Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior color help
lindadeason
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to paint this house... But I am scared to death to commit to a color... Please help.... I am thinking green....and off white and maybe a rust color accent.....should I paint the brick?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
staciedpost
What's the tone of the roof shingles? red? gray? brown?
February 1, 2013 at 7:31am     
Judit
white!
February 1, 2013 at 7:51am   
PRO
Michael Kilpatrick Design
Linda,
Go with your first instinct. Green is a great choice for what appears to be a classic American Bungalow. Here is an image from American Bungalow magazine that might help. Also check out their website www.americanbungalow.com It's full of great info.

Don't paint the brick.
February 1, 2013 at 8:01am     
PRO
Dytecture
Perhaps a gray with green undertones.

February 1, 2013 at 8:06am     
lindadeason
The shingle color is a dark brown
So dont paint the brick...I hate the way that the the unpainted brick seems disconnected from the rest of the house...the brick is a very textured scratch-face brick and it would be impossible to get the paint off of the back wall of the porch...Maybe I should paint that wall to match the unpainted brick as closely as possible?
February 1, 2013 at 8:24am   
staciedpost
Can you limewash that type of textured brick? It would give it a patina, mute it's texture and color. This might "connect" it more to the greens and off whites.
February 1, 2013 at 8:27am   
PRO
Linda,
Do you have any pictures which show the brick more clearly? What part of the country are you in? Does it get cold / snow ?
February 1, 2013 at 8:42am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
There is s book called "Bungalow Exteriors" that has lots of information on exterior colors and finishes. It is available for '"American Bungalow" magazine. It is also available on Amazon. You have a great house!
February 1, 2013 at 8:45am   
lindadeason
I live in North central Texas,,we do get an occaisional snow and a few arctic blasts ,,,but normally pretty mild winters.I have attached a pic of the brick
February 1, 2013 at 11:23am   
PRO
One more. Can you post a picture with sun on the front of the house? Preferably with sun on the front and the side with the brick.
February 1, 2013 at 11:34am   
judianna20

The architect generously shared the paint colors :>)

Moore Architects, PC

These are the colors from Sherwin Williams...

All trim, including eaves: Downing Sand SW 2822 (finish-semigloss)
Cedar Shingles: Downing Earth SW 2820 (finish-flat)
Stucco: Downing Earth SW 2820 (finish-semigloss)
Windows: Polished Mahogany SW 2838 (finish-semigloss)
February 1, 2013 at 11:40am     
lindadeason
Here is a picture of the house with the sun on the front.
February 1, 2013 at 2:33pm   
robbonao
Ugly house just take it down
February 1, 2013 at 2:43pm   
maureenroth
robbonao, why would you post such a horrible comment?! If you don't like the house,MYOB.This site is for people who want help, not smart-alec remarks.
February 1, 2013 at 2:49pm     
lindadeason
maureenroth, Thanks for the support. I have really appreciated all of the helpful suggestions!
February 1, 2013 at 2:54pm     
maureenroth
No problem. Some people have no manners!
February 1, 2013 at 2:56pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
In matters of taste there is no dispute...but couth is harder to find apparently...love your bungalow!
February 1, 2013 at 2:59pm     
robbonao
I think the house it's beautiful.. Sorry for my comment earlier very rude of me.. I think you should power wash the brick and go with your original idea dark green and a dark beige with look great!!!
February 1, 2013 at 3:00pm   
aniluap2
Love Michael Kilpatrick and judyg suggestions. Definitely paint the brick. It will make a huge difference.
It's a great house with lots of character and will look fabulous when it's done. Be sure to post the finished result.
February 1, 2013 at 3:16pm     
PRO
Linda,
Thanks for the extra pictures. It really helps to see the front of the house in the sun.

I quite like the look of your brick. It appears to run across the inside of the front porch as well. Is that correct?
What I would suggest that you do is go with your first instinct of green and choose one that is warm and tending towards yellow. Avoid the blue based greens. Choose something like Benjamin Moore HC110 Wethersfield Moss or from Pratt & Lambert try CW410 Red Lion Inn Green. Paint or refinish the gable ends above the brick, the dormers and the base of the porch, but not the columns. This will frame the brick and the green will make the brick look less salmony.

Re-finish the porch columns in a light tan color that is very close to the brick color. Something like P&L CW305 Wetherburn's Tavern Bisque. Paint the beam across the face of the porch and the porch gable ends this same tan color.

Next, paint the flag pole, soffits, fascia and rafter tails an even lighter tan. Ask your paint supplier to cut the first tan formula in half. Paint these areas with a semi-gloss finish so that they have some shine.

The idea behind all of this is that you need to work with the brick that you have, don't try and hide it, but accentuate it.

The last thing that I would recommend would be to add some foundation planting at the front of the house. Plant a row of something like a white lace top hydrangea or some other WHITE flowering low growing shrub straight across the front on both sides of the entry walk. Keep it pruned to a level that is just below porch railing. From there you can build out other garden areas if you are a green thumb type or plant a few more ornamental trees out away from the house.

Have fun. It's a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.
February 3, 2013 at 1:15pm   
anitajoyce
! Green is the first color that came to mind that I thought would look nice on your nice house also!
February 3, 2013 at 1:28pm   
nevadan
I hater the sight of green houses. Use a gray or beige with white trim.
February 3, 2013 at 1:30pm   
More Discussions
Can I start kitchen renovation with lighting and do other work later?
I bought a condo in Oakland California. I don't like...
Vertical or horizontal tongue & groove for my bathroom
Hi Houzz-ers We're remodeling our small "master"...
Need help with my kitchen
We recently changed our kitchen from an impractical...
Column - between living room and dinning/kitchen combo ?
This house is a 1975 custom home - the divider came...
Buying Items on Houzz
Houzz recently started to allow their professionals...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.