Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice for my space
eclecticoh
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a apartment so there are limitation when it comes to painting and etc.
So please can I get some advice. Decor etc
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I'm getting out my wallet!
March 24, 2013 at 7:08pm     
bevballew
Can you take the vase to a florist,and have them spruce,it up a bit? I like the chairs,but I am no designer. They give great suggestions!
March 24, 2013 at 7:13pm     
Jayme H.
There are red ones too.
March 24, 2013 at 7:18pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme.....Those was the first I like .....but thought it would be small.

@Ironwood Builders - no problem , you can contribute too . Lol

@bevballew....I was considering to keep it on the dinning table. So how .I got it at a flower shop.
March 24, 2013 at 9:10pm   
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh...could be a consideration..they are listed under "dining room chairs"...Not sure what the dimensions are compared to those u chose..I can see if I can find out the actual dimensions.
March 25, 2013 at 5:21am   
Jayme H.
Lets see if this works
These stacking chairs come in a red color option and have a sturdy steel construction. The polished finish on this set of four chairs is both mar and scratch resistant.

■Pack of four (4) chairs
■Finish: Polished red
■Materials: Steel
■Stackable
■Seat height: 17.5 inches
■Dimensions: 31 inches high x 20 inches wide x 19 inches deep

Fully assembled
March 25, 2013 at 5:23am     
bevballew
It was a bit hard to see your eucalyptus as the pic was dark. I just visualized an arrangement a bit lower and not so compact.
March 25, 2013 at 9:26am     
Valvorie Dunn
I guess I'm trying to be politically correct. Something oriental.
March 25, 2013 at 9:32am     
bevballew
I think Asian is okay! Maybe I am wrong. Anyway, I saw a cool pic that might have a better look. It is not the right colors but I think a nice look for your mom. If you can find the thread need help with contemporary dining room and then it says something about wood, take a look. You have to scroll quite a way down but I thought of you immediately. Just trying to help!
March 25, 2013 at 4:54pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- Thank you , those dimensions is close to the current dinning chairs so think it will work. Can you give me the link. Because the one I was reading earlier the description is different. It stated :This sturdy, steel, kids stacking chair is perfect for families with multiple children. Just the right size for kids and lightweight enough to be stacked, they can be put away when not
in use. Vibrant greenish yellow color adds fun to any playroom....more.

@bevballew- thanks , can you attach the picture.
For the eucalyptus , do you mean mixing it with other plant. Or just changing vase etc.

@Valvorie- I'll see how to how I can do that.
March 25, 2013 at 5:33pm     
eclecticoh
March 25, 2013 at 5:36pm     
butlera
Wow, I just breezed through this entire post. Could anyone really read the whole thing? :) Just wanted to say that I think y'all have done a great job advising eclecticoh and eclecticoh, you have really listened to the suggestions. Congratulations on designing a room that looks and functions so well!
March 25, 2013 at 5:46pm     
Jayme H.
Having trouble attaching...go to overstock.com...flick on dining room furniture/then dining chair....type in "metal" in search box or try "Red Tabouret Stacking Chairs"..
March 25, 2013 at 5:57pm   
eclecticoh
OK found it. Great reviews.
@Jayme - you think red would be the best color to go with dinning table , or it would be too much red.

@butlera- Thanks
March 25, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Jayme H.
Good question! I would maybe do the black ones if it were me..there were white ones too...
March 25, 2013 at 8:00pm     
Darzy
Jayme.. I really like the art suggestion of four day ago. The one you deleted! Very nice.
March 25, 2013 at 8:54pm     
eclecticoh
I prefer the black. I don't think solid white would fit.
March 25, 2013 at 9:10pm   
eclecticoh
@Darzy- I like it too , but not the price . Wish it was cheaper.
March 25, 2013 at 10:03pm   
Jayme H.
@Darzy..was it the abstract painting? I did put it back on...I had a weak moment and thought maybe the tones were not quite right/too much blue..but I think it's more greenish than blue...Thanks! I like your choice too.
March 26, 2013 at 5:28am   
solraven
Jayme, I love those chairs! I even like them in red! :) Eclecticoh, what does your mom think of them?
March 26, 2013 at 9:52pm     
Dana Veach
I just have to say that (tuning into this discussion for the first time), I'm so impressed and delighted with the way everyone has worked together on this design dilemma...and eclecticoh, you and your brother are awesome sons...developing some serious design chops! Good work, all!
March 26, 2013 at 10:53pm     
vacox
Dana, this is a great one. Eclectioh, you are doing such a great job, and I agree with Dana, it is so wonderful that at your age you are learning this stuff. I am 50 and am just now starting to learn some of it. Fun. Dana, if you like this one, you'd love http://www.houzz.com/discussions/293751. That one has over 1400 comments--a compete redesign of Rhonda's small lower level.
March 27, 2013 at 11:03am     
Dana Veach
Thanks, vacox...I'll check it out!
March 27, 2013 at 11:55am   
Jayme H.
@solraven..I like those chair too..tempted to order some myself!! I love all the colors too..the reviews on them were good also!! A good value also!!
March 27, 2013 at 1:42pm     
solraven
@Jayme, i was thinkng the same thing! We only have four chairs for a six top dining table and plan on replacing them. Right now, when we need 6 chairs, we bring the two office chairs into the dining room.
March 27, 2013 at 1:51pm     
Jayme H.
@solraven...Our are getting pretty beat up...these would be fun and they would totally not "go with" our table...it's an antique oak pedestal...LOL
March 27, 2013 at 1:56pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks Dana and vacox.
@Solraven- my mom like the silver one. But she said the black will work. She ask Which one you guys think would look best ?
@Jayme- I'm so happy for your suggestion. Had like them but didn't know they would work.
March 27, 2013 at 3:08pm     
eclecticoh
March 27, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh..please don't hate me if they don't work...they do look very cool...Pretty soon your place is gonna be "The Place"...on Houzz!! LOVE the silver too!! Your floors r so light is why I thought the black would "bounce" out!!
March 27, 2013 at 3:22pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- why would I ? .........really-that would be nice. Lol
March 27, 2013 at 3:49pm     
Darzy
BTW...the art that was too expensive was for a big one. A 34" x 24" is $79.00 at art.com. But, in reality, if you go to Home Goods, TJ MAX, Ross' there are some great size "canvas" art really inexpensive. Ross' frequently has a big canvas of a zebra's head (or abstract) for under $100. The zebra sounds bad but it actually looks really cool : )
March 27, 2013 at 5:00pm     
eclecticoh
Hmmm :( ......I think I have to find another chair.
The seat width is 14 inches and the current chair width is 18.
I'm afraid that it well be too small especially when their is guest.
March 28, 2013 at 3:48pm     
Jayme H.
Odd...the ones I looked at said 20 inches wide, 19 inches deep.
March 28, 2013 at 3:54pm   
eclecticoh
That's the dimension for the chair not for the seat. Was chatting with one of their sales rep. And they're confuse also. The black ones seat dimension is 15inches X 15inches.
March 28, 2013 at 5:06pm     
mytime001
Wow, a regional airline seat is 17 inches. But you have lots of room to spread!
March 28, 2013 at 5:28pm   
Jayme H.
Something seems odd..if the chair is 20 " wide, how can the seat be 15" wide...Weird.
March 28, 2013 at 5:39pm   
eclecticoh
@mytime001 - thank you for using airline/airplane as an example. That's one of my favourite. Love it .
@Jayme - yes it is . I guess the shoulder is 20 inch wide. Remember it has curves and a arm.
March 28, 2013 at 6:05pm     
Jayme H.
Hmmm. I am somewhat baffled, many of the chairs that I looked at for comparison were listed as being from 17 inches wide to 22"...on Overstock..so IDK what to go by, I guess. 15 inches seems too small..
March 28, 2013 at 8:28pm   
Jayme H.
Comments (0)

@eclecticoh
The following article describes how wide a seat should be ...if u build one, but I would think the concept for size of seat would apply.

Thinking about designing a chair but struggling with determining the dimensions and angles that will guarantee maximum comfort? Then let us introduce you to the guidelines established by the furniture industries. Keep in mind that they apply to an average-size 5' 10" adult sitting in an upright position. You may need to adjust the dimensions and angles slightly depending on the intended user's size and shape.

Also, to help with your visual understanding of chair design, we letter-keyed the guidelines for the seat, back, and armrest dimensions and angles to the drawings below. Now, try them out for a chair that looks right and feels great.

First, the seat

A) For the occupant's feet to rest flat on the floor with a knee angle of 90–100°, locate the seat 16–18" above the floor. If the chair will have a cushion, account for its compressed thickness in the seat height by subtracting half the cushion's thickness.

B) To allow clearance between the seat's front edge and the occupant's legs, make the seat 15–18" deep.

C) Aim for a seat width of 16–20". Depending on the chair's style and your preference, you can taper the seat 2–3" from front to back (1–1-1/2" per side). A wider front provides more leg room while a narrower back allows a little more elbow room.

D) For added comfort, particularly when the chair will not have a cushion, slope the seat 5–8° from front to back. This also helps keep the occupant from sliding forward. For an office or desk chair, though, it's best to forget the slope as a flat seat facilitates leaning forward.

Now, the back

E) To give lower-back support without interfering with the shoulders, plan for a back height of 12–16" above the seat for a casual chair and 20" (typical) for a formal chair.

F) Slant the back up to 5° for a formal chair and up to 15° for a casual chair. Keep in mind, though, that as the back angle increases, you need to up the seat angle (to maintain the seat-to-back angle between 90° and 100°) to prevent forward sliding and lower the seat height to keep the front edge of the seat from contacting the back of the legs.

G) To give "rear" clearance for hind parts, leave 3" of open space between the top of the seat and bottom of the lower backrest, or curve out the lower 4–8" of the backrest.

Finally, the armrests

H) For the armrests to support the forearms without elevating the shoulders, position them 7–9" above the seat. Be sure to check the table-apron height when determining the armrest height so the arms will slide under the apron.

I, J, K) Make armrests a minimum of 8" long, 2" wide, and spaced approximately 19" apart.

Click here to download these illustrations as a pdf

Complete Guide to Simple Furniture Projects
March 28, 2013 at 8:34pm     
eclecticoh
My mom like these chair
March 29, 2013 at 7:54am     
Jayme H.
Those look fine too.
March 29, 2013 at 7:58am     
bevballew
Your mom and I have the same taste. I like those much better. Not as trendy and contemporary.
March 29, 2013 at 8:31am     
eclecticoh
OK then I might get it.
March 29, 2013 at 12:18pm     
Jayme H.
The black will go well!! Dang, wish the metal could have worked for some texture...but...the black will add some character...And stand out well against the light flooring.
March 29, 2013 at 12:48pm     
eclecticoh
Yes I was hoping too.......wish they were bigger.
March 29, 2013 at 1:07pm     
Jayme H.
Disappointed in the way they give the dimensions...very deceiving.
March 29, 2013 at 1:08pm     
solraven
@Jayme, now I can't stop thinking about those red chairs! My dining table is very similar to the one in the picture, and those chairs would really look great in my dining room. I wasn't even looking for chairs yet! LOL...

Several times I have read, or thought about things for spaces on Houzz, and it helped solve one of my own dilemmas that I put on the back burner. :)

eclecticoh, have you made a final decision, or are you mulling it over a bit more?
March 30, 2013 at 11:50pm     
eclecticoh
i havent made one......went to walmart and didnt see the chairs . so i would have to buy it online. But still looking.
March 31, 2013 at 3:22pm     
Jayme H.
@solraven...I hope those chairs don't end up being too small!! The dimensions are deceiving, I do believe! eclecticoh was mentioning that the seats are 15 inches..
March 31, 2013 at 3:26pm     
eclecticoh
yes , they are. not even their representatives understand whats going on. I told them i hate to do returns so I am not getting it.
March 31, 2013 at 3:33pm     
Jayme H.
I hate returns too...a big pain...espec. if it's FOUR BIG CHAIRS!! LOL
March 31, 2013 at 3:40pm     
solraven
These are my current dining room chairs. I ordered them 5 yrs ago via Walmart.com without seeing them. My counter height kitchen table, and my ladder bookshelves also came from Walmart.com, sight unseen and most recently, my living room rug is from Walmart.com. I've had great success with buying from them online. Just check the reviews and item description, then listen to your gut. For me, the reward of such great bargains, was worth the risk.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Contemporary-Caf-eacute-Chair-Set-of-2-Java/6022494
March 31, 2013 at 6:02pm     
Jayme H.
@Solraven..I like your chairs! Glad u have had such good luck!
March 31, 2013 at 6:09pm     
solraven
Thanks Jayme! My main thing is that I prefer back heights that are close to the table height, which is harder to find without going ultra modern. Ever since you posted those red chairs, my mind has been working over time on finishing that space. Especially since it's the first thing you see when you walk in. I really should post pics on Houzz and see what other ideas the community comes up with. :)
March 31, 2013 at 6:21pm     
Jayme H.
@solraven..I really like those metal chairs too and I think something is odd with the way the dimensions are listed and what the representatives at Overstock are saying about the seat size...seems odd to be off five inches. I could see one or two.
March 31, 2013 at 6:29pm     
solraven
If the arm is an inch wide, plus the seat apron angles out, I could see it being a 16" seat, but it's really hard to say without seeing them.
March 31, 2013 at 6:42pm   
eclecticoh
Look at this.
March 31, 2013 at 6:43pm     
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh..NICE!!
March 31, 2013 at 6:45pm     
solraven
I can't believe how far you've come. It looks fantastic!
March 31, 2013 at 6:50pm     
eclecticoh
Guess !
what ?
I start sanding down the dinning table.

Thank you guys. I always remember you guys , even more when I'm in the space.
March 31, 2013 at 6:51pm     
Jayme H.
AWESOME!!!
March 31, 2013 at 6:54pm     
solraven
That's fantastic! ececticoh, you inspire me to complete my home decor. :)
March 31, 2013 at 7:07pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks. Actually they didn't believe I could sand it , and when they saw part of it sand - they said Continue. Have plenty more to do thou.
March 31, 2013 at 7:12pm     
solraven
LOL... that's funny. Did they think it was a veneer?
March 31, 2013 at 8:42pm   
eclecticoh
@Solraven-No they didn't. But idk why they didnt want me to.
Does this look better on the coffee table than the plant ?
April 1, 2013 at 8:28am     
Jayme H.
I like it
April 1, 2013 at 8:41am     
solraven
Yes, it does. But I must admit, I still feel a disconnect. I'm not sure what it is though. One thing that instantly put a smile on my face is seeing the book on the second shelf. It looks like you were reading, and placed it down, just where it should be. :)

I'm not sure what's off about the bowl. Maybe try a few books under it, or use Granny Smith apples in place of the balls. Hey, that could be your touch of green! :)
April 1, 2013 at 12:06pm     
bevballew
Better than the plant. Maybe it needs a few books added. Maybe a grouping of three things, with the bowl, the books and a taller 4 to 6 inch in diameter candle already in a container. Maybe like you said needs a color. Love your commitment to completing the project.
April 1, 2013 at 12:34pm     
solraven
@bev, I like your group of three idea with the books and low candle. I think the bowl looks lonely; it needs some friends. LOL..
April 1, 2013 at 12:45pm     
solraven
@Jayme, I kept meaning to tell you this, but forgot until this pic. I figured you were wondering how I knew eclecticoh was in S. FL. The tile floors and aluminum windows told me he was some place that was warm all year, and then he said my Ikea, was also, his Ikea. :) Before I moved here, I would have thought tile floors and aluminium windows were weird. After living here a few years, I completely understand. LOL...
April 1, 2013 at 12:53pm     
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
Wow, you have gotten some great advice here! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished room!
April 1, 2013 at 12:59pm     
bevballew
Thank you solraven. I had my rooms completed by a professional designer and that is what she has done on two coffee tables. I love candles for the ambience when I have company! From my observation often things should be in threes with three different heights.
April 1, 2013 at 1:22pm     
bevballew
Yes lonely solraven:( now it may have some buddies!! One that gives light and warmth and bring coziness! Lol!
April 1, 2013 at 1:24pm     
Jayme H.
In agreement something more could be addes to table...I do like the bowl and contents & think it looks dim in pic due to lighting.
April 1, 2013 at 2:08pm     
solraven
Yeah, I sometimes think I'm not seeing the room at it's fullest potential because of lack of illumination,which is surprising based on it's latitude location. That must be a north facing window because the S. FL sun is ridiculously bright, even when it's a little cloudy.
April 1, 2013 at 3:03pm     
eclecticoh
@Solraven - its facing west. But the picture is darker than it actually is.
Thanks.
I do agree that its missing something -
I'll try the suggestions. :)

Pictures below.
*Coffee table suggestion.
+ thats what is around the dinning table currently. Does that give us any idea ?
April 1, 2013 at 3:19pm     
eclecticoh
April 1, 2013 at 3:20pm     
eclecticoh
I think its the camera. Because sometimes the sun is even sitting down in the room.
April 1, 2013 at 3:26pm     
eclecticoh
What's your thoughts ?
April 1, 2013 at 3:39pm   
solraven
Look at all of that sunshine!! I was wondering where it has been all day. I have clouds and rain!

I love the warm light in the top left pic. If we could capture that feeling. I think the grouping is an improvement. The items look less lonely. It's off, but moving in the right direction. I'd play around w/ it some more. I'd start by removing the red tray. :)
April 1, 2013 at 3:41pm     
eclecticoh
@Solraven- it was raining earlier.
OK ....I will
April 1, 2013 at 3:56pm     
bevballew
Candle next to books, not on books. One large candle. You know how they sell candles already in a glass container. That is the kind of candle, one large one just in the container. Probably a cream colored one. Target has nice ones. home goods probably does too. Candle next to books. Two books one on top of the other, alone. You just have to play with it moving it around. No tray under candle as it will be in glass. Maybe even a hurricane glass not too tall with a candle in it, cream colored candle. You need the candle about 8 inches tall, maybe a bulkier one. I would try some green applies in bowl just to see how the color works.
April 1, 2013 at 4:03pm     
solraven
What Bev said. LOL... :)
April 1, 2013 at 4:08pm     
solraven
BTW, it's pouring right now! You can have your rain back! LOL...
April 1, 2013 at 4:08pm     
eclecticoh
@bevballew - lol....sorry .Great suggestion.
@Solraven- you can send back the rain. My favourite weather.
April 1, 2013 at 4:33pm     
solraven
It's absolutely pouring, yet through the rain, I can see a gorgeous sunset. LOL...
April 1, 2013 at 4:48pm     
eclecticoh
OK.
@solraven- when it rains it gives me a good feeling within. I love the sound too lol
Probably because rain is apart of my name.
April 1, 2013 at 5:19pm     
solraven
I do love the sound of downpours, but by the time it down-poured, I had a day of gloomy, so I was over it. However, my dry grass got watered... a lot! And... the pool filled up about 2 inches. So that was super great!
April 1, 2013 at 5:28pm     
Jayme H.
I like the smell after a rain...and I like to plant shrubs and plants when it's raining outside, have done so many times.
April 1, 2013 at 6:45pm     
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh....is rain in your first name?
April 1, 2013 at 6:46pm   
bevballew
What did I say that was so funny? I hate explaining what I am trying to say on here and the iPad adds words it thinks it should! Maybe I did not explain myself well?
April 1, 2013 at 7:27pm     
Jayme H.
@bevballew...u did a great job explaining! Thx for helping out!
April 1, 2013 at 7:35pm     
bevballew
Thank you Jayme:)
April 1, 2013 at 7:43pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- yes it is. Just two letters missing one before and one after rain.
@bevballew- no worries , you did explain well.
When you said "Candle next to books, not on books." Is what made me smile . But was funny that I misunderstood and didnt put it the way I was suppose to based on your previous explaination.
April 1, 2013 at 8:07pm     
solraven
@bev, I was laughing because you typed what I was thinking, so I just said, "What Bev said," and giggled because you typed what I was thinking. I thought it was funny that we were thinking the same thing. :)
April 1, 2013 at 8:57pm     
bevballew
Glad for a good laugh! Great minds work together solraven! You both have me smiling and giggling! Thought it cute eclecticoh you put the candle on the book... No offense but it was more of the decorator touch of a guy!!
April 2, 2013 at 6:58pm     
solraven
It's just part of eclecticoh's charm and why we all want to adopt him. :)
April 2, 2013 at 7:11pm     
oneofeleven
I like your table with just the bowl of balls on it. It's nice and simple and shows off the table.
April 2, 2013 at 7:16pm     
eclecticoh
@bevballew - thank you
@Solraven- really , thanks for being nice.
@oneofeleven- ok thank you i'll try to meet in the middle.
@Jayme- what's going on ? Thank you for liking the comments. Lol
April 2, 2013 at 8:01pm     
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh...Not much here..cleaning things up...How's it going with u?
April 2, 2013 at 8:24pm     
eclecticoh
OK.....I'm here looking through airliners.net etc and also looking for dinning chairs.
April 2, 2013 at 8:32pm     
Jayme H.
Cool..what is airliners.net?
April 2, 2013 at 8:35pm   
eclecticoh
http://www.airliners.net
Aviation site , that has forums , discussions , news, and photos dealing with aviation etc.
April 2, 2013 at 8:52pm     
Jayme H.
But they don't sell dining room chairs???
April 2, 2013 at 9:00pm     
eclecticoh
Lol...oh I wasn't looking for dinning chairs there. Sorry I word my sentence wrong. I meant to say I'm on airliners.net and also I am Googling dinning chairs.
April 2, 2013 at 9:06pm     
Jayme H.
LOL...I know...I was joking around!!
April 2, 2013 at 9:17pm     
eclecticoh
OK , I think I'm going ahead and get these chairs.
Didn't find any other within my budget.
April 8, 2013 at 12:19pm     
eclecticoh
What's going on everyone ?
I am here again !

UPDATE : DINNING AREA
New dinning chairs.
What do you think ?
April 14, 2013 at 4:58am     
Genevieve
You could also add a task light in a corner those usually come handy :) The chairs are lovely but according to the style that is Mission and your table that is Colonial they really don't belong with it ,either get a new table or get chairs that are Colonial.

Look at the legs of your table and try to find somthing like these
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=colonial+chairs&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=B9D705BEF7025DE3EAB737486BECB0D751A2481C&selectedIndex=75
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=task+light+&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=3ED2DAD66DF50FF044A7BF91293F3449CFA96D6D&selectedIndex=23
April 14, 2013 at 5:08am   
eclecticoh
@.Genevieve- thanks , I don't think I would change the chairs - maybe the table. I love the way they look.
I like the task light - was considering getting one but the price......
April 14, 2013 at 5:23am     
Genevieve
April 14, 2013 at 5:38am     
vacox
I love the look of the table and chairs--I'm not a designer so I didn't notice the legs were different styles. I like the contrast between the black chairs and the light table. I also like the tall vase & flowers you put on the table. Genevieve, what if he painted the legs and table skirt black? Or went thrift shopping and got 4 straight legs that match (would be lucky) or that he painted black? Thinking about money....
April 14, 2013 at 6:05am     
eclecticoh
Thanks for the suggestion . But prob in the future I'll change the table- If anything right now is improving it . I just think its a mix of modern and colonial together. The lamp is more promising.
April 14, 2013 at 6:07am     
eclecticoh
@Vacox- thank you.
April 14, 2013 at 6:08am   
Jayme H.
I didn't realize the table was big enough to fit 2 chairs on each side!! Chairs look fine~!! Are you going to add any chairs at head of table? Or u could try one chair on each side, and one on each end.
April 14, 2013 at 6:13am     
eclecticoh
Can I add these.
April 14, 2013 at 6:47am   
bevballew
Looks very nice. Flower arrangement looks good there!
April 14, 2013 at 7:29am     
Jayme H.
Something like these types at the head of table would mix it up...
April 14, 2013 at 8:07am     
oneofeleven
maybe add some placemats or a table runner with your colours of red and black
April 14, 2013 at 9:10am     
Jayme H.
I posted some chairs 2 hrs ago..not showing up
April 14, 2013 at 9:11am   
Jayme H.
The chairs I posted were $109 for pair of 2 from Overstock...they add contemporary to the mix.
April 14, 2013 at 9:34am     
eclecticoh
Thanks to all.
@Jayme- nice. In what color.
Thats the only thing need to add to the dinning table. Anymore suggestion.
April 14, 2013 at 9:50am     
Jayme H.
I like the orange ones..but u don't have any orange in the room, do u? The rug has a greenish? And yellowish?
April 14, 2013 at 9:55am     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- I have greenish but no orange
April 14, 2013 at 11:19am   
Jayme H.
Colored chairs would look good there....the ones I posted r the ones on sale..HMMM
April 14, 2013 at 2:37pm     
eclecticoh
I like the table and chairs together. I love the colonial with the contemporary chairs......I know we do because we don't stop looking at it . The chairs really looks better like this around the table.

More pictures below.
Note : The light is not that bright.
PLEASE I AM ASKING YOU TO EXCUSE THE PICTURES THAT ARE HANGED. I HAVEN'T MADE ANY IMPROVEMENT THERE AS YET.
April 14, 2013 at 4:58pm     
eclecticoh
April 14, 2013 at 5:03pm     
Jayme H.
Much better!! I like it this way better!!
April 14, 2013 at 5:06pm     
April 14, 2013 at 5:28pm     
eclecticoh
Do you think , painting the legs black would make it look better ?
@oneofeleven - I like that site....great ideas.
April 14, 2013 at 5:42pm     
oneofeleven
glad you like, I do too. You can spend a lot of time there, too much time!
April 14, 2013 at 6:06pm     
solraven
I like just the four chairs around the table, but I do love the idea of introducing orange. I've always loved the way reds and oranges look together. The pillows on my sofas are dark red and burnt orange. Hmmm... I bet orange would look great against your sofas, in the form of a throw pillow or throw.

The office chairs still give me a chuckle, because we're doing the same thing. When I see the right chairs, I'll pick them up, but for now, I don't mind using the office chairs, since they are the most comfortable chairs in the house. I'll have to post a pic. It's so funny that we have the same color scheme right now. :)

BTW, did you notice a traditional table w/ very similar chairs on the website? :) It was under the color American Eagle. Merlot Red had a traditional table paired with mid century modern chairs, so it's safe to say your mission chairs are in good company. :)
April 14, 2013 at 10:12pm     
eclecticoh
@Solraven- thanks
Do you think I could use orange throw and my current throw pillows together?
I'm trying to find somewhere to keep the office chairs when not in use.
The closet behind the dinning table is where the computer , house phone , TV etc is.
I'm really thinking about painting the dinning table legs black.
April 15, 2013 at 7:11am     
Jayme H.
You could stain your top a little darker and paint the legs black? Or clear coat your top if u like it light.
April 15, 2013 at 8:01am     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- yes I would use the clear coat because I would want it to have the same light natural wood color as the lamp base
April 15, 2013 at 9:26am     
solraven
Oh, I think an orange throw w/ the brown pillows would look great. The brown calms down the bright colors, and using orange w/ the red sofa, gives the two colors' brightness, dimension.

As for the office chairs, I would only keep them if I had someplace to put them, otherwise, I would just go w/ 4 chairs. Is it comfortable for 6 people to be at the table? People might end up sitting around the sofa, just to have elbow room. I would ask your parents to just use the dining chairs, for a while, and see if they even need to keep the office chairs. If there was a separate office, then I'd say keep them and pull them out when you absolutely need them, otherwise, the excess seating will make the room feel closed in and cluttered. With just four chairs at the dining table, it feels generous for those sitting around it.

As for the table legs, I like the idea of just dipping the first 8", or so, of each leg, in black paint. It'll tie in the colors, but still keep the table primarily, natural wood. If you decide that you don't like the dipped look, then just continue on, and finish the legs.
April 15, 2013 at 12:36pm     
eclecticoh
What type of rug/mat would look good at the door/entry way ?
April 17, 2013 at 6:06am   
solraven
That's a good question. It does look like it needs something, but an area rug, big enough for the dining table would spill into the walkway space. Hmmm... maybe a runner from the entryway into the room. It'll define the eating area, and add bit of warmth to that area. What do you think?

How long is the walk way from the entrance to the end of the kitchen wall?
April 17, 2013 at 9:09pm     
eclecticoh
The kitchen wall is about 8ft in length.
I was wondering if an area rug at the dinning area would make the place smaller and heavy, also it would probably have to be a plain rug since the living room area rug is multi.
April 18, 2013 at 7:20am     
Jayme H.
One thing I don't like about area rugs under tables is cleaning issues. We are messy at our house though. If I were to put one under your dining table, I would go a solid, light shade (maybe light tan/off white, sisal)-because idk if dark would make room look chopped up-, and it would need to be large enough to extend beyond table far enough for chairs to sit on it and not get stuck on it when u push and pull chairs to table...which could spill over into walkway, maybe? Or a large oval one, maybe wouldn't do that.
April 18, 2013 at 7:33am     
solraven
Right now area around the dining table looks a little cold, so I don't think it will make it feel too heavy, as long as it's a soft neutral color, and flat or tight weave, like Jayme mentioned. Keeping the area clean depends on the occupants. Since it's just your parents living in the space, and their children are adults, I doubt that will be a problem. If they often had children over, then a rug, under the dining table, may not last.
April 18, 2013 at 9:50am     
oneofeleven
how about an indoor/outdoor rug with a matching mat for in front of the door?
April 18, 2013 at 10:04am     
Jayme H.
Ha ha ...at my house, one of the adults is one of the worst perpetrators!! (Messy)...but eclecticoh's parent's home looks very neat and clean!! It does look bare around the table..so having something on the floor would likely warm it up some!!
April 18, 2013 at 12:45pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
You have a lot of red. In the future do not buy matching pieces. If you can't sell it and buy new, like a sectional with a chaise on one end, I don't know what to do. Drapes are pretty but too formal for red leather. Picture over sofa too high hang 4" from top of sofa. But, replace with bigger picture, no red. If you get sec. Go round coffee table.
April 18, 2013 at 12:50pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
If budget doesn't allow buying new. Remove striped sofa move larger sofa to that spot. Move end table to corner by window. And floor lamp to other end of window. Lower picture. Get round coffee table. Thrift store are a good place to look for furn. Have them pick up furn you want out. Use that table with pictures over it next to sofa as end table with a tall lamp on it. Remove those pictures. Not sure what that was use for. Is there room for a media with a TV?
April 18, 2013 at 12:57pm     
bevballew
You missed a lot of changes Travis. Striped sofa gone. Media center purchased which is across from the red couch. Coffee table new. He is deciding what to do in eating area.
April 18, 2013 at 1:05pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
If going for new end tables, dining and coffee table. Go dark. It never gies out of style. Go round glass & wood for coffee table. That back wall perfect for flat screen big 50" will take up wall. Low media center is way to go check target. New rt will help to go big pieces, small. If you have carpet do. Not put down area rug. No rug over rug ever.
April 18, 2013 at 1:05pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
I just read comments. See you have thing under control. Love what you did. Looks great. What a good son you are.
April 18, 2013 at 1:11pm     
bevballew
Travis...not sure if you have followed the tons of posts but it seemed you had looked at the very top pic so I thought to bringing you up to snuff of some of the main facts that have transpired. I hope I did not sound abrasive as that was not what I was saying...just wanted you to cut to the chase because you always have great input and ideas and I can't wait to hear them!!!
April 18, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Jayme H.
We've been in a holding pattern for awhile..but several of us continue to lurk the peripheries!! LOL
April 18, 2013 at 1:24pm     
solraven
@Jayme, LMAO!! Messy children can be taught, but a messy adult??? Forget the rug! LOL... You know what's funny? When I read what you said about rugs under the dining table, it made me think years back, when I had another couple over for dinner. After they had left, I was cleaning up and I noticed that my girlfriend's new beau had nearly a box of bread crumbs all over the table where he sat, his chair, and enough on the floor to keep Hansel and Gretel, circling for days! LOL...

Fortunately, my beau appreciates things that look neat, uncluttered and organized. I posted a brief bit about him on the "Pantry" thread.

April 18, 2013 at 1:48pm     
solraven
@eclecticoh, how does your table look turned in the other direction? The rule of thumb for dining area rugs is for the rug to extend 2' out on all sides, so when you pull your chair in and out, you'll always stay on the rug. However, rules are meant to be broken. :) I'm going to guess that the table is 5' x 3'. If you found a rug that's 8' x 5', it may work well by defining the area and give warmth, without overwhelming the space or making the floor look heavy. Target had a few really nice rugs in the store. You may want to check them out.
April 18, 2013 at 1:56pm     
Jayme H.
Wondering if an indoor/outdoor natural woven type rug would do it? Many stores carry those at reasonable prices.
April 18, 2013 at 1:58pm     
Jayme H.
I just saw on another thread that Homedecorators has a sale ..good deals on these types of rugs, apparently.
April 18, 2013 at 2:28pm     
Jayme H.
How about one such as this? (Overstock)
April 18, 2013 at 2:45pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- yes I do think the light shade will work.
Thanks for the reference. I'll check the prices.
@Solraven- great guess. I measured 4.8' x 3' .
Yes the rug would probably fit better if the table is position vertically.
@Bevballew- thanks for updating travisinteriors.
@Oneofeleven- good suggestion , that might work too.
@Travisinteriors- thanks for your comment , great suggestions - as you see some of your suggestion has taken place.
April 18, 2013 at 3:12pm     
oneofeleven
1You're such a polite person, I appreciate your acknowledgments.
April 18, 2013 at 3:23pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks oneofeleven
April 18, 2013 at 3:41pm     
bevballew
Yes it is so kind you acknowledge. Thank you!!
April 18, 2013 at 6:37pm     
Jayme H.
We have a nice bunch on this thread...so refreshing!!
April 18, 2013 at 6:41pm     
Jayme H.
No snark ever!! Snark is not needed, not helpful...not constructive...proud of our thread!!
April 18, 2013 at 7:57pm     
eclecticoh
Look at these. Would it go with the space?
April 19, 2013 at 5:50am     
oneofeleven
I looked at your link and I think the lamp on the left is too large for your space, I think to really appreciate it you would need a room with highter ceilings. I like the one on the right, definitely.
April 19, 2013 at 9:21am     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven- I wasn't even noticing that , thank you for pointing that out.
April 19, 2013 at 10:18am     
Jayme H.
Agree with oneofeleven!!
April 19, 2013 at 10:27am     
eclecticoh
So the target one will work.
I wonder if they have a option to get a darker shade , since I didn't achieve that in the table lamp. http://m.target.com/p/threshold-arc-floor-lamp-silver/-/A-14217267?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14217267&CPNG=Lighting&kpid=14217267&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14217267
April 19, 2013 at 12:46pm     
solraven
The lamp will come w/ a shade, but you can always change out your shade.
April 19, 2013 at 12:54pm     
eclecticoh
So what do you think?
Is that lamp good
April 19, 2013 at 1:24pm     
bevballew
Where is the lamp going? Dining area? Maybe just a red or mixed color with red in it table runner? Or placemats?
April 19, 2013 at 5:58pm     
solraven
Where are you putting the lamp?
April 19, 2013 at 9:53pm   
eclecticoh
So far Most suggest it go in the other corner of the window .based on suggestions that include floor lamps
April 19, 2013 at 9:54pm   
eclecticoh
Did some changes .
Do you think we could bring in more orange into the room ?
I think thinking of painting the lamp orange.
What's your opinion ?
April 20, 2013 at 6:57am     
Jayme H.
Which corner were u thinking for the floor lamp? I do think orange accents could be added into your room.
April 20, 2013 at 7:03am     
eclecticoh
In this corner
April 20, 2013 at 7:15am   
Jayme H.
Should work there- I think, but it looks like the kind u put near furniture to hang over.
April 20, 2013 at 7:18am     
Jayme H.
May still be fine...what do the others think?
April 20, 2013 at 7:59am     
Elinor Rowlands
Paint the table legs black if you haven't already. It will bring the chairs and table together but also the whole room with your black accents throughout the room
April 20, 2013 at 8:07am     
Elinor Rowlands
What did you do with the other sofa (there are over 250 comments here so can't read them all)
April 20, 2013 at 8:08am     
eclecticoh
The stripe sofa bed is in another room. My mom is not ready to throw it out.
April 20, 2013 at 8:21am   
Jayme H.
The lamp is nice..I just worry about light things getting lost on the light walls and against light floor as well..Maybe with a black shade? I think u mentioned changing the shade already.
April 20, 2013 at 8:34am     
eclecticoh
Yes
April 20, 2013 at 8:57am   
Elinor Rowlands
Perhaps not now if your budget is tight but what would pull the room together even more would be a dark wood or coloured (not white) buffet or console table or side board next to the sofa and behind the dining room table against the wall and I'd also go for a bigger art work above it. If you can't afford much buy a really big canvas and then just add some paint to it yourself (have a splash of red in there). On the console table put some ornaments in brighter colours like red, green and any other colours you already have accented in the room or a big vase of flowers and some photo frames.
April 20, 2013 at 9:07am   
oneofeleven
try the lamp and if you don't like it you can always return it. Are you thinking of getting a lamp because you need more light or because you want to fill the space? I wouldn't personally paint the lamp orange but the lampshade might be good. Here is an idea I found on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/pin/234750199299321975/ if you wanted colour in the shade you could use coloured paper.
April 20, 2013 at 9:19am     
Jayme H.
sorry eclecticoh..just scrolled back to look at lamp...I was thinking it was silver on the base...it's not...prob. would be fine.
April 20, 2013 at 10:03am     
solraven
I like that lamp a lot, but am not feeling it for that corner. Jayme, you're right; it is silver. I think that corner needs something tall and straight, maybe something like this: http://www.target.com/p/square-floor-lamp-with-paper-shade-and-shelves-black-beige/-/A-10448543#prodSlot=large_1_9 I also like that this give you a little bit of side shelf, if you should need it, but they don't need to be used

Ironically, it also comes w/ a red shade and it's on sale. I don't think red is right, but it can give you an idea of what bright orange will look like.

I also like this one: http://www.target.com/p/floor-lamp-with-shelf-black-red-includes-cfl-bulbs/-/A-13788704#prodSlot=large_1_11

Unfortunately, this lamp isn't getting great reviews. http://www.target.com/p/threshold-floor-lamp-with-mica-shade/-/A-14217274 I have the original, of this lamp. They change the design, and judging by the reviews, the quality, but I do still love the style.

Jayme, here's eclecticoh's original. It's silver. :( http://www.target.com/p/threshold-arc-floor-lamp-includes-cfl-bulb/-/A-14217268#prodSlot=large_2_14
April 20, 2013 at 11:55am     
eclecticoh
@Elinor Rowland - sounds good , but I am worried I don't have enough space. The big canvas will look good.
@oneofeleven- great idea. I need both more light and also to fill the space.
@Solraven- I like the square floor lamp , but they don't have it in orange
April 20, 2013 at 1:00pm     
Jayme H.
$88 at overstock.com Just a thought as don't want it to overwhelm the corner
April 20, 2013 at 1:09pm     
solraven
eclecticoh, I prefer the beige shade, which will look nice against the dark curtain panels. :D
April 20, 2013 at 1:14pm     
solraven
BTW, I like how you've arranged the shelves around the TV. It's very clean, simple and appealing to the eye. :) Great job!
April 20, 2013 at 1:15pm     
Jayme H.
This one is $51.99 at Target. Has black legs.
April 20, 2013 at 1:27pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks .
Wow I have so much to choose from.
Confuse now .......lol
April 20, 2013 at 2:39pm     
Jayme H.
IDK..the tripod one may spread out well in that space vs. the other one I posted..
April 20, 2013 at 2:54pm     
solraven
OT: Holy hurricane! What was that?!! LOL... Power's back on. I love FPL. They're the Verizon of electric power. :)
April 20, 2013 at 3:47pm   
solraven
I agree Jayme. The base should be something that takes up a bit of visual space.
April 20, 2013 at 3:48pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme -finding it hard to find that tripod lamp.....do you have the link.
@Solraven - it was pouring with winds. I'm happy it caught me at the door.
April 20, 2013 at 5:05pm     
Jayme H.
I just went to target and searched floor lamps...then black for color choices...
April 20, 2013 at 5:07pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- the lamp is currently unavailable.
also , i was reading the reviews and they mention that its much lighter in color than the picture.
April 20, 2013 at 5:31pm   
Jayme H.
Dang, that's too bad...Maybe a similar one could be found..
April 20, 2013 at 6:28pm     
solraven
A quick search on CL yielded pretty decent results. The first one from C & B is super nice. It's chrome but it's not something a can of matte black spray paint can't fix. :)

The last three just happend to be the ones I showed you from Target. The last two, with the rust lamp, isn't the one that's available now, it's the nicer, better made lamp, that Target used to sell. It's the one that I currently own and have always liked it. I wish I could find that color lamp shade, with a more substantial base, but the price is right. :)
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/fuo/3701710255.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/fuo/3687936138.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/fuo/3742658011.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/fuo/3677586722.html
April 20, 2013 at 11:03pm     
Jayme H.
I like that crate and barrel one!! But $20 for the black one is a great deal..that will go fast!
April 21, 2013 at 7:00am     
Elinor Rowlands
RE: console table/side board. They make them in lots of different sizes. What you can do is measure your space and then go look for some either online or in shops with your required measurements. I live in the UK so don't know the types of shops you have over there but Ikea does some really reasonable sideboards. You have plenty of space, and you can always turn the table round so the two chairs have their backs to the sideboard. I also would remove the office chairs from the table. Only add them when you have guests and need them extra. This sideboard is more quirky and modern: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100190/ whereas this is more classic but still modern: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00117024/ This would also look really modern and add a touch of elegance to your dining space: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70138136/
April 22, 2013 at 5:30am   
PRO
Mike BROUSE fine art
original artwork is always preferred over prints
April 22, 2013 at 8:56am   
eclecticoh
UPDATE :
Added floor lamp.
The lamps really add more lighting and also I bought new GE's CFL bulb (energy star)
*was looking for wall art and orange throw in target but I did.find any that i think will go with the space.

Whats your opinion?
April 24, 2013 at 6:47pm     
oneofeleven
I think you're just about there. I like the new lamp, it works well in that space. Have you made any more changes in the dining room?
April 24, 2013 at 7:08pm     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven- thanks , no i havent made any more changes in the dinning room.
I really want a wall art that i could move that one in the diining area.
also do you guys think i need to add some accents etc. to the lamp shelves.
April 24, 2013 at 7:22pm     
vacox
Things look great! Good job! Do your parents love it?
April 24, 2013 at 7:23pm     
eclecticoh
yes alot. :)
April 24, 2013 at 7:31pm     
oneofeleven
If you put something on those shelves I think you should take some stuff off of the television stand or it will look cluttered. Maybe you could throw a few baskets on the television stand to mix up the look and put some of the things you replaced with a basket on the lamp shelves.
April 24, 2013 at 8:00pm     
solraven
I love it! Now I realize why I liked that lamp for your room; it has squares, like the TV shelf, and balances out the roundness of the sofas. As far as putting stuff on the shelves. I like the look of the clean lines. The only thing it should have on it, is a cup of coffee, that you're currently drinking, and a book, that you're currently reading. :)
April 24, 2013 at 10:55pm     
eclecticoh
Thank you all.
Day picture.
April 25, 2013 at 11:40am     
Jayme H.
I love it!! Great job! Looking cool in there!!
April 25, 2013 at 2:54pm     
solraven
Wow... the room is really coming along. It's amazing how much that lamp brought the room together. That corner really needed something, and I kept thinking of a tall plant, but you had it right all along; it needed a lamp. You really are getting good at this! :)
April 25, 2013 at 7:05pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks very much ......and also for your suggestions , it help me choose the right lamp.
April 26, 2013 at 1:26pm     
solraven
What do you think about Granny Smiths for some added green?
April 26, 2013 at 3:40pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Why so much around TV? Remove half of it. Looks clutter. Less is more.
April 26, 2013 at 3:44pm   
Jayme H.
Another thing that may look cool...a huge colorful bowl filled with fruit...I have an enormous orange bowl that looks like it's sides are orange peels...it's textured to look like an orange. U can go pretty large in size.
April 26, 2013 at 3:45pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
All furn does not need to match. I would get rid of one of the sofas and replace with 2 chairs not too big. In a simple print. Check Ikea.
April 26, 2013 at 3:46pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
End table is fine, but get a much taller bigger lamp. Tan shade.
April 26, 2013 at 3:47pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
No fake flowers!!
April 26, 2013 at 3:48pm   
Jayme H.
@travis...we already took out a striped sofa bed...Now we have the 2 leather sofas that they want to keep...looks a lot better...look at the start. pics..:)
April 26, 2013 at 3:49pm     
solraven
Oooo... Jayme! That could bring in orange AND green! Do you have a pic?
April 26, 2013 at 3:50pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
I know I late on comments I really like the green dining chairs.
April 26, 2013 at 3:50pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
A big ,mirror on dining rm wall would be great it will fill in wall.
April 26, 2013 at 3:55pm     
Jayme H.
@solraven..of my bowl? No, I could take one..but don't know if it would do it justice...it's a large, bigger than large mixing bowl ..bowl...I fill it up with multicolored fruits, etc... Maybe a lower sided bowl would show more fruit..and take up more table space on ecelectcoh's table?..(My table it round)...?
April 26, 2013 at 3:56pm   
solraven
A mirror would look nice. :)
April 26, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
By front door check Ikea they have some nice round small rugs that would work. What ever color you decide on chairs, should be color of rug. Check Ikea for ary. Some really big pieces behind sofa. Remember hang low no more than 5" above back if sofa.
April 26, 2013 at 3:58pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
You need area rug under dining table. 8x10 is size you need. Don't go smaller . A print with colors from other rug is good. They don't have to match.
April 26, 2013 at 4:00pm   
solraven
@Jayme, yes of your bowl. That's a pic of my dining room table, but I like your idea better! You could improve two dining rooms with one bowl! LOL...
April 26, 2013 at 4:02pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
No orange!
April 26, 2013 at 4:02pm   
solraven
Yes Orange!!!! LOL...
April 26, 2013 at 4:03pm     
Jayme H.
But now I am afraid my bowl won't measure up!! (feelings of bowl insecurity)!! LOL
April 26, 2013 at 4:04pm     
Jayme H.
that's your table ...Oh goodness, I need to look closer before I comment..thought it was eclecticoh's!! LOL I'll work on a pic...I use my phone and the pics look like crap..I could get hubby to use his I phone in a bit!
April 26, 2013 at 4:05pm     
solraven
omg.... you're out of your mind! LOL... You have amazing ideas! That bowl went to a 44" round, dark table in my old place. It's only here because you haven't shown me a better one. You know, if you don't show us, eclecticoh and I will have to settle for a fruit bowl look that's meant for another table. :(
April 26, 2013 at 4:08pm     
Jayme H.
I am glad u finally realized I am cracked!! (bout time)...OK ..i'll get a pic up soon!! LOL
April 26, 2013 at 4:12pm     
solraven
As soon as you mentioned an orange bowl, I started looking them up on the web. The only reason I added the mango to the bowl is because the light, muted table (and green sofas) look better w/ some kind of orangy reds. But!... a low orange bowl would look even better! =)

PS: and I just wanted to take a picture, of the perfect mango, that fell off of the tree today. LOL...
April 26, 2013 at 4:19pm   
solraven
818?
April 26, 2013 at 4:21pm   
Jayme H.
Oh...we must be up to 818 comments now. If it bothers someone they can always bypass it.
April 26, 2013 at 4:25pm     
solraven
Oh, I thought it was code, like 5-0 is code for the cops. LOL... 818 comments would be comments about orange bowls. ;)
April 26, 2013 at 4:27pm     
Jayme H.
51 5-O.. Somebody call the Po Po!!
April 26, 2013 at 4:28pm     
Jayme H.
And take a pic of my bo-bowl!!
April 26, 2013 at 4:29pm     
vacox
Have you all been having Friday evening drinkie-poos? LOL
April 26, 2013 at 4:43pm     
Jayme H.
@vacox...just 2 miller lites in several hours, so if my calculations are correct, at the rate the average person utilizes alcohol...I am stone cold sober..So it must just be weirdness! LOL
April 26, 2013 at 4:57pm     
Darzy
Jayme...you 51-50? lol nawwww..
April 26, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Jayme H.
Darzy..U just made the 830th comment and it forced me to make the 831st!! lol
April 26, 2013 at 5:21pm     
solraven
I wasn't drinking then, but I am now!! LOL... Thus far, I've only had one Guinness... but that's about to change. :D
April 26, 2013 at 6:01pm   
eclecticoh
Wow ....where can I start ? Lol
@Travisinteriors - I didn't know you would forget this thread since the first time we update you. :(
But thanks again for your suggestions.

* I just think the red need something close in color to compete with. Both will not overpower each other at the end but will create a fun , happy , tropical , natural and calm feeling when put together. I feeling the red still need to be tamed lol.

And thanks all again for your support and also for keeping this thread alive.
It motivates me more and make me more excited and happy into doing this.
Currently , I start back to save so every chance I get to pinch some out I do to make an improvement . So I'm still into doing this. :)
April 26, 2013 at 6:40pm     
oneofeleven
If this has motivated you to save to make your home more comfortable, that's great! I'm happy for you electicoh.
April 26, 2013 at 6:48pm     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven-im saving for something else ...
But thanks a lot.
April 26, 2013 at 7:07pm     
solraven
Jayme, just letting you know that I'm on the prowl for a low, wide, burnt orange or cranberry colored fruit bowl/basket. :) I know you meant it for eclecticoh, but I might have to steal it for my own table. :) eclecticoh, I hope you don't mind. :)

I have come to the conclusion that decorating requires either a professional, or a village. LOL... Yesterday, as I was placing a fresh-from-our-tree mango in the dining table fruit bowl, I thought of eclecticoh's table and thought that something similar would work for him. After taking a picture, although the bowl of fruit does look fresh, the bowl would look better if it was wider and lower.... and orange! :)
April 27, 2013 at 9:19am     
eclecticoh
@solraven- where is the picture?
April 27, 2013 at 11:27am   
solraven
@eclecticoh, of my table? Just above all of our chatter. :)
April 27, 2013 at 4:20pm     
Jayme H.
I tried to get the bowl pic on here..had some difficulty..then a long work day...so I will try to get one on soon!
April 27, 2013 at 6:33pm     
eclecticoh
Oh that pic. I first thought it was from houzz. Nice pic.
April 27, 2013 at 7:47pm     
bevballew
It is so nice you guys enjoy each others company, tho it is quite a hoot that I have more emails re your social correpondence than the decorating! Glad you are having fun! You must all live in the same area!?
April 27, 2013 at 7:52pm     
solraven
@eclecticoh, I told you my table and chairs had the same color scheme as yours. :) If you thought it was a pic off of Houzz, that means you didn't notice the head of my vacuum cleaner, sitting on a long box with a set of blinds in them. What you can't see is my old table, that needs to be put on ebay, sitting in the corner. Watching you decorate inspires me to finish my own spaces. :)
April 27, 2013 at 10:06pm     
eclecticoh
Im back...........
what do you guys think of this wall art.
Image dimensions: 40 inches high x 40 inches wide http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bailey-Apex-I-Oversized-Canvas-Art/3917457/product.html
May 7, 2013 at 4:23pm     
nononanna
I love it! Really positive colors
May 7, 2013 at 4:32pm     
bevballew
Much, much better! Very nice! Helps with adding other colors in both rooms!
May 7, 2013 at 4:38pm     
Jayme H.
I like it a lot!
May 7, 2013 at 4:44pm     
Jayme H.
And I see u are bargain hunting at overstock!! I have rubbed off on you! LOL
May 7, 2013 at 4:58pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme - Lol , thank you for doing that . i really need a bargain right now on some wall art.
how would that look ?
May 7, 2013 at 5:34pm   
Jayme H.
A more rectangular would prob. look better...but maybe it could be worked out...Moved a tad to one side and two smaller pics, stacked on top of each other, right next to it...Or something to add balance to each side...do u know what I mean?
May 7, 2013 at 5:37pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme-agree that a rectangular one would look much better.
what about this one ? is it too big
72 in. W x 36 in. H
May 7, 2013 at 5:51pm     
Jayme H.
How wide is sofa?...That pic is 6 feet wide...hmmm
May 7, 2013 at 5:57pm     
bevballew
Definitely a wider picture. I was thinking that pic would go in dining area. It does not work at all above the sofa and I don't think adding pics like Jayme suggested is going to give the look you may want. The one above is very nice and introduces the orange you were talking about.
May 7, 2013 at 6:00pm     
eclecticoh
May 7, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Jayme H.
May be too wide...what do the others have to say?
May 7, 2013 at 6:28pm     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
If you like any particular image, we can change its width x height proportion to fit your space. Any of our abstract images can be resized like that. And, if needed, we can also adjust any colors, like shown below... Raisa Ornament B giclee art print by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg Ornament A giclee art print by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg
May 7, 2013 at 6:36pm   
eclecticoh
@its a beautiful world - your prices look like its out of my budget.

@ Jayme - yea Size is one of the dileamma here.
May 7, 2013 at 6:43pm   
bevballew
I am afraid it might be too wide also. Can you put paper up there the length of the picture? Tho, professional designers will probably be able to tell you immediately without putting paper up.
May 7, 2013 at 6:51pm     
solraven
I like both pics, but agree that rectangular is the way to go, above the sofa. I think the 72" triptych would be too long. Plus, I'm not sure if the measurements include the space between paintings. I also think it should have less height to width. The triptych is 2 to 1 (72" x 36"), something like 3 to 2 (60" x 40") would look better, IMHO, or a similar proportion. What do you think?
May 8, 2013 at 1:09am     
Jayme H.
I am in agreement wiht solraven...
May 8, 2013 at 4:45am     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
Sorry about it. We do sell some of our images as canvas prints, in selected sizes, on art.com as well. If you wish, you can check it out. Here is the link and best of luck finishing your project!... Raisa http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a80055/ben-raisa-gertsberg-posters.htm?ui=227653DDB19241D0A3D78240109873C2&WT.cg_n=Search+Ahead&WT.oss=Ben+Raisa+Gertsberg&SSK=Ben+Raisa+Gertsberg
May 8, 2013 at 12:08pm     
eclecticoh
Would this painting work.
I painted it using acrylic paint , credit to (drawing stack) idea and techniques from YouTube.
May 15, 2013 at 5:21pm     
Jayme H.
Try hanging it up/or sit it on the back of sofa and take a pic...so we can look at it...please :)
May 15, 2013 at 5:27pm     
eclecticoh
ok that was a sample before i attempt to do the big one.
I cant make it one piece . i have multiple pieces of canvas . actually 6.
one canvas is 16in X 20in
May 15, 2013 at 5:55pm     
Jayme H.
I like it in the 6 pieces and it looks to be about the right size too!! Hey..u did great!! How creative!
May 15, 2013 at 6:09pm     
eclecticoh
yes thank you. i am going to challenge the six pieces now .
May 15, 2013 at 6:31pm     
Jayme H.
You are daring...I am a chicken! Have u painted before?
May 15, 2013 at 6:32pm     
eclecticoh
.........Not like this........first time in my life painting on a canvas. I got the beginners kit last night , And watch videos , read tips/tricks and also use my brain for the rest.
May 15, 2013 at 6:44pm     
Jayme H.
I commend you! Very cool!
May 15, 2013 at 7:02pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks Jay me.
May 15, 2013 at 7:20pm     
Jayme H.
Now...just don't get distracted from your masterpiece by watching other, irrelevant you tube videos!! LOL

You're welcome! Great job!
May 15, 2013 at 7:21pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Good for you, in trying something different. The apt looks great.
May 15, 2013 at 7:28pm     
bevballew
Very nice work...just one small suggestion...be careful so it does not look too much like Halloween; otherwise, I think it is perfect!
May 15, 2013 at 7:43pm     
Jayme H.
I am so proud of u eclecticoh! Resourceful as well as kind and helpful to your parents!!
May 15, 2013 at 8:04pm     
solraven
That's so cool! You know what's funny? The other day, I was looking around my living/dining room and thinking about how I haven't been able to find the right art pieces, then I thought about you and your search for the right art pieces. I came to the conclusion, that either I'll have to settle, wait forever, or just paint my own art. I see you got the same idea, but what's this paint kit that you found? I might want to get one for myself! :)
May 15, 2013 at 9:14pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- lol I will surely not get distracted. Thanks for your kind words-
@Travisinteriors- thanks
@Bevballew- thank you- great suggestion , I will change whatever makes it looks like Halloween .
@Solraven- lol thanks. I got tired of looking. I bought the paint kit and canvas at super Walmart. The paint kit is about $20.00. It has 12 acrylic paint , various brush , pencil , etc.
May 15, 2013 at 9:28pm     
eclecticoh
I don't get to hang it up as yet but here it is.
May 16, 2013 at 6:06am     
vacox
I think it's really beautiful! What great artwork for your parents' space, and it's by their talented son!
May 16, 2013 at 6:44am     
Jayme H.
Cool!
May 16, 2013 at 4:09pm     
bevballew
Very, very nice. Very calming! You will bring tears to your mom's eyes! Could not be more perfect!
May 16, 2013 at 4:13pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks everyone.......here is the picture hang.
May 17, 2013 at 5:23pm     
oneofeleven
great job! how's the dining room coming, have you made any more changes?
May 17, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Jayme H.
I like it a lot! That space needed a piece that size!! I bet it also adds some interest to the room!! Good job!!
May 17, 2013 at 5:51pm     
Jayme H.
@ Eclecticoh...can u take a pic from the entrance to the room and get as much of the new room into it as possible and show us? Looks so nice!! Thanks!!
May 17, 2013 at 6:28pm     
bevballew
Very, very nice! Perfect size, perfect artist, perfect scene!
May 17, 2013 at 7:33pm     
solraven
Great job! It looks like you're looking out of a window. :)
May 17, 2013 at 8:57pm     
eclecticoh
Thanks @Vacox , Jayme, oneofeleven , bevballew , and solraven.
Here is more picture of the space.
May 18, 2013 at 7:50pm     
eclecticoh
May 18, 2013 at 7:52pm     
eclecticoh
May 18, 2013 at 7:54pm   
eclecticoh
......BONUS ------before and after (wall art)
May 18, 2013 at 7:57pm     
oneofeleven
Is that your original table? Your apartment looks so much fresher, modern. You've done a great job and you should be proud of yourself. Are you done with your decorating?
May 18, 2013 at 7:57pm     
Debra-Debbie Gilliland-Walters
Eclecticoh, I am amazed at what a great job you have done. Original post to this one is phenomenal. I am impressed with your art. You aren't afraid to try anything. That is good and it will serve you well in life. Your art looks great. Did you do fruit in the kitchen too? I have been keeping up with you but have not added anything in a long time. Life gets crazy sometimes and after May 23, when my son graduates high school, I will be broke but maybe I will get my sanity back. Lol! Keep up all the good work.
May 18, 2013 at 8:08pm     
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh..Thanks for posting the new photos....SO much improvement!!! And I like the addition of the yellow!!
May 18, 2013 at 8:14pm     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven- yes , (the one with black chairs around it)
Thanks very much.....it feels like that too.
No I don't think I'm done. I think painting the table legs black etc , getting a rug for dinning area etc.
Anymore suggestion.

@Debra-Debbie Gilliland-Walters- thank you and I'm happy your keeping up with this thread. Congrats to your son- and I hope for the best . you will be more OK after you finish your investment .:)
Yes I put that wall art in the kitchen.

@Jayme- your welcome...thanks.

* I am very very happy for you guys . You all has done great too in directing me into the right path in designing this space.
May 18, 2013 at 8:15pm     
oneofeleven
I think painting the table legs is a good idea, as is the rug. Maybe if you get a rug big enough you won't need a runner . I like the kitchen wall art too and the way you've framed it.
May 18, 2013 at 8:31pm     
bevballew
Your place looks great! I love the black on the table legs and chairs! And the red pic!!
May 18, 2013 at 8:35pm     
papaneko
Wow, your place looks MILES away from how it was. It's cozy and just so much better.

Just one tiny suggestion! I don't know if anybody has suggested this (hundreds of comments!), but how about changing the light bulbs to match? I notice your living room lights are in warm white, while the dining room/kitchen lights are in cold white. I think making them all the same color will tie the whole place better, and light bulbs are cheap. I suggest warm white, cold white looks too stark on your tiles, I think.

Awesome job so far, seriously!
May 18, 2013 at 8:41pm     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven- thanks.
Yes I have to do that ----i feel the dinning area is missing something.
@bevballew- thanks ,
can't wait to paint them.
@papaneko-thanks
In some of the pictures the dinning area light was off. Its actually the same cfl bulbs.
May 18, 2013 at 8:48pm   
bevballew
You are right. It is missing something. You need some color. Maybe a rug under the table, or a table runner, or paint the walls a more dramatic color, a light fixture, maybe some kind of a table on the wall opposite the poppy pic.
May 19, 2013 at 5:55am     
eclecticoh
@bevballew-yes except for painting the wall(wish I could thou).

I'm went back to Elinor Rowlands suggestion for the dinning room.
I am trying to picture how it would look. But im worried if it would feel too crowded.

"Elinor Rowlands - Perhaps not now if your budget is tight but what would pull the room together even more would be a dark wood or coloured (not white) buffet or console table or side board next to the sofa and behind the dining room table against the wall and I'd also go for a bigger art work above it. If you can't afford much buy a really big canvas and then just add some paint to it yourself (have a splash of red in there). On the console table put some ornaments in brighter colours like red, green and any other colours you already have accented in the room or a big vase of flowers and some photo frames."
May 19, 2013 at 7:19am   
bevballew
Where does she mean a console table? I thought the wall opposite the poppy pic. What I do before I buy anything is find something similar in the house and put it in places where I think something might work. You said the dr is missing something and a console will solve the problem. It won't be too crowded but fill in the where something is missing. You just need a good size that won't make you feel crowded. Do you have something similar in the house that you could practice with? Then try it in several places.
May 19, 2013 at 7:50am     
eclecticoh
@bevballew - it would block the entry way if it is placed on the opposite wall of the poppy.
Yes , I'll try to find something in the house to experiment with....good idea.
May 19, 2013 at 8:32am     
solraven
Wow!! You have really come a long way! It would look nice to have a furniture piece under the poppy painting, but it may feel a bit crowded. As it is, there is barely enough space for the chair, on that side of the table. Like bev said, I would try a piece of furniture that you already own. I wouldn't put anything deeper than 12"; the more shallow, the better. Ikea's Besta line, does have shallow cabinets that might work.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79927549/
May 19, 2013 at 12:53pm     
eclecticoh
@solraven - thank you.
I like the IKEA besta line and especially the price.
I'm going to use the console that I had before to experiment.
May 19, 2013 at 2:40pm     
Elinor Rowlands
A console table is like a really narrow table like a side table
May 19, 2013 at 4:34pm     
Elinor Rowlands
I love the big canvas with the red flower you have up on the wall. Literally under the canvas have a console table (side table) look at pictures I have attached here for an example. You can then add a photo frame, a nice glass vase or decoration or a striking lamp. It won't look too cluttered because it will bring purpose to your space.
May 19, 2013 at 4:44pm     
bevballew
That was the type,of console I thought. I had hoped and thought better under pic.
May 19, 2013 at 5:04pm     
Jayme H.
The dining table likely would need to be shifted over somewhat in order to fit even a narrow in depth console table under the pic on dining room wall from what it looks like in pic...
May 19, 2013 at 5:43pm     
solraven
I think Jayme's right. Right now, the space looks like it could use a console or credenza, but I think it's going to push the table to far into the walk space. That being said, I think that once a rug is in place, it will give the space a more complete look. The painting looks like it needs something under it, but... I wonder if you hang it vertically, if that would change. Are you able to hang the painting vertically, and see how it looks?
May 19, 2013 at 9:05pm     
Newbury Console Table
Price:$109.00 & FREE Shipping. Details
Product Dimensions12 x 32 x 34 inches
In Stock.
Sold by eHomeProducts and Fulfilled by Amazon.
May 19, 2013 at 10:07pm     
Home Accent White Wood Carved Top Sofa Console Table
Product Description
Turned legs and an intricately carved top add rich visual appeal to this enchanting white wood table. Assembly required. (Items on table for display purposes.) 35" x 14" x 29" high.
List Price:$149.95
Price:$53.17
You Save:$96.78 (65%)
Amazon
May 19, 2013 at 10:19pm   
Frenchi Home Furnishing Console Sofa Table with Drawer
Product Dimensions: 47.5 x 12 x 31 inches ; 26 pounds
List Price:$145.99
Price:$71.35
You Save:$74.64 (51%)
May 19, 2013 at 10:24pm   
Black Espresso Contemporary Console Table Furniture
Price:$71.55
Measurements: Overall: 31.5" L x 30" H x 11.375" Deep
Amazon
May 19, 2013 at 10:31pm     
Sorry I don't know how to do simple link but here are some tables. I was looking for one as well. Nice to serve on too when entertaining.
May 19, 2013 at 10:33pm     
bevballew
Something missing was said by eclecticoh. That is why I suggested he try a table he might have in the apartment already close to the console table style first. Sometimes rooms are just what they are and we need to walk around furniture a bit. No place is perfect. It depends how far out The dr table is moved over. it might be minor. To just say it wont fit seems a failure already decided. Something is missing as is obvious looking at it and he is looking for ideas so I think it worth trying.
May 20, 2013 at 6:04am     
eclecticoh
OK,
The dinning table Is 37in from the wall.
The pictures Below shows the amount of space I have when shifted over.

@Debra-Debbie Gilliland-Walters-thanks , I like the Black Espresso Contemporary Console Table Furniture the best out of all the ones you posted.
May 20, 2013 at 6:32am   
solraven
37 inches? You do have space! The "rule" is 24 inches of space, around a dining table, for getting into and out of the chairs.
May 20, 2013 at 10:10am     
eclecticoh
@solraven-OK then cool - can't wait to see the outcome.
Anyways how are you .....its a rainy day.
May 20, 2013 at 11:53am     
Jayme H.
My comment was that the table may need to be shifted a bit to fit a console table. Did someone say it was a failure? I didn't see that anywhere. I think a console appropriate for the space would look fine there.

-Hi eclecticoh...How r u? It is rainy, rainy in ND...
May 20, 2013 at 12:01pm     
bevballew
Sorry. It just seemed that was a given for me that table would need to be moved and yes I agree table needed to be moved over. Did not mean to offend. Sorry.
May 20, 2013 at 12:30pm     
solraven
@eclecticoh, no kidding! I have class (and a test) at 4pm, just as I was about to drive off, in my little two seater, a monsoon descended upon my neighborhood! Hopefully, it's pouring in Davie, so my teacher knows why we're all late! LOL...
May 20, 2013 at 12:31pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme-yes I shifted it over which create that 37inches between the table and well.
Honestly I didn't understand that part of the comment?
But , I'm going to give it a try .

- what's going on Jayme? .I'm happy its raining with winds.

@solraven- wow :) , be careful on the road and i hope for the best results on your test.
DID YOU STUDY ! Lol.
May 20, 2013 at 12:38pm     
solraven
I did study, but now I'm even more stressed because I'm stuck! Just last week, we were told that we can not ask to do a make up test, on test day; it has to be before. He said if we ask on test day, then we need a note. I'm hoping time stamped pictures and video, will be enough.
May 20, 2013 at 1:34pm     
eclecticoh
@solraven-Ok then relax and take the test.:). Its just for a few minutes I guess.
May 20, 2013 at 2:29pm     
solraven
:::sigh::: the water levels didn't recede until the class was half over. I will talk to my prof. tomorrow. So the day wasn't a total waste, I went and got a haircut. As I was driving, I almost hit a car who darted out of a parking lot. Ironically, on my way home, in that exact same spot, there was a fresh accident; the police hadn't even arrived. So I have decided that the reason I got rained/flooded in was because I would have gotten into an accident. But because I stayed home, I didn't get into an accident. LOL..

Well, I don't know if any of that is true, but it's my way of turning lemons into lemonade. ;) Now I have the rest of the night to think about how lucky I am, that I didn't get into an accident, today. LOL... See how my twisted little mind works?
May 20, 2013 at 3:37pm     
Jayme H.
@Solraven...sounds good to me..!! (Glad u didn't get into an accident)!!
May 20, 2013 at 3:53pm     
Jayme H.
@Bev, No offense taken! Just didn't see anything about the table being wrong or a mistake or anything.
May 20, 2013 at 6:53pm     
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh...I am working a lot lately!! What r u up to? Besides painting and decorating?
May 20, 2013 at 6:54pm     
eclecticoh
@jayme- that's good , but don't over do it.
hmmm.....nothing much.
May 21, 2013 at 2:59pm     
Jayme H.
Day off tomorrow...my house looks like someone is having a rummage sale in it...so I will be doing some organizing!!! LOL
May 21, 2013 at 3:11pm     
eclecticoh
May 21, 2013 at 3:23pm     
Jayme H.
Like it!! Would give a nice contrast against the light walls and floors and also is within your style!! What r the dimensions?
May 21, 2013 at 3:24pm   
eclecticoh
@Jayme-Dimensions: 29.56 " H x 39.37 " W x 13.93 " D
May 21, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh..hmmm...sounds sorta narrow in width...can u photostop it so we can see? Thx...
May 21, 2013 at 4:07pm   
eclecticoh
@Jayme---I don't know how to do this one in Photoshop (actually it was Microsoft paint I had use to edit those photos. But I think the table is about 8 ft .
The console table is about 3.3ft
May 21, 2013 at 4:59pm     
Jayme H.
Ok...well...without seeing something that wide on that wall...I am not sure the table would be wide enough..What does everyone else have to say?
May 21, 2013 at 5:08pm     
Jayme H.
@ECLECTICOH...tape the area off with masking tape or a piece of cardboard in the right width so we can see...if u choose...will make it easier to visualize..thx
May 21, 2013 at 5:30pm     
solraven
It's a nice table, but I would prefer something that's a little more substantial. To me, it will look too much like a table, next to a table. I think it needs to have some sort of dining room storage aspect, to tie it in. Plus, it's added storage; who doesn't love that?! :)
May 21, 2013 at 7:08pm     
Elinor Rowlands
I disagree. A console table is just that. It ties in with your canvas on the wall. Too much storage space just makes for more clutter. The console tables that Debra-Debbie posted are modern and add a touch of design to the space. You don't want to add more clutter, heavy furniture or bring the room down. The console just finishes off the space nicely. The dining room table repositioned the way it is will have enough space behind it. All large mirrors and large canvases are often hung over a console table or fireplace. Look at all the design magazines. It just adds a feature to your space. Go on, I'm excited already your space is beginning to look so fantastic!!
May 22, 2013 at 5:34am     
Elinor Rowlands
Although actually saying that, you could if you wanted to add a longer side board from end of sofa to wall over (those white doors?) but I had thought those white doors were cupboard doors so that's why I had first said a console table. Either way, whatever you choose it needs to have either a console table or sideboard to tie in the room. :) Sorry Solraven - isn't it funny the more we look at the photo the more possibilities we see?
May 22, 2013 at 5:38am     
eclecticoh
@Jayme-The canvas picture is 39 inches in width.
May 22, 2013 at 6:24am   
eclecticoh
What about this ?
Dimensions: 28.0 " H x 48.0 " W x 15.5 " D
May 22, 2013 at 6:34am     
Jayme H.
Yes...the table should be wider than the pic, for sure...If pic is centered.. table would extend 4.5 inches out further than canvas pic on each side (I didn't think the pic was that large).

I am not sure if it would be enough to look o.k....I am thinking it would work fine....because there is a lot of wall space..and afterall, the table would be wider than the pic.

Also, the table is within the style of what you have purchased...

Anyone else?
May 22, 2013 at 9:08am   
oneofeleven
I agree with solraven. There is never enough storage in an apt. Why don't you look for something unique, you might find something at a thrift shop or a furniture consignment shop. If you haven't been to one they usually have some very nice pieces at good prices. Maybe something from the 50's, that might work.
May 22, 2013 at 9:11am     
solraven
@Elinor, I'm a little confused by your last two posts; they seem to contradict each other, but...it's not clear. In my opinion, a console table is used near an entry way, or even behind a sofa. Yes, it ties in with the picture on the wall, but more importantly, it needs to tie into the room. The picture is an accessory to the space, not the main player. The furniture should function for the room, not just to make the picture work.

A console table, inches from a dining table, is redundant. I agree that the space should eliminate looking too heavy, so what I envision is a shallow credenza/sideboard, that is raised up on short legs. That will give ample storage, as well as reduce the heaviness.

As far as the comment, "too much storage space just makes for more clutter," In my experience, "clutter", is the result of the lack of storage, not too much. What do you mean by "cupboard" for the back closet doors? I was always taught that cupboards are upper kitchen cabinets or open shelving, you know, where cups and dishes are stored.

Something like this, is what I pictured. It's long, shallow, raised up on legs, and has a clean look. It's a great place to store wine glasses, liquor, extra plates, napkins, etc. Anything that doesn't get used all the time that might normally be kept in the kitchen.
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2006/10/teds-terrific-sideboard.html
May 22, 2013 at 11:22am     
Jayme H.
Where or where is eclecticoh??? Getting lonely here!
June 12, 2013 at 8:54pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
solraven
I was wondering that same thing! eclecticoh, where have you been?! I hope you didn't get swept up in the flooding last week.

Jayme, I was thinking about you the other day when I had a fruitful shopping trip to Marshalls. I picked up a large low bowl for my dining table. It's black right now, but I see red-orange spray paint in it's future.
June 12, 2013 at 9:42pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Jayme H.
Now for some reason...I can post pics..so I will get a pick of the orange bowl posted, I promise...Problem. with pics..didn't have cord from phone to computer so I was posting on facebook, then clicking on those and saving pics to laptop, and then attaching to Houzz...and for some reason, couldn't post pics to FB for a bit...
June 12, 2013 at 9:47pm     
solraven
Oh wow! That's a lot of work! I always find it funny how I seem to have and endless supply of back up cords or charges, but when I need one, I can't seem to locate one that fits. LOL....
June 12, 2013 at 10:28pm     
eclecticoh
@Jayme , Solraven , and others who may be concern ; sorry for holding you guys this long without any response - I have being very busy .However , I bought a throw blanket , and a wall art ; when i get the chance I will upload the pictures.
Still hoping to finish the dinning room..... I miss you all and hope to get this thread back alive .
June 22, 2013 at 4:54pm     
solraven
eclecticoh, I can't wait to see them!! :)
June 22, 2013 at 7:13pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
bevballew
Good to hear from you!
June 22, 2013 at 8:31pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Elinor Rowlands
solraven if you read my second post it actually says yes when I look at the picture again I see the possibilities so yes it obviously disagrees with what I first said - that's the beauty of being an artist and interior designer, you see things in a new light again and again - do read my post again and don't inform me on furniture names, I am British so sometimes what we call things may appear a bit differently but we are all working for the beautiful changes eclecticoh has already shaped in her space! eclecticoh so looking forward to seeing this new wall art and throw :)
June 25, 2013 at 6:21pm   
oneofeleven
Elinor, when I read your comments and Solraven's response, I don't see that she's "informing me on furniture names" .She's asking for clarification. She's American and they use the word cupboard differently. I read no offense. I also tend to agree with her re: the extra "table" in the diningroom. Eclecticoh is living in a small rented apt (with his parents) and would benefit from more storage.
Solraven, I liked that Ikea hack you posted. What do you think of it Eclecticoh?
June 25, 2013 at 7:21pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Jayme H.
Eclecticoh is a male-I know because I was calling him a her until I found out ...he is helping his parents with their home...
-Hi eclecticoh!! Cannot wait to see your new things!!! :)
June 25, 2013 at 8:18pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
solraven
You know what else I've noticed about the console table idea? When we see them in the store, or online, they look so unobtrusive and light weight, but when we get home and start using them, what ends up going on top is a lamp, a speaker, or a phone charger. Then, all you see underneath are the black cords, wires or a power brick. What used to look light and clean, now looks messy and cluttered.

I have learned that I need to take accessories, outlets and wires into consideration, when thinking about my decor. So much so, that now, I think about what accessories and electronics I plan on using, then make sure that my furniture will not only accommodate, but that I'm able to hide or camouflage the wires, as well.
June 26, 2013 at 7:02pm     
solraven
eclecticoh, I just saw this new thread on Hzz and thought of you. This is exactly what I had in mind for a credenza, but with legs, not wall mounted. It's from the Ikea Besta line. She's using it with a glass top, which is especially useful, if your worried about drinks being set on top of it. Her print is very similar to yours, as well. :)
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/5ad2567401cd1da9_8-6974/home-design.jpg
June 28, 2013 at 1:09am     
eclecticoh
Ok everyone here is the picture of the throw and the wall art.
There are some small changes that were made.
* tell me what you think .
July 4, 2013 at 10:03am   
eclecticoh
Does these go together?
July 4, 2013 at 10:07am     
oneofeleven
I don't see the throw? Is the wall art the small piece over the pass through?
July 4, 2013 at 10:41am   
vacox
The throw is on the right arm of the sofa under the window--it's hard to see in the sunlight. Eclecticoh, I think everything looks great!! I like the art over the passthrough, and to me the items on the table look good. Wow, there is just such a difference from the beginning!
July 4, 2013 at 11:13am        Thanked by eclecticoh
oneofeleven
I see it now. Your living space has really been transformed. I looked back at your original postings, just to see the difference. Great work! I like the artwork but I do think it looks a little lonely. Will you be doing anything more on that wall?
July 4, 2013 at 2:31pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Jayme H.
I can't see the throw very well either...It doesn't look bad to me. Agree with the wall with the new art/pass through seems a little bare.
July 4, 2013 at 4:59pm     
liveweyerd
Great work and I like the art and the simplicity of that wall. It is serene and lets the eye rest to be able to better see the richly colored living room and it's many layers.
July 4, 2013 at 6:16pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
solraven
Love the lamp arrangement on the table. I love how you continue to fine tune the smallest details. :)

The throw doesn't really do anything for me. Would your folks use a throw? If they would, then something in a natural tone, like the color of twine or burlap, would work best. The other thing about a throw and leather is that, they rarely stay where you place them because leather is so slippery.

As for the picture above the kitchen pass-through, although I like the translucent art piece, I don't think that's the right location. I don't think you need anything above the pass through. Does it look like it needs something? I can't recall seeing a pic taken of that wall, so I'm not sure.
July 5, 2013 at 12:47am     
bevballew
I don't think you need artwork above the pass through but to the right of it although that picture may be too small, unless you do a grouping of two or three pics. I am wondering....the tall lamp you have in the corner next to the media center, it seems too much weight on that side and not enough on the opposite wall. Can you put the tall lamp in the corner where the coffee table is or the opposite end of the sofa opposite the media center. Otherwise it is a very nice media center and what you put on the coffee table does look good. Sorry!
July 5, 2013 at 7:14am     
eclecticoh
@Solraven - yes they used the throw , especially when watching movies.
Also to be honest with you the throw stays in its position unless its being used.
I got that color throw to bring more out of the art into the room. The fading color represent the color of the sky (sunset).
Ok since that wall art is too small or is not in its right place , what can I do with that wall?
@bevballew-I will try that .upload a pic and then get the others opinion.

But otherwise thanks to all for keeping up.
July 5, 2013 at 1:23pm     
solraven
When you get a chance, can you take a picture of the wall with the pass through? I can't recall seeing an image of that wall directly, just on the side of a dining room image.

What color is the throw? The sunlight is hitting it, so it's hard to tell from the photos. If your parents use it, then it's definitely a must keep, item. The most important rule of decorating, IMHO, is to make sure the room works for your folks first, then add in "pretty". :)
July 5, 2013 at 1:42pm     
oneofeleven
How about something like this? My daughter lives in an apt and she used decals all over the place. I think they look good and are easily removed

July 5, 2013 at 2:22pm     
bevballew
Wow. Nice decals! I want one! Great idea.
July 5, 2013 at 2:37pm   
oneofeleven
I went to Houzz rooms and clicked on accessories and walls. There are an incredible number of choices, I was salivating myself!
July 5, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Jayme H.
One of eleven...I like it..but with that cut out wall spot..would it look right on that particular wall? If decals and placed right, maybe so.
July 5, 2013 at 2:56pm   
oneofeleven
That particular decal was only a suggestion but if Electicoh likes it I'm sure he'll find something that works for him but I appreciate everyone's "thumbs up"
July 5, 2013 at 3:11pm     
bevballew
Thank you oneofeleven! I checked out the accessories. Something cool for many rooms including a basement, which I will plan on doing when I move into my new house.
July 5, 2013 at 6:51pm     
Jayme H.
@oneofeleven..I really like the decals...just wondering how to make it work on that wall, and speaking out load/while thinking it...Thinking it could work if decals were placed properly...I liked your idea, hope it didn't sound like I didn't.
July 5, 2013 at 8:34pm     
solraven
I always liked those decals. I think they add interest to a wall with a simple graphic.
July 6, 2013 at 12:11am     
eclecticoh
im going to ask my mom what she think about the decal , but i think it would be interesting. however I had a disaster , my cousin accidentally break the table lamp so we agree to a replacement plan. so im going to need help choosing.
$50.00 is the budget.
July 7, 2013 at 5:15pm     
oneofeleven
sorry about the lamp but this means we all get to look for lamps for you :) I think you should consider something a little taller this time. I'll look around for some suggestions.
July 7, 2013 at 5:52pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
solraven
Sorry about your lamp. :(

Yaaaaayyyy!!! We get to shop! :D
July 7, 2013 at 6:21pm     
oneofeleven
How about something like this? It's close to the budget but the base can be bought separately for $45. The silver base will pick up colours from the table and will also introduce another texture to the room http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99861123/
July 7, 2013 at 6:42pm     
bevballew
Isn't it a bit too short for the corner oneofeleven?
July 7, 2013 at 8:03pm     
I would like to see a taller one too.
July 7, 2013 at 8:32pm     
eclecticoh
Yes something taller so I dont have to use so many books
@oneofeleven- I like that bulky silver base.
July 7, 2013 at 8:44pm     
Jayme H.
I also like the metal ones that are textured...idk what they r called...also mercury glass-looking lamps.
July 8, 2013 at 2:38pm   
Jayme H.
This is a 24" lamp from Overstock.com $55.07
July 8, 2013 at 2:57pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Jayme H.
@eclecticoh, I have also seen some taller lamps that echo the shape of your floor lamp, but they were more expensive.
July 8, 2013 at 3:06pm   
July 8, 2013 at 4:31pm     
eclecticoh
@jayme - thats nice too......keep them coming
July 8, 2013 at 5:14pm     
Jayme H.
This one is $38 at Amazon.comProduct Features
Type Table
Length 8.5 in.
Height 24 in.
Width 8.5 in.
July 8, 2013 at 5:25pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Jayme H.
This is a cool set, but prob. too much with the pattern? $59.98 for both...swag is a plug in, could be used somewhere else.
Also Amazon.com

Product Features
Lamp takes one maximum 150 watt bulb (not included
Swag is 15" across the top, 15" across t
Swag takes one maximum 100 watt bulb (not included
Swag includes 15 feet cord, 10 feet chain
Lamp is 25 1/2" high and 14" wide.
› See more product details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Other Items Do Customers Buy
July 8, 2013 at 5:32pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
solraven
eclecticoh, now that your folks have lived with the lamp and adjusted the height with books, what is their ideal height? Do they prefer to keep a few books under the lamp, or would they prefer to have more table space?
July 8, 2013 at 6:50pm     
solraven
Jayme, I like the pattern. There isn't a lot of pattern in the room, so it could definitely work.
July 8, 2013 at 6:53pm     
oneofeleven
Pier one has lamps on sale , here's one I like, it's 24" and the green is very "Miami" http://www.pier1.com/Green-Ribbed-Lamp/2665626,default,pd.html?cgid=table_lamps#start=1
July 8, 2013 at 7:11pm   
July 8, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Jayme H.
@solraven, Thx..I was afraid it would clash with the rug...what do u think?
July 8, 2013 at 7:45pm     
Jayme H.
@oneofeleven...Love that one!
July 8, 2013 at 7:46pm   
solraven
@Jayme, not at all. There are a lot of angles in the space, so the curved pattern looks really nice. Plus, the lines of the pattern remind me of a curvy version of the lines of the lamp and TV shelving.

@oneofeleven, I think both of those lamps are really pretty, but I recently bought a gorgeous lamp, w/ a green shade and realized something. It looks great, when it's off, but when it's on, it casts a horrible green light. Think.... bad fluorescent. Needless to say, it doesn't look good on any complexion! LOL.. I don't know if this one will cast green through the shade, but the light above and below, will reflect the green out of the top and bottom. As pretty as the blue shade is, I can only assume, that will give similar results as the one I have. It will cast blue out of the shade, but white light out of the top and bottom.
July 8, 2013 at 11:25pm   
liveweyerd
I really like the $55 overstock lamp Jayme put up.
July 9, 2013 at 6:30am     
Jayme H.
IDK I like the swag set...Maybe cuz it's different and u get two vs one for a great price.
July 9, 2013 at 7:13am   
eclecticoh
I like the lamp set with the lamp included but I would have difficult hanging the swag lamp,
I dont think myParents would approve of that . I like the overstock one too that is $55 .
I would prefer a lamp that looks good off/on -day/night.
The lamp that I had looks better on than off.
July 9, 2013 at 8:19am     
oneofeleven
Maybe you could buy a lamp kit and make one yourself, here is an idea of something that might look good.

July 9, 2013 at 8:04pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
oneofeleven
I don't know if they still sell this but it has nice lines

July 9, 2013 at 8:19pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
bevballew
I think an eye catching lamp like those above would be great. I think this is what the room needs IMO.
July 10, 2013 at 8:06am   
lntrcrts
That sofa is too busy need a solid color loveseat. I would choose a tan or beige color in leather. No need for a tablecloth on the table purchase a nice flower arrangement to go on the table.
July 10, 2013 at 5:24pm   
lntrcrts
Also take that picture down in the dining area and buy a mirror to place on the wall. Make sure it is a round mirror. Lowes has some pretty mirrors.
July 10, 2013 at 5:26pm   
bevballew
Intrcrts. I would suggest you review the thread. It is typical that changes happen from the first posted picture as that is why people post. This is a very long thread and many changes have occurred. Perhaps if nothing else looking at photos of the changes would help in further suggestions.
July 10, 2013 at 5:28pm     
solraven
I had to see what she was looking at! The first post was five months ago! My, have things changed! :)
July 10, 2013 at 5:30pm     
eclecticoh
I know 360 degree change. Thanks for all of the support.
This is the result of the broken lamp....im still using it for the time being. Doesnt look bad thou!
July 10, 2013 at 6:11pm     
nvargi
Striped chair need red pillows
July 10, 2013 at 6:13pm   
oneofeleven
nvargi, perhaps you don't realize that your comment was 1007!
July 10, 2013 at 6:31pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
sunbev
WOW! 3 + months and not done yet, I would shoot myself.
July 11, 2013 at 9:55am   
Jennifer Gathright
A
July 11, 2013 at 9:59am   
solraven
sunbev, seriously? You would shoot yourself? Well, I would guess that 99.4% of Houzzer's should shoot themselves, because in my experience, a home is never "finished."
July 11, 2013 at 11:09am        Thanked by eclecticoh
vacox
Eclectoh, you're right, the lamp still looks good!
July 11, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
bevballew
Sunbev....People work and don't revolve their life just around just decorating their house. They have lives. Houzz will drive you nuts then. Your suggestions will be interesting.
July 11, 2013 at 1:51pm     
bevballew
And yes the lamp actually looks pretty good.
July 11, 2013 at 1:51pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
PRO
Cabinets To Go
Looks like you have a lot of ideas to work with! If you have any questions about cabinetry or would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
July 11, 2013 at 2:53pm   
oneofeleven
Cabinets to go - this man lives in a rental apt! If you're interested in making sales perhaps you should at least read the opening of the thread where he would have told you this.
July 11, 2013 at 3:23pm     
Jayme H.
@sunbev...This room is like a slowly evolving, positive relationship...just keeps getting better and better with time.
July 11, 2013 at 3:54pm     
Jayme H.
Same goes for wine and cheese.
July 11, 2013 at 4:19pm     
eclecticoh
@sunbev-? ............. :-×
July 11, 2013 at 4:59pm     
sunbev
I have read your postings throughout and have some suggestions which you can take em or leave em.or they may give you ideas to run with. OK Here we go. I would get a large 21" or so vase and put 6 ft branches in it and set on the floor against the wall between dining and living room.( you can clip some branches and spray paint them black) I would have gone with white curtains, pillows and accessories in the living room to make those red couches stand out and be your punch of color. Some one mentioned wall decals, you can get small ones that have branches and have them coming out of the upper ceiling corner above the lamp between the sofas (hanging down on a diagonal, you do not have to put them together as instructed,play with the layout on the table before removing from the paper backing) and yes they do peal off the walls when you want them to.and then the lamp could set directly on the side table. You could also get a couple of birds (wooden or plastic) pint them red and hang from small cup hooks in ceiling with fishing line for an unexpected jolt of fun.When removed the holes can be filled with caulk using your finger..... I like your pic in the dining room. If you know anyone who sews, may be you could get them to make you wide red and white stripe slip covers for the office chairs and use them to head and foot the table.As for the opening to the kitchen Go to the dollar store and get some really colorful diner plates and hangers and hang them on the wall up and around the opening to kitchen. The thrift stores/ salvation army is a good place to find picture frames, spray paint them black and group 3 (even without pictures) near the opening, or back one with luon and spray with chalk board paint= Diner menu, picture, messages or a saying using chalk can change out whenever you have a mind too.or use reg black flat spray paint and spray over the picture and place a small black and white photos in the center. IE a 16x20" frame with 5x6" pictures You can add a punch of color to table by" adding" a bunch of red or dark orange poppies to the table vase. Did not mean to offend anyone with my prior comment, I'm just the type of person who when I want a change and it is not done in one week I rest uneasy until it is completed .
July 11, 2013 at 9:28pm      Thanked by eclecticoh
bevballew
I do think we all want it done in a week so we get what you mean. This young man is doing this redecorating for his parents who live in the apartment so that is one reason why it may seem to take so long but he has been a wonderful kind young man working around a budget and work, etc. to make his parents place nice. We are very protective of him! Appreciate your comment about offending.
July 12, 2013 at 5:53pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Hello to all , how is everybody doing ?
Update : I was going to order a rug for the dinning area this weekened but i feel to get a new dinning table . Im thinking of something modern contemporary and will go with the chairs and room.
August 3, 2013 at 11:34am     
eclecticoh
Dinning table and rug
August 3, 2013 at 2:25pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
If a small area add a round glass table. With 4 high back leather chairs. Go a color like teal, yellow. Pier one has them. And also dark base glass tables. 40" is good.
August 3, 2013 at 3:16pm   
eclecticoh
I have the dinning chairs already , I just wanted a table to go with it.
Also I would like to get something that can work both in a small space and a large space.
August 3, 2013 at 4:07pm     
oneofeleven
If you get a table with an extra leaf that would work. Nice to hear from you. :)
August 3, 2013 at 5:37pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Im happy to hear from you too oneofeleven.
Thanks for commenting.
August 3, 2013 at 6:30pm     
solraven
There you are! Every time I go into a Home Goods store, I always check the lamps, just in case I see something. :)
I like the round table best. It's warm, and the round design makes it feel easy to move around.

Although I love rectangular tables, I'm not crazy about the two examples. The first one, with the extensions at the end of the table is a bad design. My cousin bought an expensive ScanDesign table like this, and I discovered how uncomfortable it was, when I found my self sitting on the side. The table leg is right in the way. You can't sit under the table and are forced to sit with one leg, on each side. I don't see this style lasting much longer.

And the chrome one, just feels a bit cold to me, as chrome often does.
August 3, 2013 at 7:03pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
@Solraven - I like the round table the best too. Im trying to picture how it would look with the dinning chairs.I had choose those rectangular table because they look modern. Also I was considering the pair of lamp Jayme posted from amazon.could the swag lamp hang over the end table and the table lamp on the sideboard in dinning area ?
August 3, 2013 at 8:16pm     
Jayme H.
Hi everyone, long time no see!
August 4, 2013 at 7:20am     
eclecticoh
Hey Jayme , how are you ?
August 4, 2013 at 11:12am     
Jayme H.
Hi eclecticoh...I am fine, how r u doing?
August 4, 2013 at 12:36pm   
eclecticoh
Im doing ok , trying to get back to designing.
August 4, 2013 at 1:56pm     
PRO
Meritage Homes
Your couch color reminds us of a color scheme in one of our homes. Perhaps these photos can help you. Good luck!
September 24, 2013 at 4:55pm     
PRO
HandPainted Wallpaper - Yrmural Studio
Framed bit art work can also be a good choice
November 1, 2013 at 12:46am   
eclecticoh
How is everyone doing ?
Miss you all .
December 4, 2013 at 1:53pm     
oneofeleven
Hi eclecticoh, whats new? Are you still working on the apt? Good to hear from you friend.
December 4, 2013 at 2:01pm     
eclecticoh
Yes , I got a new sofa.
December 4, 2013 at 2:57pm     
Salih Narman
Hello,

Would you consider some modern bohemian home decor for the sofas and floor?

Check out my online shop. I think they will make your space look great. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TurkishCraftsArts?ref=si_shop
December 4, 2013 at 3:29pm   
solraven
What?!! You did?! Let's see!
December 4, 2013 at 4:34pm   
eclecticoh
I will try to upload some pics as soon as I get the chance to , but its a ikea soderhamn without the armrest (im thinking about getting the armrest later).Also , since browsing and looking at houzz designs quite a while now I am thinking of a minimalist design for the space. What do you think ?
December 4, 2013 at 4:51pm     
oneofeleven
I think it's a good idea as the apt is small and the minimalist look obviously creates a look of space.
December 4, 2013 at 5:36pm     
vacox
I really like that sofa. Can't wait to see pictures!
December 4, 2013 at 6:08pm     
Jayme H.
Cool sofa! Can't wait to see what you decide to do!! :)
December 5, 2013 at 6:29am     
solraven
I love minimalism design, it always looks fresh. My fav. is mid century modern, which is very similar.
December 5, 2013 at 4:23pm     
eclecticoh
Ikea Soderhamn sofa.
December 6, 2013 at 2:10pm     
solraven
Oh wow.... look how modern the space feels. I love it!
December 6, 2013 at 6:51pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
oneofeleven
quite a change from your original livingroom, don't think you need our help anymore
December 6, 2013 at 7:00pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
@solraven - yes it definitely makes the space feel modern. Now I am wondering how can I make the dinning area (especially the chairs I have) feel modern minimalist with a seamless flow into the living room. I havent gotten a dinning table as of yet. Also I was considering to lower the coffee table legs or even get some metal legs.
December 6, 2013 at 7:09pm     
eclecticoh
@oneofeleven- yes I do , I appreciate all of you . You all started me out and motivated me into doing this . And I am happy to get feedbacks etc.
December 6, 2013 at 7:14pm     
solraven
Amazing! Simply, amazing! From your first picture, until today I can't believe how much you have transformed that space. The more you transformed your space, the more similar it started to feel to my own. With similar color schemes in the dining room, very similar floors and now we both have EXPEDIT units. Yours in the living room, and I recently picked one up for my dining room, but now your space feels much more modern than mine. I may start asking you for advice, eclecticoh. :)
December 6, 2013 at 8:40pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
bevballew
Love your choice. Just what was needed. You have a good eye for decorating!
December 7, 2013 at 4:58am        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Minor update.
January 29, 2014 at 4:22pm     
Like your new sofa. What happened to your red sofas and rug? I like your picture behind sofa too.
January 29, 2014 at 4:31pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
@Debra-Debbie Gilliland-Walters - thanks , the rug is in another room and we got rid of the red sofa.
January 29, 2014 at 4:37pm     
bevballew
That is absolutely stunning! Perfect perfect for the place. The mirror or pic goes great and is perfect! Hard to tell but it is perfect! Good job!
January 29, 2014 at 5:49pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
@bevballew- thanks , Yes that wall art was actually from previous canvas . I repaint it - wondering if i should paint more canvas to add width.
I appreciate any ideas
January 29, 2014 at 6:03pm     
armygirl1987
Really pretty..
January 29, 2014 at 6:12pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Wow! Now I can see the old canvas but it looks beautiful the way you have it. The colors are more serene than before. I love the colors.
January 29, 2014 at 6:29pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
Now I see the old canvas. I love the colors. The room is a lot more than serene with these colors. I love what you did with old canvas. Are you decorating another room with the former living room rug or just using it in another room? I guess I'm hoping you are about to decorate more rooms. I need some excitement in my life. Lol
January 29, 2014 at 6:34pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
@Debra-Debbie - lol........no not really just place it there for the time being. Probably In the future God's willing.
January 29, 2014 at 6:36pm   
bevballew
It might look more perfectly fit if you did add a bit more width. Lets wait to see what the pros say. It looks so good I hate to see it get messed up.
January 29, 2014 at 6:36pm     
Didn't mean to repeat myself. My iPad told my comment didn't go thru. Sorry!
January 29, 2014 at 6:37pm   
eclecticoh
@bevballew - i think it would look better too.
@Debra-Debbie - no problem
January 29, 2014 at 7:04pm   
Jayme H.
Hi there! Wow!! What a change, almost monochromatic! Looks great!!
January 29, 2014 at 7:08pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Thanks , Hi Jayme - How art thou?
January 29, 2014 at 7:17pm     
Jayme H.
"Like a rich jewel in Ethiope's ear"...(Shakespeare)
LOL
I am great, how r u doing? Love your new décor!!
January 29, 2014 at 8:37pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Lol........thank you ,I am doing good.
January 30, 2014 at 10:30am     
Jayme H.
So when did u decide to get new things and where did the red sofas go? Your new style is very sophisticated!!
January 30, 2014 at 11:53am     
eclecticoh
@Jayme- houzz photos inspired me , I've notice that im more towards versatility and minimalist. I love to see the place clean and tidy, and being minimal makes the work easier.
January 30, 2014 at 2:06pm     
Jayme H.
It looks fabulous and so much the opposite of the former look!! Congrats!!
January 30, 2014 at 2:38pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
vacox
eclecticoh it looks really great!! Love the gray. Great job!!
January 30, 2014 at 4:40pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
abbyjean
You have to be soooo pleased! So, just wondering....what side did you decide for the chaise? I can see it working on either side, so just wondering???
January 30, 2014 at 6:38pm     
solraven
Whoa! electicoh! I just love it! It looks so modern and polished. I can't believe you went from two red, and one patterned sofas, to this sleek look.

I just realized that the brown art, above the sofa, is the one you painted. I love what you've done to it! I thought it was a mirror with a wide wood frame. I recall, we were both looking for art, last year.

And your rug is gone! and so are your curtains! I love the new curtains. Where did you get them?
January 30, 2014 at 9:44pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
PRO
Hyde Evans Design
Three sofas in a room is at least one sofa two many. Two matching sofas is plenty. Even with that you would still have all the "weight" at one end of the room. You need to balance it out. Consider a good size rug under the table and much larger art
January 30, 2014 at 10:12pm   
eclecticoh
@ abbyjean- its on the left currently .
@ Solraven- the curtains are from ikea.
@Hyde Evans Design- I am trying to figure out what are you referring to , is it the first set of pictures.
January 31, 2014 at 11:35am     
solraven
eclecticoh, what do you think of any of these for wall art/canvas ideas?

By the way, I love your new curtains so much, that I went to Ikea and got 3 pair of Vilborg curtain panels, last week. I needed them to room darken, so they probably aren't the ones you have, but looking at your curtains, is what helped me make up my mind, so thanks for that! :D

Did you hem them yourself?
February 24, 2014 at 11:48pm        Thanked by eclecticoh
PRO
The SofaWorks
LOVE the transformation !! and i wish you good luck with your ikea sectional ! it looks great, but from my own personal experience not for long. i'm really, really hoping you have a better experience !!! but if not, call us ;) xoxo eva

February 26, 2014 at 2:00pm   
eclecticoh
@ solraven - Sorry I didn't reply earlier .
It looks good on that wall , i don't think it would fit my space.
Thanks , I did Hem the curtains myself ,(hand sewn).
The VIVAN allow the light to shine through - sometimes we have to draw the blinds. also , I'm happy it help with your purchase.

@The SofaWorks. Thanks. lets see , but its doing great so far - no complaint.
March 11, 2014 at 8:34pm   
solraven
@eclecticoh, Hand sewn?!! Impressive!

I know you were looking for artwork, and since we live in the same area I wanted to give you a heads up. I had just gotten back from Ross, where I took a pic of the floral print, bought the bottom zebra, and saw another top zebra.

Although my closest Ross is a smaller one, I've been having the best luck in that store. Not just w/ artwork, but w/ other home decor as well. Canvas artwork is usually so expensive, but the top zebra print was $40, and the bottom one, the larger one was $30.

Their stock changes almost daily, so if you're looking, just keep stopping by, and something fantastic will likely get your attention.
March 12, 2014 at 1:51am        Thanked by eclecticoh
eclecticoh
Thanks for the heads up , I didnt even know that ross sells home decor, I will visit there one of these day.Wow , you got them at a good price. I really appreciate you looking out for me solraven.
March 12, 2014 at 2:56pm