powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What the **** goes in these glass cabinets?!
rpl814
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So I really wanted these glass upper cabinets...now I have no idea what to put in them!! They are 12" high. Any suggestions welcome!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
If you are looking for something decorative, pottery or glassware is always a good choice for those high glass cabinets.
February 1, 2013 at 3:47pm     
tennisanyone
Something decorative. Nice kitchen but I see what you mean. My eye went straight to them.
February 1, 2013 at 3:47pm   
Darzy
Are they lighted? I'd put extra wine and champagne glasses that I don't use frequently. Or crystal bowls, etc.
February 1, 2013 at 3:52pm   
demour
I would put cooking books in both of them, would look nice
February 1, 2013 at 3:59pm   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
I believe those are bunkbeds for your cats.

Kidding -- what do you collect?

Staring at them, I'm thinking of old style transom windows with a reverse-glass painted number or sign. As much as I dislike the repeated to death, "Live, love laugh," might there be a more original set of words or images that would inspire you? Make it modern using silver and a cool font, perhaps. Then you get the lightness of the glass, but gain back some semi-hidden storage -- depending on the design.
February 1, 2013 at 4:00pm     
rpl814
There are lights in there. I just didn't have them on. What are transom windows?
February 1, 2013 at 4:04pm   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
How about some kitchen cabinet inserts?
February 1, 2013 at 4:05pm     
orangecamera
When you decided you wanted them, what did you imagine you'd use them for? (I'm asking this to maybe jog your memory). Since they're lighted, I'd use them to display colored glass. Keep the items toward the front, since you won't really be able to see anything pushed back.
February 1, 2013 at 4:11pm     
hmschoolmom
I would put large serving dishes or pottery--colored, white or silver --whatever your preference. Don't put glass or crystal--it won't be easily seen. I made that mistake. My crystal goblets and serving bowls "disappear" begin the glass. White looks lovely as does silver.
February 1, 2013 at 4:15pm     
hmschoolmom
I meant "behind" the glass. Stupid iPhone.
February 1, 2013 at 4:16pm   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Transom windows are usually narrow and placed over a door or another window. Think of NYC, Boston, London doorfronts where the address is goldleafed on the inside of the glass just over the door...
February 1, 2013 at 4:21pm   
PRO
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
The best thing to do is change the glass to something textural so you cant see through it. The space is too small and if you put one item in each cabinet I think you would get tired of it. Here is a really cool glass that has texture and interest.
February 1, 2013 at 4:36pm     
PRO
another glass smaller..and don't put anything in them
February 1, 2013 at 4:38pm   
rpl814
Thanks, I could also spray that stuff that makes it look frosted... I'm going to do that on my sidelights, so I can see if I like it. I just put a few things in there and they all look weird. The height is a problem for tall things and short things look silly.
February 1, 2013 at 4:53pm   
orangecamera
If you're not putting anything in the cabinets, you can tape bubble wrap inside the glass. From a distance, nobody will know what it is, I think it will look like the expensive textured glass. Use the stuff with the big bubbles.
February 1, 2013 at 4:58pm     
Darzy
Very creative idea orangecamera!
February 1, 2013 at 5:02pm   
rpl814
I have some in my garage from the move. I can't picture that really working, but I'll take a look :-). It would be funny if decorated my new fancy kitchen cabinets with bubble wrap.
February 1, 2013 at 5:03pm   
orangecamera
Hi Darzy :) Thanks.
February 1, 2013 at 5:04pm     
orangecamera
rpl814, you don't have to tell anyone it's bubble wrap. Tell them it's a "special glass treatment".
February 1, 2013 at 5:13pm   
tennisanyone
Let us know if the bubble wrap works but if you turn the lights on and they are halagen lights inside the cabinets, will it melt the plastic and start a fire . Clever orangecamera.
February 1, 2013 at 5:13pm   
orangecamera
tennisanyone, thanks for pointing out about the fire hazard! Yikes!
February 1, 2013 at 5:15pm   
orangecamera
Here's a picture (not bubble wrap) for inspiration.
February 1, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Darzy
@hmschoolmom. You're right that the clear glass would "disappear" behind the glass, but that was kinda my intent. If colored glass/pottery type is too "busy" looking for RPl814, clear glass storage may work. I like Maria's pretty glass idea, rpl814 frosted glass to hide the stuff. The bubble wrap...gotta try it!
February 1, 2013 at 5:27pm   
kro9o
Colored crystal, for example margarita glasses with a green stem and blue flute. You can get them at places like Crate and Barrel, doesn't have to be a high ticket item.
February 1, 2013 at 5:35pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
How about looking at what others have done?
February 1, 2013 at 5:35pm   
rpl814
So I realized that a big problem was that I need to put everything on blocks or something to make them higher. Things were disappearing with the shaker door.
February 1, 2013 at 5:41pm   
abbshel
They are high, so I wouldn't put things in there that you might actually use like wine glasses, etc. unless its a special collection you never use. I like orangecamera's photo with the potted green plants and assorted white ware. I would do the fake plants and decorative pitchers, urns, colorful bowls, etc.
Maybe one or two pieces per cabinet.
Keep it simple!
February 1, 2013 at 5:45pm     
cwithd
Colored platters as a back drop and then layer with bowls, pottery or wine bottles. Even empty wine bottles with artsy labels, or from a special occasion. a bowl full of corks. Your family letter of last name in chrome, extra large 3D. Family treasures, like grandma's vase, grandpa's old sword, etc. the options are endless. Just be careful to not clutter to many things.
February 1, 2013 at 6:07pm     
Darzy
Since you have the "drop down" issue on the shelf. How about a "collection" of silver platters on easels? The easels will raise them up a bit. The silver will shine with the lights on them. (or colored platters, whatever your preference).

February 1, 2013 at 6:14pm     
PRO
NexTrend Design
Great idea Darzy... and many ideas from others above. One foot high is a great height for vases you only need occasionally, colorful teapots, plates/pictures on easels, color-coordinated cookbooks between bookends, stack of books with metallic or colored glass fruit ornament on top, metallic designerish cookie tins, vintage teacups & saucers stacked 2-3 high or on top of books, some greenery, etc. I agree, the possibilities are endless. Put in items that YOU love & delight YOUR senses that also relate to a food prep & dining space. That's what will make the space come alive for you and feel special.
February 1, 2013 at 7:26pm     
kimdee24
Great ideas here for sure. I got "surprise" glass doors on my new cabinets (they were spec'd by the builder and I didn't know until they were installed). It was a dilemma for me too finding NICE things to put behind those doors.
February 1, 2013 at 7:31pm   
donnag631
I literally just had the same cabinets installed this afternoon, and I love the glass cabinet on top! Don't know how I'll use them - lol. Your kitchen is beautiful.
February 1, 2013 at 7:38pm     
dessert
Chose an accent color for your kitchen ( blue, apple green, red etc) and fill each cabinet with one large piece in that color. Then add accessories in the same color on your counter top ( ex dish towels, bowl of fruit). Watch your kitchen shine! No bubble wrap needed!
February 1, 2013 at 7:50pm   
4resas
You can continue with the black and white theme. If you pick white items you will need to make the back of the cabinets black. I'm lazy so I would put a board in the back, not paint. Or you can use that area to introduce a pop of color
February 1, 2013 at 7:59pm     
rpl814
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas!
February 1, 2013 at 8:11pm   
PRO
I really like the all white in the cabs!
February 2, 2013 at 7:44am   
4resas
You can get clear canisters, and change the contents when you feel like it. Autumn leaves, christmas balls, dried flowers, interesting pastas, pebbles.
February 2, 2013 at 2:42pm   
mmilos
Since the kitchen is sleek and modern, mix it up a bit and add some decorative Navajo pottery.
February 2, 2013 at 2:47pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Either keeping with the monochromatic theme with some cool white or grey dishes or add some bold color.
February 2, 2013 at 2:59pm     
grinter
may sound dumb but what about putting wine in the top cupbords get some type of wine racks and fill them, good talking point
February 2, 2013 at 3:18pm     
rpl814
Here are some things I've been playing around with
February 2, 2013 at 3:23pm   
tennisanyone
Honestly, I am not a big fan of all the stuff in the cabinets. I think it takes away from your nice kitchen. I liked them with nothing in them. I think I would get doors on some of them. It looks like they are two separate doors. OR maybe try all white without so much contrast.
February 2, 2013 at 3:54pm   
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
What accent colour are you going to use ...... Once you decide find some glass bowls,or vases ,decorative dishes (Something you really like ) in the same colour.
February 2, 2013 at 5:26pm   
jkristamagee
Oh oh oh! So beautiful- to answer the question- ANYTHING YOU SO FREELY CHOOSE! you can make cat buck beds out of them if you want lol. That's my favorite thing about glass cabinets, nothing is in the way hiding your favorites that you want to be seen. Again- absolutely gorgeous!
February 2, 2013 at 8:25pm   
Darzy
I think the color dishes look too cutesy for your glamorous kitchen. :) I prefer the black/white, nice!
February 2, 2013 at 8:42pm     
hmschoolmom
I agree with Darzy about the colored glass unless there was one color that could be repeated. What are the color tiles in the backsplash? Are they all gray/black tones?
February 3, 2013 at 4:05pm   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
since the glass cabinets are a feature, treat them similarly all through the kitchen. A theme of items. Any accent colour or black as backdrop can be effective. Whatever is put up there, you have to love it. Heck, you could even do a rotating holiday theme if you desired! Any collections you might have. Whether it is fish, strawberries or sea shells. Given the perspective, as you've discovered, they need to be elevated. you may have to play a bit to get the right number of elements so not distracting, but still a little bit interesting as a highlight. And... if you are going to turn the lights on..........that will focus even more attention up there so better be the best, most beautiful, astounding object imaginable.
February 3, 2013 at 4:22pm   
sacapuntaslapioz
your turkey serving dish and champagne glasses.
February 3, 2013 at 4:37pm   
More Discussions
Need help in deciding whether to keep the light fixture
Does it make our 9ft ceilings shorter than they are?...
Kitchen Layout Disaster
Hi Houzzies! We have a modest 1500sq ft. home and...
Need ideas for kitchen backsplash - its not level!
The floor is not level in this old house which makes...
Contemplating a home renovation
Does anyone know of a home renovation website that...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.