powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my bedroom. I love the chocolate and blue walls but need help pulling it together.
ameyc2
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love the blue and chocolate but its just not coming together the walls look like they belong to two different rooms?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zealart
i think it looks fine. Just complete the decor ( looks like some table lamps would be good) and if it feels disjointed for you, then paint it over.
February 2, 2013 at 8:58AM   
PRO
The Griffin Group Keller Williams Houston Realtors
I would put the bed up against the wall where you have the mirror. I would paint the room either all blue or all brown. Then once you pick a color, use accent pieces with the other color that you love. Mount curtain rods higher then the windows and hang curtains on all of them. Accessories will also tie this room together. Table lamps and art pieces.
February 2, 2013 at 9:03AM     
Denice Shuty
I agree, all one color on the walls. Then do a simple crown moulding where the walls meet the ceiling, and paint it white. On the one blank blue wall, try a wall graphic: go to easywallz.com to browse. Then your bedding and wall art should be carefully chosen to deliver high impact. If you have hardwood floors do an area rug with some pattern.. Are you keeping the ceiling fan?
February 2, 2013 at 9:10AM   
grannystefan
I love the color combination - now just build on it by getting blue based bedside lamps with white shades. If keeping the existing bed cover, add throw pillows in patterns that please you and perhaps a blue and brown throw or patterned blanket at end of bed. Blue and brown patterned comforter sets are quite popular and would enhance the room if in your budget. A simple tailored valance in a white to match the blinds and perhaps trimmed in a simple blue band and brown band at bottom hem area might tie room together and give the room warmth.
February 2, 2013 at 9:19AM   
chickinvic
I actually love the combination of the two wall colors. I wouldn't change that. I have bedding with both those colors on it that would look great in there. My quilt is that brown with a similar blue in a pattern on it. I love the look. Try a bedding set that combines both colors, or a chocolate bedspread with blue pillows (or blue bedding with chocolate pillows, etc). Maybe even a nice blue bedside lamp. I think this room can really look good. For the previous poster, it is a window shutter that is open that you are seeing beside the bed.
February 2, 2013 at 9:21AM     
chickinvic
I was typing at the same time as grannystefan was posting - some similar ideas.
February 2, 2013 at 9:22AM   
Jayme H.
I feel like those 2 colors are not working well together...I also would paint the whole room one color.
February 2, 2013 at 9:31AM   
Denice Shuty
Some photos that might inspire you on how to pull your room together.
February 2, 2013 at 9:44AM   
ameyc2
Thank you I love the two colors also but I think I should work with the decor a little more before I rethink the paint job. The shutter thing is an open shutter sorry...it looks out there...
February 2, 2013 at 9:58AM   
groveraxle
I also love the blue and chocolate, but I think there may be too much chocolate. (Hard to believe, I know.) I think I'd keep only the wall behind the bed chocolate, or go with all blue walls and chocolate accessories. Love the first pic from Writely Yours.
February 2, 2013 at 9:59AM   
ameyc2
I thought about painting an accent stripe in the brown on one of the blue walls to help pull the colors in any comments?
February 2, 2013 at 10:01AM   
ameyc2
Love the pics also from Writely perhaps the chocolate is too dark?
February 2, 2013 at 10:04AM   
ameyc2
My bathroom is the same chocolate color floor to ceiling tile so wanted the chocolate to thread through the rooms. I like the wall art in the blue room pic/Writely That maybe an option. Thnx for the help. Please send anymore ideas if you have them I appreciate it.
February 2, 2013 at 10:07AM   
ameyc2
Yes keeping the ceiling fan?
February 2, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Denice Shuty
To carry the chocolate through from the bathroom just have some chocolate in your bedding or rug, or in the wall graphic, or artwork. It doesn't have to be across a whole wall. The connection can be subtle and still be effective.
February 2, 2013 at 10:16AM   
riesy
how about adding some touches of navy to the room ... maybe lamps with navy bases ... lamp shades in cocoa ... pillows in an abstract print with navy and/or brown.
February 2, 2013 at 10:19AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
U need some pillows on the bed with the blues and browns . I would also change your bedding with colors more similar to the space the white is to stalk in that room.
February 3, 2013 at 6:57AM   
ameyc2
thanks I agree....haven't started on the decore yet...just got stuck on the wall color it kind of held me up....
February 3, 2013 at 7:54AM   
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
The walls are on a cooler color scheme and your bedside tables/ dresser are on a warm yellow color scheme - have you considered painting them white? I think that would pull the room together...
February 3, 2013 at 8:03AM   
Denice Shuty
I think that using only all cool colors, or only all warm colors is a mistake/misconception. When you have a predominance of one you need its compliment in there to balance and contrast. The natural maple is the perfect compliment for the blue. Look at all the images of great rooms on Houzz to see many examples of this principle.
February 3, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Denice Shuty
Ameyc2, I just saw a great photo on pinterest where a woman's walk in closet had magenta walls and a chocolate brown ceiling separated by thick white crown moulding. Maybe you could do the same with the brown on your ceiling.
February 3, 2013 at 10:14AM   
PRO
BeyondFrames
Chocolate and blue it's such a beautiful combination. I wouldn't repaint but go on with accessorizing.
I couldn't agree more with Writely yours Marketing about balancing the warm and cool colors. But , by saying this , I don't mean that this is the rule to be followed . A formal, or crisp, icy room could look fabulous as well as one designed using solely warm tones. It's just a matter of taste.

Dressing up the bare blue wall with some wooden frames, and/or some silver frames above the night stands to match the mirror frames on the opposite wall, some table lamps on the night stands and even on the dresser near the mirror could be one option. In this case I'd keep the bedding plain white and just add more white pillows. Play with texture to add dimension to your bed if you keep it monochromatic. Maybe I'd use one in a light shade of the one color you what to emphasize in your bedroom.

Or, if going for patterned bedding with throws and decorative pillows you have to be more careful choosing the way of dressing up the walls.

You've done great job so far, and you just need to make the chocolate and blue work better together not to clutter the bedroom
Modern Bedroom
Merie Table Lamp
Meena Table Lamp
Glazed Ceramic Ring Table Lamp
Gemma Milk-Glass Table Lamp
Fur Decorative Pillow White.
Lily Natural White Pillow - Clayton Gray Home
Mongolian Lamb Pillow
Mongolian Lamb Pillow Cover
February 3, 2013 at 10:36AM   
PRO
Bellamira Design
The reflection in the mirror would look oh, so much softer and prettier in the blue. Paint it all blue with chocolate accents. It will be prettier and give you many more options to decorate. It is impossible to find "just what you want" when you are looking for combined colors. Much easier to find chocolate accessories.
February 3, 2013 at 10:46AM     
Denice Shuty
I don't know who said it, but this quote is worth sharing. "Prettiness is the enemy of beauty - the blandness and acceptability of pretty cancels out the greatness of beauty."
February 3, 2013 at 11:50AM   
ameyc2
lol! oh I love all these comments...love the quote and don't need anymore enemies! My kitchen and mud room are the same blue! so I really do "love" the blue too but enough is enough ....thanks everyone for the great comments and the pics of the pillows and lamps...very appropriate for my dilema! I have enough information to work with and will send updated photos!
February 3, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Sharon
Ok, just one more idea, silver/metallic accents will do wonders for your room.
February 4, 2013 at 1:42AM   
ameyc2
you know I was thinking the same thing....the mirrors really work on the blue wall apposite, so I may trail on that...thank you....
February 4, 2013 at 7:10AM   
PRO
Design Works
The furniture, accessories, and bedding will pull this together. I see that you've already gotten loads of good advice, so my only additional comment would be; Select some fabric and accessories with patterns that incorporate the two colors on your walls and it will help to visually tie everything together.

@Sharon - fully support the metallic accent idea - Love it!
April 26, 2014 at 10:54AM        Thanked by ameyc2
bears72
July 20, 2014 at 12:35PM   
edithsmom
Old thread!
July 21, 2014 at 6:37AM   
decoenthusiaste
DEAD THREAD - 2/4/13
July 21, 2014 at 7:19AM