Professionals
Users
Floral valances
maggiemae0552
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
are floral valances dated/old looking?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I think it's not just the floral, it's also the style. You could try something like this: [houzz=
]

Your room is beautiful, by the way!
February 2, 2013 at 2:59am     
Terri Williams
I like the valance. It goes well with the light fixture . I would eliminate the hanging on the door. Have you thought about an area rug to anchor the table?
February 2, 2013 at 3:20am     
maggiemae0552
thanks! A rug would be a nice, and it would add a great touch to the room but.....now don't laugh, i like being able to quickly swiffer to mop up any spills instead of having to vac or scrub a rug. I know I am putting my laziness over style and I am ashamed of myself - ha who we kiddin, i m not ashamed at all! hahahahaha
February 2, 2013 at 4:16am     
maggiemae0552
I looked through Houzz before i picked them out and saw lots of floral valances, but someone commented to me that my valances looked dated. I looked through Houzz again and saw lots of floral, striped, plain, gathered, Austrian, balloon valances, etc. so whats dated and what isn't? I picked mine based on color & trim. I can have different curtains made,
but I am not sure what to tell her to make, cause I'll bet someone, somewhere will say......dahling, those curtains are soooo last year..... :). The curtains ollbobbi picked out are beautiful and that style is nice because they don't require a lot of material, Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to whats dated and what isn't.
February 2, 2013 at 4:41am     
nononanna
The room looks great - why are you wanting to change it? I mean, you're right - you can always find something else that looks good, but only do it if you're dying to change for change;s sake. I'm with you on the rug - the wood is good looking and rugs, while pretty, require work.
February 2, 2013 at 4:55am     
Terri Williams
I agree Maggiemae, trying to keep up with someone else's idea on what is NOW, and what is LAST YEAR is ridiculous and impossible. Now, a whole room of 70's cool would be pretty hard to swallow, but we don't live in museums or magazines so who can change all the decor constantly? I like the valance because they fit the room.
February 2, 2013 at 5:02am     
Genevieve
Box pleats are in and if you like you could add panels to the sides to give your room a little more glamour. http://excitingwindows.com/wp/kimlyon/wp-content/blogs.dir/17/files/blog-images-top-tx/pieper-full-designpieper-ups-box-006.jpg
February 2, 2013 at 5:09am     
janishill
What I think really doesn't matter. It is your house and what you like is what counts!

Now, having said that, the one thing I notice (and think looks bad) is the tops flopping over so the window frame can be seen. If the top will not stay up then the rods need to be moved up an inch or so. I also think the valances would look better if the rods were mounted on the outside of the frame, but who am I to say? It is your house after all. :-D
February 2, 2013 at 5:36am     
PRO
Design Mode
In this case, you have two "pretty" elements that were in style 20+ years ago, floral fabric and a gathered valance. Together, they look dated. A boxed pleat and a graphic floral are current, calm and clean looking. Your chairs and seat fabric could be "new country" or "farm house glam" and it would be relatively inexpensive to change your valances along that style.
Here's a fun style test that uses these terms, and two pics that I think reflect your style.
I'm Urban Funk with a touch of Boho, by the way. http://www.homegoods.com/stylescope/
February 2, 2013 at 5:42am     
Genevieve
Oops i forgot to read the question:) I was so concentrated on the picture .
Its a matter of taste , satisfaction and mostly budget ,in regard of the fabric..... its taste, and taste is personal . I must add that the style is out box pleated is in and always will be .
February 2, 2013 at 5:47am     
sdonaghue
I love your valances...just fix the droopy part. This whole room looks just lovely, with one exception: the collage on the door is distracting. It needs to be placed elsewhere in your home. If you want to add just a tiny bit more to the area, consider narrow wall sconces on each end of the windows, and maybe even between the windows. (I think I see a second set of windows to the right, but out of this picture?).

Having said all that and to answer your question, no, floral valances are not necessarily dated. If its a style you love, it is timeless. This is just lovely!
February 2, 2013 at 8:02am     
maggiemae0552
thanks so much for the compliments and for the suggestions! I think i will go with a box pleat and maybe add a button detail. A stripe fabric would look i think? And to Designmode i am farmhouse glam with a touch of boho. :). the quiz was fun to do!
February 2, 2013 at 12:48pm   
Keitha
What about something like this?
February 2, 2013 at 12:58pm     
maggiemae0552
could i take the existing curtains and cut them off so that they
no longer have any gathers?
February 2, 2013 at 7:03pm     
Keitha
You could just take the valances and blinds down and replace them with a warm wood roman shade that would be similar in tone to your floor.
February 2, 2013 at 7:30pm     
flgrandma
I agree with the comments on the style. Can these valances be changed to update them/ The room is lovely.
February 2, 2013 at 7:35pm   
PRO
Design Mode
You could dye the existing curtains black, cut off the ruffley wave on the bottom, maybe add a 1" white grosgrain strip detail above the hem, create a flat panel rather than gathered, and line them. Then move the valance rod above the window trim and below the crown molding. There - reuse and save the world!
I've attached an image of grosgrain trim.
February 3, 2013 at 4:34am   
maggiemae0552
Lol....Design Mode i can barely use stitch witchery....OK new curtains it is!.

However, Kietha, I also thought about woven wood shades and I like your idea. But my blinds are brand new (i didnt purchase them the previous owner did) and it just seemed wasteful. But i think i am going to get one roller shade from Lowes and hold it up to one of the windows and see what it looks like. If I love it, then I may go ahead and order new wood woven shades. I have had the wooden shades before and they are much easier to dust and keep clean than blinds.
February 3, 2013 at 4:59am     
Genevieve
Or you could go with something totally different like this for example ,it can be removed without any problems
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/magnolia-decorative-window-film-24-in-x-36-in/945266
February 3, 2013 at 5:42am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Unfortunately the whole valance is . I would definitely recommend a more modern looking valance one of my favorites is a Mock Roman Valance.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/top-treatments.html
February 3, 2013 at 6:04am     
PRO
JMittman Designs
It is definitely the style more than the pattern that is dated. Rod pocket valances with a floppy header are dated--IMHO. One continual box pleated valance, mounted just below the molding would look great!
February 3, 2013 at 7:33am     
grannygown
I love your Valance. I love floral's as I am a Gardner and Love flowers. I think we should have in Our Homes,the things We love...We are the one's who look at it everyday. Everyone has different Taste's.
February 3, 2013 at 7:51am   
aurorawallis
Please don't take the comments negatively. You did ask the question :) and reading answers without seeing our facial expressions and tone of voice might make it seem neg. However they do look a bit dated. personally I think if you love the floral pattern a more simple box valance would be nice. its a pretty room, good luck :)
February 3, 2013 at 8:02am   
decoenthusiaste
No one has taken note of the fact that your chairs and table tend toward French Country. Are the chair seats black and cream? I'm thinking a black toile or a buffalo check if they are. Of course, there are other colors in both of those fabrics. Might consider an indoor/outdoor rug from homedecorators.com if you want something you can take outside and hose off. They have a big selection.
February 3, 2013 at 8:23am     
Genevieve
A toile would also work with those panels or alone if you like http://www.villageantiques.net/wp-content/uploads/toile.jpeg
February 3, 2013 at 9:44am     
maggiemae0552
i love buffalo checks, but wasnt sure about doing more checks when the seat cushions are black and white checks. i'm going to the fabric store tomorrow and see what they have. I'll bring home a bunch of swatches and post them and you guys can help me choose! Won't that be fun?? :). thanks again for everyone's advice. It is awesome to get different, unbiased opinions.
February 3, 2013 at 1:56pm     
decoenthusiaste
Buffalo checks change the scale so they work. You could combine with your chairs easily.
February 4, 2013 at 6:55am     
maggiemae0552
well i went fabric hunting today...OMG....everything i like is $30 a yd! yowza! And i thought picking paint was hard...
February 4, 2013 at 4:42pm   
Genevieve
Are you planning to have these curtains made or are you willing to make them yourself?
February 4, 2013 at 4:45pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
$30 per yd sounds very reasonable. If it is a good quality product.
February 4, 2013 at 4:46pm   
ann
Regarding carpet/no carpet- I have seen suggestions to "paint" an area rug on the floor. Takes a lot of guts, but might help!
February 4, 2013 at 4:49pm   
February 4, 2013 at 4:55pm   
jacalyna
go on line to order material. Waverly is always a good quality fabric that you can trust to order. Love the check or the toile, LOVE toile . I have made all my curtains from it and love them and can control the fullness. Love them full. and long. On line is about 18. dollars a yard.
February 4, 2013 at 4:57pm     
maggiemae0552
$30 per yard may be a super bargain for all i know; I haven't shopped for material in years. But I was expecting to pay around $15 a yard for a cotton/poly blend, so i wasn't prepared to see cotton fabric for $32, $35, $45 etc. per yard. I did see some fabric for $15 to $20 per yard, but of course it wasn't my favorite & if I m going to do this then I m going to get what I love. Now that I know what I m dealing with, i will go with a very simple window treatment, so that i can get the fabric i want.
unfortunately, i don't sew so I will have to pay someone to make them for me but thats ok. It will all come together and be beautiful thanks to your suggestions and ideas. :) it is a fun process and I may find material at another store! I took some pictures of some of the material i looked at, and i will upload them!
February 4, 2013 at 5:19pm   
sjkingston
Yes, while lovely they are dated in style and fabric. Today the look is a flat valence or a roman shade (whether faux or real). For a fabric, consider a neutral background with a pattern in the yellow and green tones of your walls. To see examples, go to the Photos tab and select kitchen, then type in "Valence Yellow Green" and you'll get a feel for how to update the look. Both styles are pretty easy for someone to make with modest DIY skills if you want to do it yourself.
February 4, 2013 at 5:33pm   
nysnh
I do not feel the valances are dated.
At first sight I thought these colors are not related and patterns (floral and grid) are totally different. But when I look at this room again they all mix and match pretty well. I would remove the pictures behind the door, the bench in front of the windows, and the golden frame form the wall making the pretty table/chair/candles the focal point.
February 4, 2013 at 5:43pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Fabric prices have increased dramatically in the last few years for sure. A number of cotton shortages have contributed to that. Good luck with your new valances. Be sure to post an update here with the changes!
February 4, 2013 at 6:06pm   
Genevieve
you could purchase flat sheets and make some window covering with them the white sale is on this month ,look for Ralph Lauren sheets the fabric is beautiful and everlasting .
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17512366&cp=1760785.2216969&ab=ln_home_cs1_bedcollections&parentPage=family
February 4, 2013 at 6:51pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Sorry, can't agree with the advice on sheets, even nice Ralph Lauren ones. Sheets do not have the stability needed for window treatments. They are not woven/printed in the same way that decorator fabric are woven/printed. I would spend more time making a sheet ready for a window treatment--with added stabilizers, interlining, trying to correct the grain, etc--than I would using decorator fabric made for window treatments.
February 5, 2013 at 6:03am   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Absolutely not! They look good to me...If you’re looking for just a change, maybe you can reupholster your chairs a different pattern or add some color eliminates to your table décor. Not to say anything is incorrect; but we sometimes need a change now and then. Good Luck –“HouZZ –“Digital Imaging by Tina”.
February 5, 2013 at 6:14am   
flgrandma
I'll agree with Tina. You have a nice little French country look going and nothing really needs changed unless you're tired of it.
February 5, 2013 at 6:35am   
nononanna
Unless you're under 25 and still in college, sheets are verbotten. Sheets always look like sheets. The room looks nice enough as it is - if you change it, change for something nicer, not worse.
February 5, 2013 at 7:18am   
Genevieve
Why are sheets "vorbotten" ? Aren't they made from fabric used in draperies as well? If you look a the co-ordinates they have made curtains using the same fabric, The only one who will know that you have used sheet fabric to make your curtains will be you, and if you like a fabric it doesn't matter if its a sheet or fabric that you have bought by the yard, designer fabrics are expensive but your creativity can be endless if you want it to be .

PS Curtains are usually lined for stability .

Here is another idea
http://www.sears.ca/product/villa-valance/624-24265-624-24265
February 5, 2013 at 7:53am   
More Discussions
Garden Entry Gate Ideas
We made Brown wood gates for private entry, and now...
help with dinning and living room
Hi. i m portuguese and i love cats (have 3 cats) but...
Exterior update on 1970's bungelow
The house faces west. I've thought of adding a covered...
Mantel
I am debating whether or not to paint this dark mantel...
Need help with paint for the bathroom!
I'm moving into my new place in the summer and it's...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.