Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Thoughts on this sofa in family room?
caromck
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What do you all think of this sofa to replace my green microsuede couch? I love the nailheads, leather, that it's 70" inside length (enough to stretch out), tighter back, has some flair in its design. I'm not sure whether it's too "western" and would dominate everything else in the room, though. Appreciate your inputs! (P.S. more concerned with the furniture blending together than layout in the room, will only be living in this house another year). I'd like to mix in a kilim-covered chair also.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Steven Sobti
I think It would go really well, especially since your table and tv stand are dark brown it will be a great contrast. But just be careful not to make the space to tight.
February 3, 2013 at 1:33AM     
caromck
Good point about contrast to darker wood! Thanks! The space in the current house is a little tight, but trying to work with it anyway. What shape throw pillows would look good on this couch? Do you think a round suzani would be too much?
February 3, 2013 at 4:07AM   
Sharon
I might be inclined to go without cushions on this sofa. (Am sure some will tut tut at me!) I just think its a beautiful statement piece, let it be. Of course if you want cushions to lay back and watch tv, go for it.
February 3, 2013 at 4:11AM     
PRO
Design Mode
The sofa makes a statement, and would set the style for your room, but it needs accessories. The chair, graphic & rustic patterned pillows, and a sheepskin style throw would be great friends for your sofa, instead of letting the it sit there like a sore thumb. Go with down-filled pillows and use gripping micro-suede on the backs, because pillows and throws tend to slip off leather furniture.
February 3, 2013 at 4:53AM     
feeny
I love your kilim covered chair, but since you've asked for honest opinions I have to say I don't like the couch. The scalloped back looks out of date and unattractive to me when combined with the leather and nailheads (both of which features I like), and as a whole the piece draws too much attention to itself, but not in a good way. I'd prefer much simpler lines for a leather couch. But I do love the Southwestern style you are going for, and I think a leather couch with kilim chair and throw pillows will look fabulous. I just think you need a couch that makes a bit less of a "statement".
February 3, 2013 at 5:03AM     
caromck
thanks for all your feedback! I figured people would have mixed reactions to the sofa. When I first started looking, I don't think I would have given this one a second glance because of the scalloped back. But, then looking more, I loved the mix of classic features with that shape because it does make more of a statement. That being said, I don't want to make the statement, "I am a weirdly out of date sofa" because I want to keep the piece for many years! :) But after thinking it over for about 6 weeks, I am still drawn to it.
February 3, 2013 at 7:31AM   
soberg
The sofa is unusual and would definitely help avoid the very bland look that is easy to fall into. I do see the appeal on the sofa...it is well-designed and well proportioned, obviously the work of a furniture designer with a lot of confidence and a unique vision. Being rustic, it would work great with your chunky furniture and kilim upholstery. Any pillows should be sturdy, rustic fabrics such as burlap-texture linen in solid colors.

The sofa won't date because it isn't trendy. Only trendy things date and this sofa can't be trendy since I have never seen anything like it. It is a unique piece and since you really like its look and its comfort, I say go for it.
February 3, 2013 at 7:40AM     
caromck
do you think the rug in the attached image would blend with the rest of the stuff? Maybe not that particular kilim chair, but the sofa and other furniture at least? I am looking for a more colorful rug to spice up the room and make a more complete look. I like traditional rugs, Persian, Kazak, Turkish.
February 4, 2013 at 1:30PM   
ssmile
Adding the couch would give your a space a real south-western flair
February 4, 2013 at 1:39PM   
caromck
@ssmile - I agree and I love that it brings out the southwestern flavor, although I don't really have that theme throughout the rest of my house. So, is it ok to just have the sofa and maybe work a few other pieces that are rustic into that room without going full-on southwestern? I really appreciate your thoughts on this! I've been mulling it over for months.
February 4, 2013 at 1:42PM   
anthip
Is it comfy? Your current sofa looks really comfy.
February 4, 2013 at 1:54PM   
caromck
I haven't had a chance to sit in it because very few stores have this particular couch in their inventory. I had a company rep describe it and say it's pretty comfy - but will probably hold off on ordering it until I have a chance to sit in it at some point. My current sofa's springs are shot and it just sags. I have to pile up about 4 pillows behind my back to be comfortable sitting on it for a few hours at a time. It's not very supportive, which is why I'm looking for a firmer couch for more back support. You should feel the mattress on my bed - it's like a rock! I'm a normal body-weight, athletic person, but just like the firmer feel I guess.

If not that rug I attached the pic of above, any suggestions on style of rug that would look good and mesh well with the couch? Thanks!
February 4, 2013 at 2:22PM