powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I want to build a modern fence with glass panels!
ManLand LandMan
February 1, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I think I know exactly the materials and techniques needed, I'd like comments on how you would build such a fence. I love any ideas you guys might have : )
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ManLand LandMan
My sketch should give you somewhat an idea of what I'm thinking about. : )
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:02PM
mpoulsom
i love that fence idea as well. looks like you know what you are doing though. Me, i would probably router out a line all the way down on inside side of the post, but lifting up every 12 inches or however tall the glass panels would be and leave the wood for the panels to rest on top of. Then lay both posts down on the ground and slide everything together into one fence section ready to put into holes in the ground. Not sure this would be the best way. I'm talking out of my creative brain, I am not a contractor. I also have not investigated what kind of hardware is out there for this specific design either. Good luck and great taste you have! :)
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:21PM
ManLand LandMan
Thanks for the comment! Why not have a nice fence you know, the glitz would turn heads. It's 2013, and it could be a cheap project if done the right way.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:26PM
designideas4me
Build me one too. How much do you expect to spend on this and how big will it be?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 12:01AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Looks like a beautiful fence... is it already installed? Looks like it is!..
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:26AM
ManLand LandMan
I'm about to start building in a few days, need some hardware.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:11AM
designideas4me
That crazy cat in your pic looks like it make eat my doggie but besides that....................How much will the fence cost? where do you buy that glass? I am serious I want one. It would look great next to my pool. Does the glass allow or cause more heat or effect plants that would be near it?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:15AM
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
Looks like a very interesting idea for a fence. I imagine you would use tempered glass for this. It's a question of howq you might connect the panels at the vertical supports. Since there is not top rail it all cantelevers out of the ground. You can't use aluminum posts and coiver them with wood. Maybe steel posts set in concrete with a slot for the glass to reside in and then cover that with wood trim... Let us know how you do it!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:21AM
ManLand LandMan
I just went to a glass shop 42$ a glass panel frosted. I forgot to say this project is just going to be on the side of the house, so I'm not going to build an entire fence line around my property. Heat will be just fine! The key is to use teflon window cleaner*! Quick set cement and post I'd say is going to set me back 3grand at most. I'm going to have a wooden planter at part of the base to cut back on glass and make it more sophisticated!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:21AM
ManLand LandMan
Kinda what I'm thinking. I'm going to lightly screw a second post covering the glass making it flush, some kind of bumper would be in between. Rough sketch!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:30AM
ManLand LandMan
I am no professional, but I have all the time in the world. It's about time and accuracy.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:31AM
hamdsomebanditt
I work for one of the largest fence companies on the east coast. In all my years I've never seen a fence like this before. We do railings with glass rails, but never a fence. Check out activeyards.com and look at how they construct railings with glass rails. As for setting your posts check out my companies site for DIY tips on installing posts. Fenceauthority.net -The posts must be perfectly plumb which can be a frustrating experience for a first timer. And don't forget about hot/cold expansion. Good luck with the project!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:37AM
Lisette Burns
How would your keep clean? Looks beautiful though.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:43AM
brettmaccannell
Ks Abusin
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:44AM
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
interesting!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:47AM
brettmaccannell
W h
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:49AM
ManLand LandMan
Cleaning would be great! Teflon window cleaner or rain x would cut down the cleaning to 1 clean a month or less
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:49AM
PRO
It would also make a nice railing, a couple of glass panels high, and higher at the end, at end panels...
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:52AM
ManLand LandMan
I think that would be too much Arlene. Trying to keep Cost down! I do have a wooden flower bed at the bottom of the fence.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
This would be for a new project. It would be perfect for one I'm doing, only the house railings, and dividers. So, this, idea, is not for this project!... the project your doing, just for other, or another project as idea. Thanks!..
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:11AM
ManLand LandMan
And it's fairly cheap Arlene!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:22AM
onthefence
I'm anxious to see your pics ManLand. That will really be a nice looking feature!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:27AM
Judit
Can't imagine how to build a fence of glass on a budget. These panels must cost a fortune.
My concern is that glass is not a material that can be found in nature like stone and wood. Not sure, not sure...
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:30AM
PRO
Thankyou, ManLand! great! comment!.... I will try this on my next project, it is 'railings'... not fence... it should work fine!... thanks, again!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:03AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It looks like you have a good grasp on the how too. It is a very cool project.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:19AM
designideas4me
Here is a fence I have planned on building for the past 2 years.... I have to submet plans to my hoa which may not pass due to it being over 6 feet tall. I really want to make it 8 feet at least to gain privacy and to create a cool look outside my kitchen window. I also worry about the glare produced by the metal. But check it out. Here is the video. Maybe it will help you. Has some similiar features. What else could I replace the metal with because I bet it will get burning hot and create glare. But in this project it has to be a flexible material. Maybe some kind of fabric? But with the wind it may rip over time.

0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 3:08AM
designideas4me
why dont you contact the architect for specifics..............looks like he is in Texas too. I had this fence in my ideabook also since I was looking at modern fence ideas.

0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 3:37AM
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 3:37AM