Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture placement
Dana
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Trying to cozy up this space, making it more conducive to conversation. The front door and patio doors are centered at either end of the space. Open concept leaves an area about 12'x12' for furniture without blocking flow to kitchen and hallways. Replacing existing sofas. Amazing lake view is focal point of the room. Any ideas? Thanks so much
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
I would add a more decorative rug and a glass topped coffee table. Direct the traffic flow around the couches/conversation area. No need to keep it that open.
February 2, 2013 at 3:06PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
This appears to be a grand entry space, not a living room. Is there a living room and/or family room elsewhere? If that is not the case, then I think you MUST place furniture squarely in the path from front to back. I'd place a sofa with a sofa table behind it where the hardwood flooring starts. Then I'd put a large coffee table in front of the sofa and two chairs opposite it. People will just walk around it.
February 2, 2013 at 3:09PM     
grinter
I would put a warm coloured rug in the middle of the couches , but also they need to be turned around width ways from the front door as to give definition to the ares it looks like a long corridor the way that it is also a coffee table and a splash of colour with the cushions , make sure they are feather cushions as they give a softer look
February 2, 2013 at 3:11PM   
grinter
definetley turn them around , the couches, they are contempory pieces but definitely need some warmth added to the area for conversation to take place as it is it looks to much like a corridor
February 2, 2013 at 3:15PM   
Jayme H.
I would eliminate a sofa...it's too alley like. I would either angle the furniture more, or put one sofa across the other way.
February 2, 2013 at 3:17PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I think you need to put the back of a sofa toward the front door. This will than give you a view when sitting of the lake. I would put a sofa/console table behind that to create the foyer space. Than two chairs on each side with a square coffee table and two ottomans at the lake end.
February 2, 2013 at 3:19PM     
Dana
Here are a couple of details on the lake end.
February 2, 2013 at 3:25PM   
Jayme H.
I would face a sofa towards that door...u can put a console table behind it so it will look good from the other door...I would put some chairs also..with a small table inbetween...
February 2, 2013 at 3:27PM     
Dana
Thank you so much! There is a small foyer separating the front door from the great room. I was worried about walking into a piece of furniture, but now LOVE the idea. Would you suggest a full- sized (88") sofa, or a love seat horizontally? Again, thanks.
February 2, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Jayme H.
You could try both out, see which one looks better/less clunky....
February 2, 2013 at 3:35PM     
Dana
While I have your expertise, any ideas for the corner opposite the dining table on lake end?(2nd set of photos on right)
Thanks, again!
February 2, 2013 at 4:06PM   
Jayme H.
If you don't like the table there that you have in there...could go with a BIG floor vase with natural sticks or materials sticking out and/or another one or two in a grouping...another arm chair and small table?
February 2, 2013 at 4:44PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
That corner opposite the dining table looks like a great place for a reading chair and ottoman, or a chaise. Either would require a table beside it and a floor lamp. Or it could be two chairs set there for a conversation.
February 2, 2013 at 5:37PM     
decoenthusiaste
Unless you're married to the idea of sofas, I'd try something like this and re-route traffic around it. Chairs that would sit with their backs to the lake could be swivels (or converted to swivels if skirted.) If you select the right sizes they may all fit into the wood insert floor. However, I think I would fill that space with a rug pad and a larger rug with some great colors drawn from the view.
40 Park Roseland Property Morristown NJ
Family Rooms
Conservatory
Sunroom
February 2, 2013 at 5:52PM     
jkristamagee
You may have to work and rework with the suggestion I am going to give but our new home is actually almost identical just a tad bigger. You may find that slightly putting furniture at an angle is key . I am without an entry hall- when one walks through my front door, they are standing in my living room. My previous home had a front formal foyer and a back mudroom so needless to say I was tearing everyone's head off in frustration. I tried everything and finally one morning it hit me lol. Just remember that their are all types of angles so do not stress that you must shift to much. Just a slight angle - if enough room is possible afterward , I would place a slender sofa table - decorate it with what you feel is a warm welcome for you when you walk through the door. To be honest , one of my most favorites of my new home is that when I walk in I feel so cozy and welcome. I have 20ft+ cathedral ceilings which really helped but even if you do not have similar just keep working it until YOU feel at home walking through that door. I found my biggest fault was focusing on what I did not have instead of just simply working with what was there . Beautiful home by the way.
February 2, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Dana
JKM- Would you mind uploading a photo? Trying to get a feel for angle idea. Thank you so much! Dana
February 4, 2013 at 6:48AM   
jkristamagee
I most certainly do not mind - ignore my colors at this moment - I just purchased the place at the end of July and was on a deployment a few months out of that plus christmas , life, work, school ahhhhh it goes on and on not to mention my beautifully messy and time consuming husband and son - I am a flight nurse for the Army and at a conference until next week - as soon as I get back to sweet home mississippi I will upload a photo. Again it may not work for you, but it's a shot
February 4, 2013 at 4:46PM