Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help with my pyramid roof
angel
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
please advice on how the pyramid roofs should be on my house..........
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angel
HELP....................................................................................................
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:02AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I'm a little confused about your description of a "pyramid" roof. Do you mean a hipped roof? I mean a rood that slopes in four directions? Any roof starts with a rectangle, so the bump out I see at the front of your house needs to be added in as a dormer, projecting from the main body of the roof. More information and a framing plan would be best generated by a local draftsman. Go to "find a local pro" on houzz and research someone to help. Where is your home located? Your building style looks more Central American than United States.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:51AM
lefty47
HI -- angel --- Please no - not a hip ( pyramid ?) roof . For Your house -I think your house would look better with a shed sloped roof ,that is high in the front sloping to the back - Or I would prefer to see a flat roof if you are going more with a modern house style . Because you have arches and pillers in front , I think you should do something more of a Mediterrain roof , and a hip ( pyramid ) roof will not look right . This also means that terracotta clay roof tiles maybe the right look for the roof finish . Look up these style homes on Houzz and look at the roof styles - that might help you see what they look like .
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:11AM
decoenthusiaste
Angel - you're going to get some crazy in put here if you don't post a picture of what you call a pyramid roof. And ask Houzzers to be sure and post pics of the roof they're describing to you. Otherwise, there will be lots of poor communications.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 9:18AM
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:36PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Angel, That is a hipped roof. My advice from previously is the same. You need someone that understands construction, like me, only in your area.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:48PM
angel
ok...thank u....cn u advice hw many hipped roofs there shld b on the house??
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:56PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I can't tell from your photo how many areas extend beyond the basic rectangle. Think of it this way...the biggest rectangle you can draw on top of your floor plan, without going over empty areas, is the main roof (there is a way to go over the empty areas to make a bigger roof, but it is too complex for right now). Anything that doesn't fit under that big rectangle needs to be another piece of roof that ties back to the big roof. It will look the same, but shorter than the main roof. There are formulas for cutting the rafters and the hips (the diagonals that are the corners of your "pyramid"). If you are doing a Tuscan look, this style of roof is appropriate, especially with terra cotta barrel tiles for the roofing. I hope this helps you understand...but this type of roof is difficult to explain and to build. Please look for a local professional that can help you out of this dilemma. There are many contractors, architects and design/builders that are listed on houzz. Contact one of them to assist you. If you have no one in your area with the expertise or the ability to draw your roof, I can help more...please email me to discuss how that can happen. davidironwood@yahoo.com
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Garden design ideas
Hi all I have a garden that is roughly half an acre...
Cost of heated driveway and entry stairs.
Will be replacing a black top circle driveway and concrete...
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
Family room update
I need help with wall decor, art etc. Also input for...
Painting a wooden mantle
We recently moved into a home, and in the family room...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.