas would be great! Please let me know what you think
Rug
No rug
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Do you have more views of the room ?
January 31, 2013 at 4:36pm     
alefantee
To me, rugs with carpet just look strange and desperate.
January 31, 2013 at 4:36pm     
jkman2252
Yes
January 31, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Judit
You need no rug but a new coffee table! Trust me.
January 31, 2013 at 4:59pm     
cam27525
Yes, a rug would look great! What about cowhide? Where did you get that wonderful cream pillow with Moroccan design? Love it!
January 31, 2013 at 5:05pm     
Darzy
I vote a rug too. Pick a color....

January 31, 2013 at 5:12pm     
Darzy
PS...I like your coffee table. Judit's coffee table suggestion is fun too. But I think yours works too.
January 31, 2013 at 5:14pm     
Judit
I'M not sure. You have modern furniture, sofa, armchair, lamps, even the wall art. This coffee table just don't seem to fit into. If you replace it with a plastic or glass table it would reply to your lamp base.
January 31, 2013 at 5:22pm     
amartell
I agree with the coffee table not fitting into the space, perhaps something more modern to match furniture. Also, warm colored accent pillows would break up the cream couch color and draw the eyes up. That would help incorporate the dark armchair color. I bet just that small change would make the difference and you would not need an area rug.
January 31, 2013 at 5:32pm     
inkwitch
That coffee table would work if it were painted a hot, high-gloss color -- and put it on an area rug.

RUgs have more purpuse than just "rug." It's adds a layer of decor fashion to a vignette. It can define an area. It connects, grounds, embellishes, defines. And they're just plain attractive. So the question is not "should I have a rug?" It's more, "What rug do I want?"

Obviously you want one or you would not have raiseed the question. You have our permission! Get a rug!
January 31, 2013 at 5:39pm     
jkman2252
Would I green pillow do? An the green blanket should be on the armchair as well
January 31, 2013 at 5:41pm   
jkman2252
Also, what do u think of the painting above the couch?
January 31, 2013 at 5:45pm   
amartell
I think the blue, gold pillow in the middle is a start. Just more bold colors like that would help :-)
January 31, 2013 at 6:23pm     
Judit
There IS a painting above the couch.
January 31, 2013 at 6:24pm   
missingdk
Your room is narrow and when you see the dark rectangle it feels closed in (my opinion only). What about the clear coffee table someone forwarded to you or at least a clear glass top. A can of vibrant glossy paint - perhaps tourquoise to lighten up the room or even have a piece of mirror cut to measure? Good Luck.
January 31, 2013 at 7:03pm     
eoakes
I would get a rug and paint your table a different color :)
January 31, 2013 at 7:05pm   
centaurita
I lovethe painting but I'm kind of a crazy about trees :)
I vote keep the table - get a colorful rug.
January 31, 2013 at 10:28pm     
Cassidy Wilton
I think a colorful rug would look great!
January 31, 2013 at 10:35pm     
Mike Slater
I think Judit is dead on with her thought on the coffee table, and Amartell's pillow advice is good as well. Maybe there is another place in the room to add some more orange or put one of the great rugs centaurita proposes.

The challenge here is that the walls, carpet, and couch are nearly the same white and it drains the life from the room. Maybe the walls need to be painted or the couch reupholstered or replaced.
January 31, 2013 at 10:55pm     
nacdesign
I agree that the walls, carpet and couch are dullsville. Paint the walls, and add a fabulous rug pulling colors from the art. Rugs add texture, interest, define the space and are grounding pulling everything together. The coffee table can work, not everything needs to match. Look at all the eclectic photos on this site! Layers take it from stale to stunning! Maybe swich out the lamp or lampshade to something more interesting.
February 1, 2013 at 6:49am   
Mike Slater
Part of the reason I vote "no" on the rug is that a rug over carpet (perhaps except sisal carpet) rarely lays flat. It also adds bulk that creates a trip hazard. Flooring transitions are a leading cause of home falls and not just with the elderly.

I assume this is an apartment and changing the carpet isn't an option?
February 1, 2013 at 11:19am   
Darzy
I like your art above the sofa. The color that pops out from the art is a persimmon/orangy color. So, I agree with centarita and get a colorful orangey rug. Then, a solid orange toss pillow for the sofa and a persimmon color throw. (bring the orange down from the wall art). Adding teal in accents would be a nice addition too. Vase, candlesticks, or a teal lumbar pillow for the chair.

Others mention a new table, but I like yours as the mix woods look "warmer" and the carved detail table has character and the "morrocan" looks ties in with your pattern on the pilows. And, goes with the "bulk" of the tv console. My two cents. :)
February 1, 2013 at 12:18pm     
Darzy
Teal/orange accents:

February 1, 2013 at 12:20pm     
PRO
Butterfly Yao
Other things in your room are all plain, it need some fresh colors to active your room. Without changing any furniture... How about this...
Just put a EXCITING colorful rug, and buy some same/similar EXCITING color cushions to match the rug.
February 1, 2013 at 1:50pm   
Mike Slater
I think we have a Martha Stewart cookbook with a teal cover and orange accents. It's a mid century classic. Great chairs, BTW.
February 1, 2013 at 1:52pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I have an area rug over carpet in my family room - you just need to ensure it is large enough and heavy enough to avoid the trip factor.
Plus, adding that gorgeous cayenne-orange colour down onto the floor will push your space to the next level of WOW - go for it!
I've attached a photo of a room where I layered area rugs for that texture on texture look...gorgeous
February 2, 2013 at 8:23pm     
Darzy
Love that room Marie Hebson! Yummy
February 2, 2013 at 8:30pm     
dragon721
Change the coffee table
February 3, 2013 at 8:20am   
maisner
I have eclectic tastes so I love the coffee table. To me, the ornate carving on it coordinates with the Moroccan pillow. I love the suggestion of rugs above, I would go with the teal to draw everything together and maybe put a bowl with balls in all the colors on the table. I like what you have alot! I think the rug (or a rug) would make it look "finished".
February 3, 2013 at 8:38am     
towanda53
Yes, change the coffee table. Clear glass top. Then change out those boring white candles with some colorful books, candles, and flowers that relate to the colorful pillows you'll be surely adding. You won't need a rug!
February 3, 2013 at 8:59am     
roxf
Keep the table, but paint it. And definitely add a rug with colors from the art.
February 3, 2013 at 9:04am   
maisner
One additional comment: teal and orange make me think Howard Johnson's. Just sayin.....
February 3, 2013 at 9:05am   
isamari
While it might tie the seating area together and add color, area rug on top of carpet can be messy because they tend to crawl.
February 3, 2013 at 9:30am   
momof5x
Brighten up the sofa with different coloured cushions like the orange and cream ones, add some accessories to the table .

SW 45th

Stacey Costello Design

Farmhouse, Shelter Island
February 3, 2013 at 9:32am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Rug..yes! How do you watch the TV? Is there another sofa opposite the TV?
February 3, 2013 at 9:39am     
centaurita
The more I think about this room, the more I get the feeling it has the start of a Bohemian (Boho chic) or Moroccan (as Darzy pointed out) sort of feel, and that's the way I would move forward with it. If it were me, of course :)
If you still haven't decided about the rug - consider putting a large colorful basket under the table (for storing blankets, books, etc.). Or maybe a couple smaller ones in different colors. Or, if there is room think about getting a pouf ottoman (or two). They come in all sorts of sizes, colors, materials, and shapes.
It looks like you are attracted to green also: green and orange are both secondary colors (along with purple) and will always look nice together.
Try adding just a little color here and there around the room. Some colored glass in the tray around the candles, a valance over the glass doors, vases, urns, sculptures, fresh flowers, even a stack of books?!
You could also put a pretty rug at the door instead of under the table.
February 3, 2013 at 10:31am   
Bonnie
Darzy-- Love those chairs!
February 3, 2013 at 10:41am   
Beverley Cole
A rug would anchor the coffee table to the room, middle eastern rugs look fab in any room
February 3, 2013 at 10:25pm   
dlapollo
get rid of rug
and paint floor Benjamin Moore Iron Mountain
its hot!
and inexpensive
yes, paint the floor...
February 4, 2013 at 3:08am   
designgirl178
I think your seating area is not big enough for a rug without making the area look too busy. I would like to see pillows with colors! Try to match some of the colors to the painting over the couch but some blues and greens would work really well. I think painting the coffee table a blue or green to match your new printed pillows would add some punch too. If you don't want to do that or am not sure what color or if thats too much committment for you, you could find a small woven rug or a table runner in that color to throw over the table for the same look. Good luck.
February 4, 2013 at 3:18am     
graceunjee
I think a rug would make the place seem too crowded..
February 4, 2013 at 3:50am     
ckratz
I think that you need some unity and several suggestions have been made. Funny how you ask about a rug and suddenly everyone seems to be questioning your coffee table. I LOVE the idea of a rug because it does add unity... but the rug on rug is just a big trip (possible fracture) waiting for my visit...LOL think about the picture without the rug and the cohesion of the two turquoise chairs... tie the couch and the chair together with similar pillows or throw cushions, if you don't like too much colour then resort to textures..... I love the basket idea with a few colourful throws tucked away.....
February 4, 2013 at 11:39am     
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
I say yes to a rug! I don't like rugs on rugs so if you can not add wood flooring then I would still add an area rug. It will give the space definition. I like your coffee table with the white sofa! I also like your selection of throw pillows. I would suggest, if you can, remove the computer items and possibly the black recliner. Maybe add two small chairs. Good luck!
February 4, 2013 at 11:46am   
mpoulsom
def put a rug with some color, the coffee table is fine, and then add some curtain panels to each side of the sliding glass doors or windows to the right in your first pic. It will feel nice and homey and beautiful!
February 4, 2013 at 11:52am   
Judit
hi again, do you feel confused enough now? :)
February 5, 2013 at 10:48pm     
PRO
Butterfly Yao
yes, confuse enough, O(∩_∩)O, I have to say these different recommends also means: there is no correct answer for this question. Follow your feeling, both answers you got lots of good suggestions here. No worry.
February 6, 2013 at 12:32pm     
mbsc0511
How about no rug and using a table with a glass top to open up the space?
February 6, 2013 at 8:14pm   
marthafish
I like a rug. Just be sure and have a rug pad under it. I had patterned rug with some red in it. After many years the red bled onto the carpet. When we moved I had to replace the carpet. I spent $1000 because I was too cheap to spend $40 on a rug pad.
February 13, 2013 at 1:30pm   
PRO
RugKnots
We have a FREE ask a designer service on our website. All you have to do is send us original photos of your space and our expert designers will hand select rug options that match your decor. You'll receive photos of your room with rugs embedded in your image.

http://rugknots.com/index.php?fc=module&module=rugknotsroom
May 9, 2014 at 2:35pm   
PRO
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
No rug.

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
May 9, 2014 at 2:38pm   
Joanna Zygo
I think that this room needs something else: color coordinated pillows & throws (it needs color) and decluttering of the area next to the couch. I don't like idea of a rug on top of a carpet. On a hardwood or laminate floor - yes. But the carpet seems just fine, it is in neutral color and provides a good base. Play around with different accessories - candles, curtains?, pillows, vase with fresh flowers. This room needs some color (coordinated).
May 9, 2014 at 3:01pm   
Joanna Zygo
Also, aside of that computer desk decluttering (better: changing for a new one), I would change that black chair (recliner?) for a pair of 2 small fauteuils. Do not paint this beautiful coffee table.
May 9, 2014 at 3:14pm   
PRO
RugPal
Love the coffee table suggestion, but don't discount rugs on wall to wall carpet. We actually just wrote a post about it, because we know there are situations when you can't change the wall to wall carpet decor (apartments, rentals, corp housing, office, etc). Here are some pointers should you decide to go that route. http://blog.rugpal.com/2014/07/enhancing-wall-to-wall-carpet.html
July 16, 2014 at 10:27am   
lisaclough
I wouldn't say that you need a rug in this area. At first glance, I think replacing the coffee table with something bigger with possibly a glass or mirrored top and rustic frame then adding colourful accords or a big bright bowl, a bright lamp shade instead of white, another piece of colourful art and maybe another bright pillow.
July 16, 2014 at 10:06pm   
PRO
Colour Confidence Interiors
Hi Jkman,

A rug, always a rug. This will bring the pieces together to create a conversation with each other and therefore with the people sitting in the room. It will also add some needed personality, pattern and texture.
July 16, 2014 at 10:09pm   
PRO
Peykar Rugs & Carpet
Hi! If you add a rug with a bold pattern or interesting texture, such as a cowhide or flat weave, it can add an extra dimension to your room. Please contact us if you need help selecting a rug. We have many options available. www.peykarrugs.com.
July 22, 2014 at 1:18pm   
PRO
Fratantoni Lifestyles
I think a rug will add character to the room!

-Fratantoni Lifestyles
July 22, 2014 at 2:29pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.