powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help Needed - staging house for sale - paint paneling or not?
sgausman
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would appreciate input. Our house is on the market. Sales in our area are slow and we'd like to move the process along.... We live in a 1950s split. We painted the paneling in the LR and DR (it had been stained an odd gray/green), in the hall (was a shellacked natural pine). Walls are now a cheery white.

I'd like to paint the paneling in the MBR; however my husband disagrees. He thinks potential buyers would like to see the paneling in the original state. I suspect he just doesn't want to deal with painting all the uneven surfaces... (It IS a pain to paint.)

I'm attaching (if I can figure it out) pictures of the LR and DR, so you get a feel for the property. These are the pics the realtor posted on the MLS.

ANY input regarding staging is most appreciated. We've sold several times in the past, and I thought I had a decent handle on staging, but am feeling that I'm missing something this time around.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sigrid
I wouldn't bother to paint the panelling. I would make sure the picture has plenty of light, it's noticeably darker than the other pics. Get more light in the picture, even if you have to drag every lamp in the house in.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:01AM
PRO
Kalli George Interiors
Notice how brighter and cheerier your living and dining rooms appear. Your bedroom would look muc brighter and some degree bigger if the paneling was painted the same colour as the rest of the room.
20 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:28AM
nononanna
Agree with Sigrid. True it would be lighter, but you could add light in other ways if he refuses to paing. There aren't any lamps in that end of the room - you could put one or two on the dresser and a floor lamp by the chair. Ultimately buying new lamps might be as expensive as painting the two walls.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:52AM
josue7227
I would replace the sheets with a modern looking set. Take out all the furniture and instead of painting the walls, paint the furniture so it could go with the walls and the set of sheets. keep it simple!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:03AM
PRO
Anna Cottee Designs
Definitely paint the panelling, I make over houses for sale for a living and I know most buyers HATE pine!
26 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:09AM
feeny
I would paint the paneling. While there may be some buyers out there who would like wood paneling in a bedroom, I suspect they are few and far between. Most people would appreciate the lighter, brighter, more cheerful and soft look of the painted paneling for a bedroom.
19 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:14AM
PRO
Braitman Design Studio
Here's are before and after photos of painted pine paneling. I personally prefer it painted -- really opens up the space and makes it brighter.
41 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:17AM
PRO
Anna Cottee Designs
Great job on those stairs! What a difference!
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:18AM
janishill
I hope you don't mind a few suggestions to help get your house sold.

If you don't paint switch the rugs out. The black and white rug in the MBR is fighting with the paneling. The rug in the dining room would be less startling to the eyes and the black and white would work beautifully with the walls and beams in the DR.

I would also hang the sheers in the MDR higher, so they are ceiling to floor and not dragging on the floor. See illustration.

If you were to flip the black chest of drawers to the long wall and put the chair and shelf on the shorter wall I think the room would have better balance.

One other thing; the picture above your credenza is too high. The top edge of the frame should not be higher than the tops of the lamps. Then the metal art piece will need to drop down as well. People will still notice the height of the ceiling.

And if possible move the chair in the LR so the front legs are on the rug, so it is a part of the conversation group.

I like what you have done, but you would need to remove most of the items from your walls, so a potential buyer can envision their own pictures hanging on the walls. As a matter of fact the less you have in the rooms, cabinets nadclosets the more spacious the house will appear.

Hope to see updates as you go!
11 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:28AM
DIAspoton
Paint. The LR and DR are pretty, bright and inviting. the dark paneling seems more for a boys cabin bdrm. painting will not only lighten but also add to the romantic feel a MBR should have. put a pretty lamp on the chest. change the pillow and throw on the gold chair to white.
In the LR, you might also try a white/natural slipcover on the floral chair.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:37AM
sgausman
Thanks for the input. Any comments related to improving anything in the house are welcome. This is about making it look appealing to potential buyers, not what I like/dislike.

Rug in mbr is dark blue/cream - still switch w/ DR rug ??
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:16AM
dmerrill
Absolutely, please PAINT! I'd also recommend removing the rug and clear the surfaces of the dark dresser. Ditto on raising the sheers and I love the dining room ceiling. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:34AM
joannr
I would paint, then it would flow with the other rooms in your house. I would paint all of the wood paneling through out. Remove all sheers and put up woven blinds. Worth the investment!
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:56AM
janishill
Yes, still change the rug...and I agree that painting it would make a huge difference.

Also get rid of the little table with the mirror over it. Hang the mirror over the black chest. Since it will be close to the window it will brighten the space.

At first I thought the large green plant in the corner of your dining room would look good in your bedroom. But you should get a taller palnt and put it in the corner in front of the air conditioner so it is less conspicuous.

When you have an open house open all the drapes, sheers, blinds or anything else you have covering the windows. Light and bright is what you are going for.

Take the leaf out of your dining room table, put some chairs in storage, sett eh table and pull a chair out ever so slightly at an angle so it is suggesting 'come sit here'.

If possible put half of what you own in storage. Remove any personal pictures, religious icons (cross on wall, etc), clean out closets so you they are only 25% full. Same for cabinets, adn frig. Make sure there are no odors from pets or cigerettes, etc. Use vanilla scented items if you must use a scent anywhere. Not Freebrezz...or anything that people might be allergic to. Bake cookies before the open house and have a big plate sitting on the kitchen counter (whihc has been cleared off completely!).

Can you post pictures from different angles of the living room? Maybe some of the kitchen and bathrooms as well.
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:10AM
sgausman
Here are some more pictures of the LR and DR, from the Multi-list. We weren't home when the realtor took pictures - note the mess couch cushions!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 9:10AM
groveraxle
Paint, for sure. Everything in your house looks beautiful...except the MBR. Kitchen is gorgeous, BTW. Good advice from janishill about removing stuff. Simplify. Let the great bones of this house show.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:24AM
Jayme H.
I like the painted rooms better. I would remove the wall unit air conditioner and/or put a cover on it...good luck with your selling process!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:35AM
sjkingston
My reaction to the bedroom with all that paneling is I would walk away from the house thinking the bedroom is small, dark, low ceiling'd and cramped, no matter how big it really is. And remember, most woman looking at it know it will be a future fight with hubby to change it. So as others have noted, paint it and let in the light. The painted paneling is gorgeous.
5 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:42AM
janishill
Your house looks great. Try the little tweaks I mentioned before (like changing the rugs out) as well as those listed below.

Use a pineapple as the centerpiec on the dining room table. Nothing says hospitality like a pineapple.

I would play up that brick wall by putting the buffet on it with the lamps at each end. And I would turn on every lamp and light when you have an open house...even putting in brighter bulbs than you usually use.

Get rid of the chair, the lamp, the star in the dining room and move the plant to that corner. Leave space around it, so it isn't shoved in the corner.

Remove the large vase and flowers from the living room corner and one of the small groupings on the kitchen counter. Remember less = more money in the pocket and a faster sale. It would probably been worth the money to rent a storage space for a month or two. Clean out every little bit of excess.

Curb appeal is crutial when it comes to selling yoru house. It's what gets buyers out of the car and into the house. Check yours. Ask friends what they think should be improved. Repaint the front door if it needs it, tidy the landscaping and add some colorful flowers.

Hope to see updates as you go!
7 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:00PM
Darzy
Janishill's advice is terrific. If the closets are crowded it looks like there is not enough space..etc. One last thing that is very important. A sparkling clean house. I'm talking you can eat off the floors clean, including the windows. Leave all window treatments open and even remove the screens to let the most light in. (Put the screens back when you sell the house). Notice model homes have no window screens? Square footage sells. Anything sitting on the floor that is not a piece of furniture needs to go. And, remove any and all furniture you don't absolutely need in the home. Not only will the home be light, bright, airy and feel spacious, the buyers notice and think "Wow, this house has been well taken care of." At least whitewash the walls the master bedroom walls for a bright and "charming" look. A new front door mat and pretty flowers near the front door is a good first impression. No spider webs on the exterior light. :) BTW, your home does look charming! Oh..I'd remove the chair by the front door so the house will feel like it has a spacious "foyer". Oh..remove almost all personal photos and even the laptop on the dining table. This reminds a buyer that there is no office space in the home.
7 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:27PM
PRO
Urban Oasis
Paint the panelling for sure. It's a much more updated look. Brighter and fresher as well.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:29PM
Judy M
I vote paint the paneling in Master. The sloped ceilings are already making it feel smaller, the dark paneling breaks it up even more. It will look larger if it's painted.
5 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:37PM
decoenthusiaste
Everyone has made great suggestions and the main one is to take your fingerprint off of the home and leave it neutral and inviting enough that propects "see" their stuff there. Make sure every room as a spot where you can just hear the prospect say "I'm home!"
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:11PM
flgrandma
Do you live in an area where people would expect to see or even like pine paneling? if not, I'd paint it.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:32PM
annieb501
Why not remove the paneling and paint the room? Painting paneling reminds me of the 70's to 80's. Take out the paneling all together in the master bedroom, then paint the same color as the rest of the bedroom. Painted paneling looks cheap to me, but I do see how everyone has said paint it. It reminds me of the old manufactured homes. I do like your kitchen. Nice home.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:57PM
sgausman
I will be painting tomorrow, and will post pics of paneling and other suggested changes. Thank you!
5 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:27PM
Darzy
That kitchen is a beauty. This is going to sound nit-picky..but even remove the dish cloths from the appliances.
6 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:34PM
Katina Jones
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:40PM
pako123
Ya u should it will make the room look bigger and brighter. It is more inviting
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:43PM
PRO
Hue Color & Interiors
oh god yes please paint those walls- !!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:52PM
dianahb
Well, no one has mentioned it, but I'd paint those dark beams on the dining room ceiling. I imagine that is always in your field of vision, makes the ceiling seem low, and seems claustrophobic to me. You could paint them the same color as the ceiling, or some neutral tone that isn't as dark and contrasty as the dark wood that's there now. Pale Gray? If you lighten those up, the whole room will open up and no one will notice the height of the ceiling- which, I'm guessing, is not super tall? I like the kitchen.
12 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:16PM
nononanna
SJKingston has a point - many women will see anything that needs to be done as one more argument with the hubby.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:06AM
sgausman
dianahb - I hate the dining room beams - and we've considered painting them - and I wondered whether anyone would comment on them, or if it was just me...
4 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:37AM
feeny
What color would you paint the dining room beams? I'd still like a contrast, but I'd probably prefer brown or dark taupe to black. But it wouldn't be a high priority change for resale, IMO.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:29AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would suggest replacing the sheers with Faux wood blinds . Its not worth spending on drapery the buyer most likely will just take them down. I have helped staging homes many times and this is what we usually recommend if you budget is tight.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/horizontal-blinds/faux-wood-blinds.html
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:23AM
dianahb
About the beams. . . . if I were looking at your house-- and with all the pictures you've shown here-- those beams (and the nice kitchen) are the only images I now have in my head. I suspect that would be the case if I visited, too. If I liked the house, the beams probably wouldn't stop me from buying-- but they leave an overall impression that seems so out-dated-- they're just dark and off-putting and would certainly make me then look at how the rest of the ceilings appear. Again, if you have low ceilings, you don't want to emphasize that, I don't think(?). Of course, I know I could paint them (same with bedroom paneling), but if you paint them the same color as rest of ceiling-- or, preferably, some light neutral (but not the same) color-- the difference and overall look would be amazing. Honestly, they remind me of dark lap lines on the bottom of a swimming pool. Your eye just naturally goes to those lines. I can't even tell you what the rest of that room looks like, and I've looked at that picture several times now. They are overwhelming and so obtrusive. Seriously-- paint them. You'll be so glad you did.

As far as the paneling goes in the bedroom, I rather like the angles and coziness of that room. I would not paint that particular paneling; rather, I would eliminate the rug, because the wood floor and the paneling are a nice warm touch. I would, instead, really lighten up that area over there with the paneling (table lamps can provide such nice warm light). It's the air conditioning unit that is troublesome. Not sure what your can do about that. Painting the wood around that unit the same color as the wall would make it less noticeable. Is this an attic room?
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:44AM
dianahb
Oh-- one more suggestion. I looked at that dining room picture again, and the way the beams come down and hit the top of that window-- is another reason you should paint them. But, also, it looks like the beams hit the top of that curtain rod. The window *looks* like a bay window? I probably would eliminate the curtains altogether and leave that window bare-- possibly put in shades-- but I think you could leave it bare, because it's a really nice feature, along with the window seat. Once you paint the beams, and eliminate those curtains, it would be a much more inviting space.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:52AM
Lady Von
Throwing my 2 cents in...

First of all, you have a really nice house and your kitchen is a dream! I agree with the advice regarding decluttering, deep cleaning, and painting of the paneling. My husband and I just bought an older split level with painted panel walls. It really made a difference in how the house looked and felt. The (family) room looks amazing even with the dated paneling. I know if it were not painted my husband would have grumbled till the cows came home regarding having to tackle it himself. So, as a recent buyer I say paint the paneling. I've attached some pictures with painted paneling and painted beams (yes, if you have extra neutral paint I would paint the beams in the dining room, too). One thing that I did not see mentioned is the lighting fixture in the master. I would change it out (if it is in the budget). It is as dated as the paneling. Lowes and Home Depot offer nice lighting options that are really affordable. The light fixture (shown below) is only about $50 --at least in my area.

Again, I am coming from the mindset of a recent home buyer. We looked at A LOT of houses (we were outbid on 8 houses!) Crazy! We ended up with a very modest 1970's split level that had really simple yet nice updates that did not cost a fortune. It meant we didn't have to put in that extra work to update fixtures, painting, and lighting. And because the work had been done for us, we were also willing to offer full asking price because the house was in good shape. Just a thought!

Good luck!
7 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:49AM
dianahb
Ladyvon-- those are great photographs -- and such beautiful airy rooms. I love the painted ceiling and beams-- perfect example of how open, light, and inviting that can make a room look. Those beams then become a really nice feature. And the warm wood floors add a lot, too.

I love the painted paneling on the bedroom ceiling as well. Nicely done.

By the way, for the original poster-- I did look back at that bedroom paneling. I didn't realize, in the second picture-- that it goes all the way around. I thought it was just in that one little angled corner-- where the dresser/desk is-- so, yeah-- I agree-- paint that paneling, too. I now feel invested in this house. ;)
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:57AM
clemenza2
Although your paneling seems to be the nice old "real" stuff -- applied slat by slat -- It would definitely look fresher and brighter painted. Plus, it would continue your downstairs vibe up to the MBR. But keep in mind, although white paneling is traditional and pretty, it doesn't HAVE to be white......almost any light and serene shade would look terrific, with white or bright (or both) accents..... I think I'm seeing an upholstered headboard, it would be great to use a coordinating fabric on it. Put some sort of interesting light fixture over the bed (something light and lacy maybe, like wicker, and don't hang it too low!). Toss the rug (replace it with sisal or seagrass) and the very dated easy chair.....replace it with almost anything from Ikea or Homegoods so it won't break the budget. Finally take down the sheers completely and replace with a bamboo shade and straight panels on either side of the window -- maybe the same fabric that you put on the headboard.......sometimes matchy-matchy looks unimaginative, but sometimes it looks so calm and coordinated.......this room is such a nice size that I think it would work well. Again, you can get great panels at Ikea (and buy one to put on the headboard) and you can also get beautiful Waverly panels at Lowe's.....as I type this I am looking at beautiful black and cream trellis panels that I bought there, I think for $25 a pop.....Your house is lovely, you will definitely enjoy sprucing up the bedroom and all the positive feedback it brings to do so.....good luck!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:26AM
yytcm
Definitely paint the paneling in the bedroom and anything else that's dark wood - beams in the dining room (if you have time and funds) and I'd even prefer the trim around the doors (i.e., kitchen) to match the white baseboards - then declutter and rearrange some things as suggested - you've already done so much to update and I think this will be the finishing touch. Keep ladyvon's thoughts and advice in mind. You may have a dozen potential buyers walk through your house and maybe 11 of them will keep walking because the house is "old", but I'll bet that 12th one will be a "ladyvon" who will be thrilled with your house and won't want to leave. It's quite lovely and you've done a lot to tap the potential for the new owner. Good luck and keep us posted.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:50AM
kobley
Paint! Your house looks great except the bedroom paneling. It will make the room look larger and calmer. It will be easier for people to picture their own things in the room.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:59AM
sgausman
@dianahb - the DR has two bay windows - one w/ a 'seat' and one without. I'm attaching some pics I just took w/ my phone. Please excuse the poor quality (light coming in the window made one especially dark) and 'mess'. The jewelry on the table is a pinboard on which I keep my costume jewelry. My husband put it there WHILE HE PAINTS THE MBR! (No complaints from me - he's painting as I type this.) One poster suggested getting rid of the wing chair and lamp in the DR, to keep the room feeling spacious. The room is approx. 14' x 17' and, because of the two windows, always feels bright and roomy. We like to sit in the chair and read. HOWEVER, I realize that staging a house means just that...and things aren't always the way you 'live' - but done so to convey a feeling....
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:44AM
curacaoblue
The rest of the house is painted so it makes sense to finish the mbr for continuity
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:45AM
sgausman
Also, I lowered the picture and metal half-circle thing above it, at the suggestion of janishill. We'll switch the rugs once the painting is done. The curtain rods in the DR appear to touch the beams, but don't. I'll probably remove the table runner and center something (??) on the table as a centerpiece-type item. Not sure what yet. Also, the candles/twig thing on the window seat is going away momentarily. Any other suggestions? I do hate the little table in the front bay window. It doesn't 'fit', nor does the cube thing next to it.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:49AM
sgausman
There isn't a better place in the house for the piano, so it's in the DR. I always felt the half-round table on the short brick wall was too small for the space. It moved from our last house, and never quite felt right there. We do have a storage unit, so anything (except the piano) can go there.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:51AM
shoelala816
I say paint. I have friends that painted an entire room of paneling a nice neutral and I never notice that its paneled!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
shoelala816
Paint will make room look bigger!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
decoenthusiaste
Sometimes it is wise to rent a storage building for the extra stuff to stay while your home is on the market and actively being shown. It can get uncomfortable to live without some of your favorites, but the payoff for the short term lack will be reward enough when you sell. As you learned, realtors don't call ahead to see if the house is ready to be photographed or shown so you have to keep it in ready condition all the time.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
lessismoore
Congrats on having the DH start the painting in the paneled MBR. This will make a huge difference. And I think if you also are painting the trim around the airconditioner, it will "vanish" when not "framed." I love your dining room, the exposed beams and brick wall, et al. But wonder about a few things there. I have to agree with a several others that I would like the beams painted something less "contrasty" than black. My reasoning is that it make your dinette set seem to not to "go" in there. With the strong black lines, I find my self looking for a more modern (glass, chrome, black/white leather) set in there and my eyes are bouncing around. With a change to something warmer (a taupe shade?) your brick with look less "red" and your wood set will look more "at home." Also, the sconces in there (for me) look very "outdoorsy" as if they were meant for exterior use, rather than blending with your lovely chandelier. It "almost" makes it feel as if this room was a conversion or add on and that the brick was formerly an exterior wall.
Definitely cover the chair with the floral pattern in the living room with a solid slip cover, or easier still - put that in storage and move the neutral wing chair from the dining room in there instead! Like your accents colors in the LR; the yellows and greens, so would remove anything not in the main palette there (neutrals/white, black, gray, yellows, greens ... all good - ). Best of luck on the sale. It's a great house, should be hard to leave it!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 10:53AM
boysaboys
Here are my comments for what they are worth, ha Your kitchen looks great. Glad there is no rug on the floor. When time for open house, remove the coffee pot, basket, soaps. Keep the counters clean of stuff. A fruit bowl, and...i would go purchase some fake fruit because if your house does not sell quickly you will be running out for fresh fruit all the time. Best fruit is lemons, keep them in the fridge when not showing as they will keep much longer. A big bowl of the same fruit works. Living room - get rid of that vase on the floor near the door and the cross. Neither is necessary. Remember less is more ! Go thru all your rooms with that thought in mind. I rather like the dark beams in the dining room, and an easy fix if the new owners do not. Remove the lamp and chair in the dining room (not necessary) and put that chair in your bedroom. It looks more updated than the one you have in there. Also, remove the plants and stuff on the window ledge in the Dining Room, again not necessary and takes away from your gorgeous outdoors. Remove the star on the wall in dining room as well as the tables etc near that window. Perhaps one of those items could perhaps could go in the corner where the chair currently is. Take stuff out of the rooms that are sitting on the floors. They just act as clutter. Again, dining room, a plant in a basket sitting on top of a basket does not work. Go with a large planter with moss on top. I know I am being a bit OCD here, but, take the wine bottle, put it on a silver tray, or whatever you have along with two wine glasses and set it at an angle on your dining room table. With regard to the bedroom - yes, please do paint those walls, it is much too outdated the way they are now. The dining room chair would be a better choice. Remove the rug, you don't really need one if the floors are in good condition. The room will appear bigger if the floor is consistant. Remember you are staging it to look its best, not necessarily your personal taste. Remove everything around the window. A plant on the left of the window will do. Take the mirror and place is above the dressers, and take most of your stuff of the dresser. Candles are find. The mirror can lean up against the wall, perhaps a nice bunch of flowers to go with the candles. Remove the three pillows on the bed, they do not add.
Remember selling a house is a real pain, because you constantly need to be ready to show it at any time. So, having less stuff out helps it appear neater. Good luck with selling !
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:58AM
dianahb
sgausman-- Thanks for the extra pictures. I see the bay window a bit better now. I'd still remove the curtains-- I even think shades might be a cleaner look-- though you might not want to spend that money. I actually would have nothing on that window. But that's a nice size dining room.

I'd still paint those beams, and-- as someone else mentioned-- you do not have to stick with white. Warm pale grays or even a taupe, as someone else said would offer a sophisticated look. As it is, those dark beams really make that room seem smaller (and make the ceilings feel like they are closing in on you) and, I don't know, make me think of 1970. Yes-- people can see the beams (and the paneling) and think they can paint, but it does leave an overall impression that impacts the rest of how someone feels about a house.

Admittedly, I am conflicted about all this "staging" that realtors (and buyers) require now. I fully understand how doing so will make a house sell more quickly -- but I've often wondered about people who cannot see beyond someone else's personal items and, yes, even clutter I've never had a problem walking into a house and imagining how it *can* look, and I've never had a problem looking at other people's personal items and family photos. After all, real people do live in these houses. In fact, when I see a house for sale that is completely clutter-less (not even a magazine to be seen) and almost sparse in its overall look, my first thought is that the rooms will seem that much smaller when I get all my stuff in there. (Actually, my first thought is wondering where all there stuff is now stored.)
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:23AM
janishill
The picture and metal art look much better now that you have lowered them.

I agree with lessismore - put the wing back chair in the living room, put the floral piece in storage. Also put the rocking chair, cube and table next to it in storage. I would put the two chairs from the end of the table in storage - unless you have to have them.

There needs to be something tall and slender on the half-moon table in the dining room. A tall narrow picture of birch trees in a narrow black frame would be nice.

The tall plant still looks as though it is shoved in the corner. Pull it out 6" at the very least.

I also agree about changing out the light fixture. This one from Lowe's would work: http://www.lowes.com/pd_197767-2120-93250_4294715753__?productId=1207331&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=
and will mimic the shape of the table and the metal art. Just give the silver a coat of matt black spray paint before hanging it.

Remember, staging is about de-personalizing the space. Remove the stack of books on the end table in the living room.

Though I like green and gold, blue is the favorite color of the vast majority of people. Specifically United Nations blue (which is the reason it was chosen) Try using blue throw pillows and other accessories to make potential home buyers feel comfortable. A blue throw on the arm of the wing back chair and a book (one of the classics) open and laid across the other arm visually invites a person to sit and relax.

But I am getting ahead of the game. Right now you are still prepping. I have to agree about the beams in the dining room being distracting. If you had a black table and chairs it would work. The solution is to paint them the same color as the ceiling or a slightly grayish shade of the same color.

Oh...on second thought the cube could go at teh foot of your bed. It would be especially nice if you had a pair of them or a little bench. A place to put pillows or to put on shoes...and not the big chair that is there now. :-)

Anyway...when the painting is finished and the other tweaks have been completed (moving items to storage, removing books, etc) then post updated pictures and I am certain Houzzers will give you tons more ideas.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I stage homes also, most all buyers do not want pine walls. You have a lot of pine in this room. Buyers are wanting what's happening today and want all the updates they can get.
My suggestions will reflect the most inexpensive changes. I agree with all who may have mentioned the following in previous posts.

I agree with all who said paint. It's the most inexpensive makeover you could do..

I agree about switching carpets In the dining - Even though, black living room beams and navy/cream carpet. The two depths of color will play upon each other and create drama. Buyers will notice the high cathedral ceiling, which is a great architectural feature. Don't paint beams. too difficult. My opinion..

Paint all the moldings in the same room and the wood doors also, white/cream. Remove any furniture that you don't need, also art and accessories. Keep it simple.

Master bedroom, create a reading area with two chairs, table between, lamp on top. Chairs do not have to match. You probably have two chairs you can use and a table.

Use only the dressers that fit the wall properly. A desk or vanity area for makeup in the master works well and is a functional area for a potential buyer.

Dining - if room permits ... place 3 pillows with lively with black accent colors on the bay window seat (standing up, resting against the glass) or large colorful pottery. Play up this architectural feature too. Add some of those colors on the dining table with candles or a few vases, varying heights.

Remove the iron plaque above the buffet, place over an entry door or your master bedroom door. It's too wide for that artwork. Remove the rocker. Use the upholsterd chair in the bedroom.

Replace the art over the buffet that has brighter colors to copy the pillows or ....... just paint the art frame a bright color as in pillows or table accessories. Art also needs to be moved down to14' above buffet top. Oops already moved. Color adds a lot of life and interest. Model homes use color very stragetically.

Only one large bowl on buffet, No small objects on the floor. i have more to post, will post later. Company has arrived.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 6:22PM
curacaoblue
Re staging... The reason you need to depersonalize is so that the buyer can I,aging living there. You want them to say "oh wouldn't our table look great there?" Etc.... They can't see themselves in a house when your photo is there because you don't look like them. Plus it's human nature to get distracted and be nosey. If the house is cluttered or messy they spend the whole time commenting on that rather than looking at the house itself. I think part of why it happens is because the whole process is stressful and its some sort of relief, like a distraction.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 8:46PM
yonube
Master: I would absolutely paint the paneling. It darkens the room. The table on the right of the window, I would put it on the left side against the paneled wall...like a make up vanity, and I would add a mirror on top to reflect light. If you want to save the cottage feel you could do a white wash instead, preserving the wood grain and lightening the room.
The dark rug, put it somewhat under the bed: the white bedding on top will lighten it up. Good luck!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 9:00PM
dianahb
curacaoblue: Yes-- I certainly understand the concept of 'staging;' of course, in olden times, it was simply described as cleaning up a house to look desirable to potential buyers. I think my own ambivalence stems from the fact that we've now given that "clean-up" a whole new name/ label and created a whole new career for people. Additionally, I'm left dumbfounded by the people who seemingly cannot go into another house and imagine the possibilities-- without the homeowner laying it all out there for them--- and eliminating most signs of life in the home. While I'm well aware of the seeming lack of imagination in potential buyers, that always makes me wonder. Somehow, potential buyers can seem more concerned with slight clutter or abundance of family photos, than they are with asking the serious questions. Of course, maybe they just wait for an inspector to do that.
6 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:02PM
curacaoblue
That's exactly what they do
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:06PM
dianahb
haha. Yes; I believe we're in agreement. :)
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:11PM
Darzy
Heck...even when the paint color is fresh and nice, buyers will say..I hate this paint color. No vision for so many. I am sometimes amazed when paint on wall can be a deal breaker. hmmmm.
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:33PM
Beverley Cole
Its always nice to keep a house in its era, I love the wood panelling it gives a lovely warm rich feeling to the room. Have you looked at Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture using wood in most of the homes he designed and people love them.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:32PM
PRO
LB Interiors
You have a nice home. You have done a great job even before some of the most recent changes that I see now. I agree with those who have suggested any of the following, just my opinion. Lots of good ideas from everyone. You had a headstart by doing better than many other homeowners. You did a good job. There is so much to read on these comments. I apologize if I've repeated the same suggestions.

Maybe place the ottoman from the dining in front of the wingback chair. Use the chair and ottoman in the master to help create a reading area.

I would place the star above the 1/2 round table in the dining room. The table looks lonely. Maybe just the 3 candles and a decorator storage box on the table.

Remove the tall plant stand table and ottoman from the dining windows. Nothing needs to go there.

Inexpensive changes are the best way to go, especially since the house is in the MLS right now.
Great house. Good Luck.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:16PM
amgraham
i think you should paint the wood white and also declutter each room by at least 1/2. it will look better. also get rid of any fake plants or flowers they look terrible.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:35AM
amgraham
plus get rid of the floor rugs they make the place look cluttered, busy and smaller.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:36AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Hi again, you may want to RE-ARRANGE your own things, first. NO COST
After studying your photos:
NO COST for the makeovers. After all, your home is on the MLS. I think you have all the furniture you need, including tables, chairs and rugs. Here’s the plan that I envision.
I apologize to you for the lengthy design plan. It took time, but I wanted to test myself.
I apologize to the houzzers that have already mentioned any of the suggestions below:

*** NEW MASTER BEDROOM Plan. Create different zones – after painting the pine … or not … your room will be more functional and seem larger, buyers need to be shown how to use the spaces. These will work whether you paint the pine or not.

- No cost. Create Master Reading Area – Add the upholstered chair and floor lamp from - the dining to - master on the other side of the existing rectangle table and chair with large artwork. Your table between the chairs. Floor lamp either left or right, of the back side of the table. Bring the table forward to meet the chair seat edges. Place away from the wall.
- No cost. Mirror - Move the large mirror from the right side of the tall window and Switch with the large artwork by the chair. Center the grouping to the mirror placement. Light will bounce to the other side of the room, especially when the lamp is on. (I understand you added mirrors for more light in the master).

- No cost. Master Rug – Switch out dining rug and master rug. Move Master rug to the dining room. Dining rug is a lighter color for this dark room.
Master rug works well with black/navy beams.
Don’t paint the beams, too much work, not necessary. Beams and rug do not have to be the same color. They are both dark and balance the room.
Buyers will take notice of the cathedral ceiling. The eye follows the strength of the dark color. Beams are a great architectural feature. You’re selling the home, not your things.

- No cost. Master Rocking chair - Master Tall Window Wall. Mom & baby or? - Move from the dining – to the Master on the left side of window. Move the ottoman to Master in front of the rocker. Balances the desk wall and creates another functional area for a new mom or lounging. You may have a small table (height of rocker arm) for mom next to the rocker?
Seating has a purpose. Buyers will see how to use this space.

- No cost. Master Chair - from the living room, chair with wood arms - to the Master. Place on the right side of the Tall Window for Dad to visit with mom and baby. In lieu of more dressers in the room, seating is inviting. Space has a purpose in this new lounge area.

- No cost. Create a make-up area, small bill-paying or writing desk area @ Master Tall Window. This space would have a purpose and be functional.
Move the desk – to front of the window (natural light). Need to add a small chair or bench. You probably have one. Create make-up table - place a table top mirror or use Desk for (bill-paying) or (writing desk). A decorative file storage box with pen/pencil holder or pretty cup and/or a tray for stationary. You probably have something.
Buyers need to know how the space can be used.
- small expense? - (desk accessories? desk chair?) You probably have.

- No cost. Master Smaller Mirror – Move from - left side of the Tall Window to - front door entry wall in place of the art. Place mirror vertically. Add the ½ round table from – Dining Brick wall. Open front door. In the remaining space, place this grouping. The existing art looks lonely. The art here at Entry, moves to the Dining Brick Wall.
This change will create a nice bright welcome at the Entry. It needs some balance on this wall.

NEW MASTER Summary: RE-ARRANGING
* No cost. Reading area
* No cost. 2nd lounge area
* No cost. Writing Desk placement changes
* No cost. Rug change
* No cost. Art changes
* No cost. Mirror changes
Removed Master items – navy rug, smaller mirror, art with round center design, large art at chair space -- all used somewhere else.

***NEW ENTRY door space. Existing ½ table, existing mirror
* No cost.
***NEW LIVING ROOM. No chair, seems larger
* No cost.

*** NEW DINING ROOM Plan
- No cost. Switch out Navy/cream rug with the Dining Rug.
- 1 BAY window - Pillows? (standing upright or 3 colored vases? or planter pots? varying heights. Center the grouping. Multi color pillows? with black or navy? Or large potted plants from your yard?
- Move iron plaque to Entry Door or Master bedroom door
- small expense? pillows, vases, pots. Probably have.

- No cost. 2nd BAY window – Place existing potted plant that is on the basket on top of the small table. … or …your existing plant table with a large colorful vase? (color chosen from the pillows) with tall branches. Add some color on dining table, you probably have something.
- small expense? colorful vase? branches? accessories for dining table?

BOTH BAY Windows and the beamed cathedral ceiling will become great architectural features for the buyers. You’re selling your home, not your decorating.

- No cost. DINING BRICK WALL. Move Master art (round center design) & art from Entry – to brick wall, one above the other, if they fit. Place smaller art close to lamp. Larger piece of art on the bottom. They may move lower into the space and lower than dining table height. Nothing else on the brick wall. Or place any 2 other artworks on the brick wall.
Fills the wall space without furniture. Room seems larger. You’re selling.

NEW DINING ROOM Summary : RE-ARRANGING
* (No cost). NEW look for Dining table - Now has the Navy/cream rug.
* (No cost). NEW Bay Windows. Small expense - You may have.
* (No cost). NEW Brick wall. Existing art from other rooms.
Removed Dining items - No chair, No ottoman, No lamp, No rocker. No basket under the plant. No 1/2 table ( moved to Entry). Iron plaque to new location. It's too large above that art. No star. Not sure if the drape window is center of the wall? No art on either side of draped wall. All items used elsewhere except the basket. Rug Switched with Dining Rug.

KITCHEN is perfect without saying! Great home. Good luck! Again, I apologize.

To: sgausman. I’m sorry it’s so lengthy but you have brand new rooms by RE-ARRANGING what you already have @ virtually NO COST! Whew I’m exhausted. A lot of brain power was used but, I loved the challenge!
5 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 10:53PM
jlbsideas
Paint them!.............lovely home.........but painting the paneling brightens up the whole house.......we have redwood ceilings in our living room and I'm constantly turning on lights.......I love it; my husband cut and installed each board by hand, and it's beautiful, however, if I had my way, after 25 years living with them -- I'd paint them. ;-) Good luck ;-)
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 11:57PM
flgrandma
LB Interiors. Wow, I'm impressed with all the mental work you did. Wish you were my neighbor, I've have you go through my whole house.
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:23AM
wsalinas47
First of all, there is no question, you should paint. If you can remove the paneling all together, that would be great.
I'm including some other suggestions for the rest of the house.
1. Slipcover the chair in the living room. The floral pattern is too busy, and buyers prefer neutral colors.
2. Your master bedroom is huge, and it will look even bigger once you get rid of the paneling. You should take advantage of its large size and put a couple of chairs and a side table by the window and create a reading nook. Place a lamp on the side table to bring even more light. This space could really sell your home.
3. In the bedroom, I suggest you move the black chest under the angled ceiling. Right now, buyers will think that they can not use the space under the angled ceiling because of the lower ceiling height. However, this would be the perfect place for that chest, and it gets rid of that awkward spot.
4. Put up a few mirrors around the house. This will make the rooms appear larger and definitely brighter.
5. I would also take down all the shears and just flank the windows with two nice curtain panels with a striped pattern to make the room appear taller.
6. To create a cozy feeling, add a few pillows to the bed, and you can use a nice pop of color here since your bedding is neutral.
7. Paint the wood beams in your dining room a lighter color. You don't necessarily have to paint them white to make them disappear. I think they add interest, but they would be distracting for a buyer in the color they are now.
8. Put a larger art piece/frame above the buffet in the dining room. The art and wall decoration you have now are too small and make the room feel cheap.
9. Change out the light fixture in the bedroom. Maybe a chandelier. The Home Depot and Lowe's have some nice ones for around $150 or less.
10. Put a chest by the entrance. You have the room, and buyers will know there's a place to put their keys when they come in. It also shows there's room for storage.
11. Is the window ledge in the dining room deep enough for someone to sit? You can put some cushions and show buyers there's seating by the window. If it is not deep enough, you can cut a board of painted plywood a little deeper than the existing ledge and place it on top. Add some pillows or cushions, and it will show more function for the window instead of just placing some small plants.
12. When you have buyers come and see your home, place a vase of fresh flowers on the sofa table in the living room and the dining room table. This will bring in a pop of color and freshness to the spaces.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but even with an updated kitchen, the current state of your home is not enough to entice buyers. Show them the potential of your home. I don't think $1000 is a lot to budget on these improvements since it will definitely pay off in the end.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 5:02AM
sgausman
@LB Interiors - THANK YOU for all the time you spent developing a plan! . I echo flgrandma - I sure wish you were my neighbor!
THanks, also to wsalinas47 for the detailed plan.

I am going to review the comments and start moving furniture! (I had already moved some art/mirrors/ a chest in the MBR, and need to look back at the original pics to see how it was.)

Once I make changes, I'll post updated pics.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 3:04PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks to flgrandma, I wish you were close too. But there's still a way. I can still help you both. Go to my website and send me an email, I'd like that.

Thanks sgausman, I was mainly wanting to save you money. Why decorate this home any further or spend money on new items? if you will be moving? Paint is the least expensive change one can do. Make it the best it can be.

Initially, sgausman wanted ideas to paint or not paint paneling, however she mentioned many times that she has moved her furniture without being real comfortable with it. That tells me something about her having a need to have all her functions for the room and a decorator look also. I try to fulfill all the needs for the client.

Upon seeing the photos that were posted, I felt the rooms were out of wack. Utimately, sometimes a client has to choose the priority for design or will the priority be function. I try to accomodate both.

A seller may want to start over in a new home with new furniture or pare down some of what they already have. I will agree to buying new furniture or buying any new items, only, if the client wants something new for their new home. Then, they haven't wasted any money.

With the proper design vision and knowledge, the right designer can save the client a lot of money. Sometimes, we purchase something if the client desires. It's much easier to design a room when the client has money to work with. It is much, much harder to create a designed and functional room, when there is a small budget.

NO COST for furniture or item changes. How can you beat that? Check out my website. Click on Home Staging. There are great visual differences with using 99% of the client's own items. My neighbor sold their home in two weeks. Another client wanted help. Why was her house on the market for 6 weeks? Answers: The rooms needed re-arranging. It hadn't been updated for 20 years. There was a large accumulation of furniture and things. I also became their therapist for how to get rid of stuff that they didn't want to take to Arizona from California.

They were already building their next home. Wanted to sell. It sold one day after I finished the makeover.
3 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:23PM
Darzy
Wow..LB Interiors and wsalinas47...how very kind of you both to take so much time and thought into your plan(s). WTG HOUZZERS!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:35PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks Darzy, how are you? Caught up in a project here. Houzzing is a deadly sin!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:43PM
sgausman
Update: painting nearly complete. Would love input regarding pillows on bay window. Something feels 'off' - I think I may not be positioning them right. Also- purchased 6 pillows and trying to decide which ones to use. I included a pic of the rug, which has been moved to the dining room.
3 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:16PM
flgrandma
The rug is lovely. I'd use the large pillow with the diamond pattern, the chevron design and the small diamond pillow. The plain pillow is just too, well plain. The other two seem lacking in color.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 1:30PM
sgausman
Flgrandma- like this?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:47PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Yay, I'm so glad you moved the bedroom rug to the dining room. It will help show off your beamed ceiling that is such a great architectural feature.

The pillows ... love them all except the solid navy one. How about all the rest of them (only 5- not 4) on the ledge? Post a pic please. Fills the space, looks and feels cozier. really highlights the window's architecture and large size.

Love your choices of mix and match patterns. Creates a lot of interest without being too busy. Good job.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:50PM
PRO
LB Interiors
P.S. If you aren't taking them to your new home.... If you tape the tags of the pillows, underneath to the fabric, out of site, You may be able to return them within the return policy or at the least, get a store credit.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 1:54PM
sgausman
Wasn't sure whether to put big ones in middle and smaller on ends or mix up
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:55PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks for the pic. Try larger on the outsides and small whiite one in the middle.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:58PM
Jean Tuck
i like the rms with opportunity for window seats, iron looking chandilier looking fixtures, and light seating areas.Can trim outthose areas in plain drapes, patterned centre rugs, in co ordinating color choices and allows opportunity for updates fairly inexpensively.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
LB Interiors
May try the placement with the white in the middle - flat to window, 2 left pillows angled to the center. Reverse the angle of the 2 right side pillows and direct them to the center?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:02PM
sgausman
How's this?
4 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:07PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, You did it - I really like it. How about you? Did you happen to see the comment above re: returning pillows if you don't take with you?
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:10PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think you could also place them (as they are) but a little flatter to the space, still overlapping each other slightly, as a bench back feeling.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:12PM
sgausman
Yes, I did see the comment about returning them. Thanks.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:23PM
PRO
LB Interiors
You're very welcome!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:25PM
Beth Jay
Paint the paneling the same color as the walls.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:29PM
frenchcountrystyle
Paint the paneling...It will make a huge difference!
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:36PM
nononanna
Looking so good! Have you had any visits?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:40PM
Grace Reed
Wow, this is the 2nd time that I've seen someone stage their home via Houzzers! It really works!
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 2:51PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, Grace, it really does! I suggest, don't buy anything unless you need it for your new home or can return upon the sale. Small changes and expeditures can go a very long way. It's wise and less expensive to only update that which is necessary and will definately appeal to the buyers more. Only try to sell your home and it's great features. Not the decorating.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:56PM
PRO
LB Interiors
sgausman, the other bay window can have 3 potted plants in various heights. They should probably be quite large. Not too small. This will bring attention to the other side of the dining room and the beautiful bay. Don't need any furniture in front. Two great architectural features of this room! Actually three, counting the beautiful cathedral beamed ceiling!

Balances the room nicer.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:04PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Other easy items to switch out are: the two end tables at your living room sofa. Trade places. The round one works and feels more comfortable for entering the hallway, if placed on the left side.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:19PM
Kim D
Hi, I sold real estate for eight years, so here goes....don't worry about painting the paneling in the bedroom, take up rug in living room, clear out stuff under end table in living room, get fresh new pillows in living room, take up rug in bedroom and get bright colorful comforter in bedroom, take out 50% of stuff out of each room including wall pic, remove all family pics. Take out all small tables white one in bedroom and black one in dining room with two lamps. You have already done a great job prepping for your sale....good luck.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:30PM
Jean Tuck
i would like all walls to be same shade of beige, the ceiling whte, even the wood all of it would be same as rest of walls, all troms white , white sheers unless you wanted a colorful spread the drapes plain color from spread, and plain rug.
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 3:44PM
janishill
I'm glad you took my advice about moving the rug. I would like to see pictures of the entire dining room and the bedroom now that you have updated.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 7:55PM
sgausman
@janishill - I'll take some pics and post soon. It's better, much better. I love the rug in the DR - what a difference!
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 5:41AM
janishill
Glad you like it. The graphic rug helps to balance the ceiling.

If you like we can go one room at a time to get it staged. :-) I have helped severaal Houzzers do this and all the houses have sold very quickly.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 6:18AM
PRO
LB Interiors
@janishill, I'm sorry for repeating the two rugs switch-out. I didn't see that posted when I was composing my comment. I would have mentioned you.
0 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 9:47AM
janishill
LB..that plus a couple of other thoughts, but no worries. Usually I help people stage in small increments so they do not become overwhelmed or confused. :-)
1 Like   February 11, 2013 at 1:39PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks janishill, it took me awhile to write my comments. It was a bit lengthy. Guess we are on the same wavelength.
2 Likes   February 11, 2013 at 1:54PM
sgausman
Thanks for all the comments - @janishill- I'm adding pics of the other 2 bedrooms - as shown on the multi-list. Help appreciated. We will have another open house 2/24 - so I have a window of opportunity to make changes. We made a contingency offer on another house - with a 48 hour first right of refusal. Just found out tonight from our realtor that the sellers are going to receive another offer in the next day or two. We'll need to decide whether to remove contingency (yikes!) or let it go, if they find the second offer appealing.... talk about stress....

Both of the other bedrooms have lots of closets. I'll take pictures and post later. We had been using the boys' bedroom (twin beds) as our BR, so you'll notice the chandelier...I am not inclined to swap it out. The ceiling in the MBR is too low to put there, and it's rather nice - a buyer might just like it. (It's West Elm, I bought at the outlets for a few bucks... deal of the century.)
0 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 6:58PM
sgausman
Wall color in daughter's room is BM Philadelphia Cream. Wall color in boys' room is BM - In Your Eyes (pale blue - cannot tell at all from pic.)
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:00PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Love these rooms. Girl's room. May want to remove doll stuff, calandar on the wall and maybe the chair? for showing the house. Maybe move the bookshelf unit away from the other wall, center it in that wall space. Adjust three pics. Great job. Really nice.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:12PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Boys' room - may want to try the twin beds on the same wall? where the dresser is? Place the night stand between. They can be quite close to each other. Place the dresser catycornered at the right side of the window area in the corner near the window. I hope the beds fit that way? What is on the wall facing the dresser?

Maybe place the large artworks over each of the beds.
1 Like   February 12, 2013 at 7:17PM
janishill
Hi sgausman. Let's see if we can get your house sold then!

I like both the Philadelphia Cream and the IYE blue.

I bet your daughter feels like a princess in her room...but this is a "less is more" situation, so here goes: Remove the etagere, the chair, and the 3 pictures hanging above the chair, as well as the doll/bench, the calendar, the large pillow at the foot of her bed and the corner book shelf (left of bed) to your storage facility. The decorative whatever they are hanging in the corner detract from the chandy, so they need to go into storage as well.

The two pictures above her bed might work better on the side of the room we can't see in the pictures.

Again, to help neutralize the space you might want to flip her comforter to the other side for the open house. Take everything off the top of her dresser and the book shelf to the right of her bed. Set a little bouquet of flowers int he center of the dresser when you have open house.

The sheers don't come over quiet enough. You can either move the rods over a tad to allow the sheers to cover the window frame completely...or purchase plain white panels and hang them high and wide, I think simple panels would look better. Right now my eye is drawn to the heating/cooling unit (or whatever that is directly under the window)

Let's make your sons room look like a guest room. Turn beds so they are either side of the window with the bedside table between them. Do you have a small table lamp you could put on it?

Hang one picture directly over each bed; about 18" - 20" up. Prop the bed pillows against the wall. Purchase a couple of matching throw pillows in a fun print to put on the beds. It would be great if you find throw pillows and lamp all in a similar shade as the wall color.

Put the picture that is over his chest of drawers in storage. Hang a mirror there instead. Put a small green plant (peace lily in bloom is a good one) on the chest. Keep it plain and simple.

I wish we could see the other walls in both rooms. Do you have updated pictures of the other rooms yet?

HAve all your windows been cleaned inside and out? That is huge! It will make the entire house sparkle.

How does your front door/porch/entrance look? You only have one chance to make a first impression and that will be made before they get out of the car!
2 Likes   February 12, 2013 at 8:52PM
sgausman
Here is dr update. Still need tray for wine. I can't believe I don't have one! Will look at home goods. I am not sure about table centerpiece. Something seems unfinished on table. I don't live the look of always having table set. To me, it seems as though you'll end up eating off dusty plates!

Did not hang a pic above half moon table- will do that this week. Also may just remove ugly sconce and put a plate over if we cannot find one to coordinate with main light. This was an exterior wall - yes, dining room was an addition in the 1970s.
5 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:40AM
dianahb
Wow-- I hadn't checked in here for a while. What a transformation with the dining room. I love the rug there, too. Wasn't that in the bedroom before? Very nice. Did you ever paint the ceiling beams?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:39AM
dagrmast
I'm a big fan of natural wood tones. Sorry to disagree with everyone, but maybe sand and bleach the paneling. Or keep it same, and spend on some nice lighting.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 5:47AM
Patsy Shearer
Do you want to sell your house? Paint the paneling, most people are not visual. It will make the room look bigger.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 5:53AM
lovliny
I recently sold my house in a "down market" and worried about a completely paneled bedroom becoming a problem for potential buyers. We were exhausted getting the house ready for sale and by the time we reached this room, we had no more energy left to paint the panelling. We decided to leave it as is. The surprise was that none of the prospects looking at our house had an issue with it. We had turned it into an office and all I did was add one bright picture and some matching pillows on the chairs. What really sold our house? Cleanliness. Every room was immaculate with clean windows, open drapes and plenty of light. Every light in your house should be on when you sell.
2 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 6:04AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Paint the paneling, it is hard for a lot of potential buyers to see past paneling. However, if it's painted, it will be less intrusive. Good luck!
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:05AM
DJames
The dining room is looking fantastic! One thing I would suggest is to definitely change out the light on the wall. As it stands, it looks like the original porch light, which make the room scream addition. It doesn't need to be matchy matchy with the chandelier but something with similar bling. And with that being done the room will defiantly be a gem to this home! I'm looking forward to seeing your bedroom pics.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 6:30AM
lessismoore
Still keeping an eye on this ;-) Thanks for the confirmation on the DR addition, it did have me wondering ... Definitely - replace the "porch" light with a more interior type sconce. Or do you even need a light there? Maybe just remove and cover with a painting?
As far as the dining table top goes - I agree with not doing a full table setting. You are staging your house, but that look so very "staged." And yes, one thinks of a dusty meal!
Just thinking out loud. What about some cut crystal bowls/vases on a Navy blue runner? Perhaps flanking a larger central vase with (or even without) forsythia or something flowery in the center?
I'm trying to think of something that will tie into your chandelier, in keeping with the crystal pendants. I'm sure you can get a lot of good ideas for a centerpiece arrangement. Here are some "idea" pix to get it started.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 8:51AM
lessismoore
houzz=

Not a dining room set up in pix, but a mass arrangement of similar items looks great.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Great progress. I'm also glad that you removed the iron piece above the art. Rug looks great. I knew it most likely would, to tie in the beams. Can you take a full view of the beams with the changes below? The pillow arrangement really shows off the bay and the plants are enough at the other bay. Good job.

I like the idea of crystal or glass accents from 'lessismore' on the table. The chandelier needs something to work with visually. It needs to be noticed. Maybe place a large glass or silver platter/tray as a base for the crystal items to help anchor the grouping? Nice changes.

I would remove the half table and add one long rectangular artwork or two smaller ones on top of each other. I feel that wall needs no furniture. Keeps the pathway clear and the room would seem larger.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 11:22AM
flgrandma
I'd switch out the current sconce for something similar to the lamps on your buffet. You probably wouldn't want anything too fancy on the brick wall, but not an outdoor fixture either.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 11:26AM
sgausman
At homegoods- what do you think of table runner? This is the only one w/ navy they have...
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:38PM
DJames
I don't think it fits well with your pillow fabric styles. What do they have in the way of a cream or white?
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:42PM
sgausman
I have a plain white pottery barn table runner one at home
3 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:46PM
judianna20
Please, paint. It wasn't pretty in the 50's and it is not pretty now. I am with you all the way.

1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 3:50PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I love the navy printed runner. Would add color to table top and be a nice base for crystal accessories. I think it works great with pillows, adds more interest and cohesion. Adds that extra color to scheme. Plain white runner will work too.
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:54PM
lessismoore
That's a beautiful paisley but ... no. Let's see the white one :-)
0 Likes   February 13, 2013 at 3:54PM
janishill
Just wanted to wish you all the best with your open house this weekend!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 1:15PM
cwalbrun19
Paint the paneling, but also, paint the walls and include the angled parts. I have done this serveral times and I promise you, it makes such a world of difference in the way the space feels. It makes it seem like fuctional wall space instead of ceiling space that is closing in on you.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 1:26PM
flgrandma
If the choice is between the paisley and a white table runner, choose the white.
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
boysaboys
it is me again and I feel I need to give my two cents worth because you are spending money when it is not necessary. I feel bad you are running out to places like homegoods, whatever it is called and buying stuff that is just not necessary. Runner for the table, if you don't have one, they you don't have one, forget it.......just not important. Those pillows in the dining room bay window...not necessary and way too many. I want you to think about that window.....and how pretty it is with that amazing view outside. Those, crazy, non matching pillows which i am sorry to say, and i am being honest for a reason, they look cheap, and 5 is too many for the space - if you must place pillows there, then place one, pick the large one on the right, and leave it at that. The attention drawn there is not for the best, that opening at the bottom with the dark latches is not something you want to draw attention to. Where are you located? Perhaps staging is different there. I am in the San Francisco area and do a lot of this. You want to draw attention to areas that have architectural interest for example. But, it will not stop a sale on your home however you decide - it is just unnecessry clutter. I do suggest that you take the two end chairs away and just use the four but spread them out a bit or, use the four around the table. Now, you might think, oh, that table is way too big for just four, but, this is staging, and it will give the appearance of a bigger room, Trust me on that one. If you have a leaf in the table, remove it. So, no need to stress over the small stuff, a really clean house, with fresh flowers, candles lit in bedrooms, bathrooms, real plants, no fakes, will add enough. You know you can buy plants at Home Depot and if they die or don't do well, you can take them back and replace them ? They do that. For the dining room table, I know it is simple, but can be tricky too, what is the most impact for your buck,? Flowers are expensive. However you can choose a great vase, and go outside and pick loads of fresh greens off of bushes, trees, etc and add one simple flower down the center, get something fragrant and that will last one week. i.e. asian lily.

Now for the other two bedrooms. The girls room has got to be dismantled, just like others have said. Take down the valance over the windows in both rooms. Remove all stuffed toys and the calendar that is on the wall. place the beds side by side in boys room with a small table between and remove just about everything else. The idea here to is make the rooms appear larger. Remember do not think personal taste here, and, it does not matter if they are functional, that does not come in to play. The quilts are drab. Find inexpensive quilts that are boy related. But, you can only use them for show, they cannot be used for sleeping, sorry, but that is the way it is. Brand new, remove quilt each time you go to bed. Shams should never be slept on. A few boys toys off to one side in the "boys" room and some girly stuff in the girls room i.e. staging toys. When you enter a bedroom the beds are the first thing you notice, therefore, they need to look good and also be clean.

Remember this, if the bones of your house is good, as well as the location, then you need to do minimal. If it is noisy outside for instance, then play music at open houses. Please remember to burn perhaps in the dining room, a scented candle but nothing sweet. Are there animals, then, do whatever it takes to remove the smell, and don't say there isn't one, because all animals have a scent and it is usually guests that notice it the most.

Bottom line, if it does not have a function in the room,....then remove it ! Stand in the doorway of each room, look in, and ask yourself does this "item" really need to be here. Stark is what you need to be thinking. Prospective buyers will think large open rooms when they look.

Sorry, to throw all this at you, but i know you are trying to sell and i just want to give my feedback. Forgive me for saying, but - DO NOT go ahead with the offer on the other house without having this one sold. You do not want to be in a situation where you have to give this home away. Cash is king ! Remember that. and - Stress is not good for a body ! All the very best. This is my last post you will be happy to hear.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 8:17PM
sgausman
Thanks for all the help. Open house is this week, so we have been busy with additional coats of paint in MBR (two coats of kilz and two of paint, with a brush, to get in nooks and crannies...) I will post pics as soon as art is hung, and sconces and ceiling light have been replaced.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:21PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm looking forward to your new house pics.
2 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 6:56PM
lessismoore
Best wishes!
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:09PM
auroracanby
Wow what a lot of thoughtful responses! Just to confuse the issue, my reaction was don't paint -- the wood's going to be somebody's favorite thing. But I'd balance it (& wall color) with a much more colorful bedspread -- medium but bright blue or green.
0 Likes   February 18, 2013 at 10:28PM
violinist3713
Definitely paint the paneling hands down.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:42PM
viennalopez
I think it would look much more updated painted!! And it will give it a clean look :) which looks good in pictures and to buyers!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
Urban Ideas Inc.
please, do so.....
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:56PM
judianna20
sg, how did the Open House go? Any prospects? Market is weird right now. Don't get discouraged and don't let anyone low-ball you. :>)
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:19PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Wishing you good luck!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:38PM
sgausman
Judyg, open house is this coming Sunday. DH is out of town for a few days this week, I've taken the opportunity to clean out (again!) the junk drawer in the kitchen (the stuff BREEDS!) and the linen closet. Also moved the boys' beds, as suggested last week, moved art on their wall, patched holes, and am ready to touch up paint, if needed. Last night we hung a mirror over my dresser and are trying to get the MBR ready to stage... will thoroughly CLEAN top to bottom on Saturday....
4 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:59PM
Darzy
Good luck! Bake cookies the morning of...it makes the house smell "like home".:)
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:52PM
joffler
I hope the paneling gets painted. Painted paneling lends a cheerful cottage feel to your house. Unpainted paneling lends a rustic cabin feel to it. As a buyer, I'd prefer to give my family a cheerful cottage to live in.

Also, take a look at the room again. White walls, brown paneling. And that brown wedge where the paneling meets the sloping ceiling? It's visual tension. Painting the paneling would soften that visual tension considerably and offer the new homeowners a more restful and serence retreat. That big brown dagger formed by the brown paneled wedge kills any notion of restful slumber.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:00PM
lessismoore
And be sure to Post updated photos (in all your spare time - LOL) BEFORE you sell that house (which, may be sooner than you think, we hope!)
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 10:08PM
sgausman
Sneak peek of MBR- new sconces will be installed, I need to adjust curtain height- because of rod type, it can't be moved any higher...may just hem them. I think the air conditioner blends in much better. Also, need to remove family pic from desk....
9 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:09AM
Lady Von
@SG - WOW! What a difference. It looks beautiful! Very nice! Cha-ching, cha-ching at the open house!
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:37AM
mainstreetschool
If you put wood rods in the MBR and hang sheers from second channel, you will get them off the floor without raising the rod. Great transformations throughout. Maybe just a punch more color in accent pillows in MBR. Hope for a quick sale!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:31AM
janishill
Wow! What a difference. It looks light and bright; inviting. And as I had thought, that rug suites the bedroom much better. Overall the MBR looks great, but a couple of tweaks can take it a level higher.

The hardware on the storage areas is not a feature. It would be better if it blended into the background, so give it a coat of the white paint.

Center the little writing desk under the window. Push the curtains to each side and raise the blinds (when you have the open house) There seems to be a baby picture on the desk. Put it in a drawer somewhere.

Take everything off the top of your dresser except the candlesticks. Add a small bouquet of flowers to the right hand side.

You still need to cover the air conditioner. Either a tall (live) ficus tree or a piece of art work. Potential buyers aren't thinking about air conditioning right now. They are thinking heat. :-)

Add a new white throw pillow to the wing chair. The existing pillow doesn't do a thing for the space. Cheap way to make the room feel inviting. While you are at it add a couple of new pillows to your bed to make it all work together.

I don't think your scones have to be replaced. I think you could spray paint them white for a cheap update.

Go through your photo albums, select pictures of your house and yard during all seasons. Have them enlarged to the same size, pop them in frames and hang them in your hallway or another well light area. This might give you a little edge over the next house.

Remember you are depersonaling your space You want your house to be like a hotel; anyone can walk in and feel comfortable. Having said that you need to remove the books from the bottom shelf of the little table beside the chair in the MBR. They are just clutter. Leave one; a book of poetry or about gardening. Something anyone might read. And as several of us have already stated remove all family photos. Anything that remotely identifies who lives there.

Be sure to bake those cookies, put a pineapple dining room table for a cheap centerpiece. A bowl of lemons on the kitchen counter, no air freshener of any kind. Use vanilla essential oil instead. Put a drop on light bulbs while the light is turned off! Turn every light in the house on. Use brighter bulbs than you normally use. Raise all blinds, open all curtains. Empty closets of off-season clothing and organize them to demonstrate the most efficient use of space. Leave as few items on the floor or shelves as possible. Close toilet seats. Have a pot of yellow flowers by the main entrance. Speaking of...put a vase of flowers on the back of the toilet, on the dresser, on a side table in the living room. Everywhere that needs just a little something. Try to find those that have the least scent. Remember some people are much more sensitive to scents/smells/ordors than others. Invest in a new doormat that says “Welcome.”

Can't wait to hear how it went!
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:31AM
mainstreetschool
Also, Addams soft throw to the reading chair. That would be inviting.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:32AM
lessismoore
If baking cookies seems like too much on the day, try heating some apple juice/cider on the stove with some cinnamon sticks and just leave it on a simmer. You can always just set out a plate of (store bought) cookies.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:43AM
boysaboys
I totally agree with everything janishill says. A non sweet fragrant candle will do wonders near the front door, i.e. ocean breeze scent, or lavender as examples. You have worked hard and I wish you all the best of luck.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:11PM
janishill
boysaboys...I am allergic to ocean breeze.

I only recommnd vanilla because I have never heard of anyone being allergic to it. Never heard of anyone being allergic to the smell of cookies or bread either. Hint: buy premade dough, pop in preheated oven, turn oven off. leave house.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 4:48AM
dhankins00
Honestly the room looks broken up and dark. I would paint the pine the lightest color then the other walls a shade darker. I think your room will look open and large, not to mention soothing. Look at neutral colors in the cream shades.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:28AM
dhankins00
Sorry I didn't see your photos of after until I posted my last comment.they were slow to populate :-(......your room turned out so much better.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:32AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Very nice. Looks great, bright and fresh!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:56PM
sgausman
Dining room - 80%- open house tomorrow- any advice?? What do you think of pic resting on half moon table? Colors seem to coordinate in real life. Also, we may just remove and put a plate over spot where the sconce is.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:16AM
feeny
I think it is looking fabulous! But the picture on the demilune table looks too large and not in the style of the room. For an open house think minimalist. No picture. Maybe a bowl on the table at most.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:19AM
sgausman
Boys room - will add pix with lights on later- dh turned off electricity to change light in MBR-is this better? I know tv is hideous.... If I change comforters, any advice on what to look for??
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 8:19AM
Jayme H.
Wow..what a cute house! Maybe fresh flowers in a colorful vase on table?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:21AM
Jayme H.
Maybe a second pillow on each bed with a more colorful pillow case...? Cheap fix..
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 8:36AM
Lady Von
SG - Hi! Things look great! For the boys room, I would turn down the comforters (if the sheets are matching). That would break up some of that brown. I agree with Feeny about the picture in the dining room. It seems a tad too large for that table but honestly, at this point if that picture is a deal-breaker in selling your house then the buyer has issues. Your house has come a long way. It looks really nice. I wish you all the best tomorrow!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 8:36AM
sgausman
Daughter's room. Removed shelves. Family of stuffed animals will be on vacation for open house...
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:40AM
janishill
Much better, but still some tweaks:

Return picture, find long skinny picture or metal art, remove scone, hang skinny picture or metal art.

Remove candlesticks and green candles. Leave teh divider empty. Remember less is more. The more places you have that are empty the more spacious your house is going to feel.

Remove erverything from tops of both of sons chest of drawers. Add colorful shams and prop pillows against wall so they look inviting. Tyr to find something that pulls the orange,golds and blues from the pictures. The brown is overwhelming and leaves the felling very room blah. It would be great if you could find shams and valances that match. Even a bed skirt. Remove TV and center toy chest under window.

It looks like a baby picture on your daughters dresser. Put it away. Also the clothes hanging on the end o fthe bed. Just leave teh green throw pillow

NO family photos at all anywhere.. Only books that everyone or anyone would read. Non by your favorite author. Only poetry, classics and/ or encyclopedias are acceptable.

Hope you get 4 offersa dn a bidding war ensues!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:08AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Great job- very nice!
Some thoughts: Dining room is perfect.
Demi lune table - no pic - take a vase and very tall branches from the yard or tree. Spray paint branches (white)

Boy's room - pic #2, center the chest from the corner of the wall to the window frame, Put TV on this chest where red lamp is.
Pic #3 - Other chest (no TV) - pic - move both in the center of that wall. Maybe place the bed pillows a little higher on the wall, at a tilt. Add some accent pillows. Move the trunk under the window in the center.

Girl's room - flip the comforter to the solid color, No animals, just pillows. Nothing hanging on the footboard posts. Good job
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:23AM
boysaboys
You have done a lovely job and i wish you the best of luck. Air out the rooms well. When i was selling our home right before open houses i would load my car up with laundry baskets, robes that hang on the back of doors, etc. TV in boys room - if you could remove it, maybe just set it on the closet floor. I know it is probably quite heavy. Def go out and purchase two twin or full comforters for the boys room. you don't have to like them, they can go back next week but get bright boy ones for tomorrow. I would remove that little black table altogether and take the wall light down and hang anything you have to hide the exposed wiring. Anything but a family pic. if there is no time to shop then hang the one you have there, you can always return it later. Any size pic will work if the black table is gone. Good Luck !
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:38AM
houssaon
Good luck with the open house.

I would ask the realtor to take new pictures! When I sold my parents house, the realtor that listed it took the picture on a cloudy day, while another who didn't get the listing had taken the picture on a bright sunny day. I always regretted not asking my listing agent to take a new picture.

They should accommodate your request, since you have done so much work.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:42AM
Darzy
Woohooo! Looking really good. I do love that painting on the table but agree with feeny it doesn't quite work here. Maybe in the girls room?
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:27AM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
It is wonderful to see what you have done to your home. There are so many comments since last I have seen it and SOOO much change. I really don't have much to add, and this may or may not have already been addressed. I would add a lamp with a white/or offwhite as seems best, linen shade on the night stand between the beds and a matching one on the dresser top. When I did open houses, I found buyers are attracted to the rooms with lighting, and linen lamp shades always look soft and inviitng. Do the same on the dresser of the girls room

A note, in the master bedroom, I suggest putting a white/natural white pillow on the chair with the, was it a blue pillow? to tie it in with the bedding and window treatments..

Wow these houzzers have absolutely, along with yourself of course, made a fabulous metamorphosis of this home. GREAT!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:28PM
nikitasmom
All of the changes have really enhanced the place. Good luck on the open house.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:03PM
nononanna
Don't forget to turn on every light in the house for the open house, and put a lemon or two down the disposal right before people come in. It looks great.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:28PM
sgausman
MBR - painted and almost ready. Still must hem curtains, which won't take long. Also must paint hinges on storage areas
7 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:32PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Wow - This MBR is so bright and spacious. What a GREAT transformation.
Maybe a couple of things that won't cost you anything ........
MBR - #1 pic above. Maybe move the candlesticks and basket toward the horizontal center of the dresser top. Not pushed against the mirror.
Move end table lengthwise to the reading chair and bring forward, not against the wall. It should feel like it is with the chair and not attached to the wall. Add three books on the chair side table. Maybe no art on desk in #2 pic. Looks like you're trying to hide something and buyers will want a look see, even if you think it's not a great view. So glad you moved the desk under the window. Love what you've done!
Here's a sketch below:

1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 4:40PM
janishill
Love that the surface areas are cleaned off, the throw on the chair and the blue ribbon pillow. Try proping your bed pillows against the headboard (like in the attached picture) and turning the open end of the pillow cases toward the center.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 7:10PM
sgausman
I wanted to thank everyone who offered help...I am really humbled by all the advice houzzers were willing to give! Open house was yesterday. Unfortunately, I have no info to share. Realtor is out of town and send a substitute to Open House sit...she left a note saying,"Thanks for letting me show your wonderful home." Our realtor generally leaves a note indicating # people who came, feedback/comments on house, and insight (such as "3 of the couples are actively looking, one has a house to sell"). I may call the office to find out what I can. Not sure when realtor is returning from vacation. I thought he was coming back in time for the open house, so I was a bit surprised to see a note from someone else. That said, the house BY FAR looks 100% better than it did....thanks to the great advice from you all!
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 4:10AM
yytcm
I am so disappoiinted for you that your realtor sort of abandoned you without notice. A good realtor is so very important and that could be a whole 'nother post. Hopefully, though, after all your immensely hard work and the wonderful results, the perfect "ladyvon" already visited your beautiful home during the open house and is even now working on an offer. Good, good luck and here's hoping your next post is a great big YES!!!!!!!!!
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 7:14AM
mainstreetschool
Good luck to you in selling your home!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:36AM
ldjohnny
This house is very nice. I would buy it. You did a great job updating it. I'll admit the darker paneling would have deterred me a bit, but it looks great. My suggestion for the boys room, if you do not want to buy new comforters, is just to tuck in the comforters under the mattress so it looks clean and crisp.Try running an iron over them, too, before a showing, if the material allows it, or pop them in the dryer for a few minutes to get wrinkles out.
I am inspired by your project and look forward to my own. :) Good Luck.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 7:55AM
boysaboys
I hope you are still hanging in there. Sorry the open house was a disapointment, what with your realtor being gone etc , but, remember it just takes one to love your place ! Don't get discouraged. It is exhausting having to have everything so perfect all the time. You have done so much work - I know it will pay off in the end. When I was selling - I used our outdoor grill a lot - just to keep the kitchen and stove clean :) Keep the front door looking good with cheap annuals and I would buy smellie flowers for the inside for each open house, but just use one in a room. i.e. oriental lillies are awesome as are tubor rose. One of those in a bathroom is all it takes along with the natural greenery from outside. Just wanted to check in.
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 8:16PM
janishill
Have you spoken to your realtor? When will you have another open house?
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 6:19AM
sgausman
Next open house is 3/24. We're working on curb appeal right now....(I started another thread about that, if you're interested in seeing progress.)
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 7:14AM
sgausman
Any suggestions for the fireplace and staging it for our open house? I am concerned about tv wires.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 4:36PM
flgrandma
You can get white wires which wouldn't be so obvious.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 6:05PM
boysaboys
okay, so what i would do is unplug the TV and hide the wires behind it. Now you need to up the mantle a bit. I don't remember when the open house is, but, any garage sale or craigslist that has some great pots to sell. You should find two large ceramic pots and put two plants in them and take away the candles (too small) and from the other side, - the greenery will soften up the look. Remove what is on the hearth on the left, actually both sides. Remove what is on top of the bookcases. If you get the greenery for either side of the TV it will soften it up a lot, and no worries that they partly cover the TV, Take the bird statue and place it beside one of the pots on the mantle - nothing else needed. Remove the firescreen and place if you can find them oak logs, or whatever logs you can find, or large pine cones, something to fill the black hole, and make sure there are no ashes there. The pics by the bookcases are too enemic so if time permits and perhaps you have something......a large colorfull pic just leaning on the bookcases, or two leaning, close together. Not important that they match, you are just filling up the white space. Take the "dog" and place it beside the left bookcase on the left. The idea is not to draw too much attention to the fireplace. But, that is the focal point , so make it a large appearance with cheap plants.
Find a cheap large basket for the fireplace that you can place wood logs in, again, it is all about appearance, or, leave it empty. The hearth looks nice, no need for the small stuff. If you have a home depot near you, i would go get to large orchids and place them on the fireplace - simbideums, are good prob did not spell them correctly, but they are large, last for ages, and make a statement..... all the best.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 7:23PM
nikitasmom
You could paint your cable white so it blends in. I would remove items from top of bookcases. Move items from right side of mantle to left side. Play with 3 smaller objects for right side. Put dog into the right bookcase to brighten it up. Pictures aren't bad but a bit off with one frame so slender and light compared to the tv thick frame matching the thick frame to the right. Do you have any others available to work with around the house?
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 7:53PM
PRO
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I like the wood stairway painted white with stained treads
0 Likes   May 29, 2014 at 9:11AM
PRO
LB Interiors
This is a very OLD DILEMMA.
0 Likes   May 30, 2014 at 1:06PM