Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Repost: Window with shades
Alexei Rebrov Art
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have 10 feet high ceiling and 8 feet high windows in my condo. I have window shades pulled down all the time because of either bright sun or heat insulation. So I have one "wall" in my living room empty. I thought decorating the window space with art hanging from the ceiling or ventilation thing (see photo). My question is: did anybody see/did anything like this? Do you have example or photo? What are other options?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
Any comments guys?
February 1, 2013 at 1:49PM   
yvonnecmartin
You could also get roman shades in some pattern.
February 1, 2013 at 1:52PM   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
@yvonnecmartin I am not sure if they go with modern style of the condo though. But thank you!
February 1, 2013 at 1:56PM   
yvonnecmartin
It would depend on the fabric that you choose.
February 1, 2013 at 2:05PM   
shinaynaye
Great space!
February 2, 2013 at 7:29PM   
trasgorshek
Wow, you are in a pickle because of the vents above aren't you?.. If you hang them from the ceiling then are they too far forward?? What are your current shades made out of? I'm wondering if there isn't some way you could do art on the actual shades themselves. Maybe a print, similar to the sample art you used or you could commission an artist to paint something on them. Graffiti art or abstract art would be pretty cool if they could do it on the material you have. Do you have a good art district where you live? If so, I would venter down and talk to a gallery or two and see if they have any artist they represent that they could direct you to or even an art supply store could give you some names.
February 2, 2013 at 7:59PM     
trasgorshek
Ok, I just saw your work in your projects...beautiful pieces!! How does the aluminum sheeting work with the prints? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a way to first take your shades and put a UV coating blocked off where the print would go (to protect from fading), then print a backing of metallic first to give a similar effect that the aluminum does, then do the print directly on top of metallic?? I'm just throwing this out there. It's been 10 years since I was in the printing industry, I'm just trying to think how you could still get your work up using what you have and not drilling into your HVAC vents.
February 2, 2013 at 8:10PM     
allthingsmodern
I love the neon art idea, basically tv screens changing to the mood you want to convey or feel yourself--- or one repeated tv screen all over the room-- won't miss a minute.
February 2, 2013 at 8:14PM     
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
@trasgorshek
Thank you! I live IN artist district, as you guessed ;).
I like the idea of making art using shades as media. They made of synthetic material and I can roll them up (which I almost never do). Though despite I like the idea i would not invest in this as it makes art not transferable to other places. And there is no room for an error. The shades are quite expensive.
I am considering putting out aluminum prints. The question is/was how to hang them from top or invent the way to hang them on walls/boards on wheels.
Taking into consideration that prints on aluminum are extremely light, I can hang them on the metallic wires from the back side of the vent. There is a distance about 6in between vent and window (that's why you don't see rollers of shade material up below the ceiling). My plan to use two wires per print and two stoppers on each side of the wire. One at the bottom and one controlling the top edge of the print. On my initial design the pictures are about 60x40" so they will weight about 9 or 10 lb.
February 2, 2013 at 8:58PM   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
@allthingsmodern
TV screen or neon art is awesome idea. The question is how do I hang or raise the TV in the middle of the window?
February 2, 2013 at 8:59PM   
parisgirl1970
It looks like a beautiful dental office. Very modern. Maybe it needs something living, like some plants to make it come alive? And some pictures of people you love. other wise, you did a neat job.
February 2, 2013 at 9:03PM   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
@parisgirl1970
There are some pictures of family members on the shelves on right hand side and on the wall behind the camera. The project of putting pictures along windows needs to solve the problem of "office" feel :)
PS: Partially it's an office though :) I sell my art sitting on the couch in the middle of the room :)
February 2, 2013 at 9:15PM   
trasgorshek
Have you tried www.gallerysystem.com? Not sure if that will work with the tight 6" but they might be able to custom make a system for you. There's also www.pictuehangingsystems.com.
February 2, 2013 at 9:22PM   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
@trasgorshek
WOW! This is excectly what I was looking for! www.gallerysystem.com and www.pictuehangingsystems.com have them. I just didn't know that name for it. I saw them in one store before and it gave me the idea...
Thank you very much! I think I am very close.
February 2, 2013 at 9:31PM     
trasgorshek
Oh good! Glad I could help some. You'll have to repost when you get them up! They are beautiful!
February 2, 2013 at 9:50PM   
More Discussions
BM Whitestone Gray...warm or cool??
Is this a warm or cool gray? Thank you!! http://m.benjaminmoore.com/paint-colors/color/whitestone...
Need help with a basement remodel plan
The main problem is that I hate drop or suspended ceilings....
Empty corner
Help! Looking for something to fill this empty space....
Exterior paint color for siding and door
I don't know what colors to go with.. For the shutters,...
Moving toilet 180.
Remodeling a bathroom and I am wondering...is it very...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.