powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! The green has taken over my guest bath!
melly1234
January 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The seller put in a new countertop and floor BUT there's wwwaaayyyy too much green for me. At first I went with it and tried to compliment the green. We're settled in now and this bathroom needs a serious makeover. We plan to tile the floor but the countertop has to stay..unfortunately. So I plan to paint the cabinet a dark espresso brown? Perhaps the walls a warm tan or gray?! Any suggestions?! HELP!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jessi Hardy
You could still do something with the countertops to make them work. They make countertop paint, granite paint, etc. I've even seen people tile over laminate counters. I've never tried it, but I've seen countertops that were they looked great. There are tutorials on the web for updating your countertops for cheap.
January 31, 2013 at 9:45PM   
Summer Scott
don't paint your counter tops! DONT!!!!
you need to paint your bathroom a complimentary color or a neutral in the tiles and the cabinets almost the same as the walls. a shade different is fine. but you don't want too much happening with the tiles and the counter. you need a neutral greenish or beige from the tile to bring harmony to everything that's going in in there. it's worse than it really is because the white cabinets are creating such a huge contrast.
then change the knobs on the cabinets to update them further. this is an easy fix.
January 31, 2013 at 9:49PM   
Summer Scott
you could allow the green to move you into a more retro look and tile the floors with while penny tiles or white hexagon tiles. super cheap. then you could keep the bathroom white and cabinets white or go for a VERY light grey. i'd stay away from espresso brown. it will look like dirt and the counter top is your carpet grass. then change the knobs.
January 31, 2013 at 9:52PM   
Darzy
No matter what you do to this bathroom you will not like it with the green counter and old cabinet. Get a cheap craigslist dresser, paint it and seal the top with Thopson's water seal. Cut a hole for your sink/faucet. You will love the look and have a unique and beautiful vanity.
January 31, 2013 at 9:57PM     
Darzy
Search Houzz for "dresser as bathroom vanity" and you will see wonderful ideas.

January 31, 2013 at 9:59PM     
Susanna
It looks like you could get away with keeping the floor but, Darzy is right, nothing will really change until you get rid of the countertop. It dates the bathroom more than the floor does.
January 31, 2013 at 10:17PM   
PRO
shericucc
I love the idea of the dresser painted but if you can't afford to do much having a limited budget, pick a color of the floor tile you like paint the wall a shade close to it. Paint the cabinet neutral color that coordinates, green beige, or a warm subtle grey spend your funds on beautiful well made knobs and a new mirror and lighting until you have the money to change out the counters and cabinet.
January 31, 2013 at 10:43PM   
More Discussions
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...
Help with improve the layout
Hi, So I'm moving to my very own place soon and...
wall behind bed advice
I have a small house all white walls ... main rooms...
Would this console table fit in the rustic hallway?
I am trying to create a rustic hallway for a client...
Need Help for Landscaping University site
The site is for a University near Shillong, Meghalaya,India...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.