Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with empty wall space?
rickster88
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm stumped. What shall I do with the empty wall space that is currently occupied by the AV boxes?
1) The area doesn't receive much light to put plants requiring indirect sunlight to grow unless the blinds remain open.
2) I already have a potted ficus lyrata that occupies the other side of the TV cabinet wall and if I were to put another pot on the other side it'll look quite strange; almost like two totems protecting the TV and wouldn't take up most parts of the wall.
3) the design concept is modern contemporary with an open space from the living, dining and dry kitchen
Please help :\
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
flgrandma
What a beautiful place you have. We should all have such problems. It's hard to tell from the photo what you have on the "blank" wall. Is there a tv? Maybe take another photo of just the wall.
February 2, 2013 at 7:39pm     
rickster88
Hi! Thanks for your pleasing comments. The wall is where the TV boxes sit at the moment. I haven't got around installing the TV but once that is done the boxes will be removed and that corner will be white bare wall.
The potted plant that is sitting on the left is currently out of place and will sit at the wall in between the folding doors and the TV cabinet.
I'm looking for something that doesn't run old in 5 years time and requires simple or little maintenance.
Any comments?
February 2, 2013 at 7:51pm   
sjkingston
Is there room to flip the orange chair around to sit in front of that wall. Angled back towards the sofa it would create a conversation area and could always be turned back to the tv hen there were more guests. Add a piece of art on that to finish off and draw eye towards that corner. Beautiful room.
February 3, 2013 at 1:43am     
designideas4me
I like the room and the furniture. So you want to remove the long brown shelving? What else do you need in the room or like to look at? Maybe some type of abstract painting with plants. You seem to mention plants a lot and maybe they colors of the art can mimic the other accent colors in the room.
February 3, 2013 at 2:01am     
Sharon
Lovely home. Your rug looks out of place to me. It's not really defining any specific area.

Sorry, I should have said, a rug for the tv room, instead of the area dividing the two rooms would define the area better.
February 3, 2013 at 4:08am     
lydiamuir
You probably don't need to add anything into that space where the boxes are right now, if anything you could add a nice piece of wall art. I agree tho that your rug is a little out of place and flighty with the colours in the rest of your room. I do like the shades of orange, white, creams and wood you have, you could even perhaps add grey into the mid. Like a grey and orange rug with some grey cushions on your sofa. Here's some ideas for colours and art work. The last photo is rather extreme!
February 3, 2013 at 4:24am   
rickster88
Sjkingston - this is how the room looks like with the chair positioned as you mentions. I actually quite like it this way. But something still looks like it is missing. I'm afraid if I put a wall art it may get too complicated.

Designideas4me - yes I do like plants only because it breaks away all things man made of the house and the colours of the green against a white wall and dark furniture gives a contrast and wow factor.
What wall art could you recommend? As I haven't come across something that would match this.

Sharon and lydiamur - the rug was positioned there to subdivide the living room from the dining room. Because the dry kitchen all the way to the living room is one big open space. I've removed the rug and it looks quite empty there. This was the main purpose of the plant too. I didn't want to place the orange chair to subdivide the room because it would make it un-inviting into the living room. I really like the orange throw pillows in your photo. I'm thinking I'll get those made
February 4, 2013 at 6:22am   
rickster88

The rug has a similar pattern to this just with different colours used
February 4, 2013 at 6:24am   
sondramartina
Your rug is great,don't remove it ! I love you dining room !
February 4, 2013 at 6:31am   
jdforney
Looks like you have a lovely home.

I would suggest either a large painting or large format photograph to go in that space.

Or you can put in curtain panels on either side of the large windows. Put in a large rod that is over the windows, then have big curtains on the sides. Make sure they can be pulled across to fit over the windows (not "dummy" panels). You can use a solid or graphic print. The colors can pull from your lovely rug. The space looks like it could use more texture, so even a solid linen would look really nice.
February 4, 2013 at 6:48am   
groveraxle
The living area needs a large rug to define the space. Keep the orange chair in the corner and hang a single piece of art on the wall above it. It could be a painting or a decorative plate or an African mask...
Remodeled master bathroom in Bethesda, MD
examples of my work
Framed Kuba Cloth | Wall Art | Wisteria
February 4, 2013 at 6:50am     
groveraxle
A large rug like this will define your seating area and help to soften the space while keeping the minimalist aesthetic.

February 4, 2013 at 7:38am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Love the space its beautiful!!
February 4, 2013 at 2:44pm   
anthip
Your plant looks like it's in an odd place. Or is it just the angle of the photo? It sort of looks like it's interrupting the flow from living room/dining room to doorway.

I like the orange chair there. I think some sort of 3D art above it would be good. Something organic would be a cool contrast to the very man made looking lounge and would link the more organic dining room furniture in to the lounge.

Nice space.
February 4, 2013 at 4:19pm   
PRO
Alfieri Design
Beautiful space...I'd like to see the upper cabinet removed making the flat screen the focus. The upper cabinet isn't working, but could go above the t.v.
February 4, 2013 at 4:35pm   
sjkingston
The orange chair looks good there (you can see the shape and color). What about moving the ottoman to the other end of the soft (i.e., more to the left side of the sofa) allowing the chair more space (and possibly pulling it forward). Agree with others the right colorful rug and a tall narrow piece of art behind the chair will give the finished look you're looking for. Be patient finding those pieces though and relish the hunt.
February 6, 2013 at 9:01pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Decorative drapery panels can add a lot to the space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
February 7, 2013 at 7:01am   
PRO
Mobel Link Modern Furniture
A very unique chair such as the Motion Chair could fit perfect in this space.
http://mobellink.com/
February 7, 2013 at 7:17am   
rickster88
Hi everyone, I did the quick fix and tried the carpet at the living area and its out of proportion. I'm thinking I need a bigger rug that starts from under the the 3 seater sofa and runs to almost the TV cabinet.
The plant is currently out of place because it needs to be nurtured to low light conditions before I place it where it needs to be.
I'm not up for curtains cause it doesn't match the panel window. I do like what groveraxle recommended but I'll have to slowly hunt for something similar to the colours used
examples of my work
What about placing a tall vase behind the chair, something similar to this Contemporary Condo but much taller?
February 9, 2013 at 7:58pm   
rickster88
Sorry I left out the photos
February 9, 2013 at 8:02pm   
rickster88
I have a couple other wall spaces that looks empty. Like this canvas painting that has been passed down from my grandfather and I've reworked on the frame. I'm not sure if it matches the overall concept and whether the frame should be hung or left on the countertop for that informal look.
February 9, 2013 at 8:06pm   
rickster88
There's a couple of other walls I can't get my head around of what to do with it. Something looks wrong with the empty wall but on the flip side I'm afraid if I put something there it might make it overly complicated.

In the first photo is the load bearing pillar. I'm thinking a tall cement vase with a plant that covers almost up to the ceiling.

In the second and third photo is my study above the yellow sofa. I'm contemplating a canvas painting with colours like in the fourth photo.
February 9, 2013 at 8:21pm     
rickster88
Fourth photo
February 9, 2013 at 8:22pm     
7lexi7
wow. I really like that canvas. I'm not qualified to tell you where to hang it :) but I really think it's great. Where did you find it?
February 9, 2013 at 8:28pm   
rickster88
It's from a magazine under the BoConcept franchise. The title is "rain forest".
February 9, 2013 at 8:30pm     
7lexi7
Thank you! and p.s. you have a LOVELY home!
February 9, 2013 at 8:33pm   
designideas4me
where is your house . Its really cool. I like it. What is your floor made of?
February 10, 2013 at 1:12am     
Darzy
I think a beautiful, colorful original art piece there would be perfect. Something like this? Vertical of course...: ) This is an original 24 x 48" for only $225 on etsy! This may not work vertically but maybe you can contact the artist for your perfect size. BTW...Your rug is great. I'd leave it there. Looks "cool".

February 10, 2013 at 1:42am   
groveraxle
Yes, under the ottoman and the sofa is the right place for a rug, but your rug is way too small. You are correct that you need one that starts from under the the 3 seater sofa and runs to almost the TV cabinet.

Your house is perfect as a showcase for art on the walls. Take your time and look for pieces that speak to you. Canvases, glass and ceramic pieces, wall hangings: you could amass a collection of things you love. (BTW, the one from your grandfather definitely needs to be hung, not leaned, and I would suggest a larger frame and mat. The current mat looks skimpy.)

There are so many possibilities for art, don't limit yourself to canvas and prints.
Decorative Bowl Wall Art
Mask No 2
Imogene Walkine
Overlapping Wall Platters
Etruscan Metallic Wall Plaque-Concentric
The Ladder
February 10, 2013 at 2:29am     
carolins
Great house! Love it.
I did like the rug better where it was originally (between living and kitchen). Although I'd prefer a large rug to define the living room area.
And I do like the orange chair in the corner. It seems to me that you need a floorlamp to go behind the chair. Something like in the enclosed photos?

I'd hang the painting, don't leave it on the countertop. Don't hang it too high though. Eye level (but I'm sure you know that).

Also, perhaps your plant looks better near the window in the corner with that cabinet?

Lantern Arc Floor Lamp CB2
Brella Arc Floor Lamp by Trend Lighting
February 10, 2013 at 2:47am   
Darzy
Groveraxle...I love your art suggestions. Unique and not "flat".
February 10, 2013 at 11:37am   
darleneaut
Utilizing less is more, I would darken the wall the AV equipment is on as right now the wool/equipment jumps out at you. Then when TV is installed, find one great piece of art for that wall. Then, leave it alone!
February 10, 2013 at 11:48am     
nramsey1
Tip for your father's art...you can hang it on a large wall by painting a large square around it. About 6" around the picture. I did it on a vacant wall and it looks like it is in a museum. It would have looked like a postage stamp without the boarder. I used gold since the center of the flowers were gold. You could use any color. A dark taupe is a good option.
February 16, 2013 at 12:30am     
Jean Tuck
Id like the plant in corner behind Tv, blinds do come with floral desgn at them when closed its visable, bought at Home depot if theres other places I cant name them, but there probably is , because you would use blinds to save space, Rug in front of sofa and plain pattern on blinds,for rainy weather you might for cleaning sake want a little runner rug between seating area and dinining area, would hate to put opportunity for slip and fall there in that area.Keep nice open flow in the adjoined rooms for a more spacious feeling..
February 16, 2013 at 1:14am   
sedofen
Right the corner I Would put glass shelves and lots of Willow tree angels.see the Photo.you choose which one you like there are different kinds
February 16, 2013 at 2:36am   
nancymic
Wow you have such a modern clean space in the first photo. You're lucky! Don't feel you have to start filling corners with stuff. You will lose that look if you do. Judging by your sofa you may be looking for that sleek look. I wouldn't put the orange chair in that corner. Nor would I put a vase or tree, and definitely not both. Perhaps a modern painting...
I would live with the room first and maybe add something there if you see something you really love.
February 16, 2013 at 4:43am     
rickster88
Hi all,

For those who have been following, after living with the living room for a while I came to realise what was needed and so I heeded groveraxle's advice and got a rug that would define the space better. The throw pillows for the sofa is coming in soon and I've selected brick and brown which ties in with some of the shades of the rug.

With the rug I feel it's abit retro at the moment. Like its out of place. Maybe the colours need to fade a little. But the space is better defined and it feels alot warmer and cosy.

I also added a jar with white stones in the cabinet to add contrast to the dark cabinets and it was one of the best and cheapest add ons to date (no money spent; it was things I already had in the kitchen and from the left over scraps from renovations).

The room looks more complete and I don't think I want to add anything to the wall I initially thought was bare.
March 31, 2013 at 3:55am     
rickster88
Designideas4me, I live in Malaysia, architecture here is very different to that of the states. The floor is just a 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft white tile. It isn't something very fancy.

I've been going through photos in Houzz
and I love thinking of ways to salvage and repurpose things. I'm thinking of whether I can convert this salvaged mirror from my bathroom remove due to the renovations and not needed now as a piece of furniture by adding frames to it and placing it where it is now. Or should I scrap that whole idea and leave my two other frames where it is now?
March 31, 2013 at 4:22am   
rickster88
I've also been thinking of groveraxle's ideas of art that isn't flat and chanced across this photo that appealed to me Pecos Interior. I'm thinking something copper that ages with natural patina on this wall and the natural day light from the skylight during the day will cast shadows against the wall.

Maybe hung on some cord from floor to ceiling The Logan Residence much like a museum
March 31, 2013 at 4:44am     
rickster88
I managed to get some throw pillows. I'm terrible at pillow placement and excuse the TV set its in a mess.
April 13, 2013 at 4:10am   
carolins
I would just 'throw' the dark pillows in the corners of the sofa, not on an edge/corner, and put the smaller ones in front. This looks a bit too staged and weird, but I guess others may like it :-) Nice rug too.
April 13, 2013 at 5:28am   
groveraxle
Three things to finish what you have started, before you add anything new:
1. Move the rug back 3 inches so the front legs of the sofa sit just over the edge.
2. Move the chair pillow to the couch and group the pillows, two on the left, three on the right.
3. Hang your grandfather's painting at eye level above the cabinet instead of propping it.

This will give a bit more finished look and you might decide it's enough.
April 13, 2013 at 5:35am   
rickster88
I'm definitely not adding anything else to this. I agree with carolin, it is way too staged just doesn't fit into the vibe. So I tried out groveraxle's recommendation. Which do you prefer or what should I change it too? I kind of like the first for that 'not thought of how the pillows are lined up' look.

I agree with the rug. I placed it under the sofa and it's made such a difference! Everything feels so integrated. I moved the sofa further forward and it's definitely more cosy.

Yes I do plan on hanging my grandfather's painting. I just haven't because I'm considering of reframing it. Something tells me to do a black frame with lots of depth to it and a wider and bigger mat to transform it to an old painting with a modern twist but I just can't get my head around to it.

Lately I've been reading up on tablescapes; the shelves above the TV need something else and I'm looking for something sleek, simplicity and neat, something white or copper. Just can't think of something.
April 13, 2013 at 6:46am     
carolins
Cushions: 2nd photo
Rug: hmm... think that this is one of those (rare) situations where the sofa legs don't have to be on the rug. The rug centered under the Ottoman looks best (as far as I'm concerned) and to have the Ottoman at a comfortable distance from the sofa...
April 13, 2013 at 8:38am     
groveraxle
rickster, it would help if you could give us a straight on shot of the TV wall. It's really hard to see the cabinetry and make recommendations for what to put on the shelves. It looks like you have something there already, a light colored pot that echoes the color of your sofa. That's good. Add a little pop of orange in there also to echo the fabulous chair.

I think ceramics like these would fit well:

You also might consider a small collection of Malaysian puppets. Their color and intricacy would be a nice counterpoint to your sleek design. Two puppets hanging on the wall behind the orange chair, or a single puppet standing on the dining table would look good.
April 13, 2013 at 11:27am     
PRO
Osirius Glass Designs
Graphic glass panel with some colour, backlit. Cheers

April 13, 2013 at 12:17pm   
carolins
Question: what do you call a floor like this in English. I was looking for the English translation of 'gietvloer' (at least that is what I think this floor is and that is the Dutch word for it), because I wanted to suggest it to someone last week, but couldn't find it anywhere.
So please, enlighten me?
April 13, 2013 at 12:21pm   
carolins
Something like this could be nice on the left side of the TV I think; http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/art-glass/degree-vase/s312924

I will look further if I can find you some inspiration for dressing the shelves above the TV.
April 13, 2013 at 12:27pm   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Resin floor (poured resin floor?) Hubby seems to think so!
April 13, 2013 at 12:28pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Love yr room. Push orange chair forward about 2 ft, and angle. Put area rug under ottoman. Push sofa and ottoman back about 18". It seems like all furn to close to TV. Will open up this beautiful room. Maybe gray and white print linen panels on each side of window will make it finished. Plant needs to be pushed back some. I'd you want a long. Narrow contemporary picture wall by plant.
April 13, 2013 at 12:33pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
New dining chairs. In bright color like the orange or yellow. Would perk up table. Try Ikea.
April 13, 2013 at 12:34pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Just saw other pics. Rug is too small replace with a contemporary design. 8x10 would-be idea.Behind sofa pic you have too small and you need bright colors. I like the long one in reds.
April 13, 2013 at 12:38pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Do not put rug between the two areas. Doesn't work.
April 13, 2013 at 12:39pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Remember less is more. Nothing needed by TV or on media. Keep the low sleek lines you have now. Perfect.
April 13, 2013 at 12:42pm   
Genevieve
Very nice place in desperate need of colour :) http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Night-Posters_i403315_.htm
April 13, 2013 at 12:46pm   
April 13, 2013 at 12:54pm   
carolins
ASV, thank you. That's it.
April 13, 2013 at 12:56pm     
Ann
Nice space! I really liked the original rug and hope you found a good spot for it.
April 13, 2013 at 1:44pm   
rickster88
Hi carolins, the floor isn't resin it simply is a 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft tile with white grouting. You may not be able to see the grouting because of the very bad picture quality. I recommend that you don't advise your friends or clients with white tile and white grout. Any hair, dirt molecule and dust shows up and the grout discolours. It's a task to clean it up and you have to mop it with bleach and baking powder twice a week (either that or I'm just a neat freak).

The reason why I didn't push the sofa back is because of the space between the front door and the sofa. I didn't want it to give off a cramp look when people first walk in; wanted to maintain an openness feel. To show you the space I'm working with I'll show you using a football. Between the front door and the sofa it comfortably fits 3 footballs about 3+ ft. Between the sofa and ottoman it's about 1+ ft and between the AV and the ottoman it is about 3 ft.

With the ornaments I have to work without any electricity because there isn't any power points on the top shelf and I actually prefer something nice to look at on its own without consumption of electricity. The space is rather dark even with the blinds open. The blue glass jar doesn't really show up as blue or it takes a bit of noticing to confirm it is blue
April 13, 2013 at 10:07pm   
rickster88
More images.
I really like that ceramic coral look-a-like that groveraxle's posted. I have some coral that I placed in my bookshelf and decided to try it out here.
But as you can see the blue is lost in the darkness. I will remove the magazines underneath; hate the idea that the magazines can't be read and used solely for decorative purposes I just had it there.

Ann, oh yes it's found a home upstairs. Just haven't thought of how to integrate the jute and kilim rug.
April 13, 2013 at 10:10pm   
groveraxle
OK, the straight on view of the media console helps a lot. Get rid of the small stuff. The jar with stones can stay. Pair it with a low white bowl. On the right side, something with an organic shape that fills the space. A piece of coral, or a shell, but much bigger than what's there now. Put nothing on the surface with the TV. Depending on how high the ceiling is, you could put a single statement piece on top: a blown glass vase, a plate on a stand, a small modern painting, perhaps.
Marin White Bowl
Giant Clam Shell
Hand-Blown Orange Glass Vase
April 13, 2013 at 10:47pm   
groveraxle
Since your kilim and jute rugs are about the same size, try offsetting them.

April 13, 2013 at 10:59pm   
carolins
I like groveraxle's idea of the white bowl. Don't like the idea of putting something on the top of the cabinet. I will ruin the sleek lines. Whereas I do think that you could put something to the left of the TV. Ah well, how boring would the world be if we all had the same opinions ;-)

I know about the white grout. Not advisable for floors. I have a floor with white grout myself. And three big black labrador dogs. Every now and again I clean the grouts with the steam cleaner. We can never enjoy the clean look for long though. But I'm definitely more relaxed about it than you. You're doing a great job at keeping the floor clean. Perhaps next time you should get a poured resin floor ;-)
April 14, 2013 at 2:06am   
groveraxle
A few photoshops for you to get a sense of accessories:
April 14, 2013 at 7:43am     
glasstealight
What a lovely room. The colours made me think of the artist Cesar Manrique, you might hate this idea but what about painting the two blank white stripes between the cabinets in his style - this would draw the eye there and then the blank wall would be nice with the orange chair against it.
April 15, 2013 at 2:27pm   
rickster88
After a whole of searching I found metal balls that I could place in the shelf above the TV - great to reflect light off it and still creates a modern sleek contemporary look and feel. What do you guys think?

I've also set up the TV set perfectly and every thing is neat and tidy. Upon looking at everything as a whole it still somehow looks like something is missing like as though its so cold and lonely (the plant is still outside nurturing and will fill the space between the dining and living).

I've yet to hang my grandfather's frame up cause I don't think it matches the overall scheme of things; it's rather dull and makes the room dull

At the moment I don't feel like painting walls. The ceiling has a slight tinge of grey so am not very sure how the variety of colours will fit.

What do you guys think?
July 27, 2013 at 5:51am   
carolins
Your room is really beautiful, the metal balls are a great addition, but I see what you mean about the 'cold and lonely' feel.
I think you could use a different layer of light. The only light you have now is overhead lighting and that creates a flat feel. You need some great lamps that give a more cozy light to your space. Also, you could hang your grandfather's frame and surround it with all kinds of other, smaller pics so that it isn't so lonely up there and you'll have a very interesting creative wall.

Holiday Decor
Sixteen Doors

Floor lamp:
Adjustable Metal Floor Lamp
Global | LZF - Link floor lamp
Innermost Asteroid Floor Lamp

Lamp for cabinet under grandfather's painting:
Flos - Spun Light T1 table lamp
BÖJA Table lamp
July 27, 2013 at 7:12am   
mountie
If you're keeping the orange chair in the corner, add a modern arc floor lamp next to it.
July 27, 2013 at 1:02pm   
rickster88
Oh carolins, I do have a lamp globe under the frame, you weren't able to see it because of my poor picture quality when the light was turned on. By the way I found a great way to clean the white tile grout... You've got to use baking soda and a little bleach. It works wonders!

I do like your last photo on the lamps. The glass enclosed leave on the floor type. I've never seen such a thing before its quite intriguing. However, I'm unable to place lamps where the orange chair is as there's no switches close to it. So today I got another plant and placed it between the window and the sofa. It looks great as a filler and softens things down but it does obstruct the view outside a little. What are your thoughts on this one?

I'm going to have to slowly explore that option of framing other frames around my grandfather's frame. Your ideas look great but I just don't know how to subtly incorporate that into an old-ish looking picture that has dull colours.
July 28, 2013 at 7:15am   
carolins
Ooohhh, haha... I did think that the downlighter/spotlight above the cabinet gave a huge amount of light, but now I know it was your cool lamp ;-) Hmm... shame you don't have an outlet near the orange chair. There are extension cords (not sure if that is a technical term) for lamps, but you wouldn't want to see a cord running from one end of the room to the other of course. Would it be possible to let it run through or across the floor plinth or under the TV cabinet?

Anyway... just something to think about, because I do think that an added layer of light will make a difference.

The plant looks good. You could always move it more towards the cabinet with your grandfather's painting, so that it is next to the window and fills that blank wall a bit?
July 28, 2013 at 11:27am   
rickster88
Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I wanted to update those interested in progress :)

After much time searching I've lost all hope but DIY-ing something for the wall where the lamp is - it was either too darn expensive, too common (oil paintings that looked like it was replicated), or the size didn't fit.

I've been thinking hard on what to put up on this wall and I guess I've made my mind up on the overall scheme but not down to the finer details. I decided to make origami paper cranes and mount it directly on the wall using metal wires so it projects out and casts a shadow on the wall. I'm hoping this would create visual interest on the wall while keeping the art toned down. For an example of my idea it looks like the pictures attached (only it won't be taped to the wall and I'll be using white paper for this). And the final product will look something similar to the koi photo attached.

I think I just need a vote of confidence on this project that I've been slowly progressing. I can't figure out the specific details of it like how many paper cranes should I be using? What size of the paper cranes should I be using? Is white paper the best option or should I use magazines or coloured paper? Should I add a thick black frame around it for added focus or will it do without a frame? How shall I place the paper cranes, in proper symmetry or in random patterns?
January 26, 2014 at 5:20am     
groveraxle
I love this idea. I think you'll have to play with it a bit. I definitely would not do a frame and, in fact, I think I'd do a mobile and hang it from the ceiling. It will cast shadows and move as well.

I like that your cranes are different sizes. I think I'd use the same paper for each one, or perhaps different papers that are close in tone as opposed to high contrast cranes.

Some inspiration:
January 26, 2014 at 6:30am     
carolins
Lovely idea!
January 26, 2014 at 6:50am     
PRO
Alfieri Design
What a wonderful idea!
I definitely think it should be random, like nature. Thank-you for posting.
January 26, 2014 at 9:25am     
PRO
Osirius Glass Designs
Cool idea! I think they should be in a pattern. And sizes should vary and combine to create more 3D effect with lighting. Be nice to see your finished piece when your done. Cheers Sirius
January 26, 2014 at 9:43am     
yytcm
Don't give up on your grandfather's painting. It's subdued in color which is different from the other accents in your room but it has the orange to work with the chair and even the blue can be worked in. Might cost a small fortune but working with a creative framer to mat it and reframe it could produce a one-of-a-kind treasure that would be a stand-out in your wonderful room. I recently did this with a cheap poster I'd had forever and loved but that was nothing much in it's poster frame. Now, it's the focus point you see when you turn the hallway corner and look into the room. I find myself standing at the end of the hallway frequently just looking and loving it. You obviously like your grandfather's painting and I think it could become the most beloved piece in your wonderful home.
January 26, 2014 at 10:12am     
housedresser2013
Well, you could put a clock, or a safe, or even a "dumb waiter".
January 26, 2014 at 10:16am   
rickster88
Groveraxle, I would like to do a mobile, unfortunately, I would have to build some sort of overhang or mess about with the plaster ceiling. I think I prefer the wires for a cleaner look. And I can replace any crane if needed as it's not strung up.

Thanks I'll try with one colour. In fact I made 40 already of different sizes. What I plan to do is to have the wires at random lengths so it creates a different level of depth. Not sure if I should have all the smaller sized cranes at one length and the others at a different length? Or just make it even more random. And which direction should the cranes face. Into the house or out of the house?

I admit that the cranes aren't folded extremely precisely but I don't think you notice it from a distance unless up close inspection, which is why I cannot place them in a particular format. I just have a feeling that anything in a particular arranged format should be sculpted to precision. Someone commented that the cranes I have are too small. But I'm thinking that on its own the small cranes look isolated but when clustered the effect will pull through.

I made a prototype. Only problem I had was that the wires I had were too thick and hence made it difficult to precisely shape it. I'll get thinner wires otherwise it'll be a nightmare trying to get 200 wires done haha.

The instructions that I'm following are from this website. http://m.instructables.com/id/Wall-of-Rainbow-Koi/step6/Mounting/

Yytcm, oh no I haven't given up on the painting. I sent it to a professional framer and he understood the value of it. It has atleast 30 years behind it and although the colours have some watermarks and has started to fade I think it adds more character to it. I just found a better wall to hang the painting (the photo below is before the reframing as I've yet to get it back). I think it belongs there.
February 1, 2014 at 8:47pm     
rickster88
I just did a mock up with a couple of cranes on a styrofoam board using masking tape for the time being. What are your critiques?

I made metal pins at 3 different heights, so not only do I have cranes in different sizes but I have them at different depths.
February 3, 2014 at 8:25pm   
carolins
I really like the idea of adding structure and shapes instead of colour, but the cranes look too tiny I think. What do you think?
February 4, 2014 at 1:32am   
groveraxle
OK, rickster, to be honest, they look a little static. Something about gluing the cranes to the wall doesn't have the same effect as the koi.

I really do think they need to fly and I think it would be fairly simple. If you can get three cup hooks into the ceiling in a triangular shape and string a wire between them, you could attach cranes strung on fishing line to the wire. You could put many cranes on each fishing line. And while you wouldn't easily be able to replace a crane, I expect you wouldn't have to (unless you have a high-jumping cat who decides they're a toy).
February 4, 2014 at 4:45am   
groveraxle
Now that I rethink that, I think you could hang a paper crane mobile from a single cup hook in the ceiling. Even simpler, and probably easier than gluing 200 cranes to the wall.
February 4, 2014 at 4:57am   
soto01
Hi Rickster! Just a few thoughts as I am coming to the party "late". If it were me, I would get the much larger area rug. Put one as well under the dining table and chairs. That will work wonders for cozying up the place. It looks empty because there is too much bare white floor showing. I know you didn't really want to -- but if you would change the orange chair over to the dining side of the room (it would not close off the open feeling of the room); that would also fill in the empty side of the room, without that little "floater" rug. You need some orange pillows (one or two for the sofa to carry the orange chair color through the space. If you want something on the bare corner wall where the chair is now, you could try a set of three mirrors framed in the same wood tone as the TV cabinet. They would bring some light reflected into that dark corner. If you don't like the orange chair over there, you could always move it back. Just try it, post it, and see what everyone else thinks. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how it works to fill up empty space. But the biggest thing is to put a way bigger area rug under the sofa and to the entertainment cabinet. It will make a great difference!
February 4, 2014 at 6:19am   
soto01
P.S. Love the white crane sculpture idea! You could even make them orange if you want more color. I love the white ones myself.
February 4, 2014 at 6:21am   
rickster88
Hi Carolins! Yes I do think it is a little small. From far I can't make out what it is and looks like trash on the wall. But when it hits dawn and then night the shadows that are casted against the wall projects a bigger crane and then I can understand what I'm looking at from far. This is how it looks at night :) I need bigger ones now

Groveraxle, I drew my inspiration from these photos on Houzz. Although these look a bit flat the general concept was to have the shadows casted against the wall. I altered it by having several heights and created a less structured look.

I was a little afraid of hanging the cranes for the above reasons. One of the other things I'm also afraid of hanging it is that I don't want it to end up like one of those room dividers. There's one photo that I really liked that you sent. Do you think this is easy to do? And can it be reproduced against a wall (it seems from the photo that it had space and was meant to separate or break up a room). However it doesn't look like these cranes will be less static considering how tightly strung it is on the cord. I'm thinking that it is strapped down on the ground as well. Any ideas?

Pecos Interior
Townhouse Renovation in San Diego
Carroll Gardens Abode
February 4, 2014 at 6:40am     
yytcm
Hi, Ridkster! Glad to hear about your progress with your grandfather's painting. I know it's going to look great. In fact, everything you've done has been great with great ideas from Houzzers as always - maybe hasn't all worked out but you aren't afraid to try, and if you don't try .... Love the idea of the white cranes, though agree they need to be much larger and probably fewer. The picture above with tons of little white ones looks like a scene from Hitchcock's "The Birds", only white instead of black. And the hanging blue and white ones look like the beaded curtains of the hippy 60s and 70s. Fewer and much bigger and more significant, I think. What I really love is that orange accent wall behind the black crane wall sculpture above. Since you've got a lot of orange going with the chair and pillows and colors in the painting to come back and the rug, may an accent wall somewhere in the orange. Would help to warm up the space, I think. If that idea appeals to you, maybe some Houzzer who knows Photoshop could try it on different walls for you. In another post I was following, someone did it with different colored pillows and with some artwork and it helped a lot.
February 4, 2014 at 7:20am   
PRO
catieb
One of my neighbors is an origami artist. She attached butterflies to the front of her house. They form a "swoop" (think similar to Nike logo shape). And are two or three shades of a color (but then she has added to them at times). I"ll try to go take a photo. But I think why it works and what is making yours appear "stagnant" is that they need some color, even if it is shades of grey, so it doesn't look like lumpy wall texture. Also, I think some of them need to be directly attached to the wall and then some on wire, turn some of them so you see them from above, and lastly, don't think of them confined to just above the chest - scale them to the entire wall, and the chest will fit below.

I think you will find that you need to either go with larger pieces (my least favorite idea, personally) or create many, many more and create a large "piece of art". Since this is really not a DIY project any more but about you creating art - you will have to play with this over and over as any artist would. I think I would worry less about the shadows, etc as you know that concept will work when you are done. That's a given. Instead focus on the arrangement of the cranes. Have a glass of wine, place them with your less dominant hand....anything to get you out of working with your technical mind and connecting with your creative side.

It is a wonderful concept and goes beautifully with the rest of your home - I can't wait to see the completed solution.
February 4, 2014 at 8:19am     
nramsey1
Paint the wall/nook around the TV console. A muted color, perhaps a color from your rug. Looks like there is a khaki color that would be nice.
February 5, 2014 at 12:36pm   
rickster88
Catieb, I agree with you. The cranes need a touch of grey - like shades of grey. This is how it stands without the grey cranes. I used the bigger variation of the white paper cranes and so far like it. It's got a very nice minimalist look.

Still flat?
What I've also done is made the metal pins longer so it projects further from the wall.
March 1, 2014 at 6:27am     
carolins
I like it.
March 1, 2014 at 6:34am   
rickster88
Thanks Carolin!

I was planning to put that frame on the left of the photo around most of the cranes and leave one or two outside the frame but I think detaches itself from being modern. Abit too quirky haha!

Perhaps with the greyish cranes I wouldn't need to.
March 1, 2014 at 6:39am