Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New kitchen. Needs backsplash ???
countryviewkris
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Newly constructed kitchen. Cabinets are birch painted in cloud white. Wondering what type of backsplash would look the best.

Thanks Kris
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Steven Sobti
Hi, I just got a similar kitchen done in my house. The type we got was long glass tile pieces of different colors. I think that grey, black, and cream backsplash would look really good!
February 3, 2013 at 5:26am     
marshadraskovich
You can never go wrong with white subway tile!
February 3, 2013 at 5:28am     
sbab4
Hi, Can you tell me how high your celings are and how tall your cabinets are. I will be doing a kitchen redue in my new house and I would like to do cabinets like yours. Are the cabinets new or were they existing cabinets and just painted. If new, what brand are they. Thanks.
February 3, 2013 at 5:38am     
olldcan
I have started to hate ceramic tile back splashes with a passion, especially when the tile is small. If you are clutter free on your tops, mirror backs plashes can be beautiful. A back painted glass or very large tile eliminating as many grout lines as possible. Your counter is beautiful, I wouldn't wreck your kitchen with a busy backsplash that would even try to compete with that gorgeous top. What ever you decide, keep it simple, understated elegance is best.

Curious, what is your counter top, I just love it :)
February 3, 2013 at 5:45am     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, nothing beats the timeless quality of subway tiles !

February 3, 2013 at 9:21am     
countryviewkris
Thanks for the suggestions. The heights are 86 & 93". Made by Triangle Kitchens. Counter tops are from Formica fx180 -dolce vita
February 3, 2013 at 9:26am   
Kelsey Chin
I think a pencil glass backsplash would look great!
February 3, 2013 at 9:29am     
berndog2
I just read this along with all the comments. And as a result there is always a part of me that wonders.. What are the styles of today that will become the 1970’s avocado greens of the past? I am always wondering what home buyers will not like down the road. I know that putting hip materials into my house may look good now; I don’t believe that they will be well accepted in the future.
So the real question is I am hearing is.. What can I do that will be timeless? And also meet the durability required by a kitchen? Assuming it will be used regularly 2 to 3 times a day for the next 20 years, I think that this should be well thought out. Coments?
February 3, 2013 at 9:52am     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Classic is, for me, the best way to go. You have a clean, modern, sleek design that is timeless. You have a beautiful counter top material that will wear well for decades because of the colours. Your eye has already chosen sleek and beautiful. Let you eye pick the next "sleek" tile. I would look at a lighter colour that is in the counter top that COMPLIMENTS the white of the cabinets. Gray is the "avocado green" of 2010 - 2015. Go back to the basics of "classic". Simple, sleek, single coloured tiles (perhaps run at a 45 deg. angle for design appeal) would do the best for you.

There is so much colour in the counter top you could go with any of those and do very well. As beautiful as the "gray/blues" are for today, they will be gone tomorrow. The next design colour that is coming in is "emerald". That should give you a clue as to how quickly colours come and go!
February 3, 2013 at 10:55am     
PRO
Dorothy Durbin Interior Design
The design is achromatic and modern. The space appears dark to me. By adding some glass tile infused with metal you will add some dimension and light to the kitchen. This is a blank slate and the most important decision as it is the finishing touch. The option of subway tiles in a white glass would look great. Consider using a grout color that matches the countertops.
February 3, 2013 at 11:18am   
DeeDee Ferguson
Just curious on what tile you chose. I have the exact countertop and am going through the same dilemma. Trying to decide if I should go with a plain white subway tile, a stainless steel one or the white glass as suggested above.
November 12, 2013 at 11:47am   
PRO
Tile Circle
A white tile would look great with that countertop and white cabinets! http://www.tilecircle.com/mother-of-pearl-collection/mop02.html
November 12, 2013 at 4:22pm     
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
arizona tile's soho glass cloud would look great
November 12, 2013 at 4:31pm     
indianpatti
I would go with a white 3x12 or 4x12 glass tile:
November 12, 2013 at 4:37pm     
Ruth Natello
Hi - I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions for your backsplash... I think the choice should be based on what style you want. The glass tile, whether multicolored or solid color definitely lends itself to a more modern style. The plain white ceramic subway type tiles will be much more traditional. One suggestion I did not see was a subway style tile in marble, this might add more traditional with glamor.
November 12, 2013 at 6:32pm   
jenniferkate
"What can I do that will be timeless? And also meet the durability required by a kitchen?"
I agree with marshadraskovich, can't go wrong with white subway tiles. Also, I love the color of your countertops! Or maybe like some of these other pics…
November 12, 2013 at 6:47pm   
PRO
Creative Ceramic & Marble
I'm with the others suggesting linear glass, specifically white, silver, and clear linear glass mosaic. It would be the perfect compliment to that beautiful stone countertop you have!
November 12, 2013 at 7:14pm     
cathieg
The only suggestion I would disagree with here is the back painted glass backsplash. My niece has one and every time I walk in all I can see is the smudges and smears on it. These are more visible from further away due to the reflection of light, so unless you are completely fastidious, I would go with a tile.
November 12, 2013 at 7:36pm     
bjwpg
I *must* comment on berndog2's and Cancork Floor Inc.'s remarks with a yes, yes, YES.

This whole issue of 'how can I avoid decor choices now that will look dated in a few / ten / twenty years' has been swirling around in my head, well, truthfully for years.

I see from my amateur side row seat a sometimes desperate attempt by both professionals and laypeople in the last 15 years or so, to acheive this timeless perfection in current home decor. I am on the fence as to whether this is even possible. As Cancork Floor says: "Gray is the 'avocado green' of 2010 - 2015". And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't grey popular during one part of the 90s as well? Boy, that didn't take long to do a turn around (oddly enough).

Regardless, even Cancork Floor's good suggestion of "simple...single coloured tiles" could look dated unless one stuck to white or perhaps, as he/she suggests, a colour that takes off from the counter colour. But even *then* it could look dated in time. (sigh)

It struck me recently that marble and marble tiles are one product that just *might* stand the test of time as kitchen and bath materials, if only because they've been used for centuries and still look good today. But marble's disadvantages have been well documented and really, we can't all use marble either. Hmm...and wasn't marble popular in the 80s, particularly for upscale soaker tub surrounds? And don't most people look at that now and recoil? That 'marble' might have been more ceramic tiles with a marble pattern, but no matter.

It has also occurred to me why one sees SO many shaker style kitchen and bath cabinets the last few years. I wonder if, beyond the fact that it's a great look in both contemporary and traditional spaces, it is because we think it's a 'safe' style choice. The cathedral top design from the 80s and 90s looks so passe now, even though that shape could hardly be called radical.

I'd love to go on, but I've already indulged in this theoretical tangent long enough.
November 12, 2013 at 9:03pm     
nechamaj
Personally, I'd go for something quiet and sleek, like the large white tiles someone posted above. Or very shocking, I might even leave the backsplash untiled and just painted!
November 13, 2013 at 7:19am   
Katie Colle
how did this kitchen turn out? I am curious as I am now considering Dolce Vita for my kitchen's makeover...
July 9, 2014 at 6:58pm