Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Teen bedroom help with wall colors / decorating ideas
spatrickson
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Sorry for the mess in the middle of the room...right in the middle of rearranging rooms. This is a room over our garage which we had previously used as a rec room and are now switching to a bedroom for our 15 year old son. We have been thinking about doing a light brown wall which is what we have in the hallway and living area of the home but looking for some other ideas. My son had picked out BM Masada but I think it is too orange and will look horrible with the current carpet in the room...its kind of a light grey berber with green in it too. We will be replacing the carpet with laminate eventually

Wondering if an accent wall might look good only on the wall with the windows?? Any suggestions will be appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nasmijati
Sit down next to your son and a good pad of drawing paper. Have him sketch out and describe what he wants. Take notes.

Your son might also start an Ideabook on Houzz to get a feel for what he likes and doesn't like. Have him make notes in the notes box under each photo he chooses describing what he likes about each space.(Houzz PHOTOS, scroll down to Bedrooms, and enter "teen boy" in the search box.)

This is also a good time to get a life lesson in planning and sticking to a budget...
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:29PM
PRO
Bethany Bartels Interiors
With carpet being light grey, it would be important to make sure the wall color has a slight grey base. Even if you choose an orange color as long as the base spins toward grey you will be fine.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:38PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If your son is set on orange, I'd suggest just one orange wall, with the rest a more neutral color. Actually, orange works quite well with both gray and green so unless it's just super strong, it should be okay for one wall. Perhaps you should make it a wall you don't see from the doorway!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:58PM
feeny
Here's one of my favorite teen rooms on Houzz--a refinished attic. I love the orange-red accent wall with the blacks, whites, and grays, and the great sloped ceilings.
Re-purposing an Attic 1
Re-purposing an Attic 2
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:04PM
PRO
Galleria Place
Is your son into sports??
We have some great sporting stuff; decor, wall art etc.... http://www.bargainbacker.com/Sports-Fans_c_723.html
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:05PM
sacapuntaslapioz
masada is truly the color of soft leather. it would go well with the carpet. let him choose his colors

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:29PM
spatrickson
[houzz=
]

I found this color combination which I think he might like. Wondering which walls should be the grey and which wall to paint orange. I was thinking the window wall as the opposite wall is got the entrance hall that breaks it up. Is it better to have the two walls opposite each other the same color or just one accent wall?
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 8:16PM
spatrickson
Here are a couple more photos from taken from the window side of the room.
Also not sure if the window sill should be left white or painted whatever color the wall is?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:21PM
PRO
Hue Color & Interiors
Sherwin Williams Cayenne is a great color, not too orange and definitely not red- love it, I have used it in combination with Sherwin Williams Lattice (a grey)You may need to adjust according to the rug. I would paint the knee walls in the Cayenne and the angled walls the lattice color. You can paint the ceiling and trim a clean white.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:42PM
pako123
You can stick with the orange but as an accent colour and paint the other walls with a light neutral like a beige. This photo is a perfect example
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:50PM