Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Design Dilemma
Professionals
Users

Looking for backsplash suggestions

Robert SeeleyFebruary 1, 2013
Recently completed a kitchen reno and we are having difficulty deciding on the right solution for the backsplash. The granite counter top is Bianco Romano.

Want something that is easy to clean and subtle. Looking at extending backsplash to ceiling behind vent hood.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leanne Morris
I think white subway tiles would look clean, classic and fabulous!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:32AM
tmaxs
Kitchen turned out really nice, but needs a little color to accent. Consider tiles or glass tiles for backsplash.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:32AM
0825sam
Maybe a glass subway tile in a tone picked up from your counter. 4x12 might be a little more exciting than 3x6.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:47AM
chinch
can you tell me about the pendants they are beautiful!
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:51AM
Robert Seeley
Home Depot, Approx $50
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:54AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would go with a classic beveled edge subway tile in a slight off-white. Standard white grout.
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
StoneImpressions
Beautiful Space! Take a look at some of our kitchen backsplash ideas. We hand print patterns, murals, and decoratives onto natural stone. Our tiles are sealed at our factory with an industrial sealer that works great in kitchens and easy to clean.

We have a beautiful White Carrara that would compliment your counter tops!

Please see some of our past kitchen backsplashes at this link: http://www.stoneimpressions.com/kitchen-backsplash-design-ideas/
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:13AM
krislamb
Go with a white and black rectangle tile that you can buy at Home Depot or another building supply store. They come in 1' squares and are very easy to install as well as clean.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:16AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with Deborah--beveled subway tiles add a little bit of extra dimension and interest. Your undercabinet lighting will also play off the bevels beautifully and give some sparkle. An off-white color that matches your cabinets would look nice, or, if you want to add a little bit of subtle color, pick a light gray or tan tone from your granite.

Also, I would definately tile up behind your hood to the ceiling. It is such an elegant, sophisticated look.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:16AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I would o with a tone on tone look with a textured material that relates well to your countertop. Something like the split face marble I used in this kitchen would look great in your home. You can see the idea on my website:
http://judithtaylordesigns.com/projects/balsam-ave-kitchen/
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:30AM
PRO
All Architectural Stone
I love this look:
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:35AM
PRO
Cabinets 4U, Inc.
With all this white painted cabinetry, I would opt for a warmer, more natural look than subway tile. Marble tile is a timeless, classic alternative . You can choose cooler grays or warmer creams, in tumbled or polished finishes.
    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:38AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Robert!
One option would be to use a different tile behind the range than the rest of the backsplash. We have this gorgeous metallic foil tile in a silver with soft brown accents that would look fabulous behind the range, and bring together the warmth of the floors and the metallic accents of the appliances and the hardware. Then for the rest of the backsplash you could do a single color tile, like a light gray. Below are images of the tiles from our site I mentioned. Hope this helps as some inspiration for you!
1 Like    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 12:23PM
PRO
Kitchen & Bath Concepts
Good Afternoon Robert,
We must agree with some of the other responses, but first things first, your kitchen looks beautiful! Our immediate thought after seeing the kitchen was White Beveled Subway Tile. It would keep the clean, crisp look throughout the space. Another option would be using a Glass Bar Tile with either a soft grey or a mixture of soft grey and white.

We suggest incorporating a color through non-permanent objects rather than in the backsplash because they are easier to change.

See picture of beveled white subway tile below. There is also a picture of a kitchen we did- we used beveled marble subway tile, but it might help you visualize with an entire kitchen.

Hope this helps in your decision making process!

Kitchen & Bath Concepts
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I think it will be a nice Idea to have Stainless Steel something looks like this on http://www.susanjablon.com/8mm-1-inch-round-stainless-steel-tile.html
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:19AM
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
The black glass backsplash would give you the sharp clean look your going for!! Good Luck.. "Digital Imaging by Tina".
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:34AM
handymam
I also like the idea of the white subway tile because it is so versatile. You can use pops of color in temporary ways and change your accessories by season or whim. Tina, i love the black tile! But somepeople might find it too dark. If they were ever going to sell their house, some people would object to it. .
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:40AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the idea of subway tile! Classic tile to match your gorgeous kitchen!
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:57AM
tietz05
Beautiful kitchen! Try something different. Check out the variety from Walkerzanger.com. The site isn't the easiest to navigate, but if you get that far, I particularly like the Ashbury mosaic on page 29. I'm sure you could find a Walker Zanger dealer in your area. Looking forward to a post of the finished project. Good Luck!
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:13AM
arr1974
Glass subway tiles with a slight color, either beige or grey. Try them vertical vs. horizontal. Beautiful kitchen!
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Real Life Builders, LLC
Beautiful kitchen! I have recently found a wonderful subway tile at Home Depot - white, clear and stainless 1"x 2" on a 12" square sheet. It would be awesome in your kitchen....I'm a builder and designer and install back splashes all the time. See attached photos...it looks better in person.
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:25AM
arr1974
Can you tell me what your flooring is? Laminate or tile? Color and style? I love it!
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:26AM
Aggie Purvinska
Very pretty,

Here are some picks I would consider...

[houzz=
ANN SACKS Stone · More Info
---]

[houzz=
Tempo Bamboo Mosaic · More Info
]

[houzz=
Fretwork Pattern Decorative Field · More Info
-]
3 Likes    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:32AM
DiAnna Sara
WOW!!!! Great looking kitchen... I love the idea of the white cabinets, with the black island.. Fantastic!! I would recommend a subway way style backsplash using tumbled stone to add texture... I would also add some black accents.. Just random placement... I would really focus on using the black accent around the stove area... Again... Beautiful Kitchen... Just need to add a little color and texture.
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:43AM
kobley
Nice job! Do tile up behind the hood.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:13AM
pitbulls
beautiful kitchen!!I like glass tiles. I'd stay neutral and use accessories for color
    Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:17AM
Debbie M
Looks great!
    Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:33PM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
If I can be of any help to you please let me know how! Susan
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 7:41AM
rocketjcat
Post from 2013.
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 10:28AM
Emily Baker
I recently did a lower-budget kitchen remodel (about a year ago), and used white subway tiles. Not only was it easy to install, but it is easy to clean and still looks fabulous.

I've seen lots of variations of the subway tile too, including colored glass versions, doing a herringbone pattern for more personality, etc.

You can see before and after pictures of my kitchen on my blog, The {DIY} Domicile, at:

http://www.diydomicile.com

Good luck with your gorgeous kitchen!
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 10:38AM
PRO
Designer's Choice Interiors
Walker Zanger - Art Deco Inspired collection - use individual tile designs alone or collagen. Super cool and updated in subdued grey and white porcelain! Incredibly daring, yet classy in black & white.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:03AM
PRO
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:04AM
PRO
Here's an original inspiration to this look - just love it!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:04AM
PRO
Collagen? Autocorrect - collage! Porcelain is ideal for kitchen backsplash, too! Good luck with your project - it's looking simply gorgeous. Best wishes, Tracey
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:06AM
PRO
Deco De' antan collection
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:09AM
psmljj
Love the kitchen!!! It looks great as is, so something simple would finish it off perfectly. My vote is for glass tile in a color that compliments the granite or maybe even stainless steel tiles.
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 11:27AM
PRO
Boyce Lumber & Design Center
Oh backsplash tiles are some of my favorite things! I usually do opt for things that don't involve a lot of grout for easier cleaning - back-painted glass is a great option - the companies that do this usually can match just about any color and to clean is a breeze. There are countless tile options, you're really only limited by imagination and how much you're willing to spend. We see countertop materials running straight up to the cabinetry sometimes, too, it just depends on the look you're trying to achieve.
Good luck!
    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 12:07PM
PRO
Robert Sidenberg Inc.
What a lovely kitchen, well done! All of your finishes are very neutral and not busy at all, so you could get away with a more graphic backsplash tile if you decide to go that route. Otherwise a classic white subway tile is a timeless option that will look great for many years to come. Good Luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 12:47PM
PRO
If the bolder options are too scary, combine the two tile ideas! Run the cleaner look of subway tile under the cabinets and create a vertical channel of bold graphic tile - Run it the width available above the range and between the cabinets, to the ceiling.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 2:26PM
Karen Dumont
Your kitchen is stunning! Really love your pendants. I think you should keep your backsplash simple in terms of the color. You can always incorporate pops of color through accents and flowers in a kitchen. There are so many styles in the carrara marble to choose from-mosaics, subways, etc. Hope these pictures help. Good luck completing this beautiful kitchen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 2:44PM
heyfever

Beautiful kitchen. Try Carrerra marble. I think it will look fabulous!

Bookmark   February 24, 2015 at 7:51AM