Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Obnoxious round wall in entry
lbitter
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Okay, we have no idea what to do with this giant wall around our stairwell in our entry. We painted it an accent color years ago to coordinate with our chair. We are going to repaint the entire room and recarpet. But what to do about the wall? It would be nice to find something decorative to put on the wall, but with the contour, it is difficult. Any ideas at all? We like transitional style.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
That is actually a very cool accent. I hate the pink. A rich dark color will really bring out that detail. I would also continue that color on the railing wall above.
February 2, 2013 at 3:11PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
WOW! Sort of intrudes on the space doesn't it. We've torn out and reworked stair cases in instances like this...last on you could see up the stairs and into the master shower and there wasn't a door on the bathroom! A floor plan and some dimensions and the designers here will go to town, reorganizing the staircase and finding space for your sofa....looks like it needs some elbow room.
February 2, 2013 at 3:13PM     
mmilos
Veneer it in a contemporary zebra wood or Madagascar ebony. Paint railings and moldings dark.
February 2, 2013 at 3:18PM     
Jayme H.
I immediately thought "dark".
February 2, 2013 at 3:22PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
First I'd call in an architect to see what they can do to eliminate this eyesore from your lives. But if that doesn't work, let's think about just making it more attractive. I like the wood on the curved wall in the photo below. Or just painting it a different color would help enormously. It needs to relate to a color used in the room.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Modern Hall Entry
February 2, 2013 at 3:23PM     
bumbles12
Maybe have it removed, it's unbelievable!
February 2, 2013 at 3:25PM     
lefty47
HI -- This eats up too much square footage for what it is . Money well spent on having it restyled and squared off . Talk to a contractor or two and get some prices. Makes you want to sing "My heart will go on " doesn't it , and I am sure a few people have yelled "I'm on top of the world " . So you see it has to go ! Then you will have much more room for your furniture . If you are going to keep it then concider wallpaper or a large wallpaper photo image of some sort . You can even have one of your own photos enlarged for that .
February 2, 2013 at 3:27PM     
Tenise Wertman
This would be an amazing wall for a faux finish of any type, but I would love this stone idea. Paint the wall the color you would want the grout lines, then use masking tape to tape your lines, then use drywall compound to make your "stone" and pull the tape off while drywall compound (mud) is still wet. Then when drywall compound is dry, add some earthy paint hues with a sponge or something to make it look like stone. It would be fantastic.
February 2, 2013 at 3:38PM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
You like traditional style, right? And this is VERY far from traditional. While I appreciate the wood slat idea...I can't say it is traditional or an inexpensive fix. The stone, yes, we could do that...but it would add at least two inches to the overall size...and the sofa is banging the dang thing already! I think an architect or a good design /build contractor can help. Call a local pro from the "find local pro" tab here on houzz!
February 2, 2013 at 8:44PM     
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
What about removing current staircase and rebuilding it all together with the style you like? It's not the cheapest way for sure though.
February 2, 2013 at 9:10PM   
jkristamagee
Oh wow - I'm shocked to see the professionals so against this- I love it! If I walked into this home looking to purchase it, a million ideas would hit me on how this could look amazing. It's just very different but for some reason I find it to have charm. It could be very classy. I'm from the south - I love traditional, I live the southern living and cozy "welcome - make yourself at home" look and feel but I also line elegant and class with it. It is your home and if you absolutely can not live with it that's understandable - everyone has their own ideas of a perfect home- that's why it's yours :)just saying that even with my absolute HATRED for the modern space ship looks, I do not see that here. Maybe old world. When we purchased our new home jn July, I wanted to burn the house down Nd start over because my THREE front doors open up to my living room with 20ft + ceilings and For the first time jn my life I could not arrange the room around and feel comfortable - REALLY- they built this big ole house and didn't think about a formal entrance!!? That is until I realized I was not getting anywhere constantly working against the problem that quite frankly wasn't changing a bit from my growing frustration. Sometimes I think it's best to try to work with the reality first before burning the house down lol. I did this and now am actually planning my next home that we will build to have a similar layout- hey- I'm not saying it will work out the same for you but crossing off the easy "problem solution ideas" are not going to hurt. Oh and for some of you who are "professionals" In design assisting - FYI! You work for other people so learn to talk to them in a respectful manner. That or maybe find another career- if someone walked in my home and boldly stated some of the comments made here , I think I would loose my southern charm and they would be even more boldly be running to their vehicle as fast as possible. Just disrespectful- there are right ways and wrong ways to say what you feel needs to be stated. I would think that if a person is to the point of needing help and At te edge they do not need the person that is "trained" to push them over the edge. Face it - your opinion is just that- not a fact -
February 2, 2013 at 11:22PM   
bumbles12
The person is asking for advise. I would say people ain't trying to be rude, just honest. If you come onto a site like this you will get honest opinions and you will also get some good ideas too.
February 2, 2013 at 11:29PM     
Darzy
This is an elephant in the room for sure. An architect/designer would be the way to proceed. You will be shocked out much more spacious your home will feel with this gone. :)

February 2, 2013 at 11:57PM     
onthefence
This makes me think of the place where a ship's captain stands to steer the boat. Having said that though, the inspiration photos posted by Carolyn Albert-Kincl are gorgeous!
February 3, 2013 at 12:03AM     
esilele
I would definitely look at removing it, but if it must stay, what about having some sort of curved shelving?
February 3, 2013 at 12:49AM     
Steven Sobti
I think that a rock wall accent would look great, or your last resort could be taking it out and starting new, which could be expensive.
February 3, 2013 at 1:42AM     
rinqreation
It is a really strong feature for sure! I agree on most "solutions" already mentioned in other posts. My top 3 to choose from would be:
* Cover in faux stone or dark wood veneir to give it more strength to match it's massive shape (increase it's presence).
* Paint it the same color as the other walls to make it blend in (decrease).
* Cover it with mosaic, heavy ornamental wallpaper or turn it into a round bookcase to give it a more useful and/or decorative purpose.
And.. The sofa should go, try to switch it with the seats.
February 3, 2013 at 3:04AM     
lydiamuir
Interesting feature and one that is unique for sure. I would consider some kind of stack stone on the wall in a light if not white shade. I think the lighter the stack stone the less emphasis on the wall and will blend into the rest of your room a bit more. You could even whiten your wall colour and add more of a neutral carpet colour to go well with your brown sofa. I think lightening up that whole space will do wonders for it. Here's a few photos of light stack stone.
February 3, 2013 at 3:54AM     
goeselville
I think I would just paint it the same color as the walls so it would not stand out so much ,it needs to blend in with everything.would be the least expensive way and an easy fix.
February 3, 2013 at 4:35AM     
garnatmom
Can some openings be cut in to it?
February 3, 2013 at 4:52AM     
Jehanne Arslan - Fine Arts, Fine Gardens
My first instinct is always to see if I can work w what's there in an inexpensive way. At least from your pictures, the color you selected doesn't create any 'flow'. Personally, I really like the wall. I could see it painted in a very deep color - similar saturation of the sofa- which will make the wall recede - and then find some fabulous large Kilim rug to hang on it. The wall will become one fantastic framed painting! I could also see a pendant mobile sculpture close to the ceiling in front of the wall....
February 3, 2013 at 5:17AM     
Jayme H.
The pink paint is really making the area stand out...I felt earlier paint could make a huge difference to make it less of a focal point of the room.
February 3, 2013 at 5:29AM   
Jehanne Arslan - Fine Arts, Fine Gardens
Yes, Jayme - think we're visualizing the same sort of treatment !
February 3, 2013 at 5:44AM     
duffinger
As a designer, I would suggest that you turn the curved surface into an art piece itself. It's such a prominent part of the room its screaming for attention, so make it worth looking at. How about a mural design. But not too over bearing. If you had a more traditional flair I might suggest a wood veneer. How about building on a contoured (but narrow) flower box that you can plant tall grasses in to break up the large curved expanse. But please get rid of that color!
February 3, 2013 at 7:39AM     
PRO
nFORMAL design
As a designer trained in architecture (meaning non-licensed architect -- just FYI, don't have to have a license for residential), I have two ideas. One is outside the box, and the other was mentioned above. Mosaic stone tile in a long, striated style would look really good on that wall (if a tile guy could get it to fit). Outside the box idea would be to cover it in FilzFelt or BuzziSwitch Brick Back (your choice of colors) and then use small map tack or metal push-pins to put art on the wall. Architecture studios do stuff like this all the time...cool and functional. The images shown are very "loud", but you can get more subtle colors (or one single color) stripes.

Oh...and of course you don't have to have an "M" cut out in your felt.
February 3, 2013 at 7:59AM     
PRO
nFORMAL design
One image didn't show up.
February 3, 2013 at 8:00AM   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Or...have a scene printed from NouWall.
February 3, 2013 at 8:03AM     
PRO
redier HALLURE
Bonjour, je suis décoratrice en France. Mon idée, si la partie sous l'escalier n'est pas exploitée, serait de faire des rangements avec une partie portes de placards et l'autre en étagères avec spots. tout cela sous la partie escalier afin de ne laisser que la partie au dessus des marches formant ainsi un long ruban à peindre
February 3, 2013 at 8:21AM   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Didn't see the mural comment above by duffinger...was typing when he/she wrote that. Haha. Also agree with him/her on the wood veneer. That would be sweet. Or, some sort of textured wallpaper.
February 3, 2013 at 8:28AM     
fuzinav
Your wall looks like a classic "ship style" element inspired by the work of Le Corbusier on the Villa Savoye in the 1920's. I would match it in color to the other walls in the space and do a contrast railing especially if you want to minimize it's impact. I don't think that the traditional all white would be a good complement to your furniture.
February 3, 2013 at 8:36AM   
Jan Meissner
Keep the curve but open it down to the stairs. Use spindles. You'll get the incredible beauty of a spiral stair case.
February 3, 2013 at 9:07AM     
PRO
Eileen A.
Open niches and use it to display art and books
February 3, 2013 at 9:20AM     
lbitter
Thank you so much everyone for such great ideas! There are some really out of the box suggestions and I love seeing the diversity of opinions. I will mention that the furniture arrangement is not how we typically have this room set up. We moved the couch at Christmas time to accommodate our tree and left it that way for something different. having the staircase completely rebuilt is out of our budget, but I like the big impact ideas like either having niches or a wood veneer to really add focus to the wall. And certainly changing the paint color would dramatically improve the space.
February 3, 2013 at 12:41PM     
lbitter
My husband really likes the veneer idea as well, but is concerned about possibly having air bubbles when he applies it. (This is a project he would want to do himself.) What about wallcoverings? I know that the wallpaper on the market today offers a lot more sophistication than it used to. Any ideas on where we could find some really cool updated wallpaper options?
February 3, 2013 at 12:49PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Cork can wrap itself around a can of soup. It certainly handle something like this. The curvature is NOTHING for a cork glue down tile. I have wall tiles that look like laid stone (Orgclay) or brick (Orgbrick). Cost: $4.99/sf. I have floor tiles that look like marble that would give you a flat surface. Cost: $1.28 - $2.70/sf

I also have "Stone-Cork" glue down tiles that are REAL STONE that would have NO PROBLEM with this type of curve! Cost: $4.99/sf (yes, real stone for $4.99/sf)

Have a look at: www.icorkfloor.com for any of these ideas!

All that would be needed is:
A) Prime the wall with a universal primer x 2 (as if you were going to paint)
B) Apply water based contact adhesive to surface and TO the tiles of your choice
C) Wait for glue to flash/dry (35-40minutes)
D) Apply tiles to wall
E) Enjoy

Just an idea that might work well for you!
February 3, 2013 at 12:58PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
A few more photos
February 3, 2013 at 1:01PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
http://www.designyourwall.com/store/faux-wood-wallpaper-c-56.html

See above for zebra and other "woods." I love the possibilities of your space!
February 3, 2013 at 1:06PM   
starkicker
My suggestion -- use a clay to cover it in a dark colour that you would enjoy. The clay is an eco-friendly soloution and adds a bit of texture without the depth of refacing it in stone. Its also cheeper :) There are lots of types and options too, with solid colours, patterns or an array of 'marbled' looks.
February 3, 2013 at 1:25PM   
nevadan
It is an architectural mistake. You must remove it and start over.
February 3, 2013 at 1:29PM   
dessert
Start by painting it white. Removing the strong color will give you a better idea of what to do.
February 3, 2013 at 2:24PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Or, how about a mural of the queen sporting a wrought iron tiara as railing?

Lol, and yes, I'm kidding. Just needed a laugh and quick break from Superbowl prep. So far, I'm liking the wood veneer best. Also, there are a number of interesting finishes you could use on that railing. My electrician put a PVC pipe in a conspicuous spot on my exterior, and I copper leafed it.
February 3, 2013 at 2:51PM     
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
I've read through most of these suggestions and like many of them. Completely off the top of my head when I first saw your photo I imagined 1) a tiny mosaic tile in a dark metalic finish with up lights close to the floor. 2) I hate to mention it.......but a curved bookcase. Sorry but I just see things! I'm with the group that suggest keeping it.
February 3, 2013 at 3:05PM     
cohoek
Nothing wrong with the curved wall, but I would paint it white, a color makes it come forward, white is further away. You could hang loads of small frames of pictures and painting, all small though. Maybe a narrow tall mirror in there too....
February 3, 2013 at 3:17PM   
artfulmimi
Paint a mural on it. Or you could also use the quotes you see that stick on a wall.
February 3, 2013 at 3:20PM   
akiwaki
shift the furniture. switch the couch and the chest of drawers. Get a nice coffee table for that corner. use the large wall space by changing the color to a more neutral or earthy tone and hang lots and lots of special framed photos...all different frames and sizes .also get a nice green plant in there...
February 3, 2013 at 8:08PM     
curacaoblue
If you are not in the place to make structural changes the. I suggest painting it the same color as the rest of the room. It won't stand out nearly as much
February 3, 2013 at 8:20PM   
house ofsept
I also like the curved bookcase idea.
February 3, 2013 at 8:51PM     
andy360
Please keep the wall, it looks cool. I would keep the color more neutral though and, more importantly, I would try matching the furniture to e shape of the wall, not the other way around. I would put a curved sofa at the opposite corner so that together they create natural flow. An oval coffee table or round side tables, maybe a globe and some other marine display items could really bring everything together IMO. If possible, I would also consider making some small niches in the wall for display items and/or for an interesting light effect.
February 3, 2013 at 9:35PM     
amgraham
the worst thing you did was paint it a bright colour. make it a white or neutral colour and leave it with no pictures on it. otherwise this will just draw more attention to it make it look even worse.
February 4, 2013 at 4:41AM     
PRO
Allan's Painting Incorporatied
I either like the idea of a darker color than the rest of the area to make the wall recede. Or how about another faux finish such as marble?
February 4, 2013 at 5:11AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest a fun wallpaper on this wall, and the others adjacent to it. Turn it into part of the space, instead of isolating it on it's own. Singling it out will only make it stand out more.
February 4, 2013 at 5:25AM