powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help needed! King bed vs Queen?? How to know if king is too big for space?
cmcole1121
February 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a nice size bedroom (long but not wide) and my husband wants to get a king bed. We really like the attached upholstered bed (without footboard) and we do have room for the king (between 2 windows). But since headboard is pretty high and bed is king I'm worried it may take over room. Any tips as to how big bed should be?? Any help would be great!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Masking tape size on floor and walk around it. Tape mark other funiture and see if you like it.
February 2, 2013 at 10:09PM     
cmcole1121
I've already done that - thanks though. Still not sure.
February 2, 2013 at 10:23PM   
raynel
How big is the room?
February 2, 2013 at 10:31PM   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Your furniture should not take up more than 2/3 of your total floor space. That would be bed, bedside tables, and anything else that stands on the floor.
February 2, 2013 at 10:34PM     
86aynrand
My husband and I lived for 22 years with first a double bed, then a queen, thinking our bedroom was too small for a king. We went to a Historical Tour and this little bedroom had a king size. It looked a tad big but not really crazy. I thought about that king for a couple years and when we needed to (finally) get a new bed we got a king. OMG - Heaven. I was always squished to the side - if one of our kids came in I was practically on the floor! This new bed is so WONDERFUL! I have my own space - I sleep so much better - my husband sleeps better (we got a # bed & he likes his a lot harder than I do) and it's made such a great change in my life. I wish we'd done this years ago when we first started our family. A king has enough room for any little one needing a cuddle in the middle of the night.

We spend 1/3 of our lives in bed. A king gives each person a twin size area. Not that much when you think about it. Don't we deserve comfort for such an important activity? So it's a little big in your room... how much? 6 or 8 inches? It's worth it - trust me.
February 2, 2013 at 10:50PM     
mveasey
Sooo happy we got a King size bed. To be honest, you mainly sleep in your bed for hours, you only look at your bedroom a couple of minutes...if it would improve your sleep quality, who cares if it looks a bit large. Having a bigger bed made a huge difference in our lives.
If you would not have a footboard, the bed will look less intrusive in the room, if omitting is an option.
If you do get a king size bed, make sure you have lots of mattress support underneath, under the boxspring as well, so there will be less sagging. Do not pay full price, wait for sales and read reviews of customers on independent websites.
February 2, 2013 at 10:59PM     
onthefence
Once you've taped the area off, fill the taped area with boxes. Cover them with sheets and blankets to get a VERY rough approximation of how it will feel in the room. I've had to do this a few times just to get a feel for how much visual space something takes. It's not pretty or perfect - but it does work for me.
February 3, 2013 at 12:41AM     
sally216
queen bed is so much lovelier than a king because you can snuggle next to your love
February 3, 2013 at 2:38AM   
86aynrand
News flash: you can snuggle in a king too.
February 3, 2013 at 11:47AM     
amgraham
would rather have space then get a smaller bed to snuggle for a few minutes. after a few years snuggling last for a few minutes then he starts snoring and farting
February 4, 2013 at 5:36AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you have at least 2ft. on one side and 3ft on the side with the closet a king would work. I prefer a queen though.
February 4, 2013 at 5:41AM   
86aynrand
@ amgraham - LOL - true that!
February 4, 2013 at 12:15PM   
Judy M
The king is same length as queen but sixteen inches wider, so if current bed is sitting in a long wall, as long as you have an additional eight inches of space to spare on each side of current bed allowing for night stand space, it should work.
February 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
rrhome1
I am looking for the same headboard but no footboard. Don't want to pay a fortune but I have seen some really cheap looking ones. Any ideas of where to find it?
July 6, 2014 at 2:16PM   
cmcole1121
This is from Bassett - where we got ours. You can customize as you want. Not inexpensive but very good quality. We love it & got headboard only.
July 6, 2014 at 2:39PM   
rainymorning
I own a queen (guest room) bed and a king in the master BR. I wish I had never purchased the king. It's difficult to move. I am a person who likes to rearrange my furniture. It's difficult to put the linens on and tuck them in because the mattress is so heavy. It swallows up too much space. King size bed linens cost more. If you relocate, the king may not fit the new quarters.
July 6, 2014 at 2:55PM   
rrhome1
Thank you!
July 6, 2014 at 3:52PM   
Fran Webb
Go with the comfort of the King bed. To make it look less intrusive use less puffy bedding; tailored bedspread versus a bulky comforter. We have a beautiful quilted bedspread for our King that is gorgeous. Think of it in the same manner as you would clothing that would make you look thinner versus the ones that add bulk and weight, then you realize with the correct bedding you can make your bed look smaller and less overpowering in the room and still very attractive, maybe even more so.
July 6, 2014 at 4:11PM   
tascosa74
Love, love, LOVE a king if you have the space for it. You can resolve the weight issue mentioned in an earlier post by simply purchasing a Select Comfort bed. I'm recently divorced and still love the king for when the grand kids visit. Oh, and I have no trouble at all changing sheets or rearranging the furniture by myself--it's an air bed!
July 6, 2014 at 5:02PM     
adivra
Even with a regular bed you can put the legs on furniture sliders and it'll move easily.
July 6, 2014 at 6:01PM   
andi765
As long as you have room on the sides for decent sized night stands, go for the King. I think the most important area where you want space is at the foot. You are right to nix the footboard...makes changing the sheets or making the bed more difficult. If you have room, just add a small bench to finish off the look of a footboard and to have some place to sit when putting on shoes, etc. And go for something like the Simmons Beautyrest...you know...the "jump-on-the bed-with-a-wine-glass-sitting-on-the-mattress-and-it-doesn't-move" bed. We love the fact that if the other gets out of bed the other doesn't even know.
July 6, 2014 at 8:41PM   
andi765
Oh, and I agree with Fran...stay away from those Bed-in-a-Bag big fat fluffy comforter things. They look hideous. Find something more tailored that lays flat but covers the sides of the bed frame.
July 6, 2014 at 8:44PM   
cmcole1121
While I appreciate all the comments this thread is actually pretty old and I have my KING size bed for a while now ;-). I'm glad everyone agrees with the decision :-)
July 6, 2014 at 8:58PM   
More Discussions
Making room for curtains? What are rules for window treatments?
I hate how my builder put my windows right next to...
Lighten my kitchen please!
We moved into our house a year ago. The kitchen had...
Paint, what colour do we choose!?
We need some serious help! Neither of us have any design...
Lounge sofa problem
I have 2 lounge chairs in my small living room. One...
TV location?
Am in the process of purchasing this home. It is small,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.