Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with woman cave
tybates
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have just moved in my first house and am trying to figure how to decorate my "women cave" that will be use for home office/lounge/ girl night entertainment. There are several issues with this room that I have no clue how to make cohesive into a space that I want to call my woman cave. 1. prickly stucco on every wall including ceiling. 2. the only wall not covered in stucco is the real wood wall to either side of fire place which leads down to cabinets with the same materials. 3. brown faux styrofoam beam on ceiling. 4. Pergo flooring (i think). 5. just added a false wall over working wood burning fireplace where i wanted a t.v. to recess in but not sure if i did it right. 6. no clue what to finish the fireplace with.

I am not a designer and have been looking at pictures to get idea, but have no clue where to begin. I did have a person come over to pick colors and she suggested BM wedgewood grey and chantiliy lace, do you agree?? I like the color but just can't picture it. I like the wood walls but afraid its too cottage looking if painted white and don't want to have to tear it down. can it be covered or updated to look more modern. I wanted to use what I have to update the space. Not opposed to buying or changing somethings to create cohesion. Looking for a glam/elegant/mod feel but still comfortable and contemporary. I have already started with some furniture and layout and not opposed to DIY projects. The desk is primed and ready for paint

Can you help?? Any ideas would do.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Bonnie
Here are some pics of Benjamin Moore Wedgewood Gray and Chantilly Lace is the last pic.

It is a fairly bluish gray. I think it would look nice with your woods but I would paint a large sample on poster board and look at it in different lights to see if you like it. You don't say what surfaces the designer suggested painting the Gray versus Chantilly...

Living Room
Brady House
City Home
February 1, 2013 at 8:47AM     
tybates
she suggested I paint the trim and ceiling white and everything else blue including the wood. Does that sound right? I did paint a poster the wedgewood grey and it looks fine. I am just so nervous about painting the whole room one color. Don't want too much of a blue like in the bathroom picture. And leery of making a mistake in painting the wood. I love the living room picture but my sofa is more greyish beige color and not the warm beige as in the picture.
February 1, 2013 at 9:09AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You are not ready to choose a paint color just yet. Color choice should be last after you have chosen all your fabrics and patterns.

I like the wood on the fireplace wall. I like the faux beams. Not so excited about the floor. I would look for a very large rug with maybe large scale swirls and with color. This will give some curved lines to compensate for all the straight lines in the room. I love the 2 small chairs, I would use one at the desk and the other nearer the wood wall with a chest/credenza of some sort between with a lamp on it, and choose a large round mirror over the chest/credenza on desk wall, flank the mirror with 2 matched framed pictures (2 on each side). Move the chair from the corner to where the small chair on the right side of the fireplace is located.

The rug and bright pillows on chair & sofa will then tell you exactly what the wall color should be. Imagine choosing all of this after you chose, say blue for your walls...NOT. I would suggest a natural color, simple grasscloth for the walls. It is very warm and inviting, but also sophisticated. Put the color in the rugs, chairs, pillows and artwork.

Maybe add a very large tile travertine to the fireplace surround. You could add tall shelves on the wood panels (tall to display collected art objects and books. Or, leave them as is and add very large colorful art pieces. Hang working draperies in place of the verticals..simple plain textured fabric, very neutral on a rod as high as possible and way off to the sides for stacking when you have them open or want to use the door.
February 1, 2013 at 9:28AM     
bigplanet747
I just finished my woman cave - divorced and making my own home! I painted my walls in a light, almost blue looking dove gray and used a pale yellow inside shelves and for other accents. I used bright white trim for baseboards and around windows to make the pretty gray walls stand out. I complimented this with a sky blue linens and natural wood furniture. I love the end result. My home is peaceful, earthy and just pretty to come home to. It's a girly look - but a neutral beauty at the same time.
February 1, 2013 at 9:30AM     
carole
stucco;is usualy there because it hides a multitude of sins,if you really cant live with it,chissel it off back to brick and get a plasterer to redo the lot,same with the ceiling!!!it is a very messy job!! for the decorating continue the white wall next to the fireplace,then you could paint just the woodencabinets and get the biggest cream rug,you have some good furniture and love the fotoos in the ideabook!!
February 1, 2013 at 9:45AM   
selective
I think the grey is a bit too blah for the room. You have chosen beige furniture so you need something to warm up the room. Below are a couple of suggestions. Also, you may want to think about doing a nice wallpaper as an accent wall on the Green wall (example below), in the right color to match the paint. This would add interest to the room. As far as the stucco, I'm afraid you will need to sand it down. If you leave a little texture through, you may get an interesting texture to the walls when painted. You could try a small section before you sand all the wall/walls. Good Luck, it's a nice room you will enjoy it.
February 1, 2013 at 10:18AM   
nikitasmom
Depending on how many girls are hanging out you might be able to add cushions on top of the cabinets fon right side or additional sitting. Large artwork over it. Floating shelves on the other which could hold glassware, ice bucket, colorful mix bottles, etc. I liked your inspriation image with the desk. You could add a chandelier in between the lights against the wall and float your desk facing the room underneath it. Exchange the chair next to the patio window with the larger one in the corner.
February 1, 2013 at 10:48AM     
Chandani
The bones of the room say "zen" or "midcentury" to me. Would you be interested in moving toward that direction? If so, I think you could work with the couch, chair in the corner and desk, but not the two arm chairs (which are quite beautiful).
February 1, 2013 at 11:12AM     
mkittaka
women don't make caves. we create tree houses. airy spaces filled with light. creative use of space with lots of built-ins. we just painted our small kitchen with SW Color Name: Collonade Gray
Color Number: 2 7641. definitely a tree house gray.
February 1, 2013 at 11:48AM     
DIAspoton
i'd experiment with stains to get a very pale gray, weathered barn board look on the wood wall. leave the fireplace white. paint the other walls a VERY light,soft gray. put in a much larger rug with rich texture and a tone on tone pattern in off white or gray. i can't tell what material the black is on the ledges flanking the fireplace but they'd look better and enlarge the room if they were white.
not a fan of the 'pops of color'. seems dated. move the 2 chairs to one side of the sofa and the cream chair to the other. get rid of the little stuff on the desk wall. invest in a great, huge mirror, maybe 6'H X 3"W with a heavy but feminine frame. lean it to right of center. straighten desk.paint it white then use a pewter glaze. or go bold and go over the white with silver leaf. add a great chair. install a small crystal chandelier over it.
natural burlap on the windows for a more organic feel.
add bling with more interesting floor lamps with lot's of crystal. accessorize with shine: silver, ceramic,glass.
now bring in color with original art. if you've never collected, it's fun. go to small galleries and festivals. meet the artists. learn the stories and inspiraton behind the paintings,sculpture,photography, crafts. build the room over time. it doesn't have to be expensive.
ck out restoration hardware and ballard designs for inspiration. have fun!
February 1, 2013 at 12:12PM     
PRO
Galleria Place
We have some very nice decor and electronics that would go great in the new "woman cave".
Here is a link to our decor: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html
Looks great!
February 1, 2013 at 12:13PM   
tybates
Thanks for the comments on the two chairs. I picked them up from a consignment shop where I live. I like the wedgewood grey color, its fine but agree it's just so, so. You can see the poster board I painted in that color above the sofa in one pic.

-Barbara Griffith Designs- I like your ideas and will try out the layout. I agree with needing a rug but was not sure how large. Should it cover the room or just the sofa area. Should I get another rug for credenza area chair?

-nikitasmom- cushions on the cabinets??? They may be a little high for seating. They are approx. 30 in. high or more. I do love your idea about the shelving. What do you think about glass shelves? and the chandelier idea I love. I was thinking that too. i would need to use a swag chandelier because the cost to install may be too much right now. I have in a home depot recessed lighting conversion pendant lamp there now. I tried to have the desk facing front but it seems to protrude into the open passage way.

-Chandani- I really want to use the two arm chairs but need to look up "zen/midcentury".
hope that is not to dark because i want open and airy.

I have been looking at the stainless steel surround what do you think? And speaking of passageways any idea on how to close the space temporarily when I am ready? Another dilemma--color,color, color. So far I have been living in drab white wall apartments. Now, I'm terrified to color but know that I really want color. I like jewel tones and red but just really like the luxury, elegant, comfortable feeling.
February 1, 2013 at 12:32PM     
PRO
Endgrain Architecture
Embrace the wood ! It looks good specifically because it is applied to the wall AND cabinet. Treat it like an art installation and don't cover it up with any art... or it will look like a log cabin. Just utilize the top surface of the cabinet for display of well-appointed accessories. And, I can't tell from the photos, but if the wood is rough, it could be made more refined and elegant by sanding it and putting a clear, matte finish on it (you could do this yourself with a palm sander..... but it's messy and it would be best separate your working area out with a plastic barrier). And, yes, get as big of a rug as your money can get you to cover the floor.
The beams on the ceiling are a problem because they are not making any alignments with the space in relation to the fireplace and the doorways into the room.... so if you can remove them, great. If not, paint to match the ceiling to minimize them.
February 1, 2013 at 12:50PM     
Ramona
I love stucco and cannot imagine why it is out of style. Maybe I can pick up a retirement home people are shying away from. Grey, grey, grey. So sad. I agree that you are not ready to pick the wall color till you pick fabrics, etc. If I were going to go with the grey, I would definitely stain the wood grey too. I actually like the new greys but when every color question is answered by 'grey,' I really can't buy it. I also agree about neutralizing the ceiling beams. Is the flooring the same in the rest of the house.
February 1, 2013 at 1:19PM     
tybates
The flooring is different in the rest of the house. There is a greyish blue and white vinyl flooring in the hallway which serves as the entrance to the space. You can see the two open passageways in the pictures. The color consultant said the wedgewood grey picks up the color in the vinyl so that should be the color of the room, since you can see it from the door. The wedgewood grey actually looks more blue than grey. The living room has low pile beige carpet. She chose winter solstice for that room. And grey tint for the hall outside of my woman cave or "treehouse" if you will.
February 1, 2013 at 6:07PM     
PRO
Endgrain Architecture
I wouldn't be so concerned about letting a color in your vinyl floor dictate the color of wall paint. Unless, of course, you love that vinyl floor and the color in it! But, I should say that I have used a color very similar to the Wedgewood Grey and it is a very beautiful color that is calm, balances the wood, great with other colors (like the beige sofa, pink pillows, black & white cubes, etc. in the pics), AND people with all skin tones look really great against it.
You can check a project on my page"Hollywood Manor" where we used that similar Wedgewood Grey, but the walls in the photo look more washed out then reality.
February 1, 2013 at 6:39PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would try to cover a large portion of the floor with a rug..it will expand the feel of the room.
February 2, 2013 at 7:37AM     
nikitasmom
I would suggest you take additional photos of your fireplace and create a new discussion for just that. The only thing I came up with was to create a wrap around mantel. You could use stainless steel tile below it as you suggested. Add a shelf above the television to break up the large gap, or if you remove the beams add a false front to frame the tv and add an artpiece.

I did suggest the cushions as a way to girly up the dark wooden walls and to provide emergency seating options. I am not a fan of glass shelves but think they would look nice. Just make sure they are floating with minimal hardware showing.

The prickly walls may have been a sandmix texture that is added to paint. You could try lightly sanding a small area down in the corner to see if that is an option.

For the doors you may again want to take photos from the hallway looking in and from the room looking out to show wall clearances. I thought a barndoor style would be great until I noticed the intercome and light switches. French doors would have to open into your entryway and there are bifold doors as well.
February 2, 2013 at 8:54AM   
tybates
Well I am niw considering finishes for the fireplace. Keep the exsiting furniture what do you suggest? I was thinking shiny glass ceramic tiles to glam it up a bit. However nothing in this room suggests "glam". I want it to look glam but comfortable. What accessories and finishes on the fireplace will give me glam? Or should I stick with the current feel which I am absolutely clueless as to what it is called.
April 19, 2013 at 11:05AM   
Brenda
how much of the freplace are you thinking of tiling? do you have any current photos of the space?
April 19, 2013 at 11:09AM   
PRO
KShoa
When you're ready for art (you'll need some nice ones there) check out my work. I carry hundreds of configurations of canvas prints and originals: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Good luck!
April 19, 2013 at 11:29AM     
carole
please,could you put in a picture? here is what i would consider GLAM for a fireplace....
April 19, 2013 at 1:52PM     
calikym
I like the bright white you have right now on the fireplace so I would actually stick with white, VERY plain but also crisp. It's super simple but since the walls adjacent are so busy, it looks super mod! Just run all your electric there and afterwards, deal with what to put on top of the faux wall.
April 19, 2013 at 1:57PM   
calikym
Deal with what to put on there later. But you do need to be sure that the material you used around there is okay with wood burning around it. I would probably get someone in there and not DIY
April 19, 2013 at 1:59PM   
mkittaka
hi tybates, wow i love the diagonal wood walls & we have a similar wood burning fireplace layout in our family room. we put a large framed Hmong fabric piece of art above the fireplace. the stucco walls sound scratchy. do u have young children? i just got home from gym so i will write you later and even try to send u a pix of our fireplace. i am a newbie so getting a pix to you will be a new skill 4 me.
April 19, 2013 at 3:10PM   
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
Not sure if you would like to add modern art to your room. If yes, you could check out our Houzz page for some art ideas. Enjoy and good luck finishing your room!... Raisa
April 19, 2013 at 5:03PM   
tybates
Take a look at my ideabook. Do I have a set style? Is it glam? I'm totally clueless. I like the wood walls but also the glitz of glam. Would they mesh well together. The fireplace is not finished. The white there is drywall mud to cover nails.
April 19, 2013 at 5:17PM   
tybates
I'm fairly new myself mkittaka. The walls are scratchy and I do have children. I want a way to update them without a big price tag. The problem with this room is too many texture,, ie. Wood wall, scratchy stucco walls, faux wood beam ceiling with same stucco and parquet flooring.....Then to add some sort of glass tile to the fireplace? My delimma is how do I make them cohesive or what do I change to get that look without breaking the bank. I just purchased the house and want to make it nice for upcoming housewarming. I think the wood walls are unique and would like to enhance them for an updated look.
April 19, 2013 at 5:27PM   
studio10001
I think a matte finish is called for here, and would look at metallic tiles, or the softest, plainest slate you can find.
April 19, 2013 at 5:48PM   
bevballew
I would keep the wood which will work. It will be a great look with what you want. You have a nice look to start with with your furniture also! Look forward to the journey!
April 19, 2013 at 5:49PM   
libradesigneye
tyb - What if you did a herringbone pattern on the whole fireplace elevation with some gorgeous stone in maybe 4 x 16 sized pieces. I'm thinking of crema marfil marble or vein cut travertine and not in a mosaic with busy herringbone at small backsplash scale but large pattern that is sized / scaled to repeat across your fireplace. See this attached Ann Sacks pattern of chevrons to get the concept - a tile layer can replicate herringbone for you - it is a little different that these chevrons with angled ends - see the 1 x 12 travertine on the second image floor - i found that at http://homedecorbudgetista.blogspot.com/2011/09/bathroom-inspiration-tile-shop.html so you can look at it from different vantage points. That would sort of echo the wood angles and honor it, but also make it feel deliberate and stylish by repeating the pattern.

I would wash the wood with one coat of whatever taupe / gray / greige / tan paint you choose without priming. The grain will read through, but you will get some gorgeous cream, taupe, grays as the neutral paint softens the reds in the wood tone, but the grain reads through. As far as paint color, I do think you will like the blue-gray, but then I guess I see that won't be terrific with the red accents you are showing now.

If you were selecting a rug (sized for the seating grouping is enough) and you chose it like art, would you rather have red than blue? That tells you what shade of paint to test (blue = blue-gray, red = camel / tan) If red is your favorite (and most women look great in red, love it but have to keep it in the gal cave), I say look at classic oriental rugs or even consider a kilim - they have the sort of style that fits perfectly with the wood wall and would elevate it -especially after it becomes a real feature wall from the tan paint wash. Pottery Barn has great kilim pillows too.

If you love the red as your color here, then I would go more towards a camel tone on the wall and to wash the wood - like sw crewel tan. I think having the wood washed (painted one coat with paint that has been watered down just a bit so it can be spread evenly) with a camel or taupe paint like crewel tan or reticence http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6064-reticence/ will give you an amazing result that you will be really pleased with - it pulls some gray tones out of the wood, but since the walls around it are also camel, or gray - it seems like a feature but unified with the whole room rather than apart. You can test this on the inside of the doors on your casework.

With gray paint or camel, I don't see any white paint. If you painted the walls camel, I think I'd paint the ceiling between the beams a soft gray matched to the wood elements that were grayed after the wash. If you go with blue gray, I'd put a beige / off white to match my upholstery. Taupe go one lighter on the ceiling.

The juxtaposition of the wood wall, kilim, your pretty chairs and stone herringbone could be wowsa!
April 19, 2013 at 6:53PM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I'd totally do the wood chevron walls in this finish and the beams.....http://www.bradley-usa.com/furnishings/case-pieces/credenzas-consoles/charlie
April 19, 2013 at 6:56PM     
studio10001
Just saw your last post tybates -Have you checked yet to know if you have additive grit vs sharp stucco? If the former, it can be largely reduced by sanding and painting. Every paint layer disguises more of the grit.
Endgrain gave very good advice re your wood and styrofoam, (While you have the sander out) and the stain color of your wood can be changed to coordinate any way you like. Texture is a good thing, as long as it doesn't cut you, so leave it be on the ceiling, lose the styro, work with the wood and tame the walls.
April 19, 2013 at 7:04PM   
yvonnecmartin
Probably I am a radical, but if this were my room I would buy a large royal blue carpet, keep the white walls and fireplade, and discard all the red accents. The coffee table would be glass and metal. As for arrangement of seating, that depends on how many you anticipate to entertain.
April 19, 2013 at 10:53PM     
kathleen MK
To me the wood walls and faux beams scream MAN cave 70's style and the Parquet floors and the chairs are more Marie Antoinette feminine. What about fabric covering the paneling?
Instead of sanding, it might be easier to skimcoat a smoother texture over the sharp stucco with texture paint.
April 19, 2013 at 11:59PM     
mkittaka
hi again..do u have time to look at Ann Sacks tile store site? Ann Sacks has some very interesting wood tiles. I like the Thai inspired wood collection. I'm thinking you could eyeball how Ann Sachs highlights her wood tiles to get ideas for highlighting your diagonal wood walls. i'm half way 2 figuring out how 2 send u a pix of our fireplace. the easy solution is steal my hubbie's iPhone. keep on designing. christine
April 20, 2013 at 2:16PM   
tybates
Omg. You all have some very good ideas. I like the whole concept of "washing" the walls with paint and having the pattern on the fireplace, Libra. Very detailed. I just have to do some research into some of the terms you used. I am not set on the red pillows. They can be changed. I really don't have a color scheme set. Mkittaka, I will check out Ann Sacks. Fabric sounds like a great temporary change especially since I my house warming is coming up.
April 20, 2013 at 5:56PM   
carole
-CMRI&DCI your link did not work,hope its ok i've put the picture of charlie,like the look of that very much
April 20, 2013 at 10:49PM   
tybates
Well I decided to just decorate and have a impromptu housewarming. I took 2 hours at the store and bought things for this room, family room and dining room. So here is what I did with this room. What do you think? ?? What finishing touches are needed here?? I want to add something to add some glam and sparkle. The things on the cabinets are few housewarming gifts....disregard; they will not be staying there. What decorative items would look good on the cabinets? Would chevron and color washing the wood walls still work? What about wall color now; what should it be? The beams; stay and painted or removed? Excuse the shadows..its morning.
May 30, 2013 at 8:09AM     
daylightca
It's looking so much better!
1. I would either paint the beams or remove them.
2. I like the wood walls and cabinets, it adds a bit of character to the space. What is the finish of the top of the wood cabinets on either side of the FP? If anything, I would consider painting the top or tiling to match what you are considering doing with the FP. It will break up the wood and perhaps glam it up a bit.
3. Replacing the vertical blinds with drapes is going to help the look of the room immensely.
May 30, 2013 at 8:25AM     
daylightca
After tackling the above, you may want to work on the home office portion of the room. I think you can make it look much more cohesive with the rest.
May 30, 2013 at 8:28AM     
Beth Bourque
Paint your beams a caramel color to better match the diagonal wood or paint them to match the ceiling. They really distract as they are. Add a small table and lamp to the left side of the sofa on the blank wall. Add some art or mirrors above it. I'm not crazy about the tufted bench in this grouping. The coffee table would look better if it was closer to the sofa. Bring your reading chair and lamp back into the group where the bench was.
May 30, 2013 at 8:43AM   
libradesigneye
Happy housewarming! I still vote for chevron stone tile on the chimney bump, and washed wood to give you a completely sophisticated look. Or, if you are loving the natural wood tones, pick out a stone that is lovely with that.

To install some large (long skinny) format stone tile in a herringbone pattern on your fireplace wall - A tile pro can lay this out for you - or take the time to draw out what you want so you get the scale you love / and can envision what it will be. Use some grid paper and a pencil to see what you like best and hand it to the tile guy.

You can start by dividing the width of your chimney wall into 5 - (2 full chevrons plus legs), 6 (3 full chevrons) or 7 (3 full chevrons plus legs), then draw in the 45 degree diagonal (measure out a square and draw from corner to corner) in that distance (length of tile will increase) and see how long the pieces would be. That will give you a sense of what size tile would work best - 6 x 24 seems like one of the better scales for the images we've seen and the scale of your wall. The actual length of the 45 would need to be 6" less to allow for the end trims that would make the perfect chevrons - giving you 18" lengths on the diagonal. (Now, there will have to be grout joint room of at least 1/8" and you will want to cover the sides with tile too/ cover that joint with the face stone which will widen the face by 3/4" or so - but those can work together to make your measurements pretty close.) Those joints are one reason to select real stone instead of tile, however, so you don't have any raw edges to worry over.

Lots of stone tile is available in this size - you may want to test wash the wood on the inside of the cabinet (try out other ecru color options if you like/ get the water paint ratio right) before you finalize the stone so you can pick up on the tones that come through.

I recommend you drybrush the beams with full strength paint (they are darker and will be drier too) and wash the wood walls with a platinum taupe paint watered down by 1/3. You will get grays and browns and taupes and creams out of the wood walls and doors from this method. Paint the walls two shades lighter - test http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7017-dorian-gray/ on the wood and (from the same card) repose gray on the walls. Test also amazing gray or pewter tankard tones for wood. Or go warmer by leaving the wood walls, drywashing the beams with a camel toned paint like sw rookwood clay and pick out a stone with golden undercurrents or warmth. You can get the look of the reclaimed wood if you wash it with one of the taupe grays - and it will still look great with the wood floor.

Consider painting your desk with sw mink - a terrific neutral that is a match for annie sloan french linen. p.s. loving your poster art as stand in for future stuff - this is an amazing space that will be great no matter how far you go.
May 30, 2013 at 10:16AM   
Beth Bourque
The fabric idea is great. In fact, you could hang draperies there to make it feel like windows were behind it. Or a light blue and white color wash on the wood that is akin to the rug isn't out of the question. What about two very large mirrors leaning up against the wood wall?
May 30, 2013 at 10:54AM     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
If you are planning to add an art piece over the sofa, here is one suggestion... Raisa

May 30, 2013 at 10:58AM     
handymam
2 points...Why is the VanGogh like pic over the firelplace hung horizontally when the picture appears to be vertical?

Is it just the camera angle, or does the beam that goes to the white part of the fireplace wall not go to the center of the white part? My house has the same styrofoam beams and they are not in the center. I painted them white like the ceiling and they weren't as noticeable. Thought of removing them, but my handyman said it may cause damage to the ceiling to do that, so I left them. Got compliments on the solution, people said it looks better white.

The new rug is nice! I like what you have done so far, but the side wall needs some art on it too! Love the idea of fabric on the walls as a temporary fix.
May 30, 2013 at 4:34PM     
rinqreation
I haven't read all the comments, but please get that mantel done by a professional, wood burners emit heat, a lot, which might damage your tv. I personally would never do a tv on/in a mantel. I see loads of them and I assume their either very well insulated and/or have gas hearths. Your hearth seems to be too recessed now to be able to put wood in it safely. Have that done by a pro and focus on the rest of the room for diy.
May 31, 2013 at 1:27AM   
rinqreation
By the way, your room does have a classic and early 20th century feel to it. I'd say embrace the wood, add caramel/gold and champagne color and bronze, paint the ceiling pale seablue to cool it all down a little, some dovegrey. Black, eggplant and magenta accents. Leave no spot untouched/white. Wish you the best.

May 31, 2013 at 1:34AM     
rinqreation
Hmm, just saw some pictures of the recent situation. Furniture - rug - looking very good and ladylike! Hope you'll be painting all walls like I mentioned in my post above, some in metallic shine. Keep the beams brown, will look great with pale blue inbetween. Or, if you want to keep some things white, paint the beams white, but add a crown mold to frame the enitire ceiling.
Exquisite Interiors in Minneapolis
Parkinson Avenue West
Traditional Living Room
J Designs, Inc
jane Lockhart Interior Design
Sitting Room
May 31, 2013 at 1:46AM     
Pat Hager
I would paint the beams white and hang white floating shelves on the wood paneling. A very large piece of art on the end wall and colorful pillows on the sofa would help a lot. Place a geometric flat weave area rug, make sure it's large enough for the coffee table to sit entirely on it. Less small accessories and a few more statement pieces. Remember less is more. Reupholstered your accent chairs in a more modern printed fabric and rehang your window treatments at the ceiling height, it will make the room look taller. These are all inexpensive things that can be done with great websites. Home decorators.com. Ballarddesigns.com, art.com, spoon flower.com Have a great time decorating and make it a fun cheerful room, one that puts a smile on you face every time you walk into that room.
June 2, 2013 at 6:01AM   
vikki0730
this is just me but...I'd sit and figure out what my favorite things /places are...ex. the beach, Italy, the garden etc. then based on your answer make that room a reflection of that. We are building a house so it's easier for me but I need a home office and have always wanted a library, hubby and I lived on a boat for 10 years so I like nautical things and the house style is French Cottage...so my office is going to have built in library shelves that are distressed French white and a French Writing Desk. I picked colors of the sea and will decorate with things like a globe, the temp/humidity readers from our boat...or maybe you have a favorite piece of art pr artist...start there and doctorate using the colors in that art. You want your likes and personality in the room. It should be obvious it is your space! Good luck
June 2, 2013 at 7:55AM   
K'lyn D'Elia
you could paint the beams and the wood an walnut brown/black ... with a glossy finish... the walls gray ... Revere Pewter would be nice... then a large picture of Marilyn Monroe in Pink/white over the sofa... add some zebra print splashes... like a rug or pillow... add a pretty glossy black chandelier over the table... and over the fireplace I like that sunburst mirror. :)

[houzz=
]
June 2, 2013 at 8:37AM     
lali51
A washer machine a dryer and a slop sink with some shelving for appliance storage and a place to put the vacuum cleaner and something for cleaning products and buckets and stuff.
June 2, 2013 at 9:18AM   
Chenai Maguwah
Hi! I came across this and I must say your room is beautiful. The only shame is that it looks like it was intended to be a "man" cave because of excess of dark colors, (straight lines from beams, dark wood). And you've done a great job doing a quick fix up to make it more feminine. It definitely looks more feminine. I am not an interior decorator or designer, I sometimes don't know the right terms to use; but I do know how colors work together, I've been told many times that I should get into this business, so I hope I can also give some useful feedback. I could not help but notice that in addition to the dark wood, you may be adding to the darkness/ muteness with all the dark furniture. Your chairs are absolutely lovely and the rug exquisite. However, too much neutrality (if that is a word; greys browns and blacks) in a room when there is a heavy accent wood wall makes it harder to make the room feminine. On that note, my suggestion is a process of elimination.
1. identify the problem area
2. figure out why its a problem area
3. Look at what you have and don't have (in terms of furniture accents)
4. What style you are looking for
5. Create/draw the style plan without the problem area (as if it doesn't exist)
6. Rearrange your plan/so that it incorporates the problem area while fixing the issue at the same time (this would be the hardest part but this always works)

So, In looking at your fabulous room and your goal to make it a woman's cave. I thought of all the colors, shapes and textures that reflect woman/feminine; white, pink, purple, gold, silver, clear, crown molding, fur, paintings, circles/curves etc. And I drew a plan of what the ideal woman cave to me looks like; drawing it based on the typical shape and set up of the room (beams, fireplace,large open space) and colors and wall art etc. Note I said ideal because this sketch may not even incorporate the furniture you have and the wood wall isn't included in the sketch, because I see the wall as the main problem area.

Once you draw that ideal room space, then you can see how you can incorporate what you have into that space (the chairs) the kind of paint you should use for your ideal space, the furniture you have that you should place or not place in the room (perhaps replace and take from another room?). Then look at the accents you can use to now incorporate your wall. If you look at it that way; your wall becomes an accent instead of a dominating factor in your home. In this case the colors that would resolve your issue is gold (bright) white (neutral bright and balancing) These are my off the top quick suggestive changes, perhaps you have already thought of them; but here they are anyway :)
a. Move or place your white cushions and put one on each of your dazzling chairs. (white offsets the dark neutral color if distributed evenly. If you use fancy glossy white cushions with embroided detail (gold undertones), it will bring out the lush of the chairs (Parisian style)e and make your room 50% more feminine.
b. Another rug cant hurt, or you can even replace the rug you have; a large white fur/sheepskin rug or multiple sheepskin rugs (ikea). Again the bright white offsets the wood color while still complimenting it as background accent and we cannot deny that "fur" is feminine.
c. Not sure if what you have above the fireplace is a mirror or a TV? I cant see from here sorry, but if its a mirror, why not look for a round accent mirror with a fleur-de-lis style? To add with a gold frame? The mirror would brighten up that side of the room, the round appeal is feminine and the gold frame compliments the wood beams and wall (acts as balancing color) and adds to the currently going gold undertone from cushions on the chairs.
d. For your center table think exquisite ornament or vase. With just the right vase in the right color and texture you wont need to place anything on your ottoman.

Before I conclude, I did find at least 9 pictures on Houzz that have the same features; beams, wood accent walls, fireplace as your room. If you do a search "white with wood" you'll find them. I felt that these were the best examples on how to make your room feminine without being dominated by the wall and beams. Hope this helps! Your room is fantabulous!
June 12, 2013 at 8:56AM     
PRO
Persian Crafts
Check these rugs too. They are hand woven Persian rugs on sale with free shipment. For more information and receiving our catalogs mail us at:
thepersiancrafts@gmail.com
June 12, 2013 at 10:43AM     
tayshunajackson
thoes r nice can i ask u a question
June 12, 2013 at 10:45AM   
PRO
Persian Crafts
ofcourse
June 12, 2013 at 11:10AM   
bevballew
Your room is actually pretty nice. Maybe new flooring but mostly just artwork and finishing touches unless you want to put a lot of money in it then you have some great ideas. If not, I say large pieces of artwork on each side of the fp. Maybe a starburst mirror in the center then. You could paint the short wall where nothing is there a dramatic color.
June 12, 2013 at 6:19PM     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Paint the whole room one color the gray will be nice. Ceiling and trim in wide. Leave wood beams alone. You have no Color in this room. Remove vertical. Add a panel on each end on stainless rod. I like the teals with gray walls. At Bed &bath they have a satin shiny peacock blue panels. Very nice. Add same color in a print with silver to pillows on sofa and chairs. Put the 2 wood arm chairs Side By side facing window. Put bigger white chair opposite facing others. Center desk on wall it's on. Place chair so back is to wall. Put a large rectangle mirror in black and silver frame big 5 ft by 40". Center on wall low. Put a 40x40 oil painting lots of bold colors on wall over sofa. Hang 5" above back. Fill in dead space in corners with potted palms. One on each corner of desk wall and window. A very big coffee table in wood and glass square 40 x40 brush nickel lamps change shade on one you have to black.
June 23, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Large 8 x10 area rug in contemporary design, black, gray, white some teal. Or blue shades. On wood wall walls paint lack. Firepl will be the gray. Is that a TV? Remove all Luther from wood tops. Place large contemporary art on each side of FP. 40 x40 hung 7" above top of cabinets. Put very tall pots in various size on counters do groups of 3 on ends. Mix teal, black and gray ceramic pots. Mix it up. Maybe some large plates on plate stand on other end. Nothing else. TJMax good place for accessories. And art.
June 23, 2013 at 2:38PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Put back can lite over desk. Desk doesn't need low light. Black boxes put by plants. Ikea has some great desk supplies. Get in brush nickel. Ikea also has 36" silver metal plant containers, get two and use by desk corners. They also have ceramic pots get in color teal or turquoise or black would work. On coffee table put a very large basket fill with plants silk and orchids . Orchids on wood counters would add interest. For chair at desk get a zebra print or lip cover the one you have in zebra. Put lamps you have on either side of sofa.
June 23, 2013 at 2:46PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Remove beams. they are not modern looking. Leave wood as is or paint as I suggested above. Paint desk black. Or get a larger one with a lass top and crisscross dark wood legs. Pier one has it. Other looks to little girl. Pier One has great chairs, for desk. Also end tables and lamps. You could add slate stone to firepl. Looks contemporary and adds interest. You could put large TV 50" on top of counter to right of FP, just have art on one side. Just sit on counter.
June 23, 2013 at 2:56PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Do not do chandelier unless you can hang from ceiling not swag, that went out in the 70 s. start by painting the other stuff will fall in space.
June 23, 2013 at 2:58PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
By the way the gray is more than so so. It looks great up.
June 23, 2013 at 2:59PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Don't worry about texture of walls will all blend when done.
June 23, 2013 at 3:00PM   
Ken Lewis
Don't waste your time with DIY design. Hire a professional who can get it done for you right the first time- it will save you a ton of time and money. Some of the best interior designers can be found here: http://keyinteriordesigners.com/
June 23, 2013 at 3:02PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Just saw pics of housewarming better. Don't like bench. Add big chair instead, but arrangement works. I would still center desk and fix hanging light. Removes beams too. Put slate on FP. It's getting there I would still do windows I suggested before.
June 23, 2013 at 3:05PM   
bevballew
I would do what Travis interiors suggest and you will be done, tho not sure about removing beams.
June 23, 2013 at 3:46PM   
Melinda Travis
I had foam fake beams & removed them & repainted ceiling. Room is brighter & bigger.
June 23, 2013 at 4:02PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
I like wall paper with trees above. Sanding walls no. Way to messy and won't do much. Wallpaper on desk wall would give interest to rm. nothing hung on it. It's art by its self.
June 24, 2013 at 11:04AM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Love the herringbone tile above for fireplace. The pearl is interesting.
June 24, 2013 at 11:05AM