Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color do I paint my walls???!!!!
jarjac
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Well you have seen my pics!! Help!! What color do I paint my walls to bring back a modern day look to a not so modern design choice I made 18 years ago.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
4resas
Pick an art piece or drapery fabric with your blue and other colors, and pick up on one of those colors
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:38PM
Tammy Sprinkle
I would bring home paint samples and try to match the bath tub blue. It is the largest visual item that is blue and paint that color on the walls. It will look crisp and clean. I would use all white towels to give it a spa like feeling in there.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 7:52PM
jarjac
Thanks, pics not the best. It is a dark green. With no art work and same color 2" faux wood blind. I want to strip the green ivy wallpaper that yes is on the ceiling to. :(
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:55PM
PRO
Supreme Floor Company
Agree with Tammy..
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
karenthesinger
I would change out the counter top as soon as possible. The clash there is getting in the way of a tasteful wall paint. No matter want you do with the walls, the elephant will still be in the middle of the room.
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:00PM
PRO
Supreme Floor Company
If that is laminate on the counter..Paint. They have it at Home improvement stores.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:03PM
Darzy
You need a new counter/sink/faucet. Have "miracle method" or some such company come and spray your tub white. Then, go from there. :) Hey 18 years ago, this was AWESOME! LOL
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:07PM
Tammy Sprinkle
Well, I would match the green of the tub then. Whatever the color is of the largest item in the room, would look nice on the walls. Good luck getting the wall paper down. That's no fun or easy feat.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:12PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Wow. It looks extremely blue on my screen. I was going to suggest a Blue Bahia granite around the tub surround and all the way up the wall areas just where the tub is. If it's green though, I would do the same thing but with a green granite. The rest of the walls I would paint with a complementary paint. Maybe a gray paint and a countertop in the same granite and around the tub.

Here are some greens and the website they came from: http://www.louismian.com/marble/mc_green.htm
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:14PM
jarjac
Tammy I'll get some swatches and see, it seems scary to add such a dark wall color, but that's why I'm here..... For you to help- Darzy yeah it was awesome then, you should see my other bathroom, remember wild plum? Lol, yes I am Italian
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:29PM
Denice Shuty
Go to Pinterest and type in the search terms, "peacock blue". You will get more ideas than you can shake a stick at. Here's a couple of images from that.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:33PM
jarjac
Karen yes I have a family of elephants.... Tub,toilet,2 sinks and countertop. Trying to figure out how to tame them
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:36PM
sjkingston
Obviously a lot depends on your budget and your personal style. Since the cabinet, tub and floor tile look to be in good condition, a low cost approach would be to remove the wall and ceiling wallpaper and prep the walls for paint. The dated checkerboard tub surround and the walls could be fitted over with either bead board or tongue-in-grove panelling trimmed off with molding and painted a white to match the tile to give a Hampton's look. That would update without a tear out and you could leave the tile on top of the surround in place. Then replace the counter and sink with a neutral color. Replacing just the top and sink is pretty inexpensive if it is a standard size (check Home Depot and Lowes for quick ship options). Once that's in place, you can paint the walls any new color that works with the rest of your decor. Since brass is back in, you have the option of keeping or swapping out your fixtures, but you might want to leave that decision until you get the new countertop and sink in place and see if its needed.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:37PM
jarjac
What was Kohler thinking?! More Than that though... What was I thinking
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:47PM
Denice Shuty
I agree the wallpaper has to go, ditto the checkerboard tile. I like sjkingston's idea for a beadboard or paneled surround. I'd keep the sink, though, but change the countertop to a luxury glass mosaic tile.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 8:49PM
jarjac
SJ thanks very creative
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:49PM
jarjac
Writerly, yup SJs ideas and your counter top sounds HOT! I guess I'm starting on the lower end of the remodel scale and looking for a paint color... If not doable then I guess the facelift must begin
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 8:57PM
Denice Shuty
If you are going to keep the white cabinet and white tile for the time being, you could go safe with a number of shades of gray, from a light silver to deep charcoal. You could also try a muted citron-to-light olive shade, or like the image of the bedroom, a very light , subdued shade of the teal. If you are handy you can paint or reface both the countertop and the tile, but only if you are really good at that sort of thing and have the patience and the right tools/supplies. Or do a cool, new wallpaper on both the walls and ceiling. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:14PM
sjkingston
I forgot to address the tub and sink (if you keep it) color. I'd still mask out the tub surround and wall tile with either bead board, tongue and groove or even board and batton. Since Emerald is the Pantone color of the year, your fixtures are practically back in. You could leave them green. Having them repainted professionally is an option but get references on the long term durability of the vendor's coating and tie needed to really cure. If you do paint white, the wall color options are wide open. If you re-embrace the green, then a neutral color pulled from your adjoining bedroom might be a great way to made the rooms work together. Pick up the green and neutral in a window covering of a current fabric. If you like ikats or suzanni's it might pull the green into the new millenium. (I kind of like it.)(
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 9:31PM
bubbyofbb
Been reading this please post pics when you are finished very interesting good luck
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Front Yard Landscape help
Hi there! We live in Middle TN, Nashville area, and...
Small North Facing London Garden in need of some TLC!!
Hello, I've reccently moved in to a house in London,...
New stone on fireplace
I feel like I have to soften room after putting this...
Building a home
Any tips for first time building. What would you have...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.