Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Warm up the Living Room and pull it together
kingslane
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Living room is huge with 15 foot ceilings. I can't seem to pull it together to make it cozy and warm. it's a Florida home. Have attached a photo of the room and a close up of the oriental rug. Gracias!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steven Sobti
Hi, you have great space and very nice high ceilings. So what I would do is, first of all is perhaps paint the room an airy white, kind of like a beige. Next, the variety of pictures in the wall make the wall look choppy, so removing them and adding one long mirror or painting horizontally on the wall would brighten up the space and pull it together. Also considering you would like to keep the oriental rug, I would add light blue accents, such as pillows and table decor matching the rug. Hope this helps!
February 1, 2013 at 4:18AM     
kingslane
Yes it does. I love the wall color and my Caribbean Art so I think I have to keep that. But, I have a date at a fabric warehouse this weekend to pull in some of the blue from the rug. I also have an enormous window on the side that needs a treatment. I am not concerned about privacy but about heat and light. It gets southern sun all day.
February 1, 2013 at 4:23AM   
phl1353
I think some cushions that are the colour of the rug would work well - some yellow and navy.
February 1, 2013 at 4:26AM     
Steven Sobti
sorry, didn't know you wanted to keep them, but adding color from the rug into the window treatemnts and pillows will make a big difference! You can try adding blinds which will take care of the heat and sun part and then simple thin curtains will look good as well.
February 1, 2013 at 4:27AM   
Patricia Pelgrims
I am in agreement with stevensobti 's first suggestion to paint the walls, much much much lighter ! I would even go for an off white/cream instead of beige. And pick up some of the rug colours for scatter cushions and throws. The strong dark wall colours you now have make the room look gloomy and dark IMO
Your artwork on the wall needs to be rearranged on that wall, seeing you'd like to keep them. Instead of having them in a horizontal line, group them together more.
February 1, 2013 at 4:47AM   
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
What are the dimensions of the room? Perhaps it's big enough to accomodate multiple areas (i.e.: additional seating, a stylish writing desk....etc). It would be nice to see the dimensions as well as what this room is used for - traditional living room for guest only or for family use.
February 1, 2013 at 5:16AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would keep the wall color that you love, and warm it up with drapes. Adding a cool neutral to the walls will only make it more cold and the ceilings will feel much taller.
February 1, 2013 at 5:22AM   
PRO
Design Mode
Can't see your entire room, but a start to letting go of the heavy, dark orange would be to keep one orange wall only, and paint the rest of the walls in a warm white. Light and bright automatically feels like warm sunshine.
Your windows could have horizontal blinds or shutters to adjust during the day - wood or bamboo - or white which I saw while in Antigua, West Indies on my best vacation EVER!
I think you need some tall floor lamps with an organic, warm, & natural feel. Adding layers and texture will create a coziness too.
I found this coffee table (houzz) that is light feeling, but organic, interesting, textural, and cosy. Your ottoman could be used for seating, because right now it just looks heavy.
Let the sun shine in!
February 1, 2013 at 5:29AM     
PRO
Dytecture
The red wall is a bit dark for the space in my opinion and that would be the only thing I would change.

February 1, 2013 at 5:56AM   
michigammemom
I think you are equating the dark terra cotta wall color with warm and cozy. Your rug is the star of the room. Take a look at this inspiration photo...it is light, bright, energetic, and cozy but it features light colored walls and colorful accessories that echo the vibrant rug colors.
February 1, 2013 at 6:02AM     
cam27525
I agree that you need to paint your walls a neutral tone. I'm a fan of kilm beige. Also, sorry but the pictures you have up look quite cheap and mismatched. I would get a very large statement painting. to hang above the sofa. I would also get some throw pillows in the same colors as in your rug for the sofa. Get some lamps on your end tables and a throw blanket to cozy it up.
February 1, 2013 at 6:23AM   
kingslane
ALL GREAT IDEAS. I LOVE THE LAMP AND COFFEE TABLE LOOKS. THE ORANGE WALL IS JUST ONE WALL. THE REST OF THE WALLS ARE OFF WHITE AND SO IS THE CEILING..
February 1, 2013 at 6:56AM