Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Moving into new apartment
skylinewater
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is there any way to make a cookie-cutter living room more interesting?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
skylinewater
Is there anything more interesting than placing a couch facing the tv unit??
February 2, 2013 at 5:44am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Depends on how much TV you want to watch. A posting by Carolyn Albert-Kinci discusses creating seating areas with different focuses by using back to back sofas or furniture groupings. Search her discussions to find this post and I hope it helps!
February 2, 2013 at 6:31am   
PRO
Little Redstone Inc.
you could hang the tv on the other wall just past the entrance to the bedroom. Place a chair on the right side off the kitchen entrance and a couch backing the kitchen wall. Then put some type off eating area by the window. File in where the tv was to go with more glass shelves and art pieces. Good luck
February 2, 2013 at 6:42am   
Glori DeJure
Actually, it's a beautiful space with a lot of potential. Use an area rug to define your seating space, and arrange your furniture on the rug to make it cozy.
It's all a matter or personal taste, but there are so many ways to make those shelves interesting and fun.
Here's a couple ideas.
I love the rattan shades in one photo. They're great for renters who want to soften a large window, but don't want to spend a lot of money. You can usually buy them right off the shelf at Lowes.
February 2, 2013 at 6:58am   
skylinewater
WOW! Glori, I love both those ideas! I was going to put two extra dining room arm chairs under the window with a small (32") round table for eating by myself. (Like the attached photo, but much smaller) I never thought of putting those chairs in front of the wall unit, facing the couch. Then I could add one arm chair with ottoman to complete a conversation area.Thanks so much!
February 2, 2013 at 7:49am   
skylinewater
So, Little Redstone, are you suggesting I use the former dining area as part of the living room and move the dining room set under the window in the living room? Here is a view of my apartment from the other end, but that is the former owner's furniture:
February 2, 2013 at 7:52am   
PRO
Little Redstone Inc.
Yes. you could use the existing unit for a nice piece of art in place of the tv. You could put a nice reading chair where the table is now and still see the tv. I think when you come in the space it will help having the table by the window.
February 2, 2013 at 8:16am