Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Desperately want a kitchen window seat
nikkiboyer
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My fiance and I are moving into our first house in just under two weeks. I have seen pictures of window seats with cabinets on the sides and I LOVE THEM. Our dining room has beautiful recessed windows that will be perfect for it, however, there's a hitch. Just in front of the window is a vent that pulls the air from the house into it, so it can't be covered, at least not completely (see picture below). Does anyone have any pictures or recommendations for how I can achieve the window seat of my dreams (also pictured)?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lparides
Give the bench legs,
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:13PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
An idea? Use a custom grill on a couple of false drawer fronts, painted to match the cabinets. Google cold air return and you can get sizes and different patterns. I especially like the Cobblestone for a traditional home. This would be a custom unit, no doubt, but if the two center drawers (the false ones) in your idea were dedicated to the cold air return,it would work just fine.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:54PM
PRO
EB Interiors
ironwood builders is right on. i have seen this done and it is functional and beautiful at the same time.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:10PM
PRO
Maison Nomad Interiors
What about commissioning an upholstered bench in the appropriate size? Leave the underside open to allow for enough ventilation. Put a couple of etageres on either side of the window to achieve a similar look.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:12PM
PRO
Eagledzines
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:58PM
mveasey
Have a look at "Centsational Girl"'s blog under "we have a window seat". Or another option, see photo.
Good luck!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:43PM
nikkiboyer
Everyone, thank you so much for your suggestions! I love all of them! I knew I could just put legs on the seat part, but I really like that built in look that the benches give.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:44AM
architectrunnerguy
Parallel thread here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/332617/Can-I-use-wall-cabinets-to-make-my-island- Yesterday posted photos of my window seat project using wall cabinets.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:54AM
lparides
And legs to your window seat so heat can come out,
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:23PM
Nancy Henderson
I think this one was mentioned before but if not http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2012/06/we-have-a-window-seat/. She had the same issue as you do.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:29PM
mobwife
if you can't get the look that you want, how about moving the vent?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:36PM
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Floating element. Hover the entire unit just above the baseboard. Leave the baseboard undisturbed
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Brown! Brown!...and more Brown!!
I need help...I am trying to deal with all the brown...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Suggestion for boring stairwell
Hello All Just moved in and lots of cream colored...
Stairs
seka1 says: Now Please let me know what to do with...
Foyer
Hi, the foyer of our new home was redone in 2011, but...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.