Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Another question re: flooring for the living room area
Diann Devine
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are currently renovating our LR area, which is adjacent to the kitchen in the picture. It's basically one large open area with a step up into the kitchen. The kitchen cabinets are maple with a mocha glaze. We have a "hold" on wood flooring that is a bazillian cherry click and lock. It's very rich looking and my husband loves it (so do I) but I'm now wondering if it's too dark to go well with the kitchen. My style of sort of traditional/country and I know the cherry is more "formal". Husband says it'll be the furnishing that dictate the style more then the flooring. What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Frances Shears
JUST MY OPINION....BUT..I am a big fan of FLOW...If this space is ALL open...and your den is on the other side of your kitchen table...it MAY not flow too well with the cabinets! It might be SOO drastic ...If you have a chance ...or if you have time...maybe you can attach a picture of the entire space! I am a fan of contrast but in my opinion the flow has to be a subtle transition from one room to the other.....CERTAINLY when its all one open space! :-) (your kitchen is SOO clean)....I must clean mine and make 3 lunches...and FAST!! :-)
February 1, 2013 at 2:07AM   
Said Boucine
good thanks
February 1, 2013 at 2:49AM   
charleee
I promise you, if you go with flooring anything darker than a medium tone, you will regret it forever. Unless constant mopping and sweeping are what you enjoy! Dark floors are a maintenance nightmare. With the color of your cabinets I would go lighter with the flooring. Here's something you could try - purchase some black or dark brown poster board and cover your floor with it for a few days. Notice how dirt and dust magnify when they land. And, it will give you an idea of how the dark color will affect the mood and lighting in your room.

And in my opinion, it's everything in the room that dictates the style. Cabinets, floor, furnishings and accessories!!! Good luck to you!
February 1, 2013 at 4:31AM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree we would need to see more of the living area as well. If the rooms get enough sunlight, a darker flooring would work with a medium stained cabinets.

February 1, 2013 at 6:02AM     
smithlinc
I am not a designer, but I have to agree with oldbobbi: dark floors are a maintainence nightmare, especially if you have kids and/or animals. Been there and done that! That is my two-cents for what it's worth. Good luck with your flooring project. I love your kitchen, by the way. It's so homey--and clean!
I just saw the picture Dytecture posted. Maybe rich, light /dark combo flooring like that would be a consideration. That way it won't be too dark and still add contrast to your cabinets.
February 1, 2013 at 6:14AM     
haveman
Dark surfaces are harder to keep clean but not impossible. If you love the look of floors then get them. I think you need some contrast in the kitchen so darker floors would be nice. But be sure to balance it out by maybe changing the cabinet hardware to dark bronze and the shade over the window to something with more color (with a touch of brown or black). I wouldn't try to match the flooring to the cabinets. It never works and trying to match something just makes it look like you tried to match it and couldn't. I have had cherry floors before and loved them but they can be a bit red. Since your cabinets are maple you may consider going with more of a dark walnut stain (more brown than red).
February 1, 2013 at 6:38AM   
More Discussions
I don't know how to remove these
I moved in somewhere after an elderly woman and these...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Choosing the right kitchen faucet in proportion to the sink.
In my kitchen I am putting in the large 39 1/2" wide...
Master bedroom paint
I really like my bedding but the rest looks blaaa....
Need help for boat
Hello, need help with the living room of my boat: 3...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.