powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Thinking of extending home to make bathroom usable. Is it worth it?
RDV
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there, We just bought a fixer-upper in san mateo. It has 2 bathrooms. Both are very small (4'wide x 8' length) and also needs complete remodeling. My contractor says it will cost me 10-15k to remodel it. But my feeling is that if we increase the size of the home itself, say add 8' (see pic attached), it might make more sense. It will help increase both bathrooms sizes a bit and will help increase master-bedroom's size as well. But that would cost 60K! Do you think I will get my money back in the future if I go ahead with it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RDV
anyone?
February 1, 2013 at 3:46PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Extending the house would provide a good return. Be careful of creating a "tunnel effect" in the entry with the way you have drawn it.

I would place the Master Bedroom at the back of the house if possible. Also the kitchen looks a bit small and awkward in the plan.
February 1, 2013 at 3:50PM     
astraea
Is your drawing to scale? The rooms look rather long & narrow, especially the MBR.
February 1, 2013 at 3:53PM     
Lizabeth
Ok your addition is costing about $375 per sq foot. Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. I would like to see some of your dollars go to correcting a tiny kitchen. You may end up with an out of scale master compared to scale of the rent of the house.

What is the house worth today as it stands? How much value do you think this would add.? Ask a local Realtor or two what they think.. Sometimes starter homes should stay starters and not attempt to be more. When the market comes back it starts at the bottom with first time buyers.

I doubt you will get money back unless you can do the work yourself skillfully.. Your contractor and your lender will make money on you.
February 1, 2013 at 4:03PM     
RDV
@astraea - I think the rooms are not properly scaled. I just drew them as I remember. I dont think they are that narrow as I depicted in the picture.
February 1, 2013 at 4:51PM   
RDV
@DytectureThanks! The "tunnel effect" & master bedroom in the front is definitely my worry as well. But the home is built kind of in the back of the lot.. so there is a lot of space in the front rather than in the backyard.
February 1, 2013 at 4:57PM     
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Dytecture is correct., bring in the left side about 6'
February 1, 2013 at 5:03PM     
RDV
You mean move the main door 6' to the front?
February 1, 2013 at 5:11PM   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
If the sketch is near scale I would move hallway that accesses the bedrooms back to the wall that separates master and upper right bedroom, and use the space to enlarge both bathrooms, hope this makes sense, you lose alot of space with floorplan as is in the two other bedrooms that could be used for baths without making addition to home. In essence you give up some s.f. in bedrooms to gain in bathrooms.
February 1, 2013 at 6:50PM     
RDV
Thanks @TwistedMindsCustomsDesign very interesting idea. I hadn't thought about it.
February 1, 2013 at 6:59PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
Checking with a realtor is a top notch idea. If the other homes in the neighborhood are much less expensive than what you propose for your own home, you will have a harder time getting your money back even if the adjustments you make are sound.
February 1, 2013 at 7:13PM     
RDV
Here is what I am thinking the updated one would look ..
February 1, 2013 at 8:36PM     
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Very close to what I was proposing, glad my thoughts conveyed through to you.
February 1, 2013 at 8:43PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
i think I would knock out a 4'x4' square at the corner of the proposed bathroom addition to keep the entry way from taking on a tunnel effect......creating a step back to the front. Would give some possibilities for some interesting design to the front exterior and the bathroom could would have an interesting shape as well......just my 2 cents...... of which I can gladly make change.
February 1, 2013 at 8:52PM     
RDV
Thomas.. that's a good idea. My feeling is 4x4 will take away some space from bathrooms. My current thinking to move the front-door upfront to remove funnel effect a bit. So wont be tunnel effect on the outside although there will still be passage inside the home.
February 1, 2013 at 9:03PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Tunnel effects are bad.....whether they are outside or inside. I think I would be more inclined to step back the entry and maybe steal some space from the closet area....you could make up for this by bumping the closet out some.
February 1, 2013 at 9:26PM     
RDV
Thanks for the response. I will take that into account & see how I can fix that... may be like you said.. steal some space from closet.
February 1, 2013 at 9:30PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
Still need closets in bedrooms.
February 2, 2013 at 12:26AM     
nononanna
Dont forget that you're in San Mateo, and that there are hundreds of houses like this - you want yours to be nice, but not $75K nicer than any other. I guess you could say that you plan to live in it for 30 years so you're not worried about resale, but in general you want to be the cheapest house in the nice neighborhood, not the nicest house in the neighborhood.

That said, everyone south of SF is trying to find a way to make these darling little houses equally darling but somehow bigger...

Can you tell I miss northern California?
February 2, 2013 at 1:17AM     
PRO
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
In response to RDV. No, the main door needs to stay put. Don't bring the left side of the addition so close to the entry.
February 2, 2013 at 5:23AM   
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- Attached is a floorplan. Relocate the door into the garage to the side and free up space in kitchen area. You could place a weather awning over the front door so that you remain dry at least getting from the car to your house.
My plan is not perfect but have made the bedrooms smaller and squeezed in 2 bathrooms but requires no adding on to your house as such.
Spend your money on bathrooms, perhaps a new kitchen and opening up the house to say a BBQ area accessible via new bi-fold glass doors.
Hope this is helpful.
February 2, 2013 at 5:32AM     
PRO
Artisan Builders & Consultants
Looking for a quick turn-around, it doesn't make sense to add a lot unless you're doing the work yourself. But if the plan is to live there 5 years or more, the value is certainly there by improving the space and enjoying it in the meantime.
February 2, 2013 at 6:15AM     
RDV
@virtualDesigner - thanks for that floor plan. It's very interesting, we hadn't thought of moving garage door at all. I think it will help make the kitchen really contemporary.

@Artisanbuilders&Cultants - No. We plan to live here at least for 5-6 years. Our current apt's bathrooms are very large and so making us cringe to use a tiny bathroom :)
February 2, 2013 at 10:54AM   
RDV
@nononanna Exactly we dont want to over do it. This area is not premium location, but there are houses in the neighborhood that are 100-200k higher and 100-200k cheaper than our house. It is very hard to know if we are overspending it or not.
February 2, 2013 at 10:55AM   
PRO
Linda
Staying in the home is usually better financially than selling up and moving to another house. You mention planning to stay 5-6 years...is there a specific reason for that number like a planned move to another part of the country or returning to a previous location? Or, are you just thinking that would be a good time to move on to a bigger house or better location or better school district?Would a slightly grander scale renovation make this a house you could plan to stay in for 15-20 years? Improve the kitchen and living area also?

The reason I ask this is how much of your life do you actually spend in your bathrooms? I realize you don't like small bathrooms, but do you want to spend 60K to improve the space you spend perhaps 30-45 minutes per day in? Also, while you want to have a reasonably pleasant private time, I don't think you will want to spend much more time in those renovated rooms than you do now. It's not comparable to renovating a kitchen and then being able to enjoy cooking more because you have improved the look and functionality of the space. Or, inviting friends over to enjoy your new patio.
February 2, 2013 at 11:22AM     
RDV
@linda. After 5-6 years we want to move to a better home & a better school district. You definitely have a point w.r.t how much time are we going to spend in bathrooms. It's funny, we were discussing that exact same thing last night :) But the bathroom needs to be remodeled, so I was thinking why not make it decent size than a tiny on. Let me attach a pic of master bath room. That's the entire bathroom
February 2, 2013 at 11:33AM   
PRO
Linda
Let me guess, your house was built in the 50s/60s? Seems like master baths seemed to be considered a luxury feature of that timeframe, so just the existence of a master bath was sufficient to make a house desirable...anything larger would probably been considered a waste of valuable space for a smaller home. Of course, I'm not old enough to know that as a fact; its just my opinions based on my background research.

What's behind the shower wall? Is it just plumbing space or is that an extra bump out in an adjoining room? Maybe its a spot to tuck the end of the bathtub in from the other bath? If all else fails, a frameless clear glass shower door and better lighting will do wonders for making that space look better.
February 2, 2013 at 12:43PM   
RDV
@linda, yes, you are right! the house was built in 1958. Behind this bathroom is the home's main entrance alley. If you look into the floorplan above, this is the bathroom attached to the master bedroom. I am thinking of removing the left wall and adding space.
February 2, 2013 at 1:21PM   
More Discussions
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Curtain panel selection-
Which is a better fit for this place? The beige or...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
My Headache
I've been trying to figure out how to make the most...
Does tiled waincoat stay or go in transitional style bath?
counter top in black granite with several large crystal...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.