powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decoenthusiast and others: living room update!!
aahines
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Not sure if my pics ever came thru. I couldn't find them on houzz. Anyway we swapped sofa and chairs and tables as you requested Wednesday. I miss seeing the curvature of piano but I guess it does break up the length of the room and so many straight lines. Here are the pictures below. All suggestions welcome until we have a beautiful traditional living room with a lot of color and punch!!!! I'm getting very little response from decorators. We need your input. Please respond!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
I think the "new" room looks great. My only suggestion is to rotate the piano. The pianist should face the guests. The piano keys in the corner. Then, raise the piano to the "small" raised top of the grand size.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:36PM
thedarlingsbecca
I like the room.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:54PM
aahines
Darzy,
a complete rotation on the piano or what? i dont want to sit in the door way of the foyer but dont really want piano straight against wall either
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:00PM
Darzy
Not straight against the wall. I mean if you are standing the the foyer, you see the piano keys. The piano kinda "catty corner'. The beautiful curve of the piano and raised "lid" of the piano facing the guests. Basically, the pianist facing the guests, and the "music" flowing into the space. The piano "lid" can be raised a little, or full height. I mean just raise the lid the small height.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:49PM
aahines
Okay. I will consider this.
Thank you.
do you do interior design/decorating for a living or just a faithful follower of houzz, if you dont mind me asking?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:57PM
Darzy
I don't mind you asking. I'm an unpaid designer and pianist. : )
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:02PM
aahines
Cool!!
Do you have pics of your room with piano by chance?
Also, do you agree with others that built in floor to ceiling bookshelves on each side of door leading to dining room (behind sofa) would add a depth to the end of the room? They also recommended a large rug with our favorite color red in it. Is this acceptable over carpet? i would like to change flooring to hardwood/engineered floors when I can afford it. What is your opinion of the drapes. I like dressy but I understand what others are saying about too formal or needs some punch to them. What about a really small sofa table now behind the sofa??
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:11PM
Darzy
I know most people will say to lose the formality of the drapery but I think it works for you and this room. I do not agree with bookshelves in a formal space. I agree with an area rug..once you install the hardwood floors, but with you current carpet, I wouldn't do an area rug. Your room has a lovely "vintage formal" appeal to it so I think I'd go with that. The only thing I would suggest is to remove the tablecloth on the side table. The coffee table is a bit high, so it could be changed to a little bigger and lower height.

I don't have a photo of my baby grand in my living room handy to show you. I could upload a photo tomorrow, but my style is global ecclectic and may not give you a good reference.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:29PM
aahines
the table in front of the sofa is actually a type of tea table for serving tea. Everyone I have researched is this heighth. Maybe I will come across an antique style coffee table that would be better. I can see where bookshelves may take away some of the formality/dressiness of the room but we are big book readers so not sure about which direction to take here. However, I thank you for the comment that we have a lovely vintage appeal. We love antiques and old southern style homes so I'm glad our room does convey some of that to you.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:36PM