Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas
Igor Araujo
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
As you can see , this is my boring house, need color ideas, for stucco and Spanish roof tiles, we open to any sujestion,
Please help!!! Thank you so much
Igor & Eleni
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
aniluap2
I would stck with Mediterranean colors. If you really want bold color, you could do an ochre with a olive green trim which would complement the terracotta tile and I would consider building out a wood slat canopy over the garage with a vine growing over it to camouflage the indentation in the wall for the garage. It looks like you live in a warmer climate from the palm tree to the right. Maybe you could plant a lemon tree in font with some other maditerranean type plants.
February 1, 2013 at 3:09PM     
Igor Araujo
Thank you. I love the Ideias!!! I will share with my wife ( she is sicilian by the way) she will love.
I send you a pic after is done
February 1, 2013 at 3:14PM     
aniluap2
Look forward to seeing the end result whatever you decide on
February 1, 2013 at 9:40PM   
eleniaraujo
My wife didn't like too much the yellow tones, could a tan color with a brow trims, will be a good idea?
February 2, 2013 at 1:27AM   
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- Someone else advised you to grow a vine over the garage. Your house needs something and I'm not sure color is the main problem. I think you need a pergola and a few more things to add to the atmosphere. Hopefully I'll get back to you in a day or so again with my suggestions.
February 2, 2013 at 4:04AM     
aniluap2
Yes the pergola will add architectural interest. The tan color will work well and brown can certainly work, but a punch of color on the trim will add more interest. It's a personal choice and it comes down to what you feel comgortable with. If yo go the the paint store they have brochures showing complimentary colors. Take a look at the ones showing a tan color you like and it may give you some ideas. You may want to try a few color combinations on an outside wall, because light effects how color looks, and see what you think looks best together. The tan and brown is a safe choice and will definitely give the house more depth.
February 2, 2013 at 7:20AM     
2bsmaller
How about a coloured front door? You could compliment the window trim/woodwork too.
February 2, 2013 at 7:26AM     
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
I agree a more interesting paint color would improve the look of the house. Do you live in an area where there is a home owners association? Sometimes they have to approve the color of the house. Where do you live? I could suggest some plants to grow on the pillars and across the garage if I know your climate zone or location. You might want to make an entrance path from the street so that your guests do not have to walk up your driveway to get to the front door. Look up 'Entrance Gardens' on Houzz photos and you will find lots of ideas.
February 2, 2013 at 7:34AM     
Igor Araujo
Hi Pamela, would be great, I live in Concord, CA, I believe is zone 9
February 2, 2013 at 9:40AM   
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
I have done lots of designs in your area. Because you are in California the climate zones from 'Sunset Western Garden book" are much more accurate. I suggest you buy this book so that you can look up any plants that might be suggested for your garden. In the 'Sunset' climate zone you are zone 14. If you decide to have a vine climb up the posts you will need something for them to climb on but you could plant Star Jasmine(Trachelospermum), Pink Jasmine(Jasminum polyanthum), Chilean Jasmine (Mandevilla laxa) or a climbing rose like 'Eden Climber'. As I said before an entrance path from the street to the front door would be nice. If you wife is sicilian she might like a Mediterranean garden with citrus, olive, lavender, herbs and roses. Oranges and lemons grow best in your area. Limes are a little more frost sensitive. Mandarines can also be grown. Start an idea book on Houzz with garden pictures that you like and then you can start planing your new garden.
February 2, 2013 at 10:47AM     
mmilos
Paint your house a warmer light tan color to better tie in your Terra cotta roof tiles.
February 2, 2013 at 10:55AM     
little01jk
light tan color and paint the trim brown and the garage door brown. paint the color of the front door a nice maroon color
February 2, 2013 at 10:57AM   
hahnmama
I once lived near a stucco house that was painted olive green with cream trim. It had a wood canopy over the garage growing with large pinkish toned Clematis vines... Very earthy but stunning. I bet something like that would be very pretty.
February 2, 2013 at 11:08AM     
anitajoyce
How about a dark grey or charcoal grey
February 2, 2013 at 11:16AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Your house is very cool. I would stay in neutral tans with trim in a brownish-red to match the tile roof. I like the idea of the lower indented area to be darker. Use the upper as a highlight in a much lighter shade.
February 2, 2013 at 11:24AM   
Igor Araujo
love all the ideias so far, definaly a pergola uder the garage dor will be done, in the same color of the trim, also I am thinking do to a cast iron planter for clay pots, and I am having a hard time to find the one like the picture
Hose color I think will be the one bellow, can I go also with a dark color trim and a black or dark blue form door
February 2, 2013 at 12:09PM   
Igor Araujo
the color is similar to: Ivy Topiary from Behr
February 2, 2013 at 12:13PM   
aniluap2
A colored door would be terrific. Great guest ions above . Lots of choices. Good luck...looking forward to see what you decide.
February 2, 2013 at 2:23PM   
Dar Eckert

You may like the combination of stucco, stained horizontal siding and stone veneer. I think it could give the front facade an updated look. This look would start with stone veneer on the columns and the wall that the door is on. Then horizontal stained wood siding on the gable over the garage and the front door.
February 2, 2013 at 2:39PM   
Igor Araujo
Should a put stone veever on the colonus only, around garage door or back all next to the front door.
February 4, 2013 at 10:59AM   
mmilos
I personally wouldn't put a stone veneer on this house. I think it'll look like an afterthought...especially on this style home with your tile roof. Embrace the stucco...paint it a warmer color.
February 4, 2013 at 11:23AM     
bclowg
There are a lot of houses the same style as yours in my neighborhood. Many do have stone, but it looks very dated, probably because most use lava rock (oh the horror!) Just be careful if you do the stone, match the undertones of the stone to your terra cotta roof tiles. Too yellow and it will not look quite right. (see here! http://www.mariakillam.com/ )

Looking at the front composition of your house, from a graphic designer's perspective, the shapes are out of balance. The columns are not quite the same height, window in front is off center, roof line is thin (along the gutters) compared to the thickness of the columns. Now, you can't easily change the architecture, but if you were able to put in a facade or a beam on the front top left of the house (a triangle that would fill in above the window, spanning the columns). It seems that you need a strong horizontal element to tone down the verticals and diagonals of the architecture. With paint that would be a two-tone, darker on the bottom, lighter on the top (which I see someone already suggested).
February 4, 2013 at 12:00PM     
Igor Araujo
Thank you all for the great ideas and options: I know the lines of this house does not bring too much appeal. But would be very costly change the design of the front. I need to be creative
Paint: we decide to do a light brown or a tan color. Questions: should we do 2 tones on the stucco or just one? Dark brow, rich chocolate color for the trimming and Garage door ? Front door, dark Blue or Black, or should we do same color as the trims? If any one can suggest a color name and brand I would love to make some samples and test .
Also we going to custom make a planter for the top front window like the picture above, 3 or 4 large Terracotta vases and I will build a Pergola right above the garage door.
I also will building a walk path to the front door. Should I put down Terracotta tiles?
February 4, 2013 at 2:56PM