Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New home - living room design help - accent color and curtains
Julie Dyer
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Building a new home and trying to design living room, attached sofa from room and board photo, floors will be dark hardwood, wall color SW Silverpointe, accent wall by fireplace SW Homberg Gray, lighter rug or darker rug, lighter curtain or darker curtain and accent color blue? possibly to cordinate with open concept dining room -- what color should chair be, haven't chose a chair yet.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julie Dyer
more photos of selection choices......
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:08PM
Julie Dyer
purchased dining room table and chairs, want to get kilim rug for under dining room table, not sure to go with the white curtain or the natural curtain in both living room dining room with these colors.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 6:14PM
amymarie1234
I like the white! But it depends if you want more of a contemporary or rustic style.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:11PM
Julie Dyer
We bought RH Barn Light in weathered zinc pictured below, base board trim will be 5 in. in SW Pure White. I'm not really contemporary person, would be more eclectic, rustic, farmhouse, cottage style LOL bit of a mix. I just want to be sure I'm heading in the right direction and I'm not making a mistake going with White curtains or the Light Wool Rug versus their darker versions. I do love a clean light feel and dont' want to get too dark. I'm leaning towards the white too!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:08AM
Julie Dyer
I also ordered 20 fabric samples in shades of gray, linen, charcoal for the couch. It's shown in Cement but I don't want it to clash with my wall colors. The cement looks to have a brown undertone, I'm not sure if that would throw everything off so ordered fabric samples. I might be better to go with a linen color on the couch versus the gray?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:11AM
amymarie1234
I think the rug keeps it more rustic so you could get away with white curtains. I think white would be a great contrast against those colors.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 3:53AM
Julie Dyer
Thank you for your comment. I was afraid the white might be too much of a contrast but just might be what it needs as you say. I'll go with the white :)
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:58AM
Julie Dyer
Couch color, accent color?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:31AM
amymarie1234
I think more of a muted blue color would look really as an accent. Some people accent with yellow when they use grays. I think you could go with any color really as long as you keep the color more understated and muted, not too bold or bright.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:47AM
amymarie1234
*look really good
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 8:47AM
Julie Dyer
thank you, was thinking possibly using Indigo
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:52AM
amymarie1234
Oooh that would look good! Post a picture to this page of you find some decor in that color. We just bought a gray couch and it has white piping around the edges. I never thought about using indigo.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:54AM
Julie Dyer
Will do, your couch sounds beautiful...... I have been seeing Indigo popping up a bit lately on design photos
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:02AM
Julie Dyer
pillow accent ideas
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 9:07AM
groveraxle
Julie, your choices all look good and seem to complement each other, but let me suggest you slow down a bit. The house isn't even built and you almost have it furnished already. Be aware that as soon as the furnishings get in the house, everything will change. The lighting will have a huge impact on your colors and shapes and there is no way to know what that will be till you get things in place.

There's a reason rugs are purchased on approval; you need to look at them in your space before you know if they'll work. Start with enough furniture to be comfortable and wait to finish until you get in the house.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:16AM
Julie Dyer
Thank you for your comment groveraxle :) We are about three weeks away from home being finished, four at the most. The couch can take 6 weeks for delivery and I just really wanted to make sure we have a furnished comfortable living room to relax in from the start since we are ordering all new furniture. Also, I do tend to get in a bit of a hurry lol Agreed, can wait on certain elements until after we are moved into our new home but really will have alot going on and wanted to get a good start of ideas and at least know I'm headed in the right direction and not a mish-mash of ideas. I'm by far no decorator and just trying to wing it !!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:25AM
rosemeyer
I love your couch choice! Who is the maker?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:48AM
rosemeyer
P.S. all your design choices look fantastic.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:48AM
Julie Dyer
Thank you! The couch is from Room and Board, called the Orson.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:53AM
Julie Dyer
some other inspriation
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:34PM
Julie Dyer
new house 1st floor plan, best funiture placement for above couch etc.??
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:39PM
Julie Dyer
plan on putting the back of couch to left of fireplace, wrapping towards door with a direct pathway open for entrance. placing braided rug (pictured above) in living room with rectangle coffee table in front of couch, putting TV in an entertainment center or hang on wall next to door and place a chair an accent chair on coner side of fireplace opposite couch, wall colors pictured above and can't decide if gray couch or a linen color couch would be best suited and if there are any other ideas for furniture placement. We took out the pantry so there is a cedar beam in that area now and the lower steps are open instead of enclosed as shown on the floor plan, was thinking of a book shelf there or picture gallery possibly. I do not want to put the TV over the fireplace, so that is making it difficult for me to figure out the design layout, any suggestions appreciated........
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:48PM
Julie Dyer
color of hardwood floors
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:08PM