Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is this acceptable?
falknerlpp
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just paid $4,200 for this vanity in finished natural maple. (It was more with the counter.) The cabinet has a dark knot that faces the entry door. When the cabinet door closes, you see less of it, however you still see the dark knot that is not present elsewhere in the vanity. Would this be acceptable to you?
Yes, this is acceptable
No, this should be replaced
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lkristine
No.
February 1, 2013 at 6:45pm   
PRO
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Wow, that's a lot of money. I guess, I will retrain to finish carpenter. ☺
In my opinion this could be easily avoided. So I voted for NO.
February 2, 2013 at 1:13am     
nononanna
It's pretty obvious, and it will drive you crazy. I finished building a house a few years ago and toward the end I wasn't as insistent as I should have been. At first you;re just glad to have the work finished, but as time goes by the problems like this begin to really irritate. Don't fall into the "just get it finished" trap like I did!
February 2, 2013 at 1:21am     
ters76
This is a natural wood, I personally think as a designer that all these things people complain about on a natural material only adds to the beauty of it. Now at least everyone can see its a solid wood and not a veneer. You have a very beautiful unit there.
February 2, 2013 at 1:44am     
charleee
No! It would be the only thing I would see and I should be seeing the beauty of the cabinet, not the knot.
February 2, 2013 at 2:50am     
Peggy Hill
I voted no,
Believe me it will be what you will look at everytime you go into you bathroom, I had our kitchen done for 25000 and the installer used two different tones of chalking around the tile.( he had run out of the first color) so now every time I go into my beatyiful kitchen all i see if the place where the chalking don't match. and it looks awful.
February 2, 2013 at 3:10am     
PRO
Dytecture
If it bothers you, then I also vote for changing that piece of wood.
February 2, 2013 at 6:19am     
Genevieve
Are you looking for perfection ? if yes then remove it ,but if you are looking for a natural process and a touch of character then I say keep it , me I like to keep it if this is to be kept only stained and not painted ,the stain would only enhance it showing the natural process of wood..
February 2, 2013 at 6:27am     
PRO
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi falknerlpp,

I'm presuming by the price this was a custom made cabinet. If so, then the cabinet maker has made a poor judgement call by incorporating that piece. However, if your cabinet is from a semi-custom line then hand selection of pieces isn't typically done.

While wood grain is natural and therefore varied and unique, etc, an experienced cabinet maker would select stock to give visual consistency, whether that be a certain amount of knots on other sections of the cabinet, (if the client likes them) or very few/very small knots if they don't.

Fwiw, this cabinet will most likely have to be rebuilt in order to replace that piece, I highly doubt that that piece alone can be replaced.

Steve
February 2, 2013 at 8:00am     
PRO
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
Its not a big deal to pop out the face frame and replace with a new one. This will of course involve taking the whole thing down.
February 2, 2013 at 8:11am   
charleee
I agree with Steve! (Again!). Why didn't he just turn that piece around, I wonder?
February 2, 2013 at 8:12am     
rozajac
I woted NO; it is not acceptable. It really is part of the natural wood rather than a defect but it stands out a lot and catches the eye. Think of it this way; mole above the lip might be cute but might bother some if it is on the forehead or on the tip of someone's nose which would be hard to avoid.
February 21, 2013 at 6:34am   
PRO
K&R Contractors, Inc
If we would have received this for our client, we would have told the supplier to send it to auction and try again.....NEVER is that acceptable when you are paying that much!!!!
February 21, 2013 at 6:38am     
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Ive blended more knots than i can count. A professional furniture repairer can blend the knot in less than an hour.
February 21, 2013 at 7:28am     
malachyte
It would drive me crazy everyday looking at that! I understand that knots are part of the natural beauty of wood but that's in bad place.
February 21, 2013 at 7:58am   
PRO
Doors4Home.com
For a quick fix, you might be able to apply a thin matching veneer to the piece. At the same time, part of the beauty of wood are the inconsistencies.
February 21, 2013 at 8:56am   
Jayme H.
Because it bothers you and it does "stick out", I would ask the finisher to fix it.
February 21, 2013 at 9:14am   
AMN
Part of being a good woodworker or cabinet maker is choosing the best pieces of wood for conspicuous portions of each piece you build. If you were looking for rustic knottiness, then this would have been on-point. Since the rest of the piece is quite clear, this is unacceptable.
February 21, 2013 at 9:16am   
PRO
lewis + smith
Removing the face frame is by no means an easy task and probably will not be done. I would agree the cabinet maker could have used better judgement. The cabinet may well have been made within the spec provided. While there is a knot, it does not appear to be failing, and can be considered to be a natural part of the wood. If the spec had called for clear and no knots from the architect or designer, that would be a different story. It is not cut and dry that this person has failed to do what they were asked to do. If I knew a client was this dissatisfied I would probably eat this one. In the end the budget was sufficient enought to cover better material selection and care regarding orientation. Hopefully there is a workable solution.
February 21, 2013 at 9:42am   
More Discussions
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Wall decoration decision, need help!
Hi there! I am trying to make my living room look fresh...
Exterior paint color and curb appeal?
Wow, we are new to this site and are feeling a bit...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.