Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with paint color!
mel_firth
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I cannot stand this light grey from Benjamin moore anymore as it is way too light. Would love a dark grey from BM. Also any suggestion about what to do with the ceiling and trim above bed? Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
Here is pic for inspiration...wall papering the raised ceiling is a nice touch. Keep moldings white.
February 2, 2013 at 7:57am     
Denice Shuty
I would pick up on the tones in your gorgeous painting and go really strong - you've got the decor to do so! Change the rug, though, to something larger and with a graphic pattern. Check out the attached images. For the ceiling, and even the walls, consider adding tone-on-tone mouldings to emphasize the geometry you've got going on.
February 2, 2013 at 8:09am     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Benjamin Moore colors, like most other brands of paint, come in different gradations of color. Since you know what the color is and we don't, I think you should try paints on the same page of the BM paint deck, only darker. You could try one shade darker and two shades darker. I suggest you do this on poster board and tape them to the wall. Look at them in daylight and at night in lamplight.

Once you determine what color you prefer, I would paint the walls and the ceiling the same color, leaving the mouldings white. With the darker color, they will stand out quite nicely.
February 2, 2013 at 8:20am     
mel_firth
I definitely want to go much darker...Im just confused about the ceiling, there is a lot going on..not sure where to stop the wall paint..
February 2, 2013 at 9:08am   
PRO
Here's a photo of a bedroom with the ceiling painted the same color as the walls, which is the treatment I prefer. Of course, you are talking about a much darker color. What's the name of the color that your walls are now?
February 2, 2013 at 9:24am   
PRO
DawnElise Interiors
I really like ""Amherst Gray" form Benjamin Moore HC-167. You can take it up the the crown molding and then use it again on the vertical portions of the recessed tray. I also like the idea of a graphic wall covering on the flat portion of the tray - a Hermes orange Venetian plaster would look great too but it's a real commitment to the color scheme
February 2, 2013 at 9:24am     
mel_firth
the color I have now is Tundra by BM. I don't see the pic Carolyn.
February 2, 2013 at 9:43am   
PRO
Sorry, I'll try again. Tundra is a very blue gray. Are you happy with the blue in it? If so, I wouldn't go any darker than Pigeon Gray which is two shades darker. The only way I'd go darker than that would be to make the bed wall Dior Gray, which is 3 shades darker, and the other walls just one shade darker than what you currently have.
February 2, 2013 at 9:59am   
mel_firth
there must be a mistake with my color..i was expecting a blue ish grey but when the walls were painted by my contractor i was disappointed it looked almost white! I have a lot if light in my window and this bedroom needs to be darker. When i saw Tundra by BM on houzz it looked blue ish grey but on BM website it is almost white :(
February 2, 2013 at 10:17am   
becky1171
My bedroom is painted a darker blue gray and it is Behr Nature Retreat. It is actually warm for a blue gray and I've had many compliments on the color.
February 2, 2013 at 5:03pm   
More Discussions
Need Help with Mailbox Idea
I'm in the process of painting the front door a ruby...
Replace cabinets or repaint?
Purchased a house that has a lot of weird colors throughout...
HOUSE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
May you please help me with roof tiles colour which...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...
Need help finalizing the decor in our dining room.....
You can see the after transformation pictures compared...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.