Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room
gayathrikven
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into our new house and I have trouble selecting drapes for my living room. My laminate colour is brownish and I have dark color cabinets, My couch is a dark brown one, I just feel I have too much of browns around me. What will make the living room brighter, Is it adding more lights? mirrors? Drapes? if so what color drapes.
Please help
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
gayathrikven
More pictures
January 31, 2013 at 4:51pm     
kathynance
Teal blue drapes or paint walls the color of green that is in the rug with pale turquoise blue drapes or orange-red drapes. Big art with color behind the sofa.
January 31, 2013 at 4:57pm     
kathynance
Before planting flowers and shrubs on patio paint wood fence dark, dark, dark green so it will disappear !
January 31, 2013 at 5:00pm   
Judit
Your room is bright enough and there's not too much brown in it. Just the walls are still empty and the curtains are missing.
January 31, 2013 at 5:06pm   
Judit
Pick two colours from your rug: say lime and cherry and combine them when you choose your curtain and wall art.
January 31, 2013 at 5:12pm   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Painting the walls the burnt orange color that is in your rug would look really pretty with the sofa and loveseat. It would also bring in the red from the pendant lighting that is in the kitchen. However, that area rug is waaaay too little for this space. So if you are going to reselect a rug I would do that before painting as you would want it all to work together. I like the idea of having a fun area rug with burnt orange, reds, browns, and/or taupe in your space. If you did the walls brighter, I would keep the drapery light. I think some drapes would really do some justice here! Or… keep the walls more neutral (perhaps a warm slate grey) and then add fun drapes like the other picture I attached!
January 31, 2013 at 5:16pm     
gayathrikven
Im even ready to change my rug, But I cant afford to change my Couch
Should I go plain on drapes or printed? I shopped in stores like bed bath beyond and JC penney but am not so happy about the collection they have.
January 31, 2013 at 5:17pm   
gayathrikven
Also the Room looks bright in the day time, but in the night the single light on top of the fireplace is just not enough for the living room..
I just love all your ideas, feeling better and inspired now :)
January 31, 2013 at 5:19pm     
Darzy
Go bold! Yes, the rug is too small. How about just lose the rug and accessorize with color/pattern? If orange to "too much" for you. Do the teal drapery and 10% orange in the accents.
Bela Drapery Panel, Terra Cotta
Iman Turquoise and Orange Ikat Decorative Pillow Cover By PopOColor
Orange Abby Double Gourd Lamp
January 31, 2013 at 5:21pm     
suzie123
i recommend accessorizing. Pillows on the couches, drapes, art work and some personal items on the table. Make sure all the accessories work together, not matching just coordinate the feeling. i would consider a bigger area rug also.If you want to warm t up maybe a built in wall where tv is which you could personalize.
January 31, 2013 at 5:21pm   
gayathrikven
Love earthy colors and also the idea of a picture frame wall About the recliner
January 31, 2013 at 5:23pm   
gayathrikven
above*
So where Can I shop draperies other than JC penney and bedbath stores. I dont have much choice in these stores
January 31, 2013 at 5:25pm   
mcbride2304
How about West Elm, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel?
January 31, 2013 at 5:29pm   
gayathrikven
Thanks for the ideas, Will try and check, ALso If I need to paint my wall, Should I select sherwin williams? Thats the only company i know so far and ya olumpic paints.
January 31, 2013 at 5:32pm   
Judit
Yes rug is too small sadly. It should connect the seatings and the table. No need to change the sofa, why should you? I love Darzy's colour suggestions!
January 31, 2013 at 5:32pm     
gayathrikven
I know the rUg is just too small, It was something I had in my apartment. Will have to get rid of it soon
January 31, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Darzy
How about a tripod lamp by the sofa? Or, even two floor lamps flanking the television.

January 31, 2013 at 5:38pm   
PRO
olliewooten
i think youb should add a pop of color and do ..... maybe and settle uhhh maybe your favorite color for a persnal touch
January 31, 2013 at 5:41pm   
ligmen
When I saw your living room I immediately thought of Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It is an elegant and "calming grey" that will look well with the brown you have. I would definitely add orange and or turquoise to the room to complement the rich brown colors you have. Also keep in mind that lighting is imporatnat too. For example I would either add a swag lamp or floor lamp but not in a color. I would to acrylic or chrome. Just a touch of "glam".. Good luck! Maybe "grey / silvery" curtains with some hint or pattern of turquoise or orange
January 31, 2013 at 5:42pm   
PRO
Project Guru
Your budget will dictate what you choose for window coverings more than anything. On a low budget, a light neutral canvas panel can be trimmed with a colorful wide ribbon or painted stencil pattern in your contrast color(s). What colors appeal to you, in clothing, accessories, etc. Paint the fireplace and back wall a deep version of your chosen color. I can see a medium gray/brown. Colorful art in wide mats and metallic frames in pairs on wither side of the tv and over the fireplace should add presence. If your budget allows and you will be there for a while, consider Silhouette shadings for that slider and window: they are gorgeous, extremely versatile and will work with a modern and traditional style.
January 31, 2013 at 5:44pm   
Natalie
Hi---the walls and carpet color are so close in shade (not color) that they seem to fade into one another. Since it's easier to paint than change carpet I recommend a color slightly darker and muted for the walls. Pick one from your rug-I think a putty hue would really add that special touch. Pic for inspiration. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
January 31, 2013 at 5:45pm     
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
I would add a large piece of artwork. I finished this acrylic late last year. Would really look great in that room. www.JUL313.com
January 31, 2013 at 5:46pm     
ligmen
Orbit Trio lamp is nice!
January 31, 2013 at 5:47pm   
groveraxle
Oh my, your fireplace is lonely. In this case I would put the television over the fireplace if it's not too large. Then I would turn the furniture 45 degrees so the sofa faces it and the loveseat is perpendicular to it. Then a large area rug to break up the expanse of the carpet. Large enough to get the front legs of the furniture on it. Move the coffee table closer to the couch.

I would choose rug and/or artwork first before drapes and accessories. You could use some serious art on those bare walls.
J239 Hand Knotted - J2 lightingzilla.com
Judy Ross Textiles - Shells 6x9 Hand Knotted Rug Pewter
Birch, Hand-Tufted Wool Rug
Warp & Weft - Scoops Mahogany Wool Rug
January 31, 2013 at 5:59pm   
kathynance
A rug can be found at Marshalls if you hit them when a truck comes in. Curtains: Affordable at Ikea and Tues. Morn. Even local Fabric stores who have great sales.
January 31, 2013 at 6:02pm     
January 31, 2013 at 6:11pm   
groveraxle
Do you sew? (That seems to be a skill in decline these days.) If not, do you iron? Find some fabric you love and make your own curtain panels. You can hem the ends either by sewing or with stitch witchery (an iron-on product), then hang them with rings and clips like so:

January 31, 2013 at 6:20pm     
Judit
Now I know what I found disturbing when I looked at your room. Carpeting and walls are Very pale so the dark brown sofa seems to be flowing in the air! It can give you an uncomfortable, insecure feeling.
January 31, 2013 at 6:20pm     
gayathrikven
like the no sew idea, Planning to visit a local fabric store , I like the Tv to be on the fire place, But more than that having the Tv in the middle of that wall is so comfortable for me to watch it from the kitchen and dining. My house has an open concept living room and I fell in love with this house for the same reason. But I take you suggestion seriously to make the fireplace stand out by putting some wall shelves or a mantel
January 31, 2013 at 6:32pm   
groveraxle
Get thee to Ikea. They have a lamp similar to the Noguchi floor lamp below. I think it's $20.

Easy artwork: scrounge through the remnant bin at the fabric store for bits that you like that complement your room. Then go to Home Depot for a piece of MDF. Get it from the scrap bin. It'll be 51 cents. Have them cut it for you into 8x8 squares. Use spray adhesive to glue the fabric to the boards. Stick hangers on the backs and arrange them in a grid on the wall.
Noguchi UF4-J1 Floor Lamp By Akari Lamps
MINI art by modernarteveryday on Etsy
Riverside Basement Renovation
January 31, 2013 at 6:34pm     
groveraxle
I love the clean lines of your fireplace. I wouldn't add a mantel or shelves. If you don't put the TV there, I would put a piece of art. Perhaps do a large piece of art on the wall and a grid of small pieces (as described above) on the fireplace. If you keep the TV where it is, I still think you should turn your furniture to face the fireplace. You'll still be able to view the TV from the loveseat.
January 31, 2013 at 6:39pm   
gayathrikven
Got it, so that means a big peice of art above the recliner and a grid art on te fire place? is that right
January 31, 2013 at 6:42pm   
groveraxle
That's what I would do.
January 31, 2013 at 7:04pm   
inkwitch
Okay, a few thoughts came to mind. Please do not take offense; I am not being critical. However, I am puzzled.

I find the placement of your coffee table puzzling. What purpose do you want a coffee table to have? I prop my feet on mine, but I like to set a cup of coffee or a wine glass on it and display useful things like a stack of books, a bowl with something interesting it it. It has to be within comfortable arm's length of where I"m sitting.

Why is the only light in your living room the one over the fireplace? A floor lamp would be useful. And an end table (not matching the coffee table of course.) However, your furniture is so big, there's not much room. I LOVE the space and can see huge potential, but HUGE brown furniture is dominating. Arches to die for and scumptious pendant lights in the kitchen. However: never trust a furniture salesman; he knows nothing about decorating!

Don't you like your fireplace? It's sort of stuffed in the corner like a red-headed orphan child. Do you never intend to have a fire in it? If you do, you're likely to melt something.

THat being said, what colors absolutely make you warm and fuzzy? You're stuck with brown. You can go 2 directions: serene or vibrant. Brown and red (pick your tones there) or orange are energetic. Brown and blue, turquoise or aqua are serene and peaceful. Walls painted deeper than cream but lighter than gold/tan would pull those colors together into the other areas. Actually, I'd paint the whole area the same color or it's going to look chopped up.

Rug: rule of thumb: front the front feet of all seating should be on the rug. Therefore, yours is way too small. MOve it to another location -- kitchen? foyer? Before you replace it, decide on your color scheme, and you can use the rug's colors for the rest.

Basically, you have a clean slate -- although I would prefer smaller and different furniture. Scale matters. And those transoms! To die for! Take your time. Wait for it. If you love it, it will work. TRust yourself.
January 31, 2013 at 7:19pm   
Damien Lane
I would have white heavy drapes and a big oval wall mirror above the fireplace. Looks great!!!
February 1, 2013 at 2:24am   
Freda Valentine
How about yellow for curtains and cushions. Yellow looks fantastic with brown and although recently out of fashion, appears to be making a comeback. Patterned curtains with plain yellow cushions. A large painting with yellow,orange and green..
February 1, 2013 at 3:22am   
kingslane
Burnt Sienna is a great color and it's in your rug. Love the idea of painting the wood outside green before planting anything. I would tile that patio floor, too. Brings the inside out and the outside in...
February 1, 2013 at 4:27am   
gayathrikven
@Inkwitch, totally agree about the coffee table, and the huge furniture. I cant afford changing my furniture But I can get rid of my coffee table. It was something I bought at ikea and Im not a fan of it either :P I appreciate your comments :) Also Fireplace is really isolated , I will try to face the furniture towards the fireplace
February 1, 2013 at 10:12am   
More Discussions
Make something out of nothing
We're purchasing a gone from a builder that won't allow...
Need help picking brick, trim and roof for new exterior home
We will be using casement windows, limestone trim for...
interior wall alternatives
I would like to see ideabooks that address alternatives...
need help choseing a color for new garage door and trim around house
We just bought our first house and the existing garage...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.