Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen remdoel
eoakes
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ideas for this kitchen. I want to make the cabinetry white, get new hardware, and lighting. The problem is the awkward nook on the left by the entrance -- it looks like it used to be a closet that they took out. And now the flooring doesn't match there. I'd like to make that a part of the kitchen. Any other ideas for improvement?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
If you don't need the space for cloth closet, then perhaps a wall display unit might be an option, as the entry has different flooring then the kitchen to begin with.

0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:09PM
Elise
How about adding a pantry and desk area, with a small bench/mudroom near the entry. Eventually you could repair/replace the flooring to match the kitchen and have it refinished.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:16PM
eoakes
Thanks, Yeah I definitely don't want a closet. Maybe a pantry but I would rather the kitchen look bigger. I feel like a display might look strange there? right by the entryway.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:17PM
flgrandma
Could you add additional phots of the entry and nook?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:31PM
PRO
Dytecture
Pantry wall with display would be another option. It might not worth the trouble to try to match existing cabinets.

1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:57PM
eoakes
I like those! great idea.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:36PM
eoakes
any other suggestions. Do you think the dishwasher beside the oven is a bad idea? We are thinking about moving that too.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:16PM
hardyjim3
Pictures can be deceiving but it looks like a large kitchen screaming for an island with a vegetable cleaning sink, complete pot rack from ceiling, cabinets to te ceiling with crown moulding
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:31PM
hardyjim3
Put te dishwasher in the island opposite the full sink. The vege sink should be on other end of island by stove which should be moved away from clean up area
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:33PM
aniluap2
Can you remove the left over wood frame from the former closet as well as the soffit so it no longer looks like a nook and just opens the space in your kitchen you could put in some cubbies, a bench and coat hooks there since it looks like it is next to the back door . Or even better you could remove the wood frame move the refrigerator to that walk with a pantry or desk next to it, rearrange the cabinets next to the sink so you can move your dishwasher next to it. Yes,it is wierd to have the dishwasher next to the range it should be next to your sink so you can rinse and load.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:59PM
eoakes
I think so..that's a good idea. Here's the floorplan -- we wer thinking about extending the kitchen in to the dining room area since its small in proportion to the rest of the house.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:01PM
Elise
Taking down a wall, patching the floor and turning your peninsula cabinets into an island is a great way to open the space. I also like the idea of moving the refrig to the closet wall side and extending your countertop and dish storage cabinets overhead. You could add open dish storage or glass door cabinets in the old refrig location. I definitely recommend surrounding the refrig with deep cabinetry overhead. A great place to store trays, large cookie sheets and platters.

Moving the dishwasher would free up storage space for pot and pan storage by the stove and give you more room when using the sink. Consider another drawer base in the old DW location. One shallow drawer and two deep drawers.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 8:52AM
Rashmi Shrinath
Maybe you can add a bench with some glass cabinets above as most of your kitchen is wood.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:09AM
Kj Gemmill
Trust me, you won't like the dishwasher where it is right now. Every time you are at the stove or the sink and someone else tries to get into the DW you will be in each other's way. I had a setup similar to that and it was the first consideration when we remodeled. I like the idea of putting it in your future island but make sure you place the island so you have plenty of room around the oven/stove, dishwasher and sink.

I think it goes against the traditional rules about the number of steps to different workstations in a kitchen but I prefer SPACE! I'd rather walk a few extra steps every day than have my shins banged or my ribs elbowed ;) I have to walk around my island to get to my fridge from my stove but I don't mind. You won't even have that problem. Your space will be lovely and usable.

And I love the idea of the cabinets/displays on that other wall. Open up as much of the space as you can. I told you I love SPACE ;) Good luck!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 9:13AM
eoakes
Has anyone had a good experience with a kitchen designer? We have contemplated having someone help us make a better layout (perhaps expanding into the dining room area before making any changes.
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:40PM
eoakes
another pic of the nook
0 Likes   February 9, 2013 at 1:43PM
aniluap2
I had a kitchen contractor help with my last kitchen and they were helpful in some ways like understanding electrical, plumbing, structural, support needs and to some extent layout such as measuring out the cabinets. It all depends who you pick, some people are really happy and others like me were disappointed with their contribution. I basically had an idea if what I wanted and my design details and felt that I still had to manage the project more closely than I wanted to. I paid 6 figures for my kitchen with a premium for their expertise so when I was catching errors it did not make me happy. I would suggest you go by word of mouth,with several positive recommendations, have them consult with you on their vision for the kitchen then proceed if you are comfortable.
1 Like   February 9, 2013 at 2:08PM
Elise
Yes, had a great experience with a kitchen designer. Ask friends for references and don't forget about the big box store services as well.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:42PM
PRO
Rustica Hardware
A portable butcher block would work well in that space. See: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-blocks/
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 9:30AM
eoakes
Hmm interesting.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
need help with kitchen floor tile and backsplash! Please Help!
I am remodeling my kitchen and I have the cabinets...
emptynesterof2
Help covering AC coolant lines (bedroom wall)
Installation of the AC in my bedroom left the coolant...
Mirela Obric
kitchen backsplash help
We have white marble countertops with gray streaks....
Karin Kunstadt-Canipe
Something's missing
I was recently renovating my house and I have a 1.5...
nickyzhu2011
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.