powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with some Master Bedroom decor.....
Jeff C
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
OK, lets start with the master bedroom.... The furniture is brand new and so is the paint and windows.. The french door goes to the on-suite office and the pocket door goes to the on-suite master bath. Above the bed up top is hidden mood lighting behind an architectural trim.... Any help is good. Also the windows now have 2" white wood blinds. The lamps are my 20$ Lenox lamps that are worth 250$each... I work at the plant...LOL... The room is 13' x 15'. I also have the dresser with the mirrior that goes to the right of the bed. The sunk in section in the wall is for you know what.... The TV....LOL... You might have to lighting up the pictures to see the headboard rot iron work... My cell takes dark pics... Sorry..
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jeff C
Here are some more....
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:27AM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I think your headboard wall would look beautiful with operational roman blinds set in the window and side panels, either tied or straight to the floor or slightly on the floor. I think I would do both sides to hid the fact that the bed is in front of the trim on the inside edges. Depending on our style preference a beatiful white off white to a slightly pink not yellow or soft gray silk in plain, stripe or print - again it depends on your style preference. A very large rug with about 1 - 1 1/2' of floor showing would help to ground the space.

For fabrics, the ones placed in below are quite neutral and just meant to show you how the rug grounds the room and what the panels will do.

I've shown you 1 panel and two panels. From a design perspective I think the two panels are the better choice.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:05AM
PRO
two panels
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:08AM
PRO
1 panel
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:08AM
Jeff C
What about less rug... I like the two panel... But love how you did the pic for me... so cool... I hope I get more Ideas from you guys...
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
Less rug will make your space look visualy smaller. I know guys like to see the wood :-). Its a guy thing. I'm sure you will get tons of ideas from many people.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
The headboard is blending in with the wall right now, it may just be the lighting in the picture but maybe you want to hang the curtain panels all the way across behind the bed so it looks like one big window? This way the headboard will be the focal point on that wall...and also maybe get a taller harp or riser for the beautiful Lenox lamps, the shades look like they are a little too low
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:52AM
mpoulsom
Jeff C, I never say this, and am not saying this to offend you in anyway. Your furniture is very nice and the color of the focal wall is nice, but if I were you, I would repaint that wall in this case. The wall color and furniture are too close in color and the details just get lost. I think repainting would be your best bet. You may want to choose your bedding first and then take one of the colors from that for you wall behind your bed.
It looks like you have painted the wainscoting going into the office/closet (?) in the burgundy as well. That could stay, but I would consider doing a medium gray/blue for your headboard wall and doing a lighter blue/gray on the other walls, or either a light to medium gray/blue on all the walls. There is a lot of bedding out there with those colors and I think it would show off your beautiful headboard much better. Once you find some bedding you like, then pick out your curtain panels (either patterned, textured or solid, depending on the duvet.
I realize that you've just painted, but I seriously think in this case you would be far happier with the outcome if you started over on your wall color. Paint is cheap. Also, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like your paint has a bit too much shine to it. I would either do flat or eggshell.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 12:09PM
PRO
Galleria Place
We have some very nice decor and wall decor that would go great in the room.
Here is a link to our decor: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 12:12PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
mpoulson, I get what you're saying -- but I have to say that in CarolynC's 1st pic, the dark color gives the effect of the headboard going all the way to the ceiling. In that case, I like it.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 12:20PM
mpoulsom
I also think woven roman shades would be nice in there with curtain panels!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 12:29PM
mpoulsom
If you are opposed to a gray/blue, also a sagey green could work well as an alternative wall color. I still think looking for bedding first and getting opinions on that would be the smartest thing for you to do. I'll shut up now, but its just my opinion....of course it's your space in the end. :)
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 12:35PM
PRO
This is what it will look like with a wall of draperies. One gives the wall behind the bed more height and the other makes the headboard more prominent and gives that wall more width.

Neither is right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preference. I like both for different reasons and think if the fabrics and rug are fabulous you couldn't go wrong with either.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 1:19PM
Kim Parrott
I agree, accent wall is to close to bed color. I love the rug idea. But again, I'm a girl.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:31PM
PRO
Frank Webs mention of raising your lamps would be great. If new harps will make the shade too high you can always place a nice mirrored box or books below to raise them as they are a bit low for the headboard.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:32PM
Jeff C
Keep the ideas and comments coming... But let me edit a pic of what you see when you look at the wall like we see it... The colors are close but the pics are way dark... I do agree on the bedding first...
And I'll walk up to the lamp assembly area and see if she has some taller harps... Thanxs... Tonight I'll try and get the big dresser in... Thanxs...
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 1:38PM
PRO
Lamp shades should not cover the neck of the lamp too much (the neck is the part above the porcelain that goes up to hold the socket, too high a harp and the socket will show which is also bad, too low a harp and the lampshades appear to sit on the body of the lamp and look squat
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:39PM
mpoulsom
opinion only here....wouldn't putting fabric/curtain panels along the entire wall just cover up his accent wall idea? might as well just repaint. a lot less expensive. and personally i don't think he needs to make the headboard any taller looking than it is. It's a lovely height! The room looks spacious and proportionate to the furniture. Don't think it needs any illusion as far as that goes. Curtain panels on each side of the windows and shades combined would be nice.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 1:59PM
Jeff C
Ok, it is just the size of the lamp and also the angle you eye catch's the shade height. I walked up and should her the pic and she said that the lamp would look better on the tall dresser cause it is a short lamp... She said a taller lamp would look nicer.. She also said the harp was correct for that lamp. If you look at it like it would be on the tall dresser you can see the brass at the top but not the socket. She also said they would probably look good on the long dresser.. So guess I'll look up at the outlet store...LOL...I guess I got a lamp for sale....lol... Well I also have 3 matching vases that are pierced like the lamp's.. And a brighter pic below... And also a lamp base I could try If I can find. It is in the same collection... Thanxs...
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
That sounds like a good idea putting it on the taller dresser, the lamps are beautiful by the way!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:40AM
kittt29
Jeff, I agree with adding 2 long panels to each window in a lighter color as the example showed, it really lightens up the room and shows off your great colors. I think a rug is needed, if you don't like the big one then what about 2 smaller ones on each side of the bed? It's nice to see a bold color in a bedroom-so many of us worry about choosing the wrong color and how it will look that we opt for a safer, neutral color.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 1:59PM
Jeff C
Thanx... I acually got the expensive Valspar signiture dark color for $5 at lowes... Someone didn't want it... I also did the whole den in the same type of paint fo $5 each.. Grey and brownish red... The den has no wainscot just two toned... So I now have a dic of the other wall that needs some decor.. I also thought about the rot iron color.. it is Gunmetal darg goldish... but the little round medallions on the furnituer are more rustic goldish... it might look better and offset the darkness if I spray it rustic gold... Anyway any ideas on the new wall would be great.... Thanxs....
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:49PM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Where is the entrance to the room?
@ Carolyn C what software do you use to put in those curtains?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:39PM
starterhouse
Love your furniture - mind if ask where u purchased it?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:44PM
PRO
@Staged - DreamDraper
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:53AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend drapery on a decorative rod to really finish the look and give you the room darkening you would need. The fauxwood blinds look great however they don't block out much light.
I would mount a decorative rod 6'' above the window and put full panels to cover the window. Since your room is so dark I would go with more of a neutral color and also get some pillows made to match.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:02AM
Brooke Krause
I have master bedroom very similar to yours. I will attach images to show you how we accessorized using both silver and gold accents. I really love the dark walls, it gives the room a cozy, masculine, elegant, sexy vibe.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:11AM
PRO
Staged for Perfection
@ Carolyn Thanks!
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 5:56PM