Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Big mirror or two mirrors
zohrehalaghemand
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just finishing my master and don't know what to do with the wall above vanity. Should I use full mirror or two mirrors? What type of lights do you recommend. Help me please.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
January 31, 2013 at 9:33pm     
Mike Slater
My vote is two mirrors.
January 31, 2013 at 9:39pm     
Summer Scott
symmetry. go for two- just make sure they are big enough to balance the space.
January 31, 2013 at 9:46pm     
vera240479
It's hard to make such decision as I had the delimma as well. But I think the judgement could be based on whether you prefer more generous or lively. To be simple and generous, one mirror is enough.
Down lamps would be good choice and make the space look bigger. Tow mirror could present better taste with elegant wall lamp and more lively. I attached one pic for you.
January 31, 2013 at 9:48pm     
panjatty
Two mirrors for sure. Will you be glassing in the shower? If so, then maybe a sconce on either side of each mirror since you won't be getting much direct light from your chandelier. If not, you'll want to keep your lights away from where they may be splashed. Also, are medicine cabinets an option? Or some sort of wall storage? I'm thinking about storage for the items you use every day that you won't want to bend down under the sink for, wouldn't want to leave out on the counters, and don't fit into the drawers. I'm thinking of men's shaving/grooming items, toothbrushes, women's creams, etc. You know, the necessities that aren't always pretty! I've seen narrow, shallow cabinets that are made to sit on top of your counter between the two vanity areas and extend up to where a light bar would typically go. Something like this photo, but yours would have one in the center rather than two on the outside.
January 31, 2013 at 10:19pm     
PRO
Dytecture
I am going against the norm and suggest mirroring the entire wall since there is a natural division line from the shower tiles to the edge of the ceiling.

February 1, 2013 at 5:36am     
pruner
Two large mirrors framed in a style to coordinate with the cabinetry to aided by well- considered lighting fixtures soften the space. There is a need for a single mirror with a small amount of natural light ...
February 2, 2013 at 1:40pm     
stitzcrew
two for sure that way you have space between to add lighting or backsplash.
February 2, 2013 at 2:04pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Two mirrors and sconces. Sconce lighting puts the light on the side of you face and make shaving a man's face easier, makes putting on a woman's make up easier. Tailor the height of the bulb to the average face (there are a few previous discussion on houzz about this, search discussions).
February 2, 2013 at 3:46pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I vote 3 with sconces.
February 2, 2013 at 3:55pm     
aniluap2
Definitely 2 framed mirrors! Bathroom is beautiful. You've gone to so much trouble to make the cabinets look like furniture they need to be treated as such, which would require individual mirrors.
February 2, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Jay Van Daley
I'm jumping on the 2 mirror bandwagon here. Framed to match the cabinets.
February 2, 2013 at 4:19pm     
Lkristine
One more sconce idea if you like more modern. Could only attach 4 images previously.
February 2, 2013 at 4:51pm     
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Here is a before and after of a bathroom with similar space.
What do you think?
February 2, 2013 at 4:55pm     
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
The top picture shows one large mirror and then they framed it and put a cabinet between.
February 2, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
February 2, 2013 at 4:59pm     
tlkv
Just make sure the mirrors are BIG if you do two. You need to accommodate people of different heights doing assorted tasks so don't skimp on mirror surface area. I have a small bathroom with one vanity and it made a HUGE difference in the perception of the overall size of the bathroom to put in a huge framed mirror.
February 2, 2013 at 5:05pm     
ktiquet
Two mirrors for sure and three wall mounted lights and a back splash you need to Carrie on the same "baling " as the chandelier nice space post epics of whatever you do. Just make sure your happy with it you are the person who has too live with it not us on giving you our ideas of what we like good luck!
February 2, 2013 at 9:06pm     
ktiquet
Bling sorry stupid kindle
February 2, 2013 at 9:39pm     
PRO
Riverside Custom Homes
Two mirrors with 3 sconces.. One on each side and one in the middle..
February 2, 2013 at 9:50pm     
Suz
We are in the process of finishing up our master bathroom as well and it's a similar set up as yours! We are going with one large framed mirror. We don't want it to be too busy and the large mirror will make the bathroom look larger.
February 2, 2013 at 9:59pm     
zohrehalaghemand
It he wall is 55 by 112. I have a mirror from before with the dimension of 50 by 100. I am torn between the one or two mirrors as well. I also like this look by using my old mirror. My old mirror is not beveled and I can have it cut the same as the picture. What are your thought.
February 2, 2013 at 10:01pm     
mveasey
I would do two mirrors. Your space is already very large with lots of very hard surfaces. More glass(mirror) will make your room echo and give a cold impression. We had a huge totally tiled bathroom with massive mirrors, which were a pain to clean by the way, and it felt like a butchery or a lab and was always cold when you showered.
Your mirror decision will give your eye a visual break to see some "normal" wall and break up the space in a positive manner. This will also give each person sort of their own dedicated spot and not feel "lost in space".
I agree also on the two "larger" size mirrors and the three sconces.
February 2, 2013 at 11:23pm     
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
Those two are matching your faucets:))
February 3, 2013 at 6:05am     
Suz
I think that cut is beautiful! I would definitely consider that. Or keep it square and frame it to match your cabinets (which are beautiful, by the way). It would look great if you could put sconces on either side, too. I wish we kept our mirror. We didn't even think of it.
February 3, 2013 at 1:08pm     
zohrehalaghemand
Hi this is C
February 20, 2013 at 6:42pm   
zohrehalaghemand
This is what I ended up with.
February 20, 2013 at 6:43pm   
zohrehalaghemand
More pic
February 20, 2013 at 6:45pm     
exrose
I'm a fan of mirror/medicine cabinet over each sink with sconces on either side. One mirror would look like a hotel or restaurant bathroom (a nice one though). I'd suggest shelves inset in the wall or on the wall to add some interest and storage.
February 20, 2013 at 7:02pm     
lindzeer02
Two framed mirrors with sconces and upward facing lights. That way you don't see the bulbs.
Lighting website I've found extremely resourceful is FergusonLighting.com
February 20, 2013 at 7:04pm   
panjatty
Looks nice! I'm curious why you didn't put a third sconce in the middle. Is there enough light for shaving/putting on makeup with just the two on the outsides? I'd love to see a shot from another angle so we can see the new glass shower enclosure. :)
February 20, 2013 at 7:06pm   
zohrehalaghemand
There are other lightings in there so there is plenty of light. I am including more pictures. I would have liked for my mirror to have dark color wood frame but did not find a good one.
February 20, 2013 at 10:05pm   
panjatty
Very nice! I like the white frames. If you had gone with dark framed mirrors it may have thrown the balance off -- all the dark tones on top, lighter tones on the bottom would make the room seem top-heavy.
February 20, 2013 at 10:29pm   
cyn222
AVOID A WALL OF MIRROR...SO DATED! Sorry had to emphasize that! Many of the looks above are very elegant. When I resold my home the bathroom had individual mirrors over each sink and it was the selling feature in my master suite!
February 20, 2013 at 10:35pm   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
NICE!!! :)))
February 21, 2013 at 1:26pm   
cogym
I like this look. The vanity is so large that two would look "lost". Go with something very dramatic and chunky. You have the room to do it and it will look amazing.
February 21, 2013 at 1:32pm     
flgrandma
If you've saved your mirror, use it with framing around the whole piece. I really like the photo that cogym sent with the large framed mirror and the chandeliers over the sinks. Since you have a huge, beautiful chandelier in the room already, I'd have sconces to match.
February 21, 2013 at 1:46pm     
Jayme H.
I have one huge mirror and I have never liked it and plan to change it. My vote is for 2.
February 21, 2013 at 5:12pm     
coratan
Two mirrors with sconces to reflect the light. And perhaps a chandelier to add a little sparkle!
February 22, 2013 at 8:40am     
jwessling
Double with nice frames
February 22, 2013 at 8:42am     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.