powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to arrange furniture with long living room, Fireplace in center, and doorway off center
michellekorb
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

We have an old house, when you walk in the large foyer there is a large doorway to the right into a long living room. The fireplace is in the very center of living room (on the long wall) but opposite the fireplace isn't a full wall, it's 1/2 of the doorway and 1/2 of the wall. Where do we put a TV, couches so that the fireplace isn't ignored but the TV is the focal point? We really don't want to mount over the Fireplace, especially because the opposite wall is broken up by the doorway. The east doorframe is directly center across from the fireplace. We would consider other furniture options as we need to replace our couch and chair soon......here are some pictures.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claudiann
. I love your room. It has so much character. I would bring a comfy chair off the wall and put it at an angle in front and side of the fireplace with its back angle facing the door opening. I would put the tv next to the fireplace. It may be a little in front of the window . Then I would put a couch on the wall across from the tv on the solid wall. Then I would put another chair in the corner opposite the chair at an angle in front of the fireplace. It would have a lamp and end table. I would try to put a pole lamp on the end of the couch near the door opening. I would put table and a couple of chairs where the two striped chairs are. I'd make this a little library with the shelves on the wall.
February 3, 2013 at 7:56PM   
dbyrne65
I, too love your room! I love the two chairs by the built-ins. That looks very nice. I would let the fireplace be an accent I guess and forget trying to group furniture around it. I would put the tv on the solid wall, and put the couch across from it. Put the two chairs where the tv is now. I think two matching chairs would look better when the time comes to purchase. Perhaps some pillows or throws to tie things in? I think from a practical viewpoint, having the tv I front of a window makes it hard to see the tv, and see out the window.
February 3, 2013 at 9:38PM     
dbyrne65
Ok, second thought. Perhaps if you don't need the seating, you could remove the brown leather chair? Your room feels too full. With the two slipper chairs, it seems you have some flexible seating for guests? Then perhaps the couch in front of the window..and chair by the fireplace? Another thought!
February 3, 2013 at 9:43PM     
tytytytyty
I am inclined to put the TV on the one whole wall...and place the couch across from it about a foot in from the window...I would then place the two chairs in front of the fireplace with a little table in front of them perhaps a circular one...then the fireplace becomes a cozy read/chat .drink coffee place...enjoying the fireplace and one of the chairs allows you to look out the door and the window across the way... this allows for flow all around...and use the two slipper chairs on either side of the tv stand...making them accessible to watch TV....or for being able to chat... so this would leave one couch to be removed... the flow of the space would be clean then and the views of windows, fireplace and TV are taken full advantage of...I love your home...willl be purchasing something similar in the near future...enjoy
February 3, 2013 at 10:37PM   
PRO
XCLUSIVE INTERIORS
hi Michelle,
i would suggest to have a long TV unit a low level one along the whole wallside opposite to your windows and place a L shape sofa either fabric or leather one along both window sides, go for a low level center table infront of sofa. add shade curtains to windows to avoid reflection of lights while watching TV. Also you can fix TV on the wall (wall mounting). Next to the door of fire place in second picture you can go for a launge sofa along the window side or place the two single unit sofas with a small coffee table or a magazine rack in between , alongside of the window wall instead of placing it in angles as you have done now.this gives a spacious look to your long living room.
cheers- Vidya Rao.
February 3, 2013 at 11:26PM     
tytytytyty
love these ideas Vidya rao
February 10, 2013 at 2:18PM   
PRO
XCLUSIVE INTERIORS
thanks joanies !!!
February 12, 2013 at 1:22AM