Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Looking for backsplash suggestions
Robert Seeley
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Recently completed a kitchen reno and we are having difficulty deciding on the right solution for the backsplash. The granite counter top is Bianco Romano.

Want something that is easy to clean and subtle. Looking at extending backsplash to ceiling behind vent hood.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Leanne Morris
I think white subway tiles would look clean, classic and fabulous!
February 1, 2013 at 9:32AM     
tmaxs
Kitchen turned out really nice, but needs a little color to accent. Consider tiles or glass tiles for backsplash.
February 1, 2013 at 9:32AM   
0825sam
Maybe a glass subway tile in a tone picked up from your counter. 4x12 might be a little more exciting than 3x6.
February 1, 2013 at 9:47AM   
chinch
can you tell me about the pendants they are beautiful!
February 1, 2013 at 9:51AM   
Robert Seeley
Home Depot, Approx $50
February 1, 2013 at 9:54AM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would go with a classic beveled edge subway tile in a slight off-white. Standard white grout.
February 1, 2013 at 9:55AM     
PRO
StoneImpressions
Beautiful Space! Take a look at some of our kitchen backsplash ideas. We hand print patterns, murals, and decoratives onto natural stone. Our tiles are sealed at our factory with an industrial sealer that works great in kitchens and easy to clean.

We have a beautiful White Carrara that would compliment your counter tops!

Please see some of our past kitchen backsplashes at this link: http://www.stoneimpressions.com/kitchen-backsplash-design-ideas/
February 1, 2013 at 10:13AM   
krislamb
Go with a white and black rectangle tile that you can buy at Home Depot or another building supply store. They come in 1' squares and are very easy to install as well as clean.
February 1, 2013 at 10:16AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with Deborah--beveled subway tiles add a little bit of extra dimension and interest. Your undercabinet lighting will also play off the bevels beautifully and give some sparkle. An off-white color that matches your cabinets would look nice, or, if you want to add a little bit of subtle color, pick a light gray or tan tone from your granite.

Also, I would definately tile up behind your hood to the ceiling. It is such an elegant, sophisticated look.
February 1, 2013 at 10:16AM   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I would o with a tone on tone look with a textured material that relates well to your countertop. Something like the split face marble I used in this kitchen would look great in your home. You can see the idea on my website: http://judithtaylordesigns.com/projects/balsam-ave-kitchen/
February 1, 2013 at 10:30AM   
PRO
All Architectural Stone
I love this look:
February 1, 2013 at 10:35AM     
PRO
Cabinets 4U, Inc.
With all this white painted cabinetry, I would opt for a warmer, more natural look than subway tile. Marble tile is a timeless, classic alternative . You can choose cooler grays or warmer creams, in tumbled or polished finishes.
February 1, 2013 at 11:38AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Robert!
One option would be to use a different tile behind the range than the rest of the backsplash. We have this gorgeous metallic foil tile in a silver with soft brown accents that would look fabulous behind the range, and bring together the warmth of the floors and the metallic accents of the appliances and the hardware. Then for the rest of the backsplash you could do a single color tile, like a light gray. Below are images of the tiles from our site I mentioned. Hope this helps as some inspiration for you!
February 1, 2013 at 12:23PM     
PRO
Kitchen & Bath Concepts
Good Afternoon Robert,
We must agree with some of the other responses, but first things first, your kitchen looks beautiful! Our immediate thought after seeing the kitchen was White Beveled Subway Tile. It would keep the clean, crisp look throughout the space. Another option would be using a Glass Bar Tile with either a soft grey or a mixture of soft grey and white.

We suggest incorporating a color through non-permanent objects rather than in the backsplash because they are easier to change.

See picture of beveled white subway tile below. There is also a picture of a kitchen we did- we used beveled marble subway tile, but it might help you visualize with an entire kitchen.

Hope this helps in your decision making process!

Kitchen & Bath Concepts
February 1, 2013 at 2:19PM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I think it will be a nice Idea to have Stainless Steel something looks like this on http://www.susanjablon.com/8mm-1-inch-round-stainless-steel-tile.html
February 5, 2013 at 6:19AM   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
The black glass backsplash would give you the sharp clean look your going for!! Good Luck.. "Digital Imaging by Tina".
February 5, 2013 at 6:34AM   
handymam
I also like the idea of the white subway tile because it is so versatile. You can use pops of color in temporary ways and change your accessories by season or whim. Tina, i love the black tile! But somepeople might find it too dark. If they were ever going to sell their house, some people would object to it. .
February 5, 2013 at 6:40AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the idea of subway tile! Classic tile to match your gorgeous kitchen!
February 5, 2013 at 6:57AM   
tietz05
Beautiful kitchen! Try something different. Check out the variety from Walkerzanger.com. The site isn't the easiest to navigate, but if you get that far, I particularly like the Ashbury mosaic on page 29. I'm sure you could find a Walker Zanger dealer in your area. Looking forward to a post of the finished project. Good Luck!
February 5, 2013 at 7:13AM   
arr1974
Glass subway tiles with a slight color, either beige or grey. Try them vertical vs. horizontal. Beautiful kitchen!
February 5, 2013 at 7:25AM   
PRO
Real Life Builders, LLC
Beautiful kitchen! I have recently found a wonderful subway tile at Home Depot - white, clear and stainless 1"x 2" on a 12" square sheet. It would be awesome in your kitchen....I'm a builder and designer and install back splashes all the time. See attached photos...it looks better in person.
February 5, 2013 at 7:25AM   
arr1974
Can you tell me what your flooring is? Laminate or tile? Color and style? I love it!
February 5, 2013 at 7:26AM   
Aggie Purvinska
February 5, 2013 at 7:32AM     
DiAnna Sara
WOW!!!! Great looking kitchen... I love the idea of the white cabinets, with the black island.. Fantastic!! I would recommend a subway way style backsplash using tumbled stone to add texture... I would also add some black accents.. Just random placement... I would really focus on using the black accent around the stove area... Again... Beautiful Kitchen... Just need to add a little color and texture.
February 5, 2013 at 7:43AM   
kobley
Nice job! Do tile up behind the hood.
February 5, 2013 at 9:13AM     
pitbulls
beautiful kitchen!!I like glass tiles. I'd stay neutral and use accessories for color
February 5, 2013 at 9:17AM   
Debbie M
Looks great!
February 6, 2013 at 8:33PM   
More Discussions
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
READY TO BUY FURNITURE WHICH 1?
HAVE MED BROWN CARPET/SW ANTIQUE WALL/WOVEN SHADES...
Need Help on window coverings!
I have to say I hate window coverings to begin with...
Bathroom up do
Moving on to the next room. I need a paint color for...
Need help in lake house living room
Please see picture of living room, all furniture will...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.