Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Old kitchen lighting.
lisatking
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
HELP! I am moving in in a couple of months and plan to paint the cabinets antique beige, but I am stumped on this lighting. What is it called and how can I update it? Love to hear your ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Might be recessed florescent, but cannot be certain. Is the power on so you can illuminate us?
February 1, 2013 at 1:54PM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
It looks like your ceiling has been lowered to a 7' height except for the tray area around the fan. Would you consider removing this lowered ceiling entirely? This may have been done to enclose some ducts or pipes, etc. but I recommend dealing with those in another way even if it means creating a coffered grid ceiling effect as long as you can regain height. Then you can apply molding to the top of your cabinets in addition to installing the lights while creating a more spacious living environment.
February 1, 2013 at 2:07PM     
lisatking
Lol. The lights are on! The kitchen is dark. That's why I'm painting the cabs lighter. Also the house was built with the ceiling low. The current owners/ sellers did this to lighten it up. There is fluorescent lighting inside with a fan hanging from it.
February 1, 2013 at 8:30PM   
lisatking
Oh. Sorry. It looks like your right. The lights are off but it does illuminate
February 1, 2013 at 8:34PM   
sjkingston
Friends with a situation like this removed the current fixture, walls, ceiling and trim within the box and reframed the sides and ceiling within with new sheetrock, and then trimmed it along the edges and up inside with molding. They installed a current light fixture within the box and some small pot lights. It looked terrific. Basically strip away the old and rebuild to current trim standards.
February 1, 2013 at 8:51PM   
lisatking
I should own the house by next month. My budget is low as the house needs a new roof. Here is my inspiration. See pic. I plan on painting the cabs an antique quilters white from rustoleums cabinet transformations. Love the raising the ceiling idea. Any ideas on what that costs if possible. Thank fo your suggestions.
April 14, 2013 at 9:17AM