Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint color ideas
A D
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi can anyone suggest paint color ideas for the walls and trim?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Oh my! For my taste I would simplify. There is a lot going on with everything competing for attention. If you like the wall colour I would suggest a much softer colour for the trim so there isn't so much contrast - especially for the ceiling (coffered area) as well as the door trims. Pick a trim colour that is simllar to the walls but quite a bit lighter - but not bright white! The look will be much calmer and more tasteful.
February 1, 2013 at 10:34am     
A D
Thank you for your suggestions! Even i don't like the present colors at all and was looking at changing the entire color scheme. I like the Shaker Beige by BM but am not sure it will go with the yellow beige on the floors. But you're absolutely right about the jarring white!
February 1, 2013 at 11:21am   
PRO
Good Manors, Inc.
Are you planning to change your flooring?
February 1, 2013 at 11:26am   
Ramona
a close up of the flooring would help. generally, i like pure white woodwork but it doesn't work here with the wall color. what is your design style and what are your favorite colors? Do you want a neutral room or one that pops?
February 1, 2013 at 11:41am   
judianna20
Although there is a pool table in the middle of this room, I think you will see my suggestion. I would let the floor be the standout and paint everything in the room one color, maybe BM Linen White, with matte on the walls and a semi-gloss on the woodwork.

February 1, 2013 at 11:46am     
A D
I would like to change the floors but i think that would be an expensive project. Also, I like neutral colors in the beige family.
February 1, 2013 at 11:53am   
Ramona
Match the light color in the floor and put it on your walls. The woodwork might then work. You can decide after the walls are done.
February 1, 2013 at 11:59am   
ldfield
Paint the walls a nice warm, neutral color lighter than what you have currently. At the very least, paint the insets in the coffered ceiling the same as the trim so the floor and ceiling don't complete for the eye's attention. You need a place for the eye to rest in this room as it currently is very stimulating. Perhaps a large rug, again of a neutral color would ground your furniture arrangement and turn the floor tiles into more of an accent rather than a focal point. Painting the trim throughout the house would be quite expensive or labor intensive.
February 1, 2013 at 12:05pm   
PRO
Chris Saper Portraits & Fine Art
Personally I love the color and the trim - I think that painting the whole ceiling in the white would reduce the feeling of "busy" space. I love the floor, too. I do think the room calls for white/light/neutral upholstered pieces, leaving any color /pattern as small accents.
February 1, 2013 at 12:07pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.