Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sunroom wall paint?
Leona N
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the 12x12 sunroom being added off family room. There will be French doors (substituted for the sliding glass doors) to patio. I am recovering a love seat and peacock chair from the Philippines (wicker) in these fabrics. Love the beachy, nautical feel without being too obvious. Will have white plantation shutters. A palm leaf ceiling fan, antiqued bronze. Thoughts on paint theme?
Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joannr
What color are the rest of the walls in your home painted? I would use a white shade. Lovely room!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 7:01AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It is really a great room. I agree about the white..I would choose the off white in the fabric for the walls. I would also paint the ceiling the lightest blue in the flowers of the fabric. I lived in Charleston, SC for 20 years, and we often did a blue on ceilings in sunrooms, porches, and verandas. Add a great seagrass rug, and another accent color, a green or yellow, OK and maybe red. For window treatments, consider lined woven wood Roman shades. Please don't go over the top with sea shells, etc. Another great accent idea is framed nautical flags..it adds great color pops and a jumping off point to finding an accent color. A blue chambray on a chair would also look good.
5 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:32AM
Leona N
Hmmmm, Roman shades? I think I've had my heart set on something like this.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:33AM
Leona N
Of course, I also need to figure out if I should do anything over the French door....?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:34AM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
white sheer:)))
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 8:51AM
Leona N
Nadia...nice idea, light and airy. I might have privacy concerns until we put pool and fence up though...backyard corners to another backyard. Would hate for someone to watch us from out back.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:59AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Shutters are great, see about wider slats, that way there are less hard lines...and on the door, you could do a fabric, simple panels, mounted very high and off the glass.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:00AM
kobley
If you get shutters you might want to consider the ones with the rod on the back. It's a nice clean look.
On your French doors there is a product that is a very thin pleated shade that you manually raise and lower. It attaches on each door and is hardly noticeable when raised. Wall colors...pale blue, cream, or white with blue ceiling. You could even do cream with pale blue ceiling then your woodwork would really stand out. Nice room!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:57PM
Leona N
Went to a home show yesterday and did see the shutters with the rod in back....I determined I like the "traditional" look of them in front. But I did see (and realize..thank you Barbara) the various slat sizes and what a difference that makes...as well as the moulding.
GREAT idea regarding the nautical flags. We sail, and it's a perfect idea and way to add color! You rock Barbara! ;)
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:36AM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
then i'm on the same page with Barbara:)))
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 5:43AM
marshadraskovich
Beautiful room. I might consider covering the ceiling with breadboard and agree painting it a soft blue picked up from the fabric. Walls a soft off- white. What's the flooring going to be? White plantation shutters a must and agree with accents of red.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:25AM
dorphil
I like a bold yellow..i think this color looks great with blues and whites..also cheerful for sunroom..
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:33AM
Leona N
Flooring all hardwood on the first floor. Kitchen flows to breakfast area, flows to family room, into sunroom. French doors off breakfast area and another set of French doors off sunroom. They are about 90 degree angle to each other, and lead to outside. Considering a unifying patio to both doors....
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:59AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Thank you for your kind words. Please post completed room pictures..I am dying to see it all done.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:13AM
nevadan
I would use the right shade of yellow - get it - SUN room.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Plantaiton shutters would look great on these windows.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 5:08PM
babiesinbloom
I love a yellow and navy sunroom.
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:52AM
babiesinbloom
Also you could paint the walls a very airy sage green.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:53AM
PRO
Nancy Sanford, Inc.
a soft beautiful sweet yellow
2 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:54AM
pegjustpeg
Remember this is year old post! :)
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 11:54AM
Leona N
Yes, but just today I had the pendant lights hung over my kitchen island. (Kitchen designer and electrician both found on via Houzz...great!) It's taken a while for the house to be built! We are still settling in. Also bought (today) a beautiful blue pot for the majesty palm I have placed in the sunroom. Did refinish the love seat, but fabric shown in original pics was discontinued by the time I was able to order.
Long story short, I will post new pictures. Still need to paint the room!
I appreciate the suggestions, and whomever discovered this to "bring it back". ;)
1 Like   February 20, 2014 at 6:21PM
abbyjean
Gosh.....glad you came back AND would love love love to see your updates!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Leona N    February 20, 2014 at 6:45PM
pegjustpeg
Yay! That must be the reasoning behind placing old posts on page again! Perfect timing, Leona. Know you will receive the best ideas here! Best to you.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 6:50PM
Lynnie
I am sure that it will be lovely no matter which way you go with the wall color. I have 3 suggestions;

1, Aqua (a medium tone) It goes quite well with the darker blue and brings in more of the tropical look. You could also add some pop with touches of orange or coral by using pillows and throws.
2. Off white. This is what I think of in a Sunroom because it adds so much freshness while allowing the other colors to shine. By using off white rather than pure white it will not clash with your tan colors. For instance in the fan.
3. Go with that same beige or tan that is in the fan. A nice neutral that is not too dark and will go with everything.

Your Nautical theme can go with all 3 of those suggestions. It will look beautiful. I was wondering what you were planning on using for window treatments. We are remodeling a sunroom that is slightly larger than yours. We also have a nautical theme in the kitchen area, and somewhat going into that room. However, we also are thinking 1960's type theme along with it, since our house was built in 1964. We are stukk ub tge deciding phase, so I am glad to answer your question.
0 Likes   February 20, 2014 at 11:33PM
babiesinbloom
I just painted my sunroom a BM Cape Hatteras. It is a greige shade. Its has a light and airy feeling even with my darker shades of furniture.
1 Like   February 24, 2014 at 5:42AM
rosybloom
What color and brand soft white is recommended?
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 9:42AM
country girl
I'm recovering a couch for my yellow sunroom. Any suggestions on color or pattern?
0 Likes   April 11, 2014 at 12:49PM
Leona N
Thank you all, for the encouragement and suggestions.

Why can't things turn out beautifully like designers help you plan? I fear it's not a showcase room yet, as it's probably last on the list of projects to really finish.

UPDATE: Plantation shutters and ceiling fan are the only things which turned out as envisioned.
Attaching pictures.
Fabric to reupholster love seat was discontinued, so I had to pick a new one. Also changed from a stripe to a yellow on the peacock chair...still needs "pop". :(
No painting done yet...waiting for house to settle and expose nail pops. So still stuck with the Platinum (off white) that builder used in whole house.
0 Likes   April 13, 2014 at 9:39AM