Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Granite countertops, decision
erintom
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The total counter space is less than 50 square feet and there will be a butcher block across the radiator. I am having trouble deciding on granite. I want something a little bold, Typhoon Bordeaux (below) and my husband is worried that it will overwhelm. We are keeping the same style cabinets, putting a dishwasher in to the left of the radiator. This is a minor remodel but a big deal for me. Any ideas? Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dalma darling
Good for you for updating the space. It's not minor at all - it will take work and look great in the end! It's been a couple weeks since you posted your photos - What phase of the project are you in now?
February 20, 2013 at 9:54PM   
cyn222
The wood trim on the cabinets is making the kitchen smaller to me. Also really low. Can they be raised and painted white or another color to compliment your decor? I like the stone, but would go with all white cabinets to brighten up the room. How about opening some cabinets and painting the back wall to bring in some color and accent your dishes. All cabinets doors across is dated.
February 20, 2013 at 9:58PM   
erintom
New cabinets in an old house, a few problems with uneven floors but the cabinet is in and looks great. Granite, sink and dishwasher next, along with new hardware.
February 21, 2013 at 1:52PM     
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
just make sure those cabinets are level front to back and side to side for the countertops. Otherwise your installer will be very upset! And that granite will NOT be too overwhelming. You'll love it. What are you doing for your backsplash?

What color are you painting the cabinets? Walls?
February 21, 2013 at 3:52PM   
erintom
The granite is great, still working on some subtle color.
March 18, 2013 at 6:09PM     
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
from what I can see of the granite...be careful of the yellow/gold tones you have poked into your cabinets there.
March 19, 2013 at 7:13AM   
erintom
Curb Appeal, I appreciate your comment and realize that it is hard to capture the colors in the granite in a photo. We still haven't decided on colors but are thinking about a pale terra cotta on the cabinet panels to complement maple and cherry. I want the feel to be calm but look fab. A conundrum and getting close to decision time.
March 23, 2013 at 6:17AM   
erintom
Granite and butcher block daylight photo.
March 23, 2013 at 6:20AM