Professionals
Users
What type of mirror would look best?
mhixenbaugh
February 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the half bath in hallway.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marilyn Wilkie
I love your pedestal sink. Beautiful. An oval mirror would be great...not too small.
On this site do a search for "mirror" in browse rooms. It will come up with - "43,625 mirror Home Design Photos". Amazing!
February 3, 2013 at 7:28AM     
PRO
Imago Creative Living
Since it is a small space I would suggest keeping it simple as to not overwhelm it. I'm attaching 3 pics that will help you compare heavy vs fine for this space. Depending on your taste I'd find a shape that you like but that flows with the sink. Make sure to not exceed the width of the sink.
February 3, 2013 at 7:29AM     
claudiann
We have an oval medicine cabinet mirror in both our bathrooms that we love. It looks just like a large oval mirror, but it swings open to provide storage.
February 3, 2013 at 5:34PM     
missangel99
I think oval would look really good.
February 3, 2013 at 5:37PM     
PRO
Banarsi Designs
Agreed with dZign & Interiors. An oval shaped mirror would look great, without being too big. I've also found simple oval mirrors to be too plain for my tastes, I would suggest exploring ones that have a simple and elegant design incorporated within one (without being too overpowering). Perhaps a mirror that has a detailed elegant border...

Best,

Pavel
pavel@banarsidesigns.com http://www.banarsidesigns.com
February 3, 2013 at 5:43PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It all depends on the look your trying to achieve. The sink looks cottage style. I had the same one in my former lake cabin. I paired it with a antique beveled edge decorative mirror. It made a nice combination.
February 3, 2013 at 5:45PM     
cjohnston
Your pedestal has some interesting angles and curves, so I suggest a modified arched mirror. It would complement your pedestal sink and give more interest than a standard oval mirror. Owners Bath Frameless Crown Arch Frameless 32" High Beveled Wall Mirror Nico Arch Mirror
February 3, 2013 at 5:58PM     
PRO
Renaissance Designs and Staging
A client of mine wanted a mirror over their powder room pedestal sink. I selected this rectangular mirror framed with antique ceiling tins. They love the look and the pedestal sink looks very similar to yours. I found this mirror at an antiques show. Good luck.
February 3, 2013 at 6:17PM   
PRO
Renaissance Designs and Staging
Antique mirror photo from previous post:
February 3, 2013 at 6:19PM     
Marilyn Wilkie
CJohnston that master bath is just beautiful and the frameless mirrors are perfect!
February 3, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Lkristine
And oval mirror seems like it might accentuate the narrowness of the room, where as a round mirror could make it "appear" a little wider........ http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Glow-Modern-Frameless-Wall-Mirror/4311800/product.html
February 3, 2013 at 6:25PM     
elwillems
I think an oval mirror would look super nice!!
February 3, 2013 at 6:30PM     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider a Venetian mirror. They are available in many unique shapes and add a touch of elegance for such a small space.
February 3, 2013 at 6:44PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree that a Venetian mirror would look great.
February 3, 2013 at 7:50PM     
February 3, 2013 at 9:20PM     
nikkimer555
Here's another option-it's quite old but would work
February 12, 2013 at 6:04AM   
bevballew
I would go with an oval mirror. Perhaps something like the starburst ones very popular right now. The sink is not contemporary. A rectangle would be nice also, not too ornate. What are you doing with the walls? Paint, wallpaper. You can go to a home depot and purchase a couple of mirrors of different styles to see what you like. Then return them or keep one of them that you like. The faucet also determines the look. It is stainless so a gold color style probably will not work. I see a round, oval or rectangle with a silver or metal type frame.
February 12, 2013 at 6:15AM     
mhixenbaugh
This is what I have done so far.
February 12, 2013 at 6:56AM   
bevballew
If you want some drama you need to find a wallpaper, or tile such as the glass tiles, or a dramatic paint color. You can tile one wall only. A beautiful grass cloth wallpaper would be pretty. Dark brown is a beautiful color, although dark. There again you can paint one wall. With the design of the base of the sink you can follow a style that fits that look. I can see a soft ribbon paper. It is striped. Close to the same color, one stripe is iridescent and the other a matte finish. You can also do a faux finish on the walls such as Venetian plaster. I think a floral would be way too much. A beautiful pewter color on the walls, whether paper or paint. There are those aluminum ceiling tiles that are stamped with designs. I would go through bathroom ideas on the Internet and find a look you like. No color except for neutrals on the walls. A deep plum could be pretty, but no pastel colors.
February 12, 2013 at 7:09AM