powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with breakfast area window treatment ideas.
Tara Mancine
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I cant decide what to do with the windows in this room. Curtains, shades, blinds etc. The fabric on the chairs is a cream, soft yellow, and silvery grey. I'd like to tie the room together but am faces with too many options and can't seem to commit. If you have any other ideas for the room, those are totally welcome too! Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellenp1214
What's the wall color, and is it staying? I would probably go with a soft gray, maybe a linen, curtain. Hang them high and wide so they cover the areas of wall in between the windows and draw your eye up. How high are the ceilings? A chandelier would be nice as well.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:54AM
Tara Mancine
Thanks! I like the light grey curtain idea. The wall color is an off white and will probably stay that way since we are renting right now. The ceilings are about 9ft high.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:04AM
grannystefan
For a custom, tailered and clean look, how about tall stationary panels, in linen textured draperies to match color of walls; one on left, one on right, and two in corner, extending 6" beyond trim on right and left, to allow maximum light. Add roman shades in lighter shade of chair fabric for sun control and privacy. To coordinate and enhance a custom look, you could add a band (3" or so) across the bottom of the roman shade matching the color of the side drapery fabric. One could reverse this color scheme, using the lighter color in chairs for side panels, and darker tone on simple roman shades, etc.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:13AM
grannystefan
whoops - I thought the wall color was darker than off white....
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:16AM
ellenp1214
If you're renting, I probably wouldn't invest in roman shades or blinds, unless you plan on staying for quite a while. Curtains are easier to take with you to your next home. Just a thought.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 4:22PM
Monica Oro
Let me try this again. I'm new to this site and I've lost 2 posts already. I've been a renter for years (military spouse) and I learned to sew simple window treatments early on. I love the idea of the long stationary gray panels on the window and they are easy to sew or I'm sure easy to buy since gray is a popular color now. Then I'd either do a simple valance, baloon or roman shade or just trim out the gray panels with a print that coordinates with your chairs. I found a couple of prints I'm attaching, one is fun and one is almost a dead ringer for your chair fabric. Disclaimer: I found them on this website: http://www.decorativefabricsdirect.com/ but I have never ordered from there. I just googled Waverly since I love thier fabrics. Hope this helps.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:07PM
tlkv
It looks like your neighbors are close by. I'd recommend an adjustable shade that can be opened from the top or bottom. Then you can have some privacy at the table and still let in light. Is this an eating area in a kitchen? I am not a fan of floor length drapes in an eat in kitchen.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:16PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I like Monica's fabric on the left, I wuld use thme as half curtains! Cover the lower half of the window with curtains on rings, and do a tailored valance about.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:20PM
decoenthusiaste
Well, they're not high fashion, but are easy to make and would block the view, so I'm suggesting typical old cafe or tier curtains mounted on an extension rod inside the windows.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
It you went with shutters they have frames they can build to really make the windows look amazing.
I will attach pictures to show you what I am talking about.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:46AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Shutters are cool but really limit some of the light. This is not necessarily a problem for you. Hunter Douglas also has some good products that would work in your room.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:52AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Oh, PS: I love those chairs.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:52AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Cafe curtains don't need to be old fashioned. Run a wrought iron rod across the windows for them for a great look. I'd add a cornice the length of the windows butting in the corner to cover the tops of your frameless windows too. --the cornice should just cover the tops of the frames.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:19AM
marshadraskovich
Love the panel drapes idea and agree they can be taken with you. If you have fabric from the beautiful chairs or can get more, I would suggest adding a wide border on the bottom to soft gray panels which would customize your look. If you need privacy, you can attach fabric to roller shades which would be less expensive than custom shades.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 7:41AM
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:04AM
Tara Mancine
Thanks for all the ideas! These have been more than helpful. I think I'm leaning more towards the drapes since they can be taken with me. I live the look of plantation shutters but they just wouldn't be practical for a rental.
I'm just not sure now how to hang the drapes since the space between the windows is so small. (9 inches between each and approx 20 inches in the corner).
Should I do 3 panels on (1 on each side and 1 in corner)???!
Thanks again!!!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:58PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
You need at least 4--two pairs.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:10PM