Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Buying this house and think exterior paint color is too dark
Dawn
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas for updating the look? I'm going to replace or paint the light fixture on porch and raise it 6-8 inches. Was thinking about painting house cream or light beige. Any ideas on paint colors? Or general ideas for improving the exterior? Was considering replacing those little windows--all three are in bathrooms. The area on the left with no windows is the walk-in closet. The tiny window on right is above prep sink in kitchen, refrigerator is next to it where all the brick is on outside. I like the red door. Plan on keeping that. All suggestions appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
great house, I would not paint it off white or tan, it is perfect with the setting as it is, however a greener gray would likely be better.
February 2, 2013 at 10:39am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the exterior stone is nice and typical of the age of the house. the replacing of window is a big undertaking but it seems you are doing an addition on the back side? If the windows are in good shape I would leave them..... many times the budget is stressed before any attention is "paid" to the interior comfort
February 2, 2013 at 10:42am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I would add to the landscaping and shirt the house will plants, but not toooo formal as the wooded area is wonderful and I would do a random palnting. Not like the holly or boxwoods that are there now
February 2, 2013 at 10:43am   
Dawn
Thanks! That is very helpful.
February 2, 2013 at 11:03am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
plan plan plan.......then do it in stages.....dont just headin....as then you will not be working on a total picture
February 2, 2013 at 11:04am   
onthefence
I agree with Gary that the house needs to be very organic in color. The surroundings are beautiful - lucky you! In my eye, I'd love see a grove of trees and the river THEN notice there's a house. I think a lighter color house would make you see the house first then everything else would be an afterthought.

Enjoy your beautiful surroundings!
February 2, 2013 at 11:30am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The house is great and the lot is amazing! I do agree with GARY FINLEY, ASID in regards to your exterior.
February 2, 2013 at 11:35am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
thanks Jonathan, for your support
February 2, 2013 at 11:40am   
Judy M
I would consider removing at least one tree in front and limbing up the others, this would allow more light to your home and get less dark shadows, while still keeping the shade they offer.
A consult with a good landscaper for a plan would pay off.
February 2, 2013 at 11:55am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Out of curiosity...where is this house?
February 2, 2013 at 11:58am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Also, I agree with Gary as well. The house was meant to be a part of the surroundings. However, a little more green of a grey could work...something that wouldn't make that red door look too "Christmas-y" -- that's a technical term.
February 2, 2013 at 12:01pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
from what I can tell the grass is fine and the limb height's are allowing the sun to done its work for the lawn.....removing a tree is not neccessary for the light from what I can tell. and the beauty of a ''wooded lot" is the trees
February 2, 2013 at 12:04pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
So where is this house? I'm thinking Arkansas/Oklahoma/Missouri
February 2, 2013 at 12:05pm   
Dawn
It's in Gallatin TN about 20-30 minutes northeast of Nashville. The trees in the back have been trimmed 1/3 of the way up. I haven't paid much attention to the ones in the front yet.
February 2, 2013 at 12:16pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the front are fine................................dont you think?
February 2, 2013 at 12:17pm   
Dawn
Yes, I don't want to cut any trees but agree with what you said about adding landscaping around the house that blends in with the area.
February 2, 2013 at 12:23pm   
ruthmand
Please do not paint your home a light color. Look at your first photo and note how your neighbors white house sticks out whereas yours seems to blend in with its lovely surroundings.
February 2, 2013 at 12:32pm   
PRO
nFORMAL design
I know the area well. Good luck getting it "up to snuff". Keep it subtle and blended in...I think it is gorgeous that way.
February 2, 2013 at 12:46pm   
Dawn
I hadn't thought about how painting it would light would make it stick out until reading the comments on this board, but not going to do that. Only half of the back of the house is painted--they added new windows and few feet to the living room and for some reason didn't paint the new part. I will paint it all one color in the back.
February 2, 2013 at 12:47pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you realize hopefully that lighting up the paint will separate the house from its comfortable setting, many do extensive landscapeing to attempt to achieve what you have with the wonderfully matured trees
February 2, 2013 at 1:02pm     
ommie7
You might try a muted shade of sage green to keep it in with the wonderful setting. Think of changing the trim color to accent rather than blend. If you can make the bath windows larger it would really change the whole look but only you know how that would work. Have fun getting it all together. Watch curb appeal on TV.
February 2, 2013 at 1:17pm   
rookery
Wonderful house & setting! I agree on keeping the paint a natural / earthy color. If you desire to update windows consider a Pella type single casement, as they would look stellar when open. Also Benjamin Moore is my sister's paint of choice. She is a chemical engineer & very savvy on durability. She lives in CT & used a dark Forrest green (seems to change colors depending on light) on her property's siding & it has held up beautifully to the elements.
I believe a change in upgrading the look you are perhaps seeking would be to reroof. Echo Majestic Slate makes a recycled hail resistant rubber roof that looks identical to slate. We had a dark slate on former house & the insurance deduction lowered our premium greatly. You can google for info.
Enjoy!
February 2, 2013 at 1:24pm     
PRO
Urban Oasis
I like the ochre color on the back. Maybe you can echo that. As for the landscaping, I would go with natives since you are in such a beautiful setting. That way you will blend in with your surroundings. Keep it organic - no trimmed hedges.
February 2, 2013 at 5:20pm   
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Yes, I agree with everyone that the dark color looks nice in the surrounding landscape. You have a naturally beautiful spot. The trimmed hedge could be replaced with a natural shaped planting. Maybe some flowering shrubs in front of the stone wall that do not get larger than 4-6 feet. Seasonal color, flowering shrubs, and fragrance is all you need to add.
February 2, 2013 at 6:29pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lol Pamela ...ever consider just not trimming them....lol just thought that was funny sorry
February 2, 2013 at 6:31pm   
flgrandma
You might wait til Sping to see how this looks with leaves on the trees.
February 2, 2013 at 6:33pm   
cutecupcake27
Think u should paint it white
February 2, 2013 at 6:45pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
support the reasons for white paint if you would?
February 2, 2013 at 6:49pm   
allthingsmodern
The setting reminds me of the "camouflage" artist Bev Doolittle--- Seems somewhat sacrilegious attempting to improve upon it--- Who's the architect?
February 2, 2013 at 7:01pm   
Dawn
I don't know the architect. It was built in 1972, then sold in 2005. Think I will leave outside alone for awhile and work on painting the inside.
February 2, 2013 at 7:10pm   
Christine
I would go bright cream or off white. NO BEIGE PLEASE. It looks dour now cuz it's winter but wait til summer comes and you are on the water. You won't want to look at a beige house. Power wash the stone and go light up top and add large wooden planters spaced evenly, that wind down to the waterfront where you can change out plants year round maybe irregular pavers down to the water as well. Have fun.

P.S. I can be invited over for a barbecue or to house sit. Whatever works for your schedule. :)
February 2, 2013 at 7:14pm   
markwilder63
I too agree that keeping it earth toned is a good call and also that it is too dark now... dull in appearance. I would go with more of a greener grey as others have said, a bit lighter, just a bit.. As mother nature does offer us a bounteous color palette from which to select I see no need to shy away from something a bit more colorful.... after all, how many shades of green are there in a forest? Regarding plantings, while I like to go native for several reasons, I keep thinking that a few nice tall grasses would look great out front along wall where bathrooms are located... would help to offset the awkwardness that now exists... and also serve to lighten up the area. Enjoy!
February 2, 2013 at 7:15pm     
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Plant drifts of naturalizing bulbs throughout the area. They would add to your beautiful natural landscape. I love the Narcissus - Tazetta hybrids or the Jonquilla hybrids.
February 3, 2013 at 8:31am     
More Discussions
Best Self Tanner
Are you looking for self tanning products online? Sun...
DEAR SIR, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS COMMING A ELECATION COLOUR
DEAR SIR, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS COMMING A ELECATION...
Need some Pop in my Living and TV Room
Room # 1 Planning on mounting the TV and putting a...
Corian VS Caesar
I'm designing a new kitchen with a large white-bases...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.