powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room. I have no idea what color rug to start off with. Please help me...
Lynda Meyers
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The second picture shows the floors and the exact shading of my walls.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ramona
You have a wonderful ceiling and nice size room. Rearrange your furniture so that the fireplace becomes the focal point it deserves. Take the chairs out of the corners. Until then we can't even tell what size rug or what style because we really can't see much of anything. Can you move the tv unit closer to the window so that the focal point of the room becomes the fireplace/window/tv?
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 2:11PM
Lynda Meyers
I have more pics. Focusing on my living room first, I need help everywhere haha. So if you see the hooplah in the background, lol.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 2:50PM
Lynda Meyers
I just started on my kitchen and did granite. This is a view from the kitchen bar. Before and after photos. Also, where would I move the t.v.?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 2:58PM
Ramona
Ah, that is better. Move your tv unit to the right as close as it can go to the window without looking squished into the corner. Ditch that chair without legs. Move the other two chairs on either side of the fireplace. Put the sofa in front of the fireplace. Can now watch the tv lying down on the sofa or from the right chair. Would that work for your family? Now you have a cozy seating area and a traffic pattern around the outside of the sofa. Since everything is neutral you can pick a rug with almost any color and pattern you like and pick up the colors in the rug on pillows and artwork. Your style looks transitional.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:10PM
anitajoyce
The lovely fireplace is lovely and looks lonely. It should be the main focus of the room. Move one sofa so that it faces the fireplace. Add a nice rug to help warm the space. The tv wall unit is overpowering the space! Would you consider removing it. It competes too much with the fireplace. Lamps for the side table would be nice also. The room needs a coffe table in front of the sofa also.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:17PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Great comments so far. I would have to second that sofa should be across from fireplace. Put tv where mentioned closer to window. Chairs should be pulled in closer to soda or flanking fireplace. Does anyone sit in that lonely chair by the window?
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:24PM
Ramona
I am suddenly loving ikat as it is everywhere. This wonderful rug sold out almost as soon as it was offered. Do you like this?

[houzz=Deren Ikat Hand-Knotted Rug | Pottery Barn]

and below it is one that seems to be available.

[houzz=New York - Ikat | Carpet | Rug Catalog IK104D -]
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 4:44PM
Lynda Meyers
Thank you everyone. The chair without the legs is my massage chair..lol. The problem with moving the tv above the fireplace is the cable. If I move the tv closer to the window, do I remove the entertainment center? What about the space ; what should I do with the wall?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:03PM
Lynda Meyers
I do love the rug!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:04PM
Ramona
No don't put tv above the fireplace, move the whole unit it is in towards the window. You can have the entertainment center as it is configured. Once the furniture is in a better arrangement, we can figure out the wall. That won't be a problem. Glad you like the rug. You need color and pattern in this room.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:16PM
Lynda Meyers
Where can I find the rug? I'm on a tight budget....is it reasonable?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:25PM
Ramona
I think it might not be 'reasonable' as the web page has no price which usually means high priced.

The Pottery Barn one wasn't out of reach although I can't see the price as it is no longer available. I remember looking at it in the catalog and considering it, but I have already chosen a neutral rug.

Even if it is out of range, given that ikat is in style, you are going to find lots of cheaper versions.

I'd watch Pottery Barn to see if they bring something like the first one back. There are plenty of more neutral Ikats out there at a very good price. I almost chose one to post here, but you need color, not just pattern.

Do a google search on 'ikat rug' and see what you like.
http://www.farugs.com/index.php?option=com_rugs&Itemid=44&task=rug&mod=rug&rid=5081740

[houzz=Zonia Ikat Dhurrie Rug | Pottery Barn]

If you click on pictures that have been added to the houzz collection, it will usually lead you to the original site in a couple of clicks.

The last one is 8x10 for less than a thousand.
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-faded-antique-ikat/light-blue/200MJSM02A-508.html?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=feed

[houzz=nuLOOM Sophist-Ikat Blanca Ikat Violet Rug | Wayfair]
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 8:45AM
sjkingston
Your gold wall color is fighting with the pinks, greys and beiges in the dominant floor pattern. Was going to suggest repainting walls a warm beige until I saw the new granite which appears gold. Though if there is a strong beige in the granite that might work. The least expensive way is to neutralize the floor with a sisal type rung or rungs so only a bit of the border shows. See Maria Killam's post on this at link below. http://www.mariakillam.com/2013/01/are-natural-fiber-rugs-neutral.html
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:13AM
sjkingston
Oh and consider repainting the side walls up in the tray ceiling the white ceiling color, the gold up there accents and calls attention creating a pattern that also fights with the floor. Mirror looks a bit large for over the fireplace.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:16AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
have you considered the arrangement of the room....I would start with that and move to the rug....there is so little interest in the space at this point you have no real confines, so check out rugs you like with the colors that are in the space, rust/gray/brown/yellos
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:19AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
jsut make certain that the rug is large so may people use rugs that are too small
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:20AM
Lynda Meyers
I will move the furniture, and throw in an old rug. I have to wait on the tv, waiting for my husband to get home. I will be back with pictures. Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:43AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
looking forward to your post
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:45AM
little01jk
a shag off white rug or an oriental rug with yellow tones to it to match your wall color.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:58AM
Ramona
I totally agree about the tile floor which I was unfortunately ignoring. I am not a fan of granite for a lot of reasons, one of which is that it dictates color choices. I'm very sorry that I didn't look at those pics of the flooring.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 11:02AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Homedecorators.com has a lot of rugs and they are quite reasonably priced. Some of them are even wool. I have used them before and they have worn well. The clients still have them after 7 years.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 11:03AM
Jayme H.
I love rugs
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 11:32AM
Lynda Meyers
Ramona...I have moved the furniture !! It actually feels more inviting. Thank you and thank you everyone ! I have ordered an oriental rug.. :-) with yellow. Now I just need to move the t.v. If I rid of the entertainment center what should go under the t.v.?
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 4:51PM
Lynda Meyers
I will also go shopping for pillows tomorrow. I can't believe the difference and feeling of the room since moving the furniture. We are actually all sitting in the room now...lol! THANK YOU
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:52PM
Lynda Meyers
My floor, better shot
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:11AM
Ramona
No reason to get rid of your entertainment center. It might actually help. Great that you tried these simple fixes and are already feeling better. I plan to upload my current problem/s as soon as I have the time and energy.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Window To Nowhere - Ideas?
Here is your design challenge. I am starting a rehab...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
question for interior deluxe
website is not clear on pricing. may i please talk...
Flooring
Trying to decide what type of flooring to use throughout...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.