powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I am considering gold in our family room ... and beyond.
kalonakoma
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am considering painting the family room a gold, a shade lighter than what you see on the fireplace. This colour would also go down the hall and a very tiny amount into our kitchen. The kitchen opens into the dining and living rooms so I have to consider them also. The furniture in the dining room is black with glass table top ... so I think the gold would go nicely in there. I'm not sure where I should stop with the gold ... or if I should just do the whole area. I like my rooms dark, but not to the point where they would look depressing. The view is north facing. The living room is the room that gets the bright light from the East in the mornings. The family room gets zero sun.

I appreciate that you've taken the time to share your thoughts.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Denice Shuty
I would call the fireplace a tawny yellow, to go lighter you would actually be in the butter family, not gold. I would go darker, in a khaki, warm gray to balance the visual heaviness of your flooring and furniture. Or get rid of the yellow fireplace surround, cover it in a veneer stone, and do a pale blue-gray on the walls. Right now your room is bottom-weighted - the walls and ceiling look detached.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 6:00PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I wish you'd consider a more khaki color instead of gold. Take a look at Sherwin-Williams 6149 Relaxed Khaki. I'd like to see somewhat of a contrast between the fireplace surround and the wall color. If #6149 is too dark, try a shade lighter, but I think that Relaxed Khaki can add interest to your very nice room. It would be easy to change to a shade lighter in the hallway.
3 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    January 31, 2013 at 6:01PM
kalonakoma
This is my area rug.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:06PM
kalonakoma
... and the other side of the room. That cord chair is a green. The other photos make it look kind of grey.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:09PM
PRO
It's a beautiful rug. Try the colors I mentioned above.
1 Like   Thanked by kalonakoma    January 31, 2013 at 6:10PM
kalonakoma
I just checked the colour out. Wow! Pretty. It's sort of taupe isn't it. I hadn't even considered that colour. Hmm. See the back of the picture above the couch? What do you think of that colour?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:19PM
PRO
It's certainly a possibility but it will fade away against the fireplace surround, which is okay. I think the other color might be more interesting. But you are there and I am not!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:21PM
judianna20
Look at BM Gull Wing Grey.

0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:23PM
kalonakoma
Re:SW 6149 ... Hours later I am sitting here looking at that paint chip again and now it doesn't look taupe at all. It has a lovely greenish hint to it. It looks rather like my green cord chair in this light.

What about doing something amazing with the weird fireplace we inherited when we bought. Is there something we could do ourselves or would it be a major undertaking?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:59PM
fairyk
you can go for light gold or butter color it will looks more good asyou have mentioned about bright light from the East in the mornings.it will also gives you warm ans shinny feelings but you should also change your interiors because its looks so scattered.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:38AM
PRO
I can't tell what your fireplace is made of....stucco, tile, what? You could create a stainless steel mantel the width of the fireplace, approximately 6" high x the depth of the fireplace surround.

Or you could tile from the mantel to the ceiling with large tiles, or even with mosaic tiles. You could also use a combination of these ideas.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID While at CHil Design Group 1 Modern Glam While at CHil Design Group 2
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:30AM
kalonakoma
If i paint the khaki colour on the walls,, what colour would i paint my cement fireplace?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:20PM
PRO
JWinteriors
Paint fireplace surround dapper tan or hopsack from sherwin williams. It is darker than the khaki color but it keeps things warm. Kind of picks up the color of the matting on the picture.
3 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    February 4, 2013 at 10:48PM
njmomma
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 3:26AM
kalonakoma
Okay. I'm back. I think I need to load some new photos. The ones I've uploaded look soooo cluttered ... And that's not he way our room usually looks.

See you later ...I have to serve dinner to my husband NOW!
0 Likes   June 19, 2013 at 6:55PM
PRO
I like JW's idea of SW Dapper Tan or Hopsack for the fireplace, to go with the khaki walls.
2 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    June 19, 2013 at 7:04PM
kalonakoma
I went to Sherwin Williams today and got a bigger piece of the Relaxed Khaki. Carolyn I think it is absolutely perfect! It is the same colour as that cord chair by the windows. I am going to try it out in my guest bathroom, just to get a feel for it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. Thanks so much for your time. You sure have a good eye for colour. I think it will look prettier than the Arizona desert gold tones I thought I wanted AND it goes perfectly with the greens in my living room so I will be able to use it everywhere, except the ensuite and our bedroom. My husband is just giving me those deer caught in the headlights look. He is sooooo NOT a handyman! I guess I'm going to have to learn how to paint.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 12:27AM
PRO
That's great, kalonakoma! I'm happy it's working for you. Painting is fun because it really creates instant gratification, so have at it. Hub no doubt has many outstanding qualities, but if handyman activities aren't his thing, let him off the hook. Maybe he'll clean the brush and roller for you when you're done, OR take you out for dinner. If you're really lucky, he'll do both!
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 6:07AM
kalonakoma
laughing! He's a peach I assure you. I think he's horrified that I want to spend money on something other than travel and golf! I'll post a picture after I do the little bathroom. I find I'm staring longingly at all the fantastic photos on this amazing site ... and I'm feeling more like a have-not by the minute. Who lives in all these utterly fantastic homes?!!! I've posted some photos on my ideabooks of my bedroom and ensuite. Not sure how I can get you to look at them. Will I have to move them to this discussion panel?

I'm still a tad undecided about the best choice for the fireplace I have no choice but to paint. I'm wondering what you think about using the Universal Khaki or the Quiver Tan rather than the Dapper Tan. I felt the Hopsack was a bit off.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 5:06PM
0 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    June 22, 2013 at 5:14PM
kalonakoma
very pretty
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 5:15PM
Nancy Walton
I think you need a window treatment to soften the framing of the windows and to eliminate the black holes at night. Something very simple and sophisticated like dupioni silk ot silk-look. In a color to match the wall paint.
2 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    June 22, 2013 at 5:19PM
PRO
@kal, I took a look at your master bedroom and ensuite. They both need help, rather desperately, as you know or you would not have asked me to look at them.

I think it's time you hire a local interior designer to help you achieve the look you see in those photos you love. If you're going to spend money on the space, it would be a shame to spend it on the wrong things. I've always thought that a good interior designer will save you money, not only by directing you to buy the right things, but also by helping you avoid costly mistakes.
Carolyn
1 Like   Thanked by kalonakoma    June 22, 2013 at 6:04PM
Nancy Walton
That stripe would also be very sophisticated, but cover the window and the wall on the left, have a left-hand one way draw and the drapes will clear the windows in the daytime.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 6:24PM
PRO
LM Designers
Your home is furnished beautifully. It looks like a model home. After you get the new paint on the walls it will complete the picture. Can't wait to see it.
0 Likes   Thanked by kalonakoma    June 22, 2013 at 6:32PM
schurer
I have this color in my whole downstairs and stairway and hall upstairs. It is actually valspar "desert wind" It is very easy to live with, light and sunny but really neutral and warm. We love it. i would do it again. BTW, the floors are dark wood.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 6:51PM
kalonakoma
Sorry, are you referring to Relaxed Khaki????
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
Marble countertop in kitchen?
Building a new home through homebuilders. I had chosen...
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...
White painted cabinets
We are getting ready to put new white painted cabinets...
need help for my exterior color on a frame style house.
A frame style home with large window with a canyan...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.