Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need suggestions for ugly fireplace
mark_dorothy
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this house and I would like to have a mantel installed. We have these huge cubby holes that I intensely dislike. There are two arched ....
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mark_dorothy
Not sure why my photo rotated on this post....please help
February 1, 2013 at 8:44am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
By tearing out the horizontal shelves you have the opportunity to install built in cabinetry. A combination of shelving and cabinets with doors makes sense. Take a look at the attached traditional home for an idea of what I mean.
February 1, 2013 at 8:50am     
mark_dorothy
Thanks, I was wondering if you have any design suggestions for the space if we plastered over the entire area
February 1, 2013 at 8:54am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
My input is usually reserved for the nuts and bolts issues on houzz. Cabinets, systems and practical problems...For bare walls, paint and furnishings, I recommend the designers. They will have about 900 ideas for your bare walls. Paint and fireplace finishes are common issues here on design dilemmas, take a look at other discussions to get some ideas of what you like. That and fireplace images on the site are easily searchable. Your design esthetic and goals will inform the designers. Posting pictures of your favorites helps define your style. Hope this helps!
February 1, 2013 at 9:09am   
tmaxs
I would get rid of the cubby shelves. They are just too busy. You could design a nice clean entertainment area instead if you need to. Put stacked rock or another kind of facade around the fireplace itself and a nice mantle. Paint the walls in a color to complement the tone. (I will see if I can find you a picture)
February 1, 2013 at 9:29am   
mark_dorothy
Thank you for your feedback! We are leaning heavily towards ridding the shelves. Please post any pictures that would help.
February 1, 2013 at 9:38am   
bubblyjock
OMG - those holes in the wall - reminded me of the photos I've seen of the catacombs under Rome, lol.

Anyway, can you simply have a carpenter frame some cupboard doors for them? That way you can still use them, you just don't have to have them staring down at you...

I like Ironwood Builders' idea, too - can you put shelves in the upper ones, cupboard doors on the lower ones? That keeps the visual weight lower down aesthetically. You can then put books, photos, ornaments, etc, on the upper shelves, and stash more unsightly stuff down below.
February 1, 2013 at 10:01am